• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 28 Nov - 4 Dec

bigfurb

Oblivion said:
Total games sales Sony: 348k
Total games sales Nintendo: 373k

Day-um. Capcom's gonna eat like Kings for the holidays.
That's pretty funny. Nintendo "dominates" with 8 titles in the top 10, but in terms of actual # of games sold it's close to even.

bigfurb said:
That's pretty funny. Nintendo "dominates" with 8 titles in the top 10, but in terms of actual # of games sold it's close to even.

Then you look at hardware last week and see how nintendo makes money..

NDS > All systems last week combined

Culex

Banned
Great sales for Nintendo, and even better for RE4. Well deserved, too.

I still can't believe 8 out of the 10 charted on Nintendo systems, it's like we're back in 1994.

Culex

Banned
bigfurb said:

As far as handhelds software sold, Nintendo dominated.

345,000 to 114,000

Beowvlf

Banned
MHP clearly shows that there is a demand for PSP games, and they can sell extremely well, it's just Sony and third parties need to, you know, release games that the Japanese actually want! Here's to hoping 2006 is a much stronger year for Japanese PSP software sales.

apotema

Good for a great game like RE4, it is a shame that GC one didn't sell that well..... Better for Nintendo

Expect to see ranking in 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,16,17: Naruto 4, Power Pro Pocket 8, Daredemo, the other brain Training, the other Rockman, Mario Party 7 and Tamagotchi

ONE BIG QUESTION, that I think no one knows for sure: Why does the Greyga version of Rockman EXE is selling much more than the Faltzer one????? The game is not abouta a color more popular than the other or a special character, Does somebody knows??

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Heian-kyo said:
MHP clearly shows that there is a demand for PSP games, and they can sell extremely well, it's just Sony and third parties need to, you know, release games that the Japanese actually want! Here's to hoping 2006 is a much stronger year for Japanese PSP software sales.
Speak for yourself.

cvxfreak

gconsole said:
This was last generation biohazard first week record

PS Biohazard - 148,904 new
PS Biohazard 2 - 1,389,733 new
PS Biohazard 3 - 1,005,020 new

Now Biohazard 4 come back to Playstation home , hopefully it start the new generation of biohazard and Biohazard 5/6 should sell crazy like biohazard 2/3 :D

Let's start a Biohazard first week sales bonanza dealie. :lol

Newer numbers (Zero -> forward) are MC. Older ones (REmake and before) as well as non-top debuts are Famitsu.

PS Biohazard 2 1,389,733
PS Biohazard 3 Last Escape 1,005,020

DC Biohazard CODE: Veronica 306,778
PS2 Biohazard 4 243,000
PS2 Biohazard Outbreak 227,100

GC Biohazard 0 194,900
PS2 Biohazard CODE: Veronica Kanzenban 184,475
PS Biohazard Gun Survivor 158,101
PS Biohazard 148,904
PS Biohazard Director's Cut 144,349

GC Biohazard 4 142,025
GC Biohazard 119,019
PS Biohazard 2 Dual Shock Version 98,746
PS2 Biohazard Outbreak File 2 91,207
SS Biohazard 68,130
PS Biohazard Director's Cut Dual Shock Version 54,872
PS2 Biohazard Gun Survivor 2 CODE: Veronica 32,296
PS2 Biohazard Gun Survivor 4 Heroes Never Die 16,847

DC Biohazard CODE: Veronica Kanzenban 12,852
GC Biohazard 2 9,372
GC Biohazard 3 Last Escape 8,691
N64 Biohazard 2 8,601
DC Biohazard 3 Last Escape 6,332

Jonnyram

Heian-kyo said:
MHP clearly shows that there is a demand for PSP games, and they can sell extremely well, it's just Sony and third parties need to, you know, release games that the Japanese actually want!
:lol I am so using that as 360 damage control next week. "They just need to release game the Japanese want". hahaha.

gconsole

SS Biohazard 68,130
PS Biohazard Director's Cut Dual Shock Version 54,872
PS2 Biohazard Gun Survivor 2 CODE: Veronica 32,296
PS2 Biohazard Gun Survivor 4 Heroes Never Die 16,847
DC Biohazard CODE: Veronica Kanzenban 12,852
GC Biohazard 2 9,372
GC Biohazard 3 Last Escape
N64 Biohazard 2 8,601
DC Biohazard 3 Last Escape 6,332

What was capcom thinking ? :lol

Can't wait for Xbox360 number next week too!

