• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (Switch) trailer

salromano

Here's a quick comparison of the PS4 and Switch versions of Dragon Quest Heroes II that I found on Ruliweb.

PS4:

uut7i7Y.jpg

Switch:

JJQG8Qw.jpg

PS4 top, Switch bottom:

a45Z0ul.jpg

Looks as if the Switch got the last gen version, just as with Fifa and Skyrim. :/

Although it's been denied by Peter Moore that FIFA will simply be the last gen version, we haven't seen it so I can't really argue.

But how on earth do you arrive at Switch receiving PS3/360 Skyrim and not the remaster? All footage shown clearly looks like the Special Edition...

ubiblu

Who cares? The PS4 version of DQH1 was a piece of shit with unplayable framerate issues. Will be happy to pass on this.

ubiblu

Did we play a different Dragon Quest Heroes? :eek: I never had frame rate issues and I 100% the game.

I picked up a JP disc copy and was playing on my Aussie launch PS4, but pretty sure lots of others have experienced the same. Honestly, the game stuttered terribly every few seconds. It was genuinely unplayable. Perhaps I should try again on my PS4 Pro.

hongcha

Who cares?

People who expect a Switch game to look better than a Vita game. Which is pretty much everyone.

The PS4 version of DQH1 was a piece of shit with unplayable framerate issues.

It really wasn't. 60fps with some dips, but overall the game ran just fine and it looked great (I played the original JP version).
DQH2 looks and runs even better on PS4.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I picked up a JP disc copy and was playing on my Aussie launch PS4, but pretty sure lots of others have experienced the same. Honestly, the game stuttered terribly every few seconds. It was genuinely unplayable. Perhaps I should try again on my PS4 Pro.

Can't say I had the same issues at all with the US version on a launch ps4. I think I had a few rare frame drops when there was 40 plus monsters on screen and I did some ults. But overall the game was super responsive, I wouldn't have been able to do the hardest fights in the game if the frame rate was a janky mess.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think the DQH2 Switch port is based on the Vita port...

Oregano

I wonder why the lighting is so flat. Isn't that the one area Switch is closer to PS4 than PS3. Maybe it's just because it's a quick and dirty launch port.*shrug*

I guess we shall see what Fire Emblem Warriors looks like.

I can deal with downgraded graphics but the issue is that the frame rate is shit.

I couldn't deal with low frame rate Vita games either unless I had no choice. Looks like another game I might just pass on Switch and get on PS4, since I already own the original for it.

HotHamBoy

This is the first game we're seeing where we can directly compare graphics with a PS4 version I believe, am I wrong? I can see some compromises here and there, but it doesn't look like a radical difference.

It is not a good point of reference, Warriors games don't really have great graphics.

I can deal with downgraded graphics but the issue is that the frame rate is shit.

I couldn't deal with low frame rate Vita games either unless I had no choice. Looks like another game I might just pass on Switch and get on PS4, since I already own the original for it.

The framerate is so bad, I would expect it to at least be lock at 30fps but it's far from it by the looks of that trailer.

I suspect framrate problems are going to plague a lot of Switch titles. Zelda seems to have them and it is a port of a Wii U game. I saw framerate drops in several of the Switch trailers of various games.

It certainly doesn't bode well for the future of multiplats on Switch.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the "definitive" edition in terms of content? If they release this game in the US at $60, as someone who hasn't picked up the PS4 version(s), this sounds like it could be an appealing package. I don't really mind moderate dips and drops, but I will admit that some parts of that trailer looked rough. This is despite the fact that it doesn't look like they've pushed the graphics very hard.

I wonder why the lighting is so flat. Isn't that the one area Switch is closer to PS4 than PS3. Maybe it's just because it's a quick and dirty launch port.*shrug*

I guess we shall see what Fire Emblem Warriors looks like.

Given how Hyrule Warriors looked and ran on Wii U compared to this game, I think we should probably expect more from Fire Emblem Warriors.

I think the DQH2 Switch port is based on the Vita port...

Yeah, I noticed that, too. That makes zero sense to me. How could this game have framerate problems if it's a Vita port? Switch may not compare well to XB1 and PS4, but it certainly appears to be much more capable than Vita.

Guymelef

Is this the "definitive" edition in terms of content? If they release this game in the US at $60, as someone who hasn't picked up the PS4 version(s), this sounds like it could be an appealing package. I don't really mind moderate dips and drops, but I will admit that some parts of that trailer looked rough. This is despite the fact that it doesn't look like they've pushed the graphics very hard.

Given how Hyrule Warriors looked and ran on Wii U compared to this game, I think we should probably expect more from Fire Emblem Warriors.

DQH II has one more character and one more boss, take that as "definitive".

Yeah, I noticed that, too. That makes zero sense to me. How could this game have framerate problems if it's a Vita port? Switch may not compare well to XB1 and PS4, but it certainly appears to be much more capable than Vita.

