• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Thanks for the code, Cels.

Now I own the Dew skin and the Wild Wings Nose Art. Yet I do not feel victorious. I feel ashamed of my words and deeds

deoee

Looks like I have montage to distract me from my exam studies :)

Really curious what you'll make :O

I'm very late to the party but I recently bought a new PC (after 8 years) and a friend recommended the game. It's a lot of fun! The single player was a huge surprise in how fun it was with all the set pieces and traversal.

I'm just starting multiplayer, and I think I'll get the hang of it, but my only worry is the player base - are there enough people playing? It was a sobering experience going into multi for the first time and having to wait a good bit to find a match. Or do people only play attrition?

Usually Mixtabe, 24/7 and BH are populated enough so you get into a match in seconds.
If you struggle to find a match late night or early morning consider switching your Data Center to another one (lower left corner in the main menu)

SwolBro

Banned
The standard of player is absolute dogshit on PC. The game isn't that hard to understand and play. The TTK is so low that even farting in someone's general direction should get you at least 5 kills per game. How the fuck are 99% of players so shit?

It is appalling but how good were gamers at unreal and quake? there weren't many. General population is god awful at games that require tons of fast mobility and accuracy. I've seen "pro" COD players get on Titanfall, get wrecked, call the game shit, and quit.

So many of these "pro" circuit games don't impress me at all. Counter-strike is the PC FPS gold standard and that requires 1 fucking skill. High level twitch aiming. That's it. You see someone, you aim, they die in a millisecond. There's no real duals. You aren't flying around maps like the early days of PC first person shooters battling someone up and down all over the damn place.

The capable seem to stick with League of Legends type stuff and that's not for me.

deoee

It is appalling but how good were gamers at unreal and quake? there weren't many. General population is god awful at games that require tons of fast mobility and accuracy. I've seen "pro" COD players get on Titanfall, get wrecked, call the game shit, and quit.

So many of these "pro" circuit games don't impress me at all. Counter-strike is the PC FPS gold standard and that requires 1 fucking skill. High level twitch aiming. That's it. You see someone, you aim, they die in a millisecond. There's no real duals. You aren't flying around maps like the early days of PC first person shooters battling someone up and down all over the damn place.

The capable seem to stick with League of Legends type stuff and that's not for me.

I agree. It's a shame people are so so SO bad at games that it sours your own experience.
How can people have like 2 minion kills in Attrition?
How can they have 20$ in BH?
What happens there? Are they playing with a Joystick or Drumpedals?
I sometimes do not understad how those people got into gaming or FPS if their skill is abysmal.

SwolBro

Banned
I agree. It's a shame people are so so SO bad at games that it sours your own experience.
How can people have like 2 minion kills in Attrition?
How can they have 20$ in BH?
What happens there? Are they playing with a Joystick or Drumpedals?
I sometimes do not understad how those people got into gaming or FPS if their skill is abysmal.

And this is part of the reason i'm going nuts over CTF. At least in Titanfall 1 going into CTF there was a good chance you'd run into a decent to god tier level player on the other side. It made things interesting waiting in a lobby and one by one superstars would start dropping in. Things would get sweaty fast.

Now all i play is how 'many kills can i stack?

E92 M3

As long as people are supporting my favorite medium, I don't care how they play. None of us started out good. I was pretty garbo at my first fps (on the PC). I'll take a whole team of beginners as long as new people keep buying Titanfall and videogames in general.

Can't wait to start playing again once the flu passes.

Zemm

There's waaay more skill in CS:GO than just aiming. I'd even say that's the game that requires the most skill of any mainstream FPS right now. The difference between the top players and bottom is much larger than any other.

KodaRuss

I kinda scratch my head a little on some of the poorest of players in this game. I have seen some just pitiful scores sometimes.

I feel ridiculous scoring 3k all the time and no one else on my team breaks 1000 in BH. I know there is some of me stealing a lot of the points from my team but generally I try to leave points alone if a lot of my team is there killing mobs.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I was feeling myself hassling this auto-Ronin. Should have just let Titanfall finish the job because...well, yeah xD
(Please ignore the spray and pray at the start >_>)

Haha! I love how it even occurs to them that saying "no" might actually work xD

https://streamable.com/36kv

This is great. Pilot takes out a Legion all by himself by being an absolute pest. Legion needed help from that Ronin to take out that Pilot haha.

