• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust XBO/Win10 port coming out soon....where is the media for it?

wwm0nkey

Okay so awhile ago it was announced that the Phantom Dust port would be coming out before E3, which is now about 7 weeks away. After that announcement all we have heard was that they got the original cut scene files in and one screenshot of the game.

Phantom-Dust-Remaster_03-31-17.jpg

What is weird though is that this doesn't look bad or anything, I mean its a port with no other enhancements besides higher resolution and online play re-enabled, so for what it is it looks good. This actually brings up another point too, it took FOREVER since this was announced to get a clear answer if it was 480p or not since they were being really secretive about that for no good reason.

We are weeks away from launch of this game with nothing to really go on but a picture, they have to at least have a release date locked down right? If we go by the Tuesday releases here are the possible dates for it to come out:

4/25
5/2
5/9
5/16
5/23
5/30
6/6

So, take your bets I guess.

Microsoft Press Event is technically before E3 proper starts. I could totally see them showing the game at the Press Event then going, "And it's available now!"

I mean, they don't expect much for this game. They are basically just putting it out to avoid losing face about cancelling the actually new game that they promised their fans at E3.

I'm so excited for this. It was such a blast online back in the day. I'm guessing it'll be released during E3 Week.

Stupid question, but do we know if there are any changes to the game? Or is it just literally a straight port.

Varg

Banned
I really enjoyed he voodoo Vince remaster so I hope this is of the same quality . Will be my first windows 10 purchase if i hear positive reviews .

nstine

I'm so excited for this. It was such a blast online back in the day. I'm guessing it'll be released during E3 Week.

Stupid question, but do we know if there are any changes to the game? Or is it just literally a straight port.

I think the only announced changes to the game are to make it easier to jump straight into multiplayer and of course support for modern Xbox Live. At one point I also think they asked fans of the original game if there were any balancing changes that people wanted them to make.

Zeta Oni

I've talked about this before actually:

It's a very interesting situation.

So back at E3 when this game was revealed, around the same time we had Adam Isgreen say here on GAF that they didn't want to promise anything they might not be able do and at worst, we can expect a perfect port of PD with a steadier frame rate.

Which is a bit odd by itself, but we also have a Polygon interview with Phil Spencer where he revealed some background on how he had only heard about the rerelease just weeks before E3, and how apparently the game was nearly finished by then.

So, if the port was nearly finished a year ago, your left to wonder what could have been going on this last year. We still don't even have a solid release date, just a vague "before E3".

What I'm left to believe is a few possibilities:

A. The game has been held back to line up with the release of Arena and the updated Club feature for the Xbox OS, as both were featured heavily in the reveal for the rerelease.

And/or B. They took the time to do what they could graphically to the game which has resulted into something between a remaster and a simple port

And my own tinfoil hat theory:

And/or C. The time spent working on the game (either by MS or Code Mystics, the other team working on the rerelease who also did some work on Rare Replay hint hint) resulted in an emulator (or perhaps an easy way of porting) for the OG Xbox, and the rerelease might give that megaton away, so they are holding it until right next to E3 so they can drop that bomb.

And now we can add:

D. possible GwG

NoKisum

After the bad press about the cancelled remake/sequel, MS will probably wait to do a proper reveal and release all in the same day.

Wereroku

They made all the cards in MP available without having to play the campaign. I think they also made some balance changes. Also the game should run better and has some amount of graphical improvements but is still mostly using the original assets.

Thanks for the answers errybody.
And the GwG thing didn't even cross my mind.
That'd be a great idea. Give this game some rocket league style exposure.

m23

They'll announce a sequel being in development and that this port is available now during the presser.

Believe.

Zeta Oni

They made all the cards in MP available without having to play the campaign. I think they also made some balance changes. Also the game should run better and has some amount of graphical improvements but is still mostly using the original assets.

If I'm not mistaken, this is actually a bit more complicated:

What they are doing is releasing a free "Multiplayer Starter Pack" containing 33 Skills so you can make a custom Arsenal from the beginning rather than having to play the single player until Chapter 3*.

The full list of skills contained in the pack can be found here.

The multiplayer skill shop will be available from the get go, but you still have to earn all those skills not contained in the free DLC with credits.

Arena and Clubs are going live really soon arent they?

Yes, should be available for everyone outside of preview users in the coming weeks, id like to think sometime early May.

Freiya

This is my fav game of all time and I still can't get excited about a lame ass port that has zero visual work done.

Clive

It's a port of a very old niche game and it's digital-only. It doesn't really need a release date months ahead of launch. Looking forward to playing it for the first time personally but I can see why Microsoft isn't powering up the big Hype Machine.

opricnik

Banned
They killed any hype for it when they said it will be 480p? upscaled not even full remaster, let alone it was a remake once

Theorry

It's a port of a very old niche game and it's digital-only. It doesn't really need a release date months ahead of launch. Looking forward to playing it for the first time personally but I can see why Microsoft isn't powering up the big Hype Machine.

Its also made internally with some leftover budget Loftis said. She "found" some money wich was for something else but wasnt used.

Top Bottom