• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo now on PC [Steam]

wbacon

Capcom USA
Just cancelled my Steam preorder and reordered with CDkeys. They're pretty legit to my understanding and that's a fucking deal and a half.

Be forewarned that we're clamping down on gray market key resellers. Don't know where they're sourcing their keys from, but certain retail keys such as ones sourced from Russia, India, S/E Asia, and so on will have activation and runtime lock.

Lulubop

Be forewarned that we're clamping down on gray market key resellers. Don't know where they're sourcing their keys from, but certain retail keys such as ones sourced from Russia, India, S/E Asia, and so on will have activation and runtime lock.

Oooh. Are you sourcing gmg with their keys?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just beat the demo. God damn thats a lot of secrets. This is some PT obscure shit, how the hell you guys figure all that out lol? I used Dusk's guide btw. Also i think i can confirm you only need to see the ghost once for the final laugh. Was not triggering but as soon as i saw just one, it worked. Got my coin now. Super hyped for the main game.

Jawmuncher

Just beat the demo. God damn thats a lot of secrets. This is some PT obscure shit, how the hell you guys figure all that out lol? I used Dusk's guide btw. Also i think i can confirm you only need to see the ghost once for the final laugh. Was not triggering but as soon as i saw just one, it worked. Got my coin now. Super hyped for the main game.

You more than likely "saw" her and didn't notice. I've gotten the final giggle and never even saw one. I think so long as the camera passes by a set area while she is there it counts.

Pretty sure they are since GMG is handing out the keys already for it. If not capcom has problems deep down.

85426-Bill-Hader-smile-gif-I-see-wha-x7VY.gif

PC performance impressions:
Got it to run 60fps locked at 3325x1871 on an i5 3570k and 1070 overclock with everything maxed besides HBAO+ (set to SSAO instead). SMAA enabled.

If I turn off SMAA and use FXAA instead I get a seemingly locked 60fps at 4k. PC version confirmed for me, despite the VR exclusivity nonsense.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You more than likely "saw" her and didn't notice. I've gotten the final giggle and never even saw one. I think so long as the camera passes by a set area while she is there it counts.

Well i knew where all her locations were ahead of time on my first vhs segments and i didnt see her. I explicitly got her to trigger 1 time on my 3rd try, and as soon as that try ended the doll triggered. Before that, it didnt trigger. So i either accidently saw her twice in the final run, which i doubt, or just doing it once was enough.

PC performance impressions:
Got it to run 60fps locked at 3325x1871 on an i5 3570k and 1070 overclock with everything maxed besides HBAO+ (set to SSAO instead). SMAA enabled.

If I turn off SMAA and use FXAA instead I get a seemingly locked 60fps at 4k. PC version confirmed for me, despite the VR exclusivity nonsense.

There is a big sharpness difference for me with FXAA vs SMAA, but thats at 1080p. Maybe 4k doesnt have the problem.

Chumley

Banned

Cdkeys has never had a problem there in the 2 yrs I've used them so I'm assuming their key is legit.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
They have been visible that there will be RE7 region locking with keys (when I got my RE7 deluxe key from GMG I noticed it had a region label on it when I activated it as well), and I would guess many of the keys from CDKeys are different regions, so I would say some risk there. But they have been vocal in expressing RE7 will have region-locked keys. Probably because the game has some wildly vary prices for different regions based off of current currency exchange rate and to prevent keys for the game plummeting game worth quickly.

They have been visible that there will be RE7 region locking with keys (when I got my RE7 deluxe key from GMG I noticed it had a region label on it when I activated it as well), and I would guess many of the keys from CDKeys are different regions, so I would say some risk there. But they have been vocal in expressing RE7 will have region-locked keys.

yeah...I asked on Gamesplanet's store page if their keys have any locks and they said there are no locks on theirs (other games they sell have locks and have pretty visible warnings about that)

This
monster in the basement
has to be the most bullshit monster in RE history

It does look like you can
kick the center body into it to stun it
, that's pretty neat

I've been checking the most obscure spots for ammo, I figured anything was possible when I found one
stuck under the basement steps
. So now I'm just looking inside the exposed framework on the walls and ceilings cuz why wouldn't they put some in there eventually.

Think I might start my Giggle Quest finally

Do we have any pro details? I hope they upgrade it significantly for vr and then again for pro

Would me nice to get those pc options but seems it will mostly look the same

The current version of the demo runs at a higher resolution in both regular screens and in VR on the PRO. I didn't notice any other differences when I played it on both, but it definitely has a resolution boost.

Dusk Golem

yeah...I asked on Gamesplanet's store page if their keys have any locks and they said there are no locks on theirs (other games they sell have locks and have pretty visible warnings about that)

I think legitimate sellers or 'white listed' re-sellers get WW keys (World Wide) but they have fixed prices and all that no matter what region you're in. I'm assuming physical copies and such have region-specific keys to help tone down key reselling for buying the game cheap from one region and selling it off, as the keys do have labels of where they're applicable. On-top that some regions have a censored version of the game for content board concerns, such as Japan.

Would be my guess for what's going on, CDKeys could be fine, but I would say if it's like I'm guessing there may be some risk there as since CDKeys is... Well, a gray market seller where they get their keys from physical box copies usually, it would depend I guess where the key comes from.

Man... I played this demo again... I really think this is a cool game but as a hardcore RE fan this game isn't as exciting for me. Like RE1-CV are fucking comforting to play, RE4-6 were fun and entertaining, but this... is just unnerving haha.

I want to like it but its way different than I want. I hope the full game makes me feel good when I play it (cause I'm sure as hell still getting it)

Shredderi

I think I need this game to have some awesome early-mid twist to make this something I'd like. Something that does a "oh yeah yeah now it's awesome".

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

Hmm, that's a shame. I'd heard of these gray market sellers before but I thought that was shadier places like Kinguin and such. I thought CDKEYS was legit and just running some sort of promo for the holidays.

Jesus, what a boring ass demo. There literally isn't one thing that impresses me or makes me want to buy the full game. This genre just doesn't do it for me anymore.

vg260

I noticed something was off as well. I thought it might be because the flashlight has a delayed movement. Like when you look around the flashlight is lagging behind which might make it seem like something is off. If its not that then I'm not sure what else it could be. I even have gsync monitor.

Yeah, I did feel like the flashlight was lagging behind movement.

What exactly does this mean? I don't really follow what this means in terms of where you pre-order from and what could happen Can you elaborate?

Einhander

This is what pisses me off about the
monster in the basement:

I went through the door, quickly moved forward to grab the valve, go back and opened the door to trigger the disturbed man blocking my path sequence, then went to my right to grab the attic key. I kicked the body bag at the monster to stun it, then kicked the door down a second time, but that's when the monster hit me, as I had to kick it down a third time to get through.

Unai

I'm in my second playthrough trying
to push the switch in the fireplace
before watching the tape but it doesn't seem possible. Intriguing.

Edit: oops, I just wasn't close enough.

Man,i thought my 970 would eat this game alive..what a mistake.

Mine run it above 60 FPS all the time if I disable shadow cache at max settings, TAA + FXAA and resolution scaling 1:1. I'm using an i7 2700k.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Coin get. But where the hell is the gun? Videos show there is one, but I couldn't ever find it. The axe does such shit damage you're better off
breaking the door after entering, booking it up the stairs. Coming down, grabbing the key and hauling ass through the door back up the stairs to never return
to avoid the "infected" ending AND to later do the last clue for the easter egg.

Locust

Does anyone know if there's any glitches in this demo? I'm trying to get the proper ending and the
giggle 2 from corridor lamp
just refuses to trigger.
Tried multiple times, restarted the game etc. It worked once at first but I can't get it to work anymore. Am I doing something wrong?