Usually if something like this happens to move I just say F it and move on. You are wasting my time and I have bigger fish to fry.

So good. I like how he just gives in at the A-wall. Says hi in chat and calls it a day.

https://youtu.be/6u1a3YNdQqw

I get a a pretty satisfying nuke triple kill around 1.30 here.

Damn son. Nuclear bomb just teleports into the party.

Fit your BH clip criteria Izuna? Cheeky rather than impressive.

http://xboxclips.com/calderc/de6f4176-8a0a-473f-8c18-b6ecd7a103c2

This is just beautiful. "Hey, whatthe--"

Damn Legion is fun. Smart core makes mince meat of pilots especially on maps like homestead

Still, Scorch is GOAT.

Any advice on Legion? What should i use for loadour

Zemm

The game is soo good when you aren't getting Crash Site over and over. I think all my annoyances with the game mostly stem from that map and aren't a big deal anywhere else (apart from Complex, another shitty map which thankfully doesn't show up as much as Crash Site).

Remove those two maps and I honestly think the game would be 99% fine (there'll always be something).

SwolBro

Banned
There's waaay more skill in CS:GO than just aiming. I'd even say that's the game that requires the most skill of any mainstream FPS right now. The difference between the top players and bottom is much larger than any other.

some how i knew you'd say that. all PC players love to pretend that CS is something it isn't. There's 1 skill and 1 skill only. Twitch aiming.

Everything else is the same attributes you'd find in any other shooter

• awareness
  • map knowledge
  • teamwork
  • timing
  • strategy
and so on.

It's a pretty straightforward one dimensional game. Nothing too complex about it. That's not to say that being a twitch snapping neck god is easy because it's not and most people can't do it but to say it requires more than that is nonsense. I like my first person shooters to be more like fighting games, and less like Counter-strike/COD.

Discobird

Turbo Engine is mandatory. Hidden Compartment is very strong and probably his best kit. Extra ammo is second best in most cases, and better if you expect to be fighting more pilots than titans. I'm not a big fan of Smart Core (no crits) so I dislike Sensor Array. I find Gun Shield is strong enough by default so Bulwark isn't really necessary, plus enemy Titans often wait out the shield rather than try to power through it. Light-Weight Alloys isn't worth it because you still can't move at regular speed while spinning up.

The thing about Legion is he's not very good against other Titans at close range. He can't pick his fights, can't escape a bad situation, and doesn't really do that much DPS. Nor does he have any real outplay potential. Everyone else wrecks you (if played properly) except maybe Northstar, and Northstar can just run and drop a cluster/tether at your feet. Even if you win a close range fight, you'll take a lot of damage in the process, and God help you if the other Titan has their core because Smart Core is terrible for 1v1s due to its inability to crit.

So you want to stay in long range mode and fire double Power Shots at people. Each Power shot is 2000 damage, or 80% of one health bar (and they can crit!). Two quick Power Shots will chunk that Ronin or Northstar to less than half health. You'll want to play him a lot like Northstar, in fact--peek around corners when the Power Shots are ready and unload on unsuspecting enemies at long range, left click until they turn around, then go back behind cover and wait for Power Shot to recharge. If you shoot the enemy from the back or sides, you can often land both Power Shots before they manage to use their defensive ability. Unlike Northstar, you have a real defensive ability and a lot of health, so you have the option of activating Gun Shield and continuing to shoot after your Power Shots are used up.

Long range mode is also much better than short range for killing pilots, and a Legion who is properly positioned in long range mode is the best pilot-killing Titan in the game. It's disgusting how easily you can kill pilots who expose themselves for just a second while you're revved up.

So, because long range Legion is so good, and short range Legion is so bad, I don't pick him on every map. I only play him on maps with open lanes and long sightlines and avoid him on maps where I can be ambushed or forced into a close range fight. Legion can do wonders on Forwardbase Kodai, Homestead, Crash Site, Eden and Black Water Canal, but be very careful running him on Exoplanet or Boomtown.