Timbuktu

Happy to see RE4 selling, but can't help wondering that if the Japanese wanted RE4 so much, why did they wait a year to play it when it's been on GC all this time? I just don't understand why Capcom announced the PS2 version so early.

Beowvlf

Banned
Jonnyram said:
:lol I am so using that as 360 damage control next week. "They just need to release game the Japanese want". hahaha.
And you don't think this applies to the 360 as well? Sure there will always be an inherent bias against it in Japan, but honestly, if it had FF, DQ and MGS confirmed as current or future releases, do you still think it would sell so wretchedly?

heidern

Heian-kyo said:
I've been saying this all year. The psp is a great piece of hardware, but the Japanese line up has been really poor in terms of attracting sales. As for 2006, Sony may have missed their window of opportunity and it could end up worse than this year as developers focus more on the DS and have the ps3/Revolution to distract them too.

Jonnyram

In the end, MHP is a port, and the main reason it's selling is because Capcom promised it will connect to Monster Hunter 2 somehow. The repeat audience of the Monster Hunter series is pretty damned high - maybe as high as 90% or thereabouts, so that's likely who it's selling to. It's impressive numbers either way you look at it.

Culex

Banned
Jonnyram said:
In the end, MHP is a port, and the main reason it's selling is because Capcom promised it will connect to Monster Hunter 2 somehow. The repeat audience of the Monster Hunter series is pretty damned high - maybe as high as 90% or thereabouts, so that's likely who it's selling to. It's impressive numbers either way you look at it.

Agreed. If the game has legs, it might even outsell Minna no Golf by late January.

Andy787

Banned
Wow, those are incredibly impressive numbers for Monster Hunter PSP. :)

And damn, even better for RE4. I thought people were expecting it to flop? That looks pretty damned impressive to me. I'm sure Capcom must be happy with it.

cvxfreak

Andy787 said:
Wow, those are incredibly impressive numbers for Monster Hunter PSP. :)

And damn, even better for RE4. I thought people were expecting it to flop? That looks pretty damned impressive to me. I'm sure Capcom must be happy with it.

Started slow, ended with a bang. Good indeed.

cvxfreak

Izzy said:
No more Shinji Mikami curse?

Unfortunately the US seems less interested in the port than the Japanese. The GC one may still end up ahead worldwide especially when the GC one goes Player's Choice. But it would be interesting to see the curse broken indeed. :lol (the curse is a joke anywho)

If you can provide a rough EU figure, that would be great too.

Izzy

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Unfortunately the US seems less interested in the port than the Japanese. The GC one may still end up ahead worldwide especially when the GC one goes Player's Choice. But it would be interesting to see the curse broken indeed. :lol (the curse is a joke anywho)

If you can provide a rough EU figure, that would be great too.

It flopped - not as badly as say, Sonic Rush, but still... :-\

Izzy

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Damnit. :(

Funny how the Japanese got it five weeks late and they ended up gobbling it the fastest.

No bloody idea- if it's any consolation, SC3 flopped pretty badly, too. ;_:

Andy787

Banned
Heian-kyo said:
Exactly. I think, more importantly, it shows that games that actually take advantage of the system are what people want. Capcom put the effort into MHP, and they deservedly reap the reward.

And damn, I still can't believe RE4 PS2 outsold the GameCube version's entire run in a friggin week. Go RE4! :)

neo2046

Dengeki

- Biohazard 4 (PS2) - 242k (75% of the shippment sold)
Outbreak - 195k (408k total)
- Animal Crossing WW - 160k (Total 521k)
- Monster Hunter P(PSP)- 129k
Winning Eleven 9UE PSP (1st week 105k / 191k total)
- NDS - 169k (40% up), PSP - 89k (56.0% up)
- total Hardware sales: DS - 3.881 millions, PSP - 2.203 millions
total Software sales: DS - 9.682 millions, PSP - 4.317 millions
- DS Adult Training - 874k total

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
jett said:
Holy crap Biohazard 4 was a massive hit. Nfans am cry.

what did people expect when the ps2 version (with added bonus material!!!!) was announced before the gc version went on sale?

this shouldnt have been shocking.

cvxfreak

quadriplegicjon said:
what did people expect when the ps2 version (with added bonus material!!!!) was announced before the gc version went on sale?