The order I'm doing things in:
fuse, finger, notebook, hand, read the wall to trigger the event, point at fallen bookcase until the shake triggers, lamp

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do we have any pro details? I hope they upgrade it significantly for vr and then again for pro

Would me nice to get those pc options but seems it will mostly look the same

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-7-has-4k-and-hdr-for-ps4-pro-version/1100-6443523/

We just know it has "4K and HDR Support" for PS4 Pro. Not sure on what, but expecting some kind of checker board rendering support, which would be absolutely fantastic if it maintains the flawless 60 FPS of the demo.

This is what pisses me off about the
monster in the basement:

I went through the door, quickly moved forward to grab the valve, go back and opened the door to trigger the disturbed man blocking my path sequence, then went to my right to grab the attic key. I kicked the body bag at the monster to stun it, then kicked the door down a second time, but that's when the monster hit me, as I had to kick it down a third time to get through.

you can always go in there without grabbing anything (the valve or the key) and get the door being blocked stuff over with...then go back in again and try to be fast with grabbing items and get out the door...once you unblock the door the first time it stays unblocked

Coin get. But where the hell is the gun? Videos show there is one, but I couldn't ever find it. The axe does such shit damage you're better off
breaking the door after entering, booking it up the stairs. Coming down, grabbing the key and hauling ass through the door back up the stairs to never return
to avoid the "infected" ending AND to later do the last clue for the easter egg.

gun...

there's a valve in the basement with the monster...grab it and go to the bathroom you pass by in the basement...put the valve on the pipe by the toilet then flush it..gun is in the toilet

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does anyone know if there's any glitches in this demo? I'm trying to get the proper ending and the
just refuses to trigger.
Tried multiple times, restarted the game etc. It worked once at first but I can't get it to work anymore. Am I doing something wrong?

fuse, finger, notebook, hand, read the wall to trigger the event, point at fallen bookcase until the shake triggers, lamp

You need the VHS tape. If you're going by the Steam guide, it's wrong. The VHS tape is NEEDED for that second trigger.

But if you combine Dusk's guide with it, you'll be pretty safe to do this on your first or second tries against the
basement monster
. Do
going down there, going through the door, walking to the gurney (infront of you), pointing. 180'ing, breaking the door and going back up the stairs. You shouldn't need the basement key until you need to escape and even then you need to go back down there to trigger the fifth giggle/riddle. In which case, go back there, do the "despawn" method (grab the key, haul ass back up the stairs, go back down) and get that riddle.

Unai

Sure, let's go into the
basement
of the spooky cabin. What could possibly go wrong?

Edit: I'm alive, but shaking.

Edit 2: Holy shit, I have a
weapon.

Edit 3: Aaaand, I'm dead.
Infected
. I'll play more tomorrow.

jediyoshi

Cdkeys has never had a problem there in the 2 yrs I've used them so I'm assuming their key is legit.

No, you're missing the distinction. They're not an authorized distributor, period. Distributors either source their keys directly from the publisher/developer or they're not. The only reason they can sell it so cheap is because they're skirting region pricing to begin with.

We will see when launch date comes. Sounds like an empty threat.

You wouldn't put it past their first game now using Denuvo to also introduce more strict region control?

Mister Wolf

No, you're missing the distinction. They're not an authorized distributor, period. Distributors either source their keys directly from the publisher/developer or they're not. The only reason they can sell it so cheap is because they're skirting region pricing to begin with.

You wouldn't put it past their first game now using Denuvo to also introduce more strict region control?

Not gonna be scared to order from a place that's never given me trouble before. If I don't have any trouble come launch day then it was an empty threat.

Locust

You need the VHS tape. If you're going by the Steam guide, it's wrong. The VHS tape is NEEDED for that second trigger.