Oh yeah, don't try and fight a smart pilot who is MGL'ing you from the rooftops. Just throw up your Gun Shield and dash backward out of range. If they're dumb you can shoot them but if they're smart they won't reveal themselves and will change positions unpredictably. Legion can't do a whole lot to pilots in unfavorable terrain.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Thanks to whoever told me to use the extra arc wave kit with Robin in LTS, that made a really big difference. And stim is a must to so you can grab batteries quickly.

What do u guys think of these as dlc:

Kit:

mini thrusters- auto mantle ledges (frees hands to use guns)

Titan kit:

Quick charge: when HP hits 20, it slowly regenerates to 50 when youre out of battle.

RedFury

Damn Legion is fun. Smart core makes mince meat of pilots especially on maps like homestead

Still, Scorch is GOAT.

Pilots
He is, I just started using him. Like the video above he gets shit on by pilots. He has no AoE damage to take out pilots. Always stay in 'close range' mode because it reaches out pretty far and his burst in this mode is a powerful shotgun. Imo this is his most useful attack at taking out pilots, the downside is it has a pretty long windup before it shoots. Just point in they're general direction and you can take out almost everything in front of you in ~30 degree field of view. I highly recommend saving smart core for when your getting hammered by pilots all over and can't get a bead on them because they're jumping in and out like gophers. This will increase your titan survivability exponentially.

Titans
Ok, this is where Legion shines. He melts other titans even Tones and his hard counter Ion if used correctly. I use double storage for a double shotgun/snipe. If you run up on a unsuspecting titan start off with 2 shotguns then start firing, they'll be in Doom state before they can even turn to face you AND you'll have a core from zero. If your face to face it's safe to start the engagement the same way on anyone but Tone and Ion. You have to pick your shots with them anticipate the shield for both and only use you power moves when you feel they'll land. If far away sometimes it's worth unloading on a shielding ion to deplete his energy and his return fire is to inaccurate to hurt. Against a Ronin they're cake if you don't fuck up. Shotgun blast to the face as they try to close the distance DO NOT put up your shield until he phase dashes behind you. Turn as quick as you can then put up the shield, if you saved your other shogun blast let him have it and finish off with your full mag. His Smart Core isn't to good at taking out titans but it looks like to me in smart core your burst attacks HIT ALL TARGETS CURRENTLY LOCKED ON (I may be wrong but that's what it looks like). This is amazing when your going up against a mix of Titans and pestering pilots.

Again pilots are your worst enemy as Legion, and shotgun is the best for both. I recommend a dash to get away from nuclear ejection. I'd post more but it's dinner time and my fiance will kill me if I'm at the dinner table on my phone lol.

deburo

Neo Member
And this is part of the reason i'm going nuts over CTF. At least in Titanfall 1 going into CTF there was a good chance you'd run into a decent to god tier level player on the other side. It made things interesting waiting in a lobby and one by one superstars would start dropping in. Things would get sweaty fast.

Now all i play is how 'many kills can i stack?

Been reading your comments and I share your experience 100%. I used to play CTF almost exclusively in R1. Now? Less enjoyable (but still in the top modes) and literally unplayable since nobody's in it. But even if they list it in page 1, reduce the return time, reduce the respawn time, they will still need maps that feel good for it. I hope but I don't kid myself: the mode is dead and it will take a miracle to resurrect it :^)

The only mode I have fun playing now is LTS, and it seems like a lot of stuff lend itself really well to LTS in R2. It's probably the only reason I'll keep coming back to R2. Otherwise I'll be waiting for R3.

I'd like to add one last thing: in R1, I feel like the amount of times I had "cheap" deaths was pretty low. But in R2, it's gotten a lot bigger: died by turrets, guys behind walls, turning corners, reaperfall & reaper-cornered, a few disrespecting devotion/hemlock players (hehe, but yeah fuck these guns), ..