Same. The four 1Ghz Cortex-A57 CPU cores are two CPU generations ahead of the four 333Mhz Cortex-A9 cores in the Vita while also being clocked 3x as fast, and it seems more like a game that's going to be CPU-bound than GPU-bound, given the visuals aren't a match for PS4. But even then the GPU is an order of magnitude better than the Vita's, and it has 8 times the RAM.

Wonder if this is just an incredibly quick port, we knew some developers didn't even have dev kits or know what the Switch was in the middle of last year...

One other possibility is the visual downgrade might be to lower asset quality in order to fit both games on a 16GB game card, but that doesn't explain the framerate. Still, how big was each game on PS4?

Oregano

I think the footage from the stream looked a lot more stable than the trailer but I'm honestly not as sensitive to that stuff as some people.

I think the footage from the stream looked a lot more stable than the trailer but I'm honestly not as sensitive to that stuff as some people.

The weird thing is, in the trailer when you see the Switch in docked mode the framerate is higher. But it probably means nothing and it's just related to the part of the game being shown when it's docked.

When the Vita version released people seemed quite surprised that it was a high effort port in that it ran at a fairly steady 30fps and was a downgrade from PS4, but still looked decent. And it seemed to sell accordingly.

I was expecting to see a similar reaction here. "Yeah it's not perfect, but it's portable so I'll take it", but I suppose for a new piece of $300 kit that's much more powerful than Vita, it's not really acceptable.

LordKano

When the Vita version released people seemed quite surprised that it was a high effort port in that it ran at a fairly steady 30fps and was a downgrade from PS4, but still looked decent. And it seemed to sell accordingly.

I was expecting to see a similar reaction here. "Yeah it's not perfect, but it's portable so I'll take it", but I suppose for a new piece of $300 kit that's much more powerful than Vita, it's not really acceptable.

It's more that there's no reason this doesn't look way better than what it currently looks. The Switch is more than capable enough.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

True, but to be fair this is a launch game on a new IP...while KT has years of experience on Vita before they could have games like DQH2 running as solid on the system.

Expect things to improve on future projects - doubt Fire Emblem Warriors will run like this.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 is 22.1GB on PS4, and the sequel is 21.7GB. While some of that is going to be down to high quality cutscenes I'm sure asset quality had to be reduced in order to fit both games onto a 16GB game card. Or an 8GB if Square Enix are cheap...

True, but to be fair this is a launch game on a new IP...while KT has years of experience on Vita before they could have games like DQH2 running as solid on the system.

Expect things to improve on future projects - doubt Fire Emblem Warriors will run like this.

Yeah, Switch devkits went out rather late (which actually explains the lack of software being even ready for launch) as many devs literally didn't know what the device was. Omega Force are working on several Switch games right now (two of which are out in the launch window?), so DQ Heroes is probably a quick and dirty port.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
if this is a vita port, it should not be running at 30fps on a console much more powerful!

Omega force a bunch of lazy asses pushing out this kind of thing.

If they do the same with fire emblem, that will be even shittier. Jesus.

My assumption so far has been that the bandwidth is significantly holding back this machine from even what it should be able to do by default, but even this is beyond the pale as an effort.

I wonder if Fire Emblem Warriors is impacting the announcement of this game for Western audiences.

Could imagine lots of overlap with this release and Fire Emblem Warriors from Nintendo's perspective.

I wonder if Fire Emblem Warriors is impacting the announcement of this game for Western audiences.

Could imagine lots of overlap with this release and Fire Emblem Warriors from Nintendo's perspective.
We might see Dragon Quest before Fire Emblem though, given that Dragon Quest is already finished game, it's just porting, translation of 2 and QA

Charamiwa

Banned
I'm starting to think the Switch really is a portable Wii U. Crazy how expectations have to be lowered all the way until the release date. We went from "new generation home console Nintendo!" to "well I guess it looks kind of good to play on a plane?". This is really disheartening.

Oregano

I'm starting to think the Switch really is a portable Wii U. Crazy how expectations have to be lowered all the way until the release date. We went from "new generation home console Nintendo!" to "well I guess it looks kind of good to play on a plane?". This is really disheartening.
As a primarily portable game Wii U level is already amazing, especially coming from 3DS. I assume exclusives will probably look even better too.

Just wish the device was cheaper.

pswii60

This is the first game we're seeing where we can directly compare graphics with a PS4 version I believe, am I wrong? I can see some compromises here and there, but it doesn't look like a radical difference.

Well, the Switch version is half the framerate and lower resolution, that's before the aesthetic differences. Also, DQH looks really simplistic on PS4, it's not pushing the hardware.

But, if you consider the Switch as a portable, then it's impressive in that respect and a huge bump over Vita.

Charamiwa

Banned
As a primarily portable game Wii U level is already amazing, especially coming from 3DS. I assume exclusives will probably look even better too.

Just wish the device was cheaper.

Thing is, when the Eurogamer leak in august said Maxwell X1, the consensus was that even in the worst case scenario, it's still way better than the Wii U. When we saw Zelda at E3 we said "looks pretty good, now imagine what it'll look like on the NX!"

