• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

Psxphile

tumblr_ophojgVs8F1resoqpo4_540.png

I KNEW IT

Jolkien

Chapter 3 door:

Ah Estelle I've missed you so so much. I love how we get to see what happened at the end of SC.

Ascheroth

Chapter 2, just got
Joshua
Gah, I can't keep up with all the characters, why do I have to choose who to take with me, they're all so awesome, except
Josette
I can't decide between
Tita, Joshua and Mueller. One of them has to go. I kinda want Tita because her normal attack is surprisingly good here. Mueller is a great attacker and he's a new playable character. But I also like Joshua, but on the other hand you had to use him for the majority of the previous games anyway.
Gahh. Why is this so difficult?
Any suggestions?

Also, my hoarding tendencies are in full force. I have between 700 and 1300 of all Sepith... and only bought a handful of cheap Quartz in the beginning, otherwise cruising with the default loadouts (fun fact: characters that join have better Quartz setups then Kevin and Ries...) and what I find.

Thud

Chapter 2, just got
Joshua
Gah, I can't keep up with all the characters, why do I have to choose who to take with me, they're all so awesome, except
Josette
I can't decide between
Tita, Joshua and Mueller. One of them has to go. I kinda want Tita because her normal attack is surprisingly good here. Mueller is a great attacker and he's a new playable character. But I also like Joshua, but on the other hand you had to use him for the majority of the previous games anyway.
Gahh. Why is this so difficult?
Any suggestions?

Also, my hoarding tendencies are in full force. I have between 700 and 1300 of all Sepith... and only bought a handful of cheap Quartz in the beginning, otherwise cruising with the default loadouts (fun fact: characters that join have better Quartz setups then Kevin and Ries...) and what I find.

I took
Joshua and Julia
and had
Josette (drop) and Mueller (bosses)
act as support.

vkrili

Don't bench Mueller. Don't treat Mueller like Olivert does. Don't be a jerk.
Why would I bring The Most Boring Man in Zemuria with me unless I also had Olivert? The two must not be separated.

'sides, he has the best Support bonus so face the bench.

Ascheroth

If he didn't want to be a mule maybe he should've changed his name to something that didn't include (the pronunciation of) mule.
Actually, if you pronounce his name in german (Müller), it doesn't :p

Ahahaha, just after I've decided on a party, I want to enter
the castle
and I have to bring
Julia
. xD

demidar

Actually, if you pronounce his name in german (Müller), it doesn't :p

Ahahaha, just after I've decided on a party, I want to enter
the castle
and I have to bring
Julia
. xD

Jokes don't work if you think through them thoroughly.

Shhhhhhh... :p

Tonton

Josette's remote support is just what I like so no way I'm using her in the main party

I basically went with Mueller and Julia for Chapter 2

Trying to decide on my party setup for Chapter 3, will probably also do some orbment setting up before heading in

The start of Chapter 4 is pretty great.
Kevin getting called out on his shit was a great scene. And the scene between Kevin and Joshua was really good. I really want to find out more about Kevin's past; all the flashbacks so far have been really intriguing.

zakujanai

Do you get a significantly better reward for winning in star door 1? I was 100 hp from beating him on my first try, got killed by the S-break on my next two and I really can't be bothered wading through all that text just to try again.

Jolkien

Wow the Salt Pale is no joke.
I had no idea Weissman was a Bishop of the Septian Church before being banished

jman2050

Man the
centaur boss
in Chapter 2 was a real doozy. This game is significantly more challenging than SC on hard so far, that's for sure. I even actually died once, though that was from a combination of horrible luck at the very end and attacking the wrong enemy when I still had a chance to win.

And now I get
Joshua
back, it's about time I get some actual top tier characters to work with!

One thing I notice is that I'm really strapped for sepith early on since the game wastes no time in giving you a full assortment of characters to keep geared up on orbments and you need to burn sepith on money too.

Do you get a significantly better reward for winning in star door 1? I was 100 hp from beating him on my first try, got killed by the S-break on my next two and I really can't be bothered wading through all that text just to try again.

I got Septium Vein and 3000 mira from beating him on the first try, is that different from what you got?

zakujanai

I got Septium Vein and 3000 mira from beating him on the first try, is that different from what you got?

You get the same reward whether you defeat him or not.

It's really irritating, when I almost won he never once missed me, the times I've was more reckless and died he missed a few times. That's the same reward I got from almost beating him, I guess the only difference must be the scene following? Not worth the aggravation, I'll leave it as it is then, thanks for the reply.

Loz246789

BACKSTORY NO KISEKI. Contrary to popular(?) opinion, I've always loved Kloe,
so getting a fuck ton of character development was great, even if the monologuing was a little much. And the Academy kids again! Yay!

Also, I have another reason to replay cold steel when the pc port comes out, because this has completely changed my perception of a certain character. Xseed order is truly the best way to play the series. :p

Jolkien

For Sara: Some of the chest when you open the full map in Golden Road do not appear at the correct places.

Not sure if it's an already known issue or not.

Theswweet

Heads up, make sure you're keeping everyone in your party in tip-top shape. That includes keeping their orbments updated.

You'll thank me later.