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh man. I had so much hope for this game. It's still the only multiplayer game I consider playing this year, but man.. I would've been better satisfied with R1++. I don't care about the low population now; or maybe I do, but only to justify a sequel to EA.

Pilots
He is, I just started using him. Like the video above he gets shit on by pilots. He has no AoE damage to take out pilots. Always stay in 'close range' mode because it reaches out pretty far and his burst in this mode is a powerful shotgun. Imo this is his most useful attack at taking out pilots, the downside is it has a pretty long windup before it shoots. Just point in they're general direction and you can take out almost everything in front of you in ~30 degree field of view. I highly recommend saving smart core for when your getting hammered by pilots all over and can't get a bead on them because they're jumping in and out like gophers. This will increase your titan survivability exponentially.

Titans
Ok, this is where Legion shines. He melts other titans even Tones and his hard counter Ion if used correctly. I use double storage for a double shotgun/snipe. If you run up on a unsuspecting titan start off with 2 shotguns then start firing, they'll be in Doom state before they can even turn to face you AND you'll have a core from zero. If your face to face it's safe to start the engagement the same way on anyone but Tone and Ion. You have to pick your shots with them anticipate the shield for both and only use you power moves when you feel they'll land. If far away sometimes it's worth unloading on a shielding ion to deplete his energy and his return fire is to inaccurate to hurt. Against a Ronin they're cake if you don't fuck up. Shotgun blast to the face as they try to close the distance DO NOT put up your shield until he phase dashes behind you. Turn as quick as you can then put up the shield, if you saved your other shogun blast let him have it and finish off with your full mag. His Smart Core isn't to good at taking out titans but it looks like to me in smart core your burst attacks HIT ALL TARGETS CURRENTLY LOCKED ON (I may be wrong but that's what it looks like). This is amazing when your going up against a mix of Titans and pestering pilots.

Again pilots are your worst enemy as Legion, and shotgun is the best for both. I recommend a dash to get away from nuclear ejection. I'd post more but it's dinner time and my fiance will kill me if I'm at the dinner table on my phone lol.

How do i use the shotgun?? I switch from long to short range but it doesnt make a diff on titans it seems

RedFury

Thats how I used to play and now feel it's the shotgun that's best at taking out pilots and grunts. You can instant kill anything in a radiating cone up to mid range. It looks like to me it has the properties of a shotgun without the weakness most video game shotguns get. What I mean is if your in the cone of effect you take full damage, there is no rng on pellets or damage drop off. Your either in its range of effect or your not. Same goes for titans even at mid range, they take full damage. A Tone behind a shield for instance may feel safe but if just his shoulder is peaking and you use it they take full damage.

How do i use the shotgun?? I switch from long to short range but it doesnt make a diff on titans it seems
In short range R1 is a shotgun blast(good from short to mid), in long range R1 is a snipe that does some AoE(good for pretty much any range but sometime difficult to land on an agile titan when close).

Discobird

Thats how I used to play and now feel it's the shotgun that's best at taking out pilots and grunts. You can instant kill anything in a radiating cone up to mid range. It looks like to me it has the properties of a shotgun without the weakness most video game shotguns get. What I mean is if your in the cone of effect you take full damage, there is no rng on pellets or damage drop off. Your either in its range of effect or your not. Same goes for titans even at mid range, they take full damage. A Tone behind a shield for instance may feel safe but if just his shoulder is peaking and you use it they take full damage.

Interesting, I'll have to test that out. That would definitely make the close range power shot a lot better than I currently think if it were the case. Right now I feel like it's pretty easy to dodge or block because the animation has an obvious tell.

Izuna

Banned
Fit your BH clip criteria Izuna? Cheeky rather than impressive.

http://xboxclips.com/calderc/de6f4176-8a0a-473f-8c18-b6ecd7a103c2

I just got to watching this.

raw

I have 24 kills. Next closest teammate is 8

Im getting more and more pissed with matchmaking when it feels like im carrying teammates and still losing

I stopped caring about winning long ago in a game without SBMM, I just focus on getting good myself lol. My win rate is like 40% or something due to lots of Complex, Crash Site quits and high ping quits.

