• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

The Tech Report —— AMD's Ryzen 5 CPUs reviewed, part two: Getting down to business

• Page 1 - Introduction
• Page 2 - Memory subsystem performance | Some quick synthetic math tests
• Page 3 - Javascript performance | Compiling code in GCC | 7-Zip file compression | VeraCrypt disk encryption
• Page 4 - Cinebench | Blender | Handbrake video transcoding | LuxMark OpenCL performance
• Page 5 - Image analysis with picCOLOR | CFD performance with Euler3D | Digital audio workstation performance
• Page 6 - A quick look at power consumption and efficiency
• Page 7 - Conclusions​

·feist·;233722987 said:
ryzen5-valuetijca.png

award_editorschoice_wa1jz5.png

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 & AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
June 2017

award_recommended_whi8vjy7.png

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
June 2017

·feist·;231164071 said:

Paragon

·feist·;239296098 said:
The Tech Report —— AMD's Ryzen 5 1600X and Ryzen 5 1500X CPUs reviewed
ryzen5-valuetijca.png
It's frustrating that they don't have the R7-1700/X on these charts.
You have to wonder why they would omit that, since it's close to 1800X performance at a significantly lower price point.

It's frustrating that they don't have the R7-1700/X on these charts.
You have to wonder if that's an intentional omission, since it's basically 1800X performance at a significantly lower price point.

You think the tech report is intentionally trying to make ryzen look bad?

Paragon

You think the tech report is intentionally trying to make ryzen look bad?
I should have phrased that better.
It's unlikely, but I'm just confused as to why they would not include the 1700/X on that chart.
I think the R7-1700X should be a hair above the i7-6800K in performance based on their tests, but positioned just above the 7700K price. ($350 rather than $340)
The 1800X is not a compelling product unless you have no plans to overclock, as it's $110 more than the 1700X but only offers a slight performance increase.

tuxfool

Banned
I should have phrased that better.
It's unlikely, but I'm just confused as to why they would not include the 1700/X on that chart.
I think the R7-1700X should be a hair above the i7-6800K in performance based on their tests, but positioned just above the 7700K price. ($350 rather than $340)
The 1800X is not a compelling product unless you have no plans to overclock, as it's $110 more than the 1700X but only offers a slight performance increase.

To be fair, if you traced a line through all the points in that chart you could figure out where the 1700 lies. It is an unusually clear performance/cost relationship across the product stack.

Khaz

Isn't the extra performance of the 7700k a product of a higher frequency threshold? Would the single core performance be on par if AMD manages to get their future chips as fast?

AMD has been modularizing their CPU and GPU parts since the start of Bulldozer, so they already focus on repurposing existing technology. Both the PS4 and the Xbox One already use a processor combining 2 modules with 4 cores each, just like the currently common Ryzen die ended up consisting of. I'd say it's clear AMD is using the R&D for these semi custom solutions to gain experience for its own product. Similarly the R&D into the APU packaging for Scorpio may be a part for the Zen APUs Raven Ridge. (Please note that I'm strictly talking about packaging and uncore stuff here, it's obvious both consoles are still based on Jaguar.)

Regarding your last question, that's what Raven Ridge (aka Ryzen Mobile) is about, combining Zen cores with Vega cores. Of course such could be used for consoles as well, though naturally they'd need to be lower clocked than what we are used to seeing on desktops. Cost is usually a matter of timing, though current Zen dies already have quite a high yield already (which is necessary to keep cost down).

That's already the feasible upper limit of the 14LPP process node used.
Yes, but Threadripper is clearly two distinct halves with separate connections to the motherboard. Could a Vega+HBM module be placed on one of those halves?

Would this be feasible from a cost perspective?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Isn't the extra performance of the 7700k a product of a higher frequency threshold? Would the single core performance be on par if AMD manages to get their future chips as fast?

I would expect Intel to hold the edge on single core performance for a while. That's not to say that AMD can't close the gap, but Intel is still ahead here.

However, given the seemed success of Ryzen, I do suspect that developers will start optimizing for more cores, which will certainly close the gap and maybe even start to produce some bonafide win's for AMD. AMD will be in trouble if Intel decides to price their i9s competitively. So far they seem to carry a premium price.

