• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

SNES isn't as popular or iconic as NES to the mainstream market

so that just means expected Nintendo to produces fewer of them than NES classic.

lol

I'm pretty sure I own every game Nintendo could throw on a SNES mini unless they really dig deep.

Same, but I would still buy one, because I'm a sucker.

Potential List:

Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Star Fox(I'm really hoping they work out the rights situation)
Final Fantasy III
Super Mario RPG
ActRasier
Super Castlevania IV
Contra III
Super Tecmo Bowl
Mega Man X
Kirbys Dreamland 3
Ms. Pac man
Super Punch Out(maybe)
Zelda: Link to the Past
Super Bomberman
Super Street Fighter II
SImCity(maybe)
One of the Final Fights
I doubt Chrono Trigger would be included, maybe Secret of Mana.

I could see them only putting twenty or twenty five games on it, rather than 30.

I would be shocked if at least two-thirds of that list isn't on the actual SNES mini.

Fularu

Banned
If Nintendo goes 30 games it will retail for at least 99$, more realistically 119$, especially now that they know they could have gotten away with it for the NES mini

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I dont really have an interest in the Snes Mini considering i own every game they could potentially put on it as well. Cool for the more casual players though, that they are getting a cheap and cool-looking device for playing these amazing games.

TeaJay

I dont really have an interest in the Snes Mini considering i own every game they could potentially put on it as well. Cool for the more casual players though, that they are getting a cheap and cool-looking device for playing these amazing games.

This is what I thought about the NES Mini too but it was still collectors and resellers that bought them, with casual players getting the device way less than they wanted.

Hootie

Does anybody know if the Super Everdrive supports the English translation of BS Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets?

There's no mention of BS-X support for Everdrive as far I could tell, so I wasn't sure if the Everdrive could play it or not. I know the SD2SNES should be able to without issue.

Does anybody know if the Super Everdrive supports the English translation of BS Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets?

There's no mention of BS-X support for Everdrive as far I could tell, so I wasn't sure if the Everdrive could play it or not. I know the SD2SNES should be able to without issue.

Works just fine on mine.

Mark5130

Looking for any tips or advice to remove the label residue on one of my SNES boxes. The usual "hair dryer" method didn't work very well as the labels were very dried out. I've seen tutorials on YouTube ranging from using razor blades to Goo Gone to lighter fluid. Any direction?

I've had great luck with Goo Gone, but it does leave an oily sheen to the box. I put a little on the residue, let is soak for 10-20 seconds, and it scrapes right off. You will then spend a lot of time trying to get the greasy look to go away. I polish it with something soft like a tissue, plus a tiny bit of water. The colors tend to look a bit off afterwards as well.

I think some people recommend lighter fluid as well, as that leaves less of a sheen.

Looking for any tips or advice to remove the label residue on one of my SNES boxes. The usual "hair dyer" method didn't work very well as the labels where very dried out. I've seen tutorials on YouTube ranging from using razor blades to Goo Gone to lighter fluid. Any direction?

Mark5130

I've seen several videos that show succes with lighter fluid, but wouldn't The box smell afterwards? That would probably make me more crazy than the label itself.

Olly88

Looking for any tips or advice to remove the label residue on one of my SNES boxes. The usual "hair dyer" method didn't work very well as the labels where very dried out. I've seen tutorials on YouTube ranging from using razor blades to Goo Gone to lighter fluid. Any direction?

A few months ago someone I'm subscribed to on Youtube did label removing in one of his videos (starts at the 25:00 mark) which looks like it works well.

I was in a town I'm rarely in today and I popped into a game store ive never been in. Found these gems on the perfect day! (may 4th)
rAw5zkU.jpeg

I only own a few SNES games, mainly ones that don't work on an everdrive (Starfox, Mario kart, yoshi's island)

But one of the ones I have CIB for nostalgia's sake is SimCity.

I noticed something strange about my copy:

Has ESRB rating.
Is not a "players choice" branded box, looks otherwise identical on front cover to the copies at launch.
Made in Japan.
Back of the box lists copyright dates as 1991, 1996.
Back of the box text references "return of the classic strategy game by popular demand."

what is this version? 1996? that seems super late to be remaking a near launch snes game without player choice branding and having it made in japan, not mexico, like most of the late re-releases are. And nintendo went to the trouble to change the text on the back of the box, and get it ESRB rated?? so weird.

I was in a town I'm rarely in today and I popped into a game store ive never been in. Found these gems on the perfect day! (may 4th)

They look like they're in great condition too! They're brutal but I love those games. I used to borrow my friend's copies all the time. Many years later and I just need Return, have the other two.

They look like they're in great condition too! They're brutal but I love those games. I used to borrow my friend's copies all the time. Many years later and I just need Return, have the other two.

One of them has a bit of a crinkle in the bottom of the box but it's acceptable. The prices are just paper slipped between the protective cover and the box as well. I was so relieved they weren't stuck on the cardboard!

Sounds cool, but Columbus Circle eh? Wonder if they can make SFC carts better than FC carts. That is, carts that actually work on original consoles. Still feel burned by their 8-bit Music Power cart.

Yeah. I feel like I dodged a bullet. 8BMP works great on my AV Fami, but I've avoided their subsequent releases after hearing about other folks' trouble.

Rydeen

I actually love Shubibinman Zero, but it's been available as an unofficial cartridge for some time, and that cover art on this edition looks rank, doesn't look authentic at all.

Square2015

Reposting the three SFC articles from Video Games & Computer Entertainment, I had to tidy them up a bit.

Plus, I added their article 'Everything You Wanted to Know About the SNES

Part 1

400,000 sold on launch day plus 400,000 sold two weeks later (in one day), interesting sales data, this is new.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
quick question.

got a super famicom fresh in .. pal region here,

should i get

dkc 1 2 3 boxed complete japan
super metroid boxed complete japan
final fantasy 4 5 6 naked carts japan

120 bucks...

i cant read japanese

so is this an ok deal ?

quick question.

got a super famicom fresh in .. pal region here,

should i get

dkc 1 2 3 boxed complete japan
super metroid boxed complete japan
final fantasy 4 5 6 naked carts japan

120 bucks...

i cant read japanese

so is this an ok deal ?

You don't need Japanese skills for the first 4. FF games you would but they are also extremely cheap so why not.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
any tips how to actually play ff 4 5 and 6 ?
without having any knowledge?

i can use my phone to translate.
i refuse to use a hacked rom

"This might seem odd to some, but for me the story in most games, even in JRPGs, is boring, unimportant, and borderline useless. The sooner you embrace that, the sooner you can just enjoy games for, you know, the game part."

you just made me spend a shit ton of cash

I'm glad someone is finally getting some use out of that thread.

TeaJay

I actually love Shubibinman Zero, but it's been available as an unofficial cartridge for some time, and that cover art on this edition looks rank, doesn't look authentic at all.

I tried this on my SD2SNES and it's a pretty fun game. Music is awesome, reminds me a lot of SNES era Capcom and Mega Man games.

Is there a romhacking translation for Shubibinman Zero available? I tried searching for it but couldn't find one.

TheMoon

Do they both default to English? Maybe they're the same ROM but with different SRAM settings to prioritize one language over the other.

I wouldn't know. But I think the menus are English anyway?

Random fun fact: this was an interesting callback in the Japanese release of Other M, which also had the English audio and text in there.

D.Lo

Do they both default to English? Maybe they're the same ROM but with different SRAM settings to prioritize one language over the other.
No way to prove that without opening a sealed copy. But I'll pretty confident in stating that yes the Japsnese copy defaults to English.

I wouldn't know. But I think the menus are English anyway?

Random fun fact: this was an interesting callback in the Japanese release of Other M, which also had the English audio and text in there.
Japanese audio makes the game actually playable too. The silly melodramatic animu story fits so much better when told in Japanese, instead of insanely bad English dub.

No way to prove that without opening a sealed copy. But I'll pretty confident in stating that yes the Japsnese copy defaults to English.
Do Japanese SFC games come sealed from the factory, btw? I thought they weren't, and if they were sealed, it was the retailer doing it.

Bar81

Do Japanese SFC games come sealed from the factory, btw? I thought they weren't, and if they were sealed, it was the retailer doing it.

That's correct. The "seal" is the flimsy cardboard case - sometimes you can open a game once or twice without it showing but usually when you open the game, the white crease down the hinge of the flap tells you it's been opened.

Kalnos

Banned
Got this along with a couple N64 games. Super happy to add it to my collection for $30, especially in this condition.

Awesome! I played it fairly recently and it still holds up really well IMO.

Seeing boxes makes me wish I collected boxes when I started but then I look at prices and I change my mind, lol. With that said when I was kid I just displayed loose carts so I guess my current setup is more authentic in a way.

Awesome! I played it fairly recently and it still holds up really well IMO.

Seeing boxes makes me wish I collected boxes when I started but then I look at prices and I change my mind, lol. With that said when I was kid I just displayed loose carts so I guess my current setup is more authentic in a way.

Yea I like the boxes but they are kinda crazy. Never played Actraiser but always hear good things about it so had it on my list for a while.

Currently replaying Super Metroid (what an amazing game still) but may play it next.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Actraiser is a really cool game, but I do think the sim-aspects are a bit too simple for it to be enjoyable in the long run. Becomes kinda tedious after a while there, would be cool with some more strategy. The final boss rush in this game is a total bitch though, and dont even get me started on Professional mode.

Olly88

I played ActRaiser for the first time in a while last night.

Is Professional mode the same as "Action Mode" in the PAL version? That's all I can play of it as I have a German copy and can't understand what's being said in the sim parts. It's cool, but I find it quite hard.

Timu

I played ActRaiser for the first time in a while last night.

Is Professional mode the same as "Action Mode" in the PAL version? That's all I can play of it as I have a German copy and can't understand what's being said in the sim parts. It's cool, but I find it quite hard.
Yes.

Top Bottom