• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's Iron Fist Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
His name is Scott Buck and he likes to fuck (Iron Fist)

U30E9uu.gif

At least Punisher has a chance of being good since Steve Lightfoot of Hannibal is doing it.

This was such an easy show to get right. It's a fun kung fu show with a charismatic and charming lead who has come home to get his shit back. Up the Asian influence, tune down the mighty whitey stereotype (by having him mocked for it at every turn), and boom, you're done.

cLOUDo

Why are you guys surprise?

Daredevil s2 was regular(punisher save that season)
Jessica Jones very Meeh to me, a lot of crappy characters (killgrave save that show)
Luke cage was very cliche and the second part was beyond awful (cottonmouth save the first half)

The only good show was Daredevil season 1,the rest very mediocre

Literally... you just needed a Chris Pratt-type in the lead who would be game for the stuntwork, and anybody but Scott Buck.

Should have hired someone like Matt Nix of 'Burn Notice' or the guy that ran 'Leverage'. Those two are great examples of shows that had charismatic leads in crime settings with good action and humor.

Hell, Matt Nix would have been great. Equal measures snark and seriousness.

But Colleen’s brilliance also shines a light on the show’s troubling portrayal of Asian-inspired cultures through the lens of its white protagonist. For all the talk going in that the show would deal with the uncomfortable aspects of appropriation rooted in Danny Rand’s origin stories, there is literally a scene in the third episode where Danny—who really does feel like he’s that one annoying friend of yours who took a gap year before university, went backpacking in the far east, did some tai chi, and suddenly thought that they totally got the culture, man—explains how much better he is at martial arts than Colleen, in an attempt to show how much she needs his protection, in the middle of the fucking martial arts dojo that she owns. It’s not the only time the show goes out of the way to tell us how much better Danny purportedly is meant to be at many aspects of Asian culture (not just martial arts, but elements of spiritualism and even mastery of language come up across multiple episodes) than the many Asian people he is surrounded by, either, and if it weren’t so mind-bogglingly offensive in its execution it’d almost be hilarious.

From the io9 review.

WOW. I can't believe they actually went there.

THIS SHOW WAS A SLAM DUNK, SCOTT, HOW DID YOU FUCK IT UP, YOU CUNT. IT WRITES ITSELF. IT WRITES ITSELF.

It's a shame a real shame.

I like iron fist, he's probably my favorite low key marvel hero.

I'll probably still watch it anyways.

But still it's a real shame.

But not that surprising if it's made by the same guy that made me drop dexter.

Why are people giving him work?

Why does he exist?

Gosh darn it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Why does he exist?

Gosh darn it.

I really don't understand what made Marvel hire him and then, after having directed Iron Fist, think he was capable of giving him Inhumans.

caliph95

Why does he exist?

Gosh darn it.
It seems Marvel had no idea what to do with it.

Kin5290

From the io9 review.

WOW. I can't believe they actually went there.

THIS SHOW WAS A SLAM DUNK, SCOTT, HOW DID YOU FUCK IT UP, YOU CUNT. IT WRITES ITSELF. IT WRITES ITSELF.
MotherFUCKER.

How do you fuck that up? You'd think that Buck and the writers would actually keep an eye on any potentially racially tinged BS, considering how they've been facing a racial controversy since the beginning.

MotherFUCKER.

How do you fuck that up? You'd think that Buck and the writers would actually keep an eye on any potentially racially tinged BS, considering how they've been facing a racial controversy since the beginning.
Definition of being tone deafed. Which tons of people still are, especially in entertainment.

aly

The worst part about Mighty Whitey stuff is that they turned Colleen into a love interest. Why would you do that? It just adds to the problem.

Nyanmaruz

Feige probably doesn't want the MCU to be tainted by this and Scott Buck might've just ruined the chances of defenders ever appearing in the movies.

Definition of being toned deafed. Which tons of people still are, especially in entertainment.

I fully blame Scott Buck for everything.

When I get back from the gym, I'm getting to work on a re-write similar to the one I had to write to exorcise my feelings the last time this motherfucker worked on a show:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=187027436&postcount=42

This man's work on Dexter was so bad, I literally felt that I had to sit down and re-conceptualize FOUR SEASONS OF A SHOW.

Blader

Still don't get why Netflix insists on each one of these Marvel shows being 13 episodes. They'd be sooo much better if they trimmed the excess soap opera bloat each show suffers from & keep them to a tight 5-to-6 episodes. Ghost Rider was done incredibly well on this current season of Agents of Shield and if that character were to get his own Netflix series (which I hope he does!), I'd hope it wouldn't be more than 7 episodes in length.

Or the writers could just structure their shows differently. Why is every episode 55-60 minutes? Why doesn't DD and JJ have more procedural stories to space out the main plot - he's a lawyer and she's a detective! They're built for procedural episodes!

Why does he exist?

Gosh darn it.

Hollywood. Failing upwards.

S-Wind

Unfortunately the message that The Powers That Be will take home from this is that casting THAT MANY Asians results in poor reviews.

Fuuuuuuuck......

ezekial45

Banned
What's also annoying is that Scott Buck wrote some of the best episodes for Six Feet Under (That's My Dog, in particular)

Disappointing to see some of the negative impressions, but i know I'll force myself to watch it since I'm invested at this point. I made it through Jessica Jones(come at me), I know I can make it through this. I'm at least hoping the action is decent, still think DD has best non boring fight scenes out of the group so far.

Seriously. Considering the amount of unwarranted praise that critics heaped upon Marvel's other mediocrities, this one must be truly awful if it's actually getting bad reviews.

The worst part is it doesn't even sound like the fun, watchable to laugh at type of bad. It just sounds tedious and terrible.

At this point I'm not even planning to watch, and I'll watch almost anything.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Seeing as Marvel has been trying to do better...I doubt that'll be the case

Marvel really isn't trying when it comes to Asian/Asian-American representation. What's most insulting about their current approach is that they pretend to give a shit, but are quite content ignoring our concerns.

Every Asian character in Daredevil is either a gangster or a ninja. This is pretty racist in of itself, but then they had the gall to have a scene in Season 2 where two Japanese women call out a racist white dude for conflating Japanese and Chinese people. That was probably the most tone-deaf scene I've seen in a while.

Agents of SHIELD is probably Marvel's most diverse show, with two Asian-American women as main characters, and even then the only Asian dude I can recall that wasn't some throwaway gangster was Giyera, who was mostly just a lackey.

I guess the best thing you can say about Doctor Strange is that Wong isn't Strange's slave.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty happy that Iron Fist is getting shitty reviews. Hopefully Marvel will use this opportunity to learn from their mistakes, but they probably won't. They'll just keep spouting bullshit about hearing our concerns and continue not giving a single shit.

massoluk

Banned
Hmmmmmm Has Marvel always pronounced Kunlun as Kaan Laan? Because real Chinese pronunciation is Koon Loon.

The expert in Asian cultures?

Tokubetsu

Or the writers could just structure their shows differently. Why is every episode 55-60 minutes? Why doesn't DD and JJ have more procedural stories to space out the main plot - he's a lawyer and she's a detective! They're built for procedural episodes!

Yeah this is what I never understood. DD and JJ, the latter especially would have benefited so much from just have 2 or 3 eps at the start with Jessica solving shit and us learning about her through that before they thrust us full on into Killgrave. He was amazing but they made him too important too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom