• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR will pass through 4K but not HDR to your 4KTV

DjRalford

Good God, a ton of testing has gone into this, lol
Happy to see Gaffers coming together to hopefully resolve this problem.

So, am I right in saying that after reading the last two pages, we're currently just waiting for a PS4 Pro to test the Sewell Switch to see if it works with no issues due to the PS4 Pro having the correct HDMI specifications?

Pretty much yeah

Stike

Okay, here is my temp solution until something else comes along:

I added an HDMI splitter to my setup (one input, two output)

Setup as follows:

PS4 ---
...........|
...........IN_Splitter-OUT--------------TV HDMI 1
................................|
........................PSVR Box---------TV HDMI 2
............................PSVR

The drawback of this solution is that PSVR will disable HDR as discussed earlier in this thread, because the splitter "downgrades" the signal to the lowest common denominator.

HOWEVER, this happens only for as long as the PSVR box has power!

So if you just unplug the AC adapter of the PSVR box, or disable it in any other way, you can get your HDR signal on TV HDMI 1.

If you want to play VR, plug in the AC adapter (or flip a power switch if you install one) and go to TV HDMI 2, and it is good to go.

You have to plug/unplug something, and this solution takes 2 ports on your TV, but it works, for now.

Okay, here is my temp solution until something else comes along:

I added an HDMI splitter to my setup (one input, two output)

Setup as follows:

PS4 ---
...........|
...........IN_Splitter-OUT--------------TV HDMI 1
........................PSVR Box---------TV HDMI 2
............................PSVR

The drawback of this solution is that PSVR will disable HDR as discussed earlier in this thread, because the splitter "downgrades" the signal to the lowest common denominator.

HOWEVER, this happens only for as long as the PSVR box has power!

So if you just unplug the AC adapter of the PSVR box, or disable it in any other way, you can get your HDR signal on TV HDMI 1.

If you want to play VR, plug in the AC adapter (or flip a power switch if you install one) and go to TV HDMI 2, and it is good to go.

You have to plug/unplug something, and this solution takes 2 ports on your TV, but it works, for now.

Can we get an MS Paint drawing? :D
I can't make sense of that typed one, lol

Stike

Can we get an MS Paint drawing? :D
I can't make sense of that typed one, lol

Sure. I went all the way and made a full explanation picture. Hope this helps.

hdrsplitter.png

Blimey, thats impressive!

Ok, I understand it now, but it almost seems too simple...

And has this been tested? Obviously not with a PS4 Pro but via other methods and proven to work?

Stike

Blimey, thats impressive!

Ok, I understand it now, but it almost seems too simple...

And has this been tested? Obviously not with a PS4 Pro but via other methods and proven to work?
Why do you say it's too simple?

Yes, it is tested, as stated above, this is my setup and it works so far.

The only drawbacks are that 2 HDMI ports on the TV are taken and you still have to deactivate the PSVR breakout box in some way. Unplugging or turning it off, both works and stops the splitter from downgrading the signal, thus forwarding HDR to the TV.

EDIT: Right, I remember the trouble with the switch, which caused those weird sparkle artifacts in VR. I have played some VR games with the splitter installed and there are no quality issues with the image at all.

This is the splitter I bought. Just make sure it is an HDR compatible splitter. I got it from another retailer for 40 bucks. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01KXCO4VU/

Why do you say it's too simple?

Yes, it is tested, as stated above, this is my setup and it works so far.

The only drawbacks are that 2 HDMI ports on the TV are taken and you still have to deactivate the PSVR breakout box in some way. Unplugging or turning it off, both works and stops the splitter from downgrading the signal, thus forwarding HDR to the TV.

Oh, not simple in a bad way, just one of those types of things where it almost seems too easy after everything everyone in here has tried, lol

So, I assume your simply using the PS4 with HDR mode on at the moment to replicate the Pro essentially?

Have you got a link to the splitter box / device your using?

I'm hoping for a solution that limits swapping any HDMI leads at all, so if it means I lose one on the TV for this, I'm happy for it to happen, so that wouldnt bother me.

Stike

Oh, not simple in a bad way, just one of those types of things where it almost seems too easy after everything everyone in here has tried, lol

So, I assume your simply using the PS4 with HDR mode on at the moment to replicate the Pro essentially?

Have you got a link to the splitter box / device your using?

I'm hoping for a solution that limits swapping any HDMI leads at all, so if it means I lose one on the TV for this, I'm happy for it to happen, so that wouldnt bother me.
Yes, I sucessfully had TLOU run on my regular PS4 in HDR mode, it's what I used to test this setup. The TV itself (and the display menu in TLOU) told me when HDR was working and when it was not.

Yeah, on the 10th I will just swap the PS4 with the Pro :)

See my edit of the post above for the link. I don't think it has to be this exact brand, just like the switch there seem to be many rebranded clones of the same device. In the end, if it says HDR and looks like that box, you should be good ;)

Yes, just pulling the power plug of the VR breakout box does the trick. Due to this, there is no signal on that port, and the splitter does not downgrade. No HDMI cables need to be plugged or unplugged.

It seems pretty clear that an 18Gbps HDMI cable (Certified Premium) is required, should a switch be introduced into the chain. And, this is a completely unsubstantiated claim, but I would hazard a guess a 24AWG HDMI cable would also do the trick, due to decreased signal resistance.

I could use some spare HDMI cables, as a general rule, so I am going to be ordering these from MonoPrice. Since they are Certified Premium, I suspect they will work exactly the same as Microsoft's/Vizio's cable. I'll update the thread when I get them in. I am also curious about the 24AWG theory, so I'm snagging this HDMI cable, as well.
Update on this! I received my MonoPrice cables in the mail today (see above). Here's my findings (all 3ft cables):

• Certified Premium cables (CPC) to the switch, then CPC to the PS VR Processing unit yielded a perfect signal.
  • CPC to the switch, then Amazon Basics High Speed Cable (ABHSC) to the PS VR Processing unit yielded a perfect signal.
  • 24 AWG HDMI Cable to the switch, then CPC to the PS VR Processing unit yielded a perfect signal.
  • 24 AWG HDMI Cable to the switch, then Amazon Basics High Speed Cable[/URL] (ABHSC) to the PS VR Processing unit yielded a perfect signal.
The signal from the PlayStation 4* to the switch must be impeccable. The surefire way to accomplish this is with a Certified Premium Cable, which are rated and tested for 18 Gbps transmission. And since the 24 AWG cable offers such low impedance, it, too, is able to hit that same signal speed.

Conclusion? Use Certified Premium Cables, if introducing an HDMI switch. It's not a bad idea to adopt these cables, as a general, since the PS4 Pro is HDMI 2.0a and assuredly will utilize the full bandwidth of the pipeline. And that's not even mentioning that future HDMI 2.0a devices we'll start use as they become more commonplace.

*This pertains to the launch model of the PS4, as reported by .hacked. On Thursday we can do further testing with the PS4 Pro (I'm hyped)!

It seems that there's no getting around this.

Thanks for relaying your results!

EDIT: Right, I remember the trouble with the switch, which caused those weird sparkle artifacts in VR. I have played some VR games with the splitter installed and there are no quality issues with the image at all.
That's certainly because the splitter is powered. Would you please relay what HDMI cables you use throughout your chain?

That's the drawback of using a splitter as a solution. I believe the HDMI switch is the clear-cut best solution here. Once configured, it's the difference between pushing a button or mucking about with the devices in one way or another.

Thanks to everyone's work in this thread, we can, with the utmost confidence, say we do!

As GAFfers start to purchase said solutions, maybe we can cull together a master list of "tried-and-true" HDMI devices?

So, what I'm getting from the last few posts are the following:

Two Possible Solutions (Dumbed down greatly)

1. Introduce a spitter and unplug the processing box when its not needed to keep the HDR signal.

2. Introduce a switch with the correct cables and only need to press a switch to get the correct signal.

Obviously theres much more to it and I'm incredibly grateful personally for everyone putting in the time and effort to solve this situation.

So, now we wait until Pro Launch Day to see which is the best / most cost effective?

So, what I'm getting from the last few posts are the following:

Two Possible Solutions (Dumbed down greatly)

1. Introduce a spitter and unplug the processing box when its not needed to keep the HDR signal.

2. Introduce a switch with the correct cables and only need to press a switch to get the correct signal.

Obviously theres much more to it and I'm incredibly grateful personally for everyone putting in the time and effort to solve this situation.

So, now we wait until Pro Launch Day to see which is the best / most cost effective?
No, I wouldn't say you're dumbing down the process at all. That's pretty much it! :p

Well, even with the PS4 Pro, those solutions will not change. The introduction of the PS4 Pro will determine whether or not the HDMI cables needed should be certified. As .hacked said, his Uncharted 4 PS4 didn't need the Certified Premium cables with the switch in the middle of the chain. The PS4 Pro may be able to follow suit, but since it is pushing a true HDMI 2.0a signal, it may be as fickle as the launch PS4s.

Rainer70

My new AVR should be coming today, as well as the Sewell HDMI switch. Also bought 5 CPCs from Monoprice that should be here this week. Hopefully my new KS8000 doesn't come too much after the Pro comes. Ordered on 11/1 with 7-10 business days shipping so I'm assuming next week and then I'll be all set!

SOLDIER

When you say "turning off" the PSVR box, do you mean the power on/off button located on the PSVR's headset?

Because wouldn't that mean the PSVR is off by default unless you turn it back on?

As for the coupler method, the thing I still don't understand is whether you need a third HDMI cable, or just the two that are included in the default setup (the PS4's and the PSVR's)?

Stike

When you say "turning off" the PSVR box, do you mean the power on/off button located on the PSVR's headset?

Because wouldn't that mean the PSVR is off by default unless you turn it back on?

As for the coupler method, the thing I still don't understand is whether you need a third HDMI cable, or just the two that are included in the default setup (the PS4's and the PSVR's)?

No, just turning off the headset does nothing. The PSVR breakout box is still powered through its own power plug, causing the splitter to downgrade the signal. So you actually have to turn off the power of the box in some way. Either that, or disconnecting the HDMI.

SOLDIER

No, just turning off the headset does nothing. The PSVR breakout box is still powered through its own power plug, causing the splitter to downgrade the signal. So you actually have to turn off the power of the box in some way. Either that, or disconnecting the HDMI.

It sounds like the coupler method is the easier/cheaper option, then.

Still confused how the setup for that one works. Which HDMI cable goes where? If there was a diagram or something I could probably make sense of it.

It sounds like the coupler method is the easier/cheaper option, then.
How is the coupler the easier option? With a coupler, swapping HDMI cables still has to happen. With a switch, there is no unplugging/plugging cables. Press the button and 4K + HDR on! 👍

SOLDIER

How is the coupler the easier option? With a coupler, swapping HDMI cables still has to happen. With a switch, there is no unplugging/plugging cables. Press the button and 4K + HDR on! 👍

Maybe I misread, but it sounded like you would still have to manually unplug/turn off the PSVR box.

If that's not the case, what's the cheapest compatible switch?

SOLDIER

So is it a definite that HDMI switches will work, and you don't have to manually unplug/turn off the PSVR box?

If so, what's the cheapest switch that is confirmed to work?

Maybe I misread, but it sounded like you would still have to manually unplug/turn off the PSVR box.
Nope, set it and forget it.