Damn, I thought Sun Door 3 would be harder. The prelim arena fights weren't too challenging until the G-Apache and minions, but Olivier and Zin work together surprisingly well.

Start of Chapter 3 reminds me of Final Fantasy VI :p
Not the last time you'll have to organize multiple groups for a dungeon, so make sure everyone's decently leveled at intervals.

OK, I don't have the patience to figure out how to set up cheat engine.
Can you hook it up to the .exe and start speedhack at all? After that, it's about setting up hotkeys so they work via KB and/or special binds on pad/mouse when the game's in focus (I use X-Mouse for one-handed play).

Soph

How'd ya like it? :) It's personally my favorite of the four I've played (bought the 3rd but MAC PROBLEMS so really can't play it atm)

Loved it, reminds me of all those games from my youth. I don't know if I will ever get into the other games. I like the sprites.. the top down walking around.. the no cringey voiceacting, characters escaping their tropes, everyone having something new to say every other story bit.

Can you hook it up to the .exe and start speedhack at all? After that, it's about setting up hotkeys so they work via KB and/or special binds on pad/mouse when the game's in focus (I use X-Mouse for one-handed play).

It's not difficult. Here.
To let it auto-attach to the game do this:

Thanks, looking at the size of the tutorial I thought it would be harder. Can't get the hotkeys to work though.

Thud

Chapter 3 will have to wait for tomorrow. I did finish star door 2 and 3. The requirement for 2 took a bit of time, but I wanted to get it out of the way asap.

I've been too busy going through Moon Door 3 to worry about Anelace and her awesome sword. Damn is this some popcorn reading, in a great way...I wish Kloe had more development earlier in SC (very much pushed back into Chapter 8), but this has compensated and then some. Also, it's a master class in tone contrast and changes. I hope there's more writing of this caliber in Zero/Ao.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 2
I love how ominous Grancel is here, and I enjoyed going through it like a dungeon. FC's final dungeon was annoying, so when they went down there again I was like oh shit. Glad it wasn't what I was expecting.

Josette was one of my least favourite characters in the beginning of FC, but she really grew on me in SC so it's nice to have her so early. Major Vander's right, she is so very charming. I doubt she'd see much use in a Hard/Nightmare run, but since I'm on Easy I'll use her to my heart's content.

Chapter 3 (so far)
Didn't feel like starting the two roads right away so I decided to do a door or two first. Didn't do any doors in chapter 2 so I was craving a side story. Started with star door 3 and I enjoyed every second of it. I really needed that dose of Estelle. (Hope I can recruit her soon.) Decided to check out sun door 1 while I was at it and was surprised that even a mini-game door had some story to it. I should have known better than to think that it wouldn't.

Also, let me take this opportunity to say I love Gilbert. The guy never fails to bring a smile to my face.

FLD

So, did I accidentally skip an area or something? I'm in Chapter 2 and just made it to
the bottom of the sealed area under Grancel Castle.
Looking at the warp menu, it seems I somehow missed the first one. The first item on the warp menu is blank but I have
Grand Arena, Castle Hall and Sealed Area Btm.
Where is the first one?

Thud

So, did I accidentally skip an area or something? I'm in Chapter 2 and just made it to
Looking at the warp menu, it seems I somehow missed the first one. The first item on the warp menu is blank but I have
Where is the first one?

Right next to the entrance of the plane, I missed it myself lol.

Aeana

Where is the first one?
There's a teleport point on the street near where you entered the city.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one that missed that monument. Didn't realize it was there until I was halfway done with the chapter.

tumblr_ophojgVs8F1resoqpo4_540.png

I KNEW IT

Huh, that's strange. The message of that chest changed in my game. I checked the other chests in the area and apparently all of them also changed. Maybe due to different time of day?

FzElFMa.png

On the bright side, I might have unwittingly found a lost excerpt of Trails in the Chest.

Chapter 2
I love how ominous Grancel is here, and I enjoyed going through it like a dungeon. FC’s final dungeon was annoying, so when they went down there again I was like oh shit. Glad it wasn’t what I was expecting.

Chapter 3 (so far)
Decided to check out sun door 1 while I was at it and was surprised that even a mini-game door had some story to it. I should have known better than to think that it wouldn’t.

Also, let me take this opportunity to say I love Gilbert. The guy never fails to bring a smile to my face.
Chapter 2 gives you a lot of freedom to roam once you've unlocked
Grancel Castle
, and it's a nice theme for a dungeon (especially dat Parallel Universe track). The one-time boss fights there help pacing a lot, and you don't even need the
Sealed Area
for chest overkill!

Sun Door 3 doesn't actually have any story to it, unfortunately, though it's implied Gilbert ran off elsewhere in Phantasma Grancel after Chapter 2 before fixing up the G-Apache and participating in the fighting prelims. What a trooper, doing two combat mini-games

Link1110

I want to play this, but so busy with other games and life. Just one question (about the trilogy on general) is Sara valestein in this while she's still a bracket? That'd move it up my priority list quite a bit.

And op mentioned going to places from the first two games. I was under the impression this
was a dungeon crawler taking place entirely inside someone's mind (or is that a spoiler?)

Top Bottom