Those weren't unreasonable expectations, and yet here we are. This is what I'm talking about, constantly having to lower your standard to accept the Switch as a viable console.

noshten

It's going to be marketed in Japan and a handheld console that will eventually replace the 3DS. 3DS/2DS will still be around but I'm guessing only smaller games will get ported to the device in the next 1-2 years.

Also I'm still expecting a peripheral that would provide build in processing to be announced in 2018 for the Switch so there could really be a greater difference between docked and handheld. If you are a big Publisher you might be porting your old games for the first two years to the device - once a processing unit is build to match requirements of new games we might see more current ports to the system.
It mainly depends on people buying 3rd party games on the device. If it just moves Nintendo hardware and Minecraft, it's not going to be an attractive proposition for big titles. If late ports with certain enhancements are made like local co-op, local online - there are big titles that were ported to the PS3 that could make their way to the Switch.
For example how much would a portable MGS5 or Dark Souls1/2 with local co-op or vs sell on the device - if those games sell well, there is more incentive for 3rd parties to come on board and if Nintendo releases a peripheral device to bring the Switch processing closer to PS4 Pro when docked devs can target two versions of their games portable(760p/30fps) and docked. It might mean more work but that depends on whether this is an attractive way to play SP games. I just think that the most popular titles will end up being the ones with multiplayer elements that translate well into local.
Personally I'd love to get a Witcher 3 with all the enhancements on a handheld but I do realize that impossible with the current battery options out there. Also Western games other than Minecraft and Skyrim need to do well on the device. Sports games and late ports to the Switch need to be able to add a few hungered thousand sales otherwise it won't get support long term.

Dragon Quest Heroes for example has been rumored to have 4 player co-op on the Switch - whether that effects the sales in Japan is something we will see fairly shortly. But at the very least it needs to get above 200k lifetime as a launch game to make studios like Square comfortable with porting games to the system

I still think Switch is a good offering initially much better than the 3DS it just doesn't have a system selling game until Splatoon 2 is released in Japan. Maybe it could have been priced more aggressively but if it fails to sell I can see there being a bundle or price drop very early in its life.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
There is no 'peripheral' to get switch closer to PS4, let alone Pro which is almost 9x more powerful on the GPU side.

Let's dispel these notions.

Nintendo would have to release a new tablet to the switch with upgraded components and Nintendo are not going to do that anytime soon with the machine not even out yet and having their first party and third party partners used to this machine.

I think we can expect switch's current hardware to be the baseline limit for dedicated hardware for a long while if its successful

ZoddGutts

I suspect framrate problems are going to plague a lot of Switch titles. Zelda seems to have them and it is a port of a Wii U game. I saw framerate drops in several of the Switch trailers of various games.

It certainly doesn't bode well for the future of multiplats on Switch.

Forgot where I heard this, someone said that Disgaea 5 had framerate problems as well on the Switch.

noshten

There is no 'peripheral' to get switch closer to PS4, let alone Pro which is almost 9x more powerful on the GPU side.

Let's dispel these notions.

Nintendo would have to release a new tablet to the switch with upgraded components and Nintendo are not going to do that anytime soon with the machine not even out yet and having their first party and third party partners used to this machine.

I think we can expect switch's current hardware to be the baseline limit for dedicated hardware for a long while if its successful

Nintendo's 'Supplemental Computing Device' Patent is Cleared for Completion

To summarise the core concept, it allows for an extra device to provide extra resources to a gaming system through two means - through on-board hardware and through utilising resources in the Cloud. In theory such devices could be made available to boost a system as it ages, for example, to give it extra power rather than replace a console outright.

Though the on-board processing power of such a device would naturally be a factor, the emphasis of Cloud computing is interesting, especially as it's an area that companies have sometimes struggled to implement effectively. The application proposes a process where your system could, in theory, use the Cloud resources of other users to help the device - and related console - perform better. On the flipside you can allow your connection to support others, and the application even highlighted what could be interpreted as My Nintendo rewards for allowing your Cloud resources to be used.

If it comes together it could be a significant idea, especially in this age of improved home broadband connections and the constant race to keep up with technology. The patent was originally submitted back in June 2014, too, so it's been a long time coming for Nintendo to secure it fully.

Whether this is part of the prospective NX is debatable, of course, but as a concept it could certainly be part of the future.

It's just the DQH2 multiplayer mode in the Switch version which also shows the new boss that is being added to this version of the game.

Its rumoured to support 4 player local co-op

Netto-kun

Looks like Nintendo separated all the events from day 2 and reuploaded them as individual videos.

https://youtu.be/h0-6o6yXXWw

At the very end of the trailer, it shows both protagonists from DQH1 and DQH2 together, and it says something in Japanese.

Is this a new mode that brings both games together, or something exclusive to this collection?
It's just the DQH2 multiplayer mode in the Switch version which also shows the new boss that is being added to this version of the game.

Begaria

Who cares? The PS4 version of DQH1 was a piece of shit with unplayable framerate issues. Will be happy to pass on this.

Uh...not on my end there wasn't. I noticed some dips, but damn did that game stick to 60 if not as close to 60 FPS as possible for the majority of my 70+ hour playthrough.

Top Bottom