The fundamental problem we're trying to fix is being able to display PS VR content to the TV, when necessary, while still sending HDR content through normal output. The easiest way I could explain how we can make that happen with a switch is in this post:

(Keep in mind, > represents a Certified Premium HDMI cable.)
PlayStation 4 > Switch >
  1. Pioneer SC-95 AVR > Vizio P65-C1
  2. PS VR Breakout Box > Vizio P65-C1
So is it a definite that HDMI switches will work, and you don't have to manually unplug/turn off the PSVR box?
Yep, we can safely say this now. Of course, with the caveat of making sure Certified Premium HDMI cables are used. Which isn't bad all-around advice, really.

If so, what's the cheapest switch that is confirmed to work?
A few other GAFfers have picked up HDMI switches. The first one that got advertised in the thread was one made by Sewell that I picked up. I can attest to both it quality and functionality. Also, dealing with their technical support was very positive!

This stuff can get pretty confusing real quick, I've found. Keeping track of HDCP, HDMI specs, and device capabilities? Oy vey!

Tagg9

A few other GAFfers have picked up HDMI switches. The first one that got advertised in the thread was one made by Sewell that I picked up. I can attest to both it quality and functionality. Also, dealing with their technical support was very positive!

This stuff can get pretty confusing real quick, I've found. Keeping track of HDCP, HDMI specs, and device capabilities? Oy vey!

Just to confirm, this is the same switch on Amazon CA? Also, what's the cheapest place to get a certified premium HDMI cable from?

Arc07

The description on Amazon is the only reason I haven't picked this up yet.
Amazon said:
Supports up to Full 4k and UHD resolutions at 30Hz including 1080p at 60 Hz
So will this not do 4K @60Hz?

Just to confirm, this is the same switch on Amazon CA? Also, what's the cheapest place to get a certified premium HDMI cable from?
MonoPrice at about $4 USD a pop.
The description on Amazon is the only reason I haven't picked this up yet.

So will this not do 4K @60Hz?
It will. The description is misleading. Sewell confirmed that the switch merely does a pin-to-pin mapping. It's maybe easier to think of it as a coupler with a button. 😜 I was able to play a UHD Blu through the switch without issue, so that confirms the HDMI 2.0a functionality (which 4K @ 60 is a part of). I'm crashing for the night, but there's a lot of information over the course of the last few pages.

Stike

Welp, sounds like I can exchange the splitter with a switch then!

I went the splitter route due to the confusing quality problem, but it apparently turned out to be a cable quality problem.

Mathieran

Banned
So I'm planning on just passing the psvr box with a coupler since I won't be using the social screen very often. It won't bother me to unplug them and slap them into the PU every so often. So I will need to buy a second premium hdmi cable right? I suck at all this tech talk but that's what I'm gathering from this. I don't have a 4K or HDR tv but I assume I will still need this cable to receive the benefits of the pro on my games?

SOLDIER

Nope, set it and forget it.

The fundamental problem we're trying to fix is being able to display PS VR content to the TV, when necessary, while still sending HDR content through normal output. The easiest way I could explain how we can make that happen with a switch is in this post:

(Keep in mind, > represents a Certified Premium HDMI cable.)

Yep, we can safely say this now. Of course, with the caveat of making sure Certified Premium HDMI cables are used. Which isn't bad all-around advice, really.

So will I require an additional HDMI cable for this setup? I'm still new to 4K and I'm not positive what kind of cable I need to get the full 4K experience.

So if I get this switch, then I will enjoy the total benefits of 4K+HDR+whatever, and just need to hit this switch whenever I want to play PSVR, right?

So in other words it would go like this:

1. Want to play PS4 Pro with HDR? Switch to 1

2. Want to play PSVR on your PS4 Pro while "temporarily" disabling HDR? Switch to 2

Is that how it works?

So in other words it would go like this:

1. Want to play PS4 Pro with HDR? Switch to 1

2. Want to play PSVR on your PS4 Pro while "temporarily" disabling HDR? Switch to 2

Is that how it works?
Yep, pretty much.

