• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War trailer (WB/Monolith, PC/XB1/PS4, 8/22), gameplay Mar 8th

ironcreed

Banned
If they're still just sticking to Mordor again I'm not touching this game. Lord of the Rings has a treasure trove of amazing scenery and locations, but Mordor is bleak and bland. Liven the world up, take us to Minas Tirith or Lothlorien.

Beings that they are already going nuts with the story and such, my hope is that they will also go the extra mile and make Mordor less barren. They can do that, while retaining the dark vibe. We also may be going to other places as well. I mean, why not?

Par Score

Nah, I think either the original teaser was fake, or the leak has forced them to shuffle their reveals around.

Occam's razor my dude. Just accept it wasn't Batman and move on.

If they're still just sticking to Mordor again I'm not touching this game. Lord of the Rings has a treasure trove of amazing scenery and locations, but Mordor is bleak and bland. Liven the world up, take us to Minas Tirith or Lothlorien.

Did you play the first game?
BzOaGFnIEAARvtx.jpg:orig

Mordor can be pretty.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
From the trailer, it seems the following locations are confirmed?

Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, Osgiliath, Mount Doom, Barad-dur

Beings that they are already going nuts with the story and such, my hope is that they will also go the extra mile and make Mordor less barren. They can do that, while retaining the dark vibe. We also may be going to other places as well. I mean, why not?

And they made it a point to show a town/castle in this trailer. So there will probably be more lively settlements?

Shari

Unlockable Legolas special attack from extended edition of the hobbit.

Ah, extended edition. That's why I dont watch those.

Someone watched legolas going downstairs over a buckler and tho this was the next step.

Sorry for derailing.

Concerning Mordor, thank god for changing that face, nightmare fuel. Thanks to the dlc description I confirmed there's an army system on top of the nemesis system.

Since I'm here, few steps to enjoy the 1st mordor:

1. Go through the ladder and get yourself one top level enemy
2. Send that one out to fight all the rest, tip the odds in his favor if he's going to lose.
gladiator-quotes-8.jpg

From the trailer, it seems the following locations are confirmed?

Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, Osgiliath, Mount Doom, Barad-dur

I don't think that's Minas Tirith. Rather, I believe that's
Minas Ithil
, which in the books is
Minas Morgul before it fell, but previous games have run with the idea of Minas Morgul actually being the orc stronghold on the other side of the valley

ryseing

Yep, we full fan fiction now, and like I said in the previous thread I am a-ok with that. Really hope the full three years of development means that Monolith is able to do some interesting stuff with the Nemesis system. If that means we get access to Balrogs and Nazgul, fucking hype.

Is it safe to assume that it won't be coming to Nintendo Switch in any shape or form?

As others have said, go watch the PS3/360 footage of the first game. It appears that they're adding another metagame layer on top of the Nemesis system, so there is no way in hell the Switch can run it without serious downgrades.

The procedural generation stuff is what elevated the first game.

Lord Phol

Oh man that trailer goes against everything in the books but I'm going to lie if I say it didn't get me hyped. Making this an alternative timeline is probably a good choice. I hope the game expands on all the potential the first one had.

BouncyFrag

I'm in it for a much deeper nemesis system and balrogs. Even though it's going alt-timeline I wouldn't mind some more lore being referenced for side missions/collectibles.

Jb

Yep, we full fan fiction now, and like I said in the previous thread I am a-ok with that.

I really hoped they would be able to tell a cool story in between Hobbit and LOTR in the first one, but yeah I think at this point it's best for them to go full on Star Wars Extended Universe.

Oh man that trailer goes against everything in the books but I'm going to lie if I say it didn't get me hyped. Making this an alternative timeline is probably a good choice. I hope the game expands on all the potential the first one had.

Do we know it's actually an alternative timeline and not just them trying to shove new things into the lore that don't fit, though?

rhandino

Banned
I just hope the story is better this time because I played the first for 10 hours and dropped it because it was so bland and unremarkable... just like the combat system =P

ironcreed

Banned
I really hoped they would be able to tell a cool story in between Hobbit and LOTR in the first one, but yeah I think at this point it's best for them to go full on Star Wars Extended Universe.

Well, it certainly allows them to do more. Which is not a bad thing considering that it's a videogame. It's a universe I love, so sure, give me new stories in it and go nuts.

I'll be honest I watched that trailer and came away thinking - I liked the narrator lady's lips. I may not be the target audience for this game. I only played a few hours of the first one amid the Nemesis System Hype and didn't think it was that good. Still I am open for any game really so looking forward to seeing gameplay. Is it sexist to say you liked a CGI lady's lips? Creepy maybe but sexist?

ryseing

If they had access to The Silmarillion, I'd hope that they would go more in that direction and be somewhat restrained. But they don't because the Tolkien estate hates fun, so go fucking nuts.

Chumley

Banned
Whenever I see a post about how brown and grey and lacking in color the original one was, it's safe to assume they didn't play the first game.

That area was still bleak and bland. It was the same palette and structural layout as the main Mordor area only with some grass and small trees. I wanted the game to actually leave Mordor and give us a truly different landscape, not just some grass.

If they had access to The Silmarillion, I'd hope that they would go more in that direction and be somewhat restrained. But they don't because the Tolkien estate hates fun, so go fucking nuts.

If they had rights to it, my god. That would be something special. Endless possibilities.

WadeitOut

The canon purists will go ballistic, but I personally don't care. Looks like it could be a great time in a universe I love. I especially dig that armored Balrog.

I'm a pretty big Tolkien purist, but we've already had so much content go against the books by now including the movies that there really isn't much of a point in complaining now.

I just want Tom Riddle to show up and fuck with Sauron.

Zukkoyaki

That area was still bleak and bland. It was the same palette and structural layout as the main Mordor area only with some grass and small trees. I wanted the game to actually leave Mordor and give us a truly different landscape, not just some grass.
That's a better way to word it!

BlitzKeeg

I can dig it. I have to go back and play the first one again now.

Holy shit, a black guy in Middle-Earth!

I like the representation. Too bad it's still generic white guy from the first game :/

Use the mobile tie-in app to help Tolkien turn in his grave.

Goddamn it lol

I love when games announce just a few months before they come out, it's so much better than waiting years.

I agree. The shorter the hype cycle is the better. As it is now I get sick of games before they even come out because it's stretched over two years.

eizarus

Banned
Fuck me that looks amazing. (I know it's a Cgi trailer). So hyped to war against Sauron. Don't really give a damn about it not being in line with canon, because (even though I absolutely love Tolkien's universe), this is a game. It's not an official addition to the books or movies.

Can't wait to take possession of the Balrog. Y'all know it's gonna be used to fight the Ringwraiths.

So much for that Batman reveal.

This seems like a bit of a low key reveal given the success of the first game.

Though, it is still 'early' I suppose.
It's only low key because of the leak yesterday.

WadeitOut

Once you got past the first part to the second open world area the game really good gorgeous. Sucks how you had to put so much time into the bleak Mordor area to get to it.

Toni

How do we fight that which threatens to destroy all of Middle Earth? We forge another one.

gandalf.gif

I love this lol.

But he can simply destroy it just as the One ring in the fires of mount doom. That's where he forged it.

That's actually how I think will go down once he banishes Sauron.

Pandy

Is it safe to assume that it won't be coming to Nintendo Switch in any shape or form?

Not really.
WB did support the WiiU a fair bit, albeit half-heartedly and with some super weird decisions (they basically killed Scribblenauts by messing up the WiiU launch of Unlimited), but I'd suggest that it is indeed unlikely. If it was planned it would have been announced now there's no reason for them to hold back an announcement at this stage.

Lifeline

Have they released any kind of information for what to except? Changes with the new nemesis system, new mounts, etc?

Or is it just this CG trailer with more info on the 8th?

eizarus

Banned
Your name reminds me. I would love a game featuring Sauron and Melkor (Morgoth), detailing how Sauron fell and became Melkor's lieutenant.
Oh god! A Morgoth game would be amazing. I'd love a narrative game that had you playing as Hurin with him getting captured at the end by Morgoth.

Simo

Not even any screenshots? That's odd...

Keeping my fingers crossed for some big improvements to environment design and variation. I want a Borderlands 1 --> 2 level of change here.

They're probably going to tie the gameplay reveal with a Game Informer cover story since GI should reveal their cover in the same week and also explains the lack of screens and details. Same thing happened with GI and Arkham Knights reveal.

This CG trailer was done a year ago according to NerdLeaks so it seems they intentionally held off announcing the game until it was closer to done.

People are actually upset about the black guy. Quite amazing.

Btw, why is it that we've only seen this IP using LOTR anyway? I want more games.

The Big N

Banned
People are actually upset about the black guy. Quite amazing.

Btw, why is it that we've only seen this IP using LOTR anyway? I want more games.

Monolith made Guardians of Middle Earth for Xbox Live arcade/PSN a few years back. Great game, poor net code. I wish we'd get a sequel with more reliable online multiplayer :(

Top Bottom