• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch has digital triggers... so no GCN VC?

Chindogg

We're gonna need some actual confirmation somewhere because I swear I saw from a few sources that the triggers were analog.

If it is true, what's the difference between digital and analog triggers? I know the GC came in with analog triggers, but many people are discounting the possibility that Nintendo found a way to bridge compatibility regardless of digital triggers. As far as I know, this would mean racing games would be shafted due to the lack of pressure sensitivity.
Digital means two values for the input - either it's active or inactive. An analog trigger can have a range of values. 10% depressed, 50%, 75%, etc.

Even if the triggers are analog, they don't have the distance of motion needed for effective use in something like a racing game for feathering the gas/brake.

Osakadon

It's an actual genuine questions, is the Switch capable of emulating Gamecube?

I don't have a very deep knowledge about how powerful the Switch is exactly or how powerful it would need to be to be able to emulate Gamecube correctly.

I know that there are Gamecube/Wii and even Wii U emulators for PC, but to get those to run smoothly you need a pretty good CPU and perhaps even GPU to get them to run smoothly.
Just curious what the reality of these running on Switch even is.

It's an actual genuine questions, is the Switch capable of emulating Gamecube?

I don't have a very deep knowledge about how powerful the Switch is exactly or how powerful it would need to be to be able to emulate Gamecube correctly.

I know that there are Gamecube/Wii and even Wii U emulators for PC, but to get those to run smoothly you need a pretty good CPU and perhaps even GPU to get them to run smoothly.
Just curious what the reality of these running on Switch even is.
The question has been asked and answered several times in this thread. Yes, the Switch is capable.

Switch having no analog triggers would go against what we saw in the patents iirc.
Maybe the games on the show floor just didn't utilize the analog part of it. Ever thought about that?

Yes, it did cross my mind, but I think ipukespiders explains it quite well:

Even if the triggers are analog, they don't have the distance of motion needed for effective use in something like a racing game for feathering the gas/brake.

The "travel distance" on the joycon triggers is a few millimeters, not at all like what you get on a Xbox or Playstation controller. You just simply wouldn't be able to control them to any fine degree.

If anything, I'm assuming the "give" is just down to the physical manufacturing. Obviously most buttons lie facing up, with gravity pulling them down against their contact so that there isn't anything that feels like "empty space" when you press down on them. These triggers, however, are face down, and being pulled away from the contact. The "give" is probably just the space between the two components.

I mean, I could be wrong, but I'm 95% certain that these are Digital triggers. (At least If I'm incorrect then it's only a good thing, eh?)

Scrawnton

Timestamp is 1:14:27-ish, the person saying this is Syrenne McNulty (4 Corner Games, Monochroma which is coming to Switch).
Just listened to it and she definitely says that the triggers are analog and she is a developer with a dev kit so I have no idea what to think. Anyone know how her twitter handle so we can reach out?

nampad

And Nintendo found a way again to fuck up the controls. I don't know why it is so fucking hard? Just follow the standard all the way and add your additional gimmicks afterwards.

Sure, analog triggers are only really useful for racing games but they are quiet useful for them.

rekameohs

Banned
Just listened to it and she definitely says that the triggers are analog and she is a developer with a dev kit so I have no idea what to think. Anyone know how her twitter handle so we can reach out?
Huh, perhaps they are analog with very little give: think PS2 / PS3 Square, Circle, Triangle, X, R1, L1 buttons which are all analog (PS4 is digital). I'd be fine with that, but I'm still wary of the claim.

Mr Swine

Banned
And Nintendo found a way again to fuck up the controls. I don't know why it is so fucking hard? Just follow the standard all the way and add your additional gimmicks afterwards.

Sure, analog triggers are only really useful for racing games but they are quiet useful for them.

Did Vita have analog face and shoulder buttons?

Kyzer

Banned
Asking again, isn't the switch using Nintendo's new patent on buttons that use infrared? Is it possible they are analog but people are misidentifying them due to new tech?

deleted

Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes, Smash Bros. Melee and I can't think of more.

F-Zero GX, Burnout 2 ?

I hope they didn't leave them out to sell us GCN JoyCons for 50 EUROs for the VC. That would be unacceptable.

This probably also means no Rocket League! :(

It seems so silly to have controllers and joycons with 'HD' rumble and sensors yet no analog trigger, sure it would take up more space then a digital on off switch but i'd say triggers are more important then a sensor that can tell if my hand is clenched or not.