The thing that sucks, is when you switch to option 2 while the PS4 is on, it disables the HDR option in the PS4's Video Options. It then becomes a matter of re-enabling it on the PS4 again when switching from Option 2 to Option 1 again. Not a big deal, but details.

I'm curious to see if the HDR settings will automatically adjust from a powered off state.

So will I require an additional HDMI cable for this setup? I'm still new to 4K and I'm not positive what kind of cable I need to get the full 4K experience.
You will need a minimum of three HDMI cables. As for the type? It'll be best practice to get Certified Premium HDMI cables. For any UHD device, really.

From HDMI Founders have this to say:

HDMI Founders said:
Cables are tested to ensure they support the full 18Gbps bandwidth from the HDMI 2.0b specification plus an EMI test to ensure cables minimize interference with wireless signals.

The program is designed to give end users confidence when purchasing new HDMI cables for their 4K/UltraHD products that may include features such as 4K@60Hz, BT.2020 and HDR.

MonoPrice is a good place to get these cables without breaking the bank. They've been around for a long time and I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything but positive reviews of them.

SOLDIER

Yep, pretty much.

The thing that sucks, is when you switch to option 2 while the PS4 is on, it disables the HDR option in the PS4's Video Options. It then becomes a matter of re-enabling it on the PS4 again when switching from Option 2 to Option 1 again. Not a big deal, but details.

I'm curious to see if the HDR settings will automatically adjust from a powered off state.

You will need a minimum of three HDMI cables. As for the type? It'll be best practice to get Certified Premium HDMI cables. For any UHD device, really.

From HDMI Founders have this to say:

MonoPrice is a good place to get these cables without breaking the bank. They've been around for a long time and I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything but positive reviews of them.

Does the PS4 disable HDR on the video options even if you switch from 1-2 (or vice versa) while the system is off? Does it also do this if I go with the coupler option (where you manually unplug/replug between two cables depending what you want to do)?

Also, why would I need three HDMI cables? Wouldn't I be using the PS4 Pro's included cable, the PSVR's cable, and a third one that I would have to buy separately?

And on the subject of HDMI cables, is there any benefit at all to using certified HDMI cables on devices that don't use 4K (like the Wii U, Apple TV or my PC)? Or would the upscaling be the same regardless of what cable or whether it's even directly connected to the TV?

Does the PS4 disable HDR on the video options even if you switch from 1-2 (or vice versa) while the system is off?
As I stated to the post you replied to, I don't know. It's worth checking out. I'll be home in about 3 hours. I'll check then.

Does it also do this if I go with the coupler option (where you manually unplug/replug between two cables depending what you want to do)?
Dunno. Anyone with a coupler able to relay results?

Also, why would I need three HDMI cables? Wouldn't I be using the PS4 Pro's included cable, the PSVR's cable, and a third one that I would have to buy separately?
I can see how I wasn't entirely clear here. My recommendation is to use a Certified Premium HDMI cable on every HDMI IN/OUT on the switch. HDMI can be a real fickle beast above and beyond our on-topic discussion. That's a whole separate rant, though. :p

And on the subject of HDMI cables, is there any benefit at all to using certified HDMI cables on devices that don't use 4K (like the Wii U, Apple TV or my PC)? Or would the upscaling be the same regardless of what cable or whether it's even directly connected to the TV?
There would be no benefit to spending the extra money on Certified Premium cables, since they are essentially a seal of approval for HDMI 2.0a compatibility.

I'm not quite understanding the upscaling quesiton. Can you elaborate? Scaling is going to occur at source, endpoint, or dedicated upscaler (AVRs, where applicable, included).

SOLDIER

As I stated to the post you replied to, I don't know. It's worth checking out. I'll be home in about 3 hours. I'll check then.

Dunno. Anyone with a coupler able to relay results?