But if you combine Dusk's guide with it, you'll be pretty safe to do this on your first or second tries against the
basement monster
. Do
going down there, going through the door, walking to the gurney (infront of you), pointing. 180'ing, breaking the door and going back up the stairs. You shouldn't need the basement key until you need to escape and even then you need to go back down there to trigger the fifth giggle/riddle. In which case, go back there, do the "despawn" method (grab the key, haul ass back up the stairs, go back down) and get that riddle.

Oh jeez, thanks.

And fuck Eurogamer for having top result on google with a broken guide

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
it's about $40 over at Gamesplanet

GMG is as far as I'm willing to go when it comes to key resellers. Never heard of Gamesplanet, but I'm not really willing to mess with other sites due to too much shady shit in the past.

GMG offers good enough deals for me and I know they are reliable when it comes to legitimate keys.

~Kinggi~

Banned
GMG is as far as I'm willing to go when it comes to key resellers. Never heard of Gamesplanet, but I'm not really willing to mess with other sites due to too much shady shit in the past.

GMG offers good enough deals for me and I know they are reliable when it comes to legitimate keys.

I mean, i got it for 44.90 at GMG. Not bad at all.

vg260

Played it a bit again, and the mouse movement in the game feels really bad. Very sluggish and laggy, even from the main menu.

I went from about to preorder, to wait and see if it gets fixed. The way it feels moving around right now is a dealbreaker.

It felt fine on consoles, but I want it on PC since my RE collection is in Steam. Not to mention being able to turn off chromatic aberration.

jett

D-Member
That was pretty unnerving. I don't think this kind of game is for me.

I got the bad ending. I kind of searched everywhere but didn't really get anything beyond some bullets.

Man,i thought my 970 would eat this game alive..what a mistake.

? Ran like a dream for me on a 1060.

jett said:
That was pretty unnerving. I don't think this kind of game is for me.

I got the bad ending. I kind of searched everywhere but didn't really get anything beyond some bullets.

Different things happen on a second playthrough. I think you can only get the bad ending the first time.

me0wish

? Ran like a dream for me on a 1060.

Different things happen on a second playthrough. I think you can only get the bad ending the first time.

I was going for the infected ending the first time I've played, keep in mind I already played the first demo on PS4.

Dusk Golem

just refuses to trigger.

Grab the VHS tape.

Dusk Golem

Played it a bit again, and the mouse movement in the game feels really bad. Very sluggish and laggy, even from the main menu.

I went from about to preorder, to wait and see if it gets fixed. The way it feels moving around right now is a dealbreaker.

It felt fine on consoles, but I want it on PC since my RE collection is in Steam. Not to mention being able to turn off chromatic aberration.

This might sound dumb, but have you turned the sensitivity up? I janked it up from the options menu since the default is very low. There's both mouse and controller sensitivity options there. I think both start out on 8/40, really low settings.

Krakn3Dfx

This kind of vagueness is not good for anyone. If Capcom is going to cause problems with keys from cdkeys, Capcom should come out and say "don't buy keys from cdkeys".

Dancing around the issue with no direct statement just has the potential to alienate fans. It definitely doesn't get me excited to buy at this point, and my backlog is such that not buying it for now isn't really all that hard.

Mister Wolf

This kind of vagueness is not good for anyone. If Capcom is going to cause problems with keys from cdkeys, Capcom should come out and say "don't buy keys from cdkeys".

Dancing around the issue with no direct statement just has the potential to alienate fans. It definitely doesn't get me excited to buy at this point, and my backlog is such that not buying it for now isn't really all that hard.

That's why its an empty threat until proven otherwise. I here this threat every time a grey market topic shows up on this site.

Dusk Golem

They can't give a direct answer because they don't provide keys to CDKeys so they don't 100% know where they come from. But are informing there's going to be region specific keys. They can't give a 100% answer with a gray market where they don't 100% know where they keys are coming from, so they're just warning that there will be restrictions on keys. Obviously they'd also prefer you buy it from a place they officially sell keys to rather than second-hand sellers.

Top Bottom