Not too many games really require the analogue triggers to play them, even if they were used. For games were the full press is used as a separate button simple button remapping would work, ZL and ZR would be a full press of the trigger while L and R would be light presses, Z could be remapped to a click of a stick. Then of course they can also always support the Gamecube adapter.

maxcriden

They were assumed to be $5-$10 each before the big event. Cheap and interchangeable, Jose Otero joked that he would be losing them...but not anymore.

Wow, that is much cheaper than I'd have expected. But yeah, I didn't expect them to be anywhere near as pricy as they are. But isn't it still possible we'll get cheaper interchangeable ones for VC use that lack HD rumble and gyro? It seems a huge missed opportunity to not offer themed ones.

Crayon

If they were pressure sensitive that would work.

But I know how they could be made to act analog in a pinch. They could output a rising curve of value and be tapped on to modulate the throw. This is how we used to play ridge racer and Daytona before analog sticks.

A waggle while held could enact the digital click.

LordofPwn

F-Zero GX, Burnout 2 ?

I hope they didn't leave them out to sell us GCN JoyCons for 50 EUROs for the VC. That would be unacceptable.

This probably also means no Rocket League! :(
There's a pro that plays rocket league with mouse and keyboard so it would still be possible from a digital v analog perspective.

deleted

There's a pro that plays rocket league with mouse and keyboard so it would still be possible from a digital v analog perspective.

Oh, cool - never got how you could play this game with a keyboard, even though some of my friends do.. Now it just has to be announced for the system :p Would be awesome to train aerials on the train. And provided there is cross play, even join my friends, considering I have good enough WiFi.

Scrawnton

The developer fthat was on RFN tweeted me back apologizing and stating that the triggers are digital. The error was made due to being very tired during the show.

So.. digital triggers.

balohna

So is all this based on how they feel? Wouldn't a game need to implement analogue triggers to know if the functionality is there or not?

Like, I might not have guessed every PS2 button is pressure sensitive, but they are.

What does HD-rumble have ANYTHING to do with wether the triggers are analog or not??

The rumble feature is to convey a sensation i.e geting hit, driving on gravel, etc etc.

Its not your input that should be transmitted via rumble, its the game's output!
He's saying that they went through the effort of including a feature unique to the controller such as HD rumble, but they couldn't be bothered with including analog trigger inputs, which were available on the GameCube controller back in 2001, and have been available in every one of Nintendo's competitors' controllers ever since.

NickMitch

He's saying that they went through the effort of including a feature unique to the controller such as HD rumble, but they couldn't be bothered with including analog trigger inputs, which were available on the GameCube controller back in 2001, and have been available in every one of Nintendo's competitors' controllers ever since.

Oh..My mistake for that interpretation. Well...in that case. There hasn't been analog triggers since the Gamceube and neither the Wii or any of the portable systems had it - So i don´t see the problem actually.

With that said - im out from this thread....

MoonFrog

Completely forgot about F-Zero. What do MP use them for however. Last I played them was on the Wii.
Think it is free aiming when there's a lock-on target present. You sort of start locking on but don't completely? Idk I think I'd hold the buttons part way down and do that.

brad-t

Has any handheld had analog triggers? They take up a lot of space; I don't see how they could fit in the Joy-Con without making it really bulbous at the end. Considering only a handful of games use them it's easy to see why it wouldn't take priority over keeping the Joy-Cons slim.

rekameohs

Banned
Oh..My mistake for that interpretation. Well...in that case. There hasn't been analog triggers since the Gamceube and neither the Wii or any of the portable systems had it - So i don´t see the problem actually.

With that said - im out from this thread....
Wii Classic controller actually had it. Strangely Wii Classic Pro did not (with the handles).

Neoxon

One way I could see Nintendo side-stepping this issue is to have you hold L along with either ZL or ZR to trigger the half-way pressure point of the GameCube triggers. If I recall correctly, didn't the GameCube have 3 main settings for the triggers (not pressed, half-way pressed, & pressed all the way)?

Is this confirmed anywhere or are people just assuming based on feel?

For example, PS3 face buttons were analogue, but you wouldn't notice by pressing them or using them in games that didn't support pressure. (very few games did in the end).

So maybe these are analogue, just with very little give?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Since the triggers on the pro controller are clearly analog, the ones on the joycon must be analog too albeit with little travel distance kinda like the triggers on PS2 controller.

Top Bottom