It's the US sales that were shocking.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
neo2046 said:
Dengeki

- Biohazard 4 (PS2) - 242k (75% of the shippment sold)
Outbreak - 195k (408k total)
- Animal Crossing WW - 160k (Total 521k)
- Monster Hunter P(PSP)- 129k
Winning Eleven 9UE PSP (1st week 105k / 191k total)
- NDS - 169k (40% up), PSP - 89k (56.0% up)
- total Hardware sales: DS - 3.881 millions, PSP - 2.203 millions
total Software sales: DS - 9.682 millions, PSP - 4.317 millions
- DS Adult Training - 874k total
So they put the tie ratios at

DS - 2.49
PSP - 1.96

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Should help me get over Man U catastrophe. :-\"
i get it both ways - i get to celebrate with MH, and it helps me get over the celebration of an early Man Yoo exit! ha ha ha

(i don't really mean that, any English team doing well in europe is good , even the filthy scum)

Dalthien

Fuzzy said:
So they put the tie ratios at

DS - 2.49
PSP - 1.96

Dengeki's hardware totals are usually pretty close, but their software numbers are often a fair bit higher than Media Create or Famitsu. So I'm assuming that Media Create or Famitsu would probably have tie ratios a bit lower for each system - but these numbers should still be a pretty good barometer of each system.

quadriplegicjon said:

Also, isn't the story reversed in the US? Hasn't RE4 sold more on GCN than PS2?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I predicted a couple months back that MHP would be PSP's Pokemon and would be PSP's best chance at the DS dynasty. It just defines the type of game people want to play on the go. If Sony is smart they are working on their very own first party Pokemon killer as we speak.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
monkeyrun said:
DS domination . :lol
who would've thought

Overall Sony and Nintendo sales are very close though so I wouldn't call it domination.

heidern

The Dengeki top 15 has:
ps2 Biohazard 4
DS Animal Crossing
psp Monster Hunter Portable
GBA Pokemon Dungeon Red
DS Pokemon Dungeon Blue
DS Slime Mori Mori 2
DS Tamagotchi
DS Dragon Ball Z
DS Brain Training
GBA Rockman EXE 6
GC SD Gundam Wars
GBA Rockman EXE 6
DS Gentle Brain Training
GC Naruto 4
DS Daredemo

Hardware sales are also ridiculously high. Last year the ps2 managed 93,000 and the GBA 27,000(althougth the DS launched at 468,000). The year before the ps2 was at 105,000, the GBA 40,000 and the GC at 38,000. The psp sales of around 89,000 themselves are very strong, and should do well for the rest of the holiday period I think.

The DS however, well it is just gonna be spectacular. The thing with it is, we're getting hit games that have a big opening week, but they're also the kind of games that have legs. Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon will continue to sell throughout the holiday. The same will happen for Animal Crossing. Mario Kart will be huge next week and that will have legs and Mushiking will give it a real battle. Then towards the end of the month we get Mario & Luigi and Brain Training 2. All of this is underpinned by the first 2 Brain Training games, Daredemo, Nintendogs and Tamagotchi.

Last year the DS did the following 468K -> 198K -> 221K -> 396K.
The ps2 did 93K -> 98 -> 112K -> 188K
This year it is 169K -> ??? -> ??? -> ???. Seeing as the normal pattern is for sales to increase the DS is likely sell over 600K, possibly up towards 800K over the next 3 weeks.

neo2046

http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/rank/total_rank.html

01. PS2 Biohazard 4 - Capcom - 242,878
02. NDS Animal Crossing - Nintendo - 130,355 (455,821)
03. PSP Monster Hunter Portable - Capcom - 113,640
04. NDS Slime Mori Mori DQ 2 - Square Enix - 45,810
05. GBA Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon - Pokemon - 39,267 (209,307)
06. NDS Dragonball Z - Bandai - 35,675
07. NDS Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon - Pokemon - 35,093 (208,959)
08. GBA Rockman EXE 6 Graygar - Capcom - 32,767 (139,866)
09. NGC SD Gundam Gachapon Wars - Bandai - 28,382
10. NDS Nou wo kitaeru Otona no DS Training - Nintendo - 26,219 (812,105)

monkeyrun

mckmas8808 said:
Overall Sony and Nintendo sales are very close though so I wouldn't call it domination.
5 out of 10 games in the top 10 are DS games, I don't know what you are talking about.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wow, great start for RE4 PS2. It didn't look like it was going to do so well after initial sales reports.

Why can't PS2 owners in the states be as receptive? Buy this game, people!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Link said:
Wow, great start for RE4 PS2. It didn't look like it was going to do so well after initial sales reports.

Why can't PS2 owners in the states be as receptive? Buy this game, people!!

We are waiting for Christmas time. Well at least I am. :lol

Top Bottom