I can see how I wasn't entirely clear here. My recommendation is to use a Certified Premium HDMI cable on every HDMI IN/OUT on the switch. HDMI can be a real fickle beast above and beyond our on-topic discussion. That's a whole separate rant, though. :p

There would be no benefit to spending the extra money on Certified Premium cables, since they are essentially a seal of approval for HDMI 2.0a compatibility.

I'm not quite understanding the upscaling quesiton. Can you elaborate? Scaling is going to occur at source, endpoint, or dedicated upscaler (AVRs, where applicable, included).

For example: on my current LED I have my Wii U hooked up to an HDMI switch, which connected to the TV using an off-brand HDMI cable from monoprice.

When I get the 4K TV, will I get the same picture result through the Wii U if I skipped the switch and hooked it directly to the TV? Or will there be no difference at all, thus negating any reason to ditch the switch or get a "certified" HDMI cable?

Does the PS4 disable HDR on the video options even if you switch from 1-2 (or vice versa) while the system is off?
UPDATE
The HDR and Deep Color output settings stayed set to Automatic from powering on the PS4 from an off state, regardless of whether or now I had the switch going to the UHDTV or the Processing Unit. I also fully tested an HDR game, Deus Ex, and a PS VR game, PlayRoom. The settings remained the same and I did get HDR in Deus Ex in two attempts.

I could not, however, get a PS VR image out of the PS4 when switching HDMI inputs from PS4 being in rest mode.

Long story short, if using an HDMI switch, fully power off the PS4 before switching outputs. Again, a pain in the ass, but still better than the alternative.

When I get the 4K TV, will I get the same picture result through the Wii U if I skipped the switch and hooked it directly to the TV? Or will there be no difference at all, thus negating any reason to ditch the switch or get a "certified" HDMI cable?
Will you be hooking up your PS4Pro and PS VR to this same switch?

Stike

Can anyone comment on this HDMI splitter please?
It says it's supports HDR, but it only support 4:4:4 up to 30Hz, even though it is HDMI 2.0a?
Is this not an advisable thing to buy?

http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables...k60hz-hdmi-splitter-1x2-hdmi-20-splitter.html
Coming from a different thread, there is a technical hurdle in the current HDMI cable specifications, which is a bandwidth limit, causing EITHER HDMI to transfer 4K@30fps in 4:4:4, OR transfer 4K@60 in 4:2:0. Which means, this splitter DOES work as intended and it will support also 4K@60fps, but not with 4:4:4. Which is totally normal. I hope this helps.

This is relayed in Sony's PlayStation 4 Pro FAQ and I think it's important to stress. For the least amount of headches with any HDMI 2.0a chain, use Certified Premium HDMI cables. One only need to spend 5 minutes over at AVSForums to read of HDMI handshake issues between varying devices.

PlayStation said:
Q: What video output settings does PS4 Pro support?
At launch, PS4 Pro supports all of the HD video output settings found on the standard PS4. Notably, PS4 Pro introduces 4K output, with settings for both 2160p YUV420 and 2160p RGB (recommended if your TV supports it) at up to 60 frames per second when using a supported 4K TV and Premium HDMI (aka HDMI 2.0) cable.

SOLDIER

So with the Pro approaching as well as new 4K TVs for a lot of us, can we finally get an official answer on what is verified to work and what we need?

For the coupler, what's verified to do the trick and how many certified HDMI cables are you going to need, not counting the cables included with the Pro and PSVR box?

For the switch, which one will work without the need to shut off anything, and same question regarding the cable?

So with the Pro approaching as well as new 4K TVs for a lot of us, can we finally get an official answer on what is verified to work and what we need?

For the coupler, what's verified to do the trick and how many certified HDMI cables are you going to need, not counting the cables included with the Pro and PSVR box?

For the switch, which one will work without the need to shut off anything, and same question regarding the cable?
I'm on mobile right now, so forgive this answer. :-(

It's all here in the thread.