I plan to pick up a 1600X sometime next week and will be quite excited to do so.

vector824

I would expect Intel to hold the edge on single core performance for a while. That's not to say that AMD can't close the gap, but Intel is still ahead here.

However, given the seemed success of Ryzen, I do suspect that developers will start optimizing for more cores, which will certainly close the gap and maybe even start to produce some bonafide win's for AMD. AMD will be in trouble if Intel decides to price their i9s competitively. So far they seem to carry a premium price.

I plan to pick up a 1600X sometime next week and will be quite excited to do so.

Emphasis mine. Intel has been on top for so long this wont happen for a long long time. The reason is Intel has not been innovating, and instead developing their product line as a business model, every year you see 10% gains, and nothing new. Once AMD starts threatening their market share then they'll start to come down.

Datschge

Yes, but Threadripper is clearly two distinct halves with separate connections to the motherboard. Could a Vega+HBM module be placed on one of those halves?

Would this be feasible from a cost perspective?
I don't think anybody knows yet what the visible socket halves are about. The SP3/TR4 socket has 4.094 pins and is primarily used for the massive Epyc server chips, which include four dies for 16 cores. Threadripper presumably only uses half of them. Such a socket would never make it into a console, chips aren't replaceable there anyway.

HBM is definitely too costly for mainstream use for the foreseeable time. AMD uses MCM so far.

The Zen designs so far all had to be balanced, so if we use two dies they need to have the same core count each. We could use two Raven Ridge dies presumably giving 8 Zen cores and 22 Vega compute units combined. But it may be more feasible to just use the common 8 core die and combine it with a higher number of compute units as 22 is already lowballing (Xbox One has 12, PS4 18, PS4 Pro 36 and Scorpio 40 compute units). Cost wise this may break even at the price PS4 and Xbox One originally released. Significantly more cores and compute units would make it way more costly though until yield improves further. (Current consoles improve yield by the GPU die having two spare CUs so that up to two defect units can be deactivated without the whole die becoming worthless. But this increases the die size and as such the cost per die.)

AMD will be in trouble if Intel decides to price their i9s competitively. So far they seem to carry a premium price.
Honestly so far it seem it would only spell trouble for Intel. First by pricing their higher core count chips actually competitively they'd run into the danger of losing their profit makers, and high margins is what Intel is perpetually expected of. Second their higher core count chips are all bigger dies with worse yields whereas AMD gets away with a small die scaling up close enough to the same performance per core. In both areas AMD already has more room to maneuver.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So which motherboard is best B350 motherboard so far?

Granted I doubt that there are any real significant differences between models/brands I do want to make sure my investment is protected.

I am leaning towards ASUS because of BIOS flashback, since in the past I have bought a motherboard (from Intel no less!) that required a BIOS update before it would recognize my CPU, and I do not want to deal with that hassle.

However, I have always had a softspot for Gigabyte and ASRock. Never owned an MSI.

So which motherboard is best B350 motherboard so far?

Granted I doubt that there are any real significant differences between models/brands I do want to make sure my investment is protected.

I am leaning towards ASUS because of BIOS flashback, since in the past I have bought a motherboard (from Intel no less!) that required a BIOS update before it would recognize my CPU, and I do not want to deal with that hassle.

However, I have always had a softspot for Gigabyte and ASRock. Never owned an MSI.
I hear the Gigabyte Gaming 3 is the B350 to get, with Asrock Gaming K4 being a second place pick.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Holy shit I want one of these so bad.

Those price performance charts make Intel look like the thieving bastards they are btw lol.

But...but that ten percent top on single core for gaming though! Worth *every penny!* :D

Just looking over the prices again for my future build. Was going to get an i7 6700K.

So glad I checked first before buying.

Someone touched on it earlier, multi tasking. I always look at overall features, specs, performance of products. Ryzen is hard to pass up.

llien

AMD will be in trouble if Intel decides to price their i9s competitively. So far they seem to carry a premium price.

From Linus' video, Intel doesn't have i9's with more than 12 cores until the end of the year (because they didn't plan to release those) So competitive pricing isn't even an option.