Arttemis

Is it weird that I would love this game in third person? I think I'm just getting the most familiar Tribes-esque locomotion in this game and want more similarities. Coliseum might as well be a spinfuser match.

Izuna

Banned
I stopped caring about winning long ago in a game without SBMM, I just focus on getting good myself lol. My win rate is like 40% or something due to lots of Complex, Crash Site quits and high ping quits.

One side-effect of the stats page is that I no longer quit Complex.

I've come to like it.

hahahahahah

The Dome is literally the dumbest design for Bounty Hunt, but it's so easy to start a comeback in that room.

On another note, I wish Ordnance Expert wasn't in this game, because I would love to use Phase Embark. Sadly, faster recharge for Firestar is borderline broken for Bounty Hunt and fighting Titans, so it doesn't make any sense to switch out.

It's insane, but I really think everyone should be using Phase Shift lol. You can eliminate so much with it. Getting away from Titans is the best, you can shoot an Archer then Phase (I've done this soooo many times with Amped Archer and gotten too many kills), and you can also negate Grapples and Gravity Stars.

It's insane, but I really think everyone should be using Phase Shift lol. You can eliminate so much with it. Getting away from Titans is the best, you can shoot an Archer then Phase (I've done this soooo many times with Amped Archer and gotten too many kills), and you can also negate Grapples and Gravity Stars.

It lets you:

Escape with a battery without effort;
Escape arc grenade hits;
Escape gravity stars;
Escape grapples;
Escape any sort of surprise attacks;
Escape nuclear ejects;
Get across a street or Homestead without being shot at;

etc.

It does everything basically.

deoee

I can't explain how much I hate Tone.
It's such a fucking boring Kit to play against and to play with.
How?
Why?
It's pure shit

grr
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

Izuna

Banned
Okay, last minute title voting

TITANFALL 2 |OT2| I Don't Like Your Tone
TITANFALL 2 |OT2| Can We Get An Encore?
TITANFALL 2 |OT2| "Whatever The $*&% That Means?"

I've got art prepared for one of them already, so I'm going to need a super majority for a change :p

I have time to redo a bunch of art, which is great because I've just had an epiphany after seeing some cool art online.

I can't explain how much I hate Tone.
It's such a fucking boring Kit to play against and to play with.
How?
Why?
It's pure shit

grr
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

lmao

It's funny because Atlas + 40mm was stronger and yet everyone was too busy complaining about the Arc Cannon, which I never hated getting killed by. Even if chain killed me with 3 other Pilots, I'd be like "yep, that's an Arc Cannon!" But with Tone, it's like... "why is the only overall useful Titan, one that has an annoying Particle Wall?"

Okay, last minute title voting

TITANFALL 2 |OT2| I Don't Ike Your Tone
TITANFALL 2 |OT2| Can We Get An Encore?
TITANFALL 2 |OT2| "Whatever The $*&% That Means?"

Not feeling another Tone related title so out of these I'd go with one of the other two. Maybe "Whatever The $*&% That Means?" if I had to choose.

deoee

Titanfall 2 |G2.1| I love|hate Neogaf

Sorry for the Tone meltdown but I was playing on US Centers and it was INFESTED with Devotion+Wall campers and Tones.
Disgusting.
BAH

Izuna

Banned
Will you press the button soon?
I need the sweet first post

I'm not a member, so I can't tell you exactly when it'll go up :) -- it'll be before 20k posts though, ofc.

---

トーン弱めて下さい

Izuna

Banned
Wg8MRF4.png

This is gunna be so fun to do.

--

If you guys would prefer a Gamertag/PSN_ID/Origin_ID instead of your GAF name, just let me know.

I have a lot of lovely clips here. I recorded too many for myself though ;(

deoee

Wg8MRF4.png

This is gunna be so fun to do.

--

If you guys would prefer a Gamertag/PSN_ID/Origin_ID instead of your GAF name, just let me know.

I have a lot of lovely clips here. I recorded too many for myself though ;(

You need more tabs open in your browser

I would've sent you more but my ShadowPlay fucked up more often than it should have :(

Top Bottom