Tagg9

Question - I've decided that I don't really care about HDR (it adds too much lag for my TV), so do I still need to worry about this? Only I remember that some people said the PSVR breakout box degrades the 4K signal.

jobrro

Does this mean the breakout box also does not support HDCP 2.2? I have connected the PS4 Pro directly to my monitor and it will say HDCP 2.2, but when it goes through the breakout box it only says HDCP 1.4.

I haven't done much troubleshooting yet, has anyone else seen HDCP 2.2 show up through the breakout box?

Netflix and Amazon 4K streaming is going to require HDCP 2.2, right?

SOLDIER

I'm on mobile right now, so forgive this answer. :-(

It's all here in the thread.

It's been a bit of a mess with all the different responses.

For the coupler, I specifically want to know if I have to order any additional HDMI cables, other than the ones that come with the PS4 Pro and PSVR processor.

It's been a bit of a mess with all the different responses.

For the coupler, I specifically want to know if I have to order any additional HDMI cables, other than the ones that come with the PS4 Pro and PSVR processor.
I've been trying to give you a better response, but every time I try to add more to my post-in-progress, work yanks me away. Stupid work! :p

For the coupler option you needn't worry about anything other than having a coupler. A coupler is basically a cable extender, so try to think of it that way.

charpunk

Looks like my Sewell switch is coming today and I'm bringing my pro home from work. Once I get it setup I'll see if the switch will do the trick.

SOLDIER

I've been trying to give you a better response, but every time I try to add more to my post-in-progress, work yanks me away. Stupid work! :p

For the coupler option you needn't worry about anything other than having a coupler. A coupler is basically a cable extender, so try to think of it that way.

So I don't need an additional HDMI cable? That's the part that was confusing me, as I kept looking at the three ports on the coupler and thinking "three HDMI cables?"

If that's not the case, can you link me once more on a coupler that's guaranteed to work? I'd rather go the cheap option for now since I've already invested in a Pro, a 4K TV, and probably a bunch of other crap in the coming weeks.

Edit: Will this do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HAVTCN2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Only $5 Prime and I'll get it by Saturday.

So I don't need an additional HDMI cable? That's the part that was confusing me, as I kept looking at the three ports on the coupler and thinking "three HDMI cables?"

If that's not the case, can you link me once more on a coupler that's guaranteed to work? I'd rather go the cheap option for now since I've already invested in a Pro, a 4K TV, and probably a bunch of other crap in the coming weeks.

Edit: Will this do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HAVTCN2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Only $5 Prime and I'll get it by Saturday.

Looks good to me. Some times this AV stuff can get very confusing very fast. Here's how your setup will be with the Coupler. -----> indicates an HDMI cable.

PS4 -----> Coupler
-----> PS VR Processing Unit​
-----> HDTV​

With the coupler, you're swapping HDMI cables from the coupler, rather than the PS4 itself. It's a solution more or less for saving the wear-and-tear on your PS4's HDMI output.

Did I explain that well enough?

SOLDIER

Looks good to me. Some times this AV stuff can get very confusing very fast. Here's how your setup will be with the Coupler. -----> indicates an HDMI cable.

PS4 -----> Coupler
-----> PS VR Processing Unit​
-----> HDTV​

With the coupler, you're swapping HDMI cables from the coupler, rather than the PS4 itself. It's a solution more or less for saving the wear-and-tear on your PS4's HDMI output.

Did I explain that well enough?

I believe so. Hopefully it'll make more sense once I'm holding the coupler in hand, but with this method I'm basically swapping out between two HDMI cables to one end of the coupler, while the other end remains permanently connected to the PS4 itself, right?

Ordered, thanks for the help.

FHIZ

That swell switch was creating all storts of garbage artifacts on my screen. Plugged the Pro directly into my TV with the cable that came with it and it went away. Looks like I'll just be doing HDMI switching :(

Top Bottom