FingerBang

The 1060 is a fine GPU. Although, you would have been fine going with a 480 from someone like Sapphire

I would have if it didn't cost 100$ because of the "mining tax". I wanted to go freesync as well, but ended up getting a cheaper gaming 1080p monitor while waiting for Vega/Volta and affordable 4K gaming.

By the way, I can confirm that Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 run at 2666MHz on my Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3. I couldn't find much info about it, so it might be useful to write it here. Might try to overclock to 3000Mhz.

Datschge

From Linus' video, Intel doesn't have i9's with more than 12 cores until the end of the year (because they didn't plan to release those) So competitive pricing isn't even an option.
Technically they are "only" reusing the Xeon LCC and HCC dies. For the purpose of HEDT they have to clock higher so they likely need to bin more HCC, e.g. the existing 18 core Xeon E5-2699 v3 has a base clock of 2.3 GHz (3.5 GHz turbo).

ComputerBase —— Processor ranking: CPU comparison with AMD Ryzen 7 & 5 for June 2017 [German]

cb-recommended-cpudeoya.png

Google Translate:

Which processor do I need? Leaderboard from beginner to high-end

In addition to the pure performance rating from the benchmarks, the price / performance ratio also plays a role in the list. With Ryzen 7 AMD is the first time in years in CPU comparison again at the upper performance limit represented. In applications, the Ryzen 7 1800X is only ten percent behind the three times as expensive Core i7-6900K. The question, whether one should decide for AMD or Intel, is thus again exciting.

AMD's second hit addressed the much more important middle class. There AMD with the Ryzen 5 with four CPUs went directly to the Core i5 from Intel and could cut in three out of four cases a very good result. This is shown in the recommendation: In the three mentioned areas between 180 and 300 euros, this has changed compared to Intel to AMD! By good availability in the trade, the prices have fallen slightly since April, Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600 have slipped one step further and represented in the next cheaper category. On the Ryzen 5 1600 with its six cores leads at a price of under 210 euros no way past, depending on the offer situation moves the Ryzen 5 1600X with partial only 225 euro but very close,

In the best list you can find specific purchase recommendations in table form for each price range [above].

If the comparison table is not sufficient, the following paragraphs provide further information [below]:

cb-price-performance6vpok.png

Google Translate:

Value for money in detail

Since mid-April and at the beginning of the dull summer business, processor prices are slowly falling again, which is also due to the improved euro-dollar exchange rate, which rose from 1.05 to around 1.13. These increases have now also arrived in the market, depending on the price class, this is the case with almost all processors of AMD and Intel ten or even 20 euros - especially also with the Ryzen 7 processors from AMD, so far all well above the mark of 300 euros acted. A seven percent better course now provides for around 30 Euro discount on the models. Broadwell-E: The flagship Core i7-6950X will drop by 195 euros from 1.725 to 1.530 euros. There, however, is not only the better exchange rate, but also that he will soon be replaced.

The right CPU choice depends not only on the placement in the benchmarks, but also on the price. With Ryzen 7, AMD plays for the first time again in the price performance ranking not only at the lower but also at the upper performance limit, with Ryzen 5 the counterterm in the middle class even more struck - there AMD even takes the scepter. Bottom line, the decision for AMD or Intel is again difficult. The increased Intel AMD competition has not led to a price slump.

Google Translate:

AMD Ryzen 7 presses Intel Core i7 in the performance quartering

The ranking shows clearly: The two fastest CPUs in the benchmarks come from the Intel company, belong to the Core i7 family and have eight or even ten cores based on Broadwell-E. The prices are 1,100 and 1,800 euros respectively. But this face of the end of June sales start of Skylake-X in the trade now still would be wrong. Because these offer more performance and cost significantly less.

Still, it is even more astonishing today which CPUs are on the second and third place: Ryzen 7 ensures movement in the market and with the models 1800X, 1700X and 1700 in the processor comparison is at the top with the top - the prices are 300 Up to 475 euros. From Intel's four-core models with high clock frequencies, only the Core i7-7700K can keep up with hyper-threading - costs about 40 euros more than the Ryzen 7 1700 with eight cores, just under 340 euros.

AMD Ryzen 5 is the new head of the middle class

The Core i5 marks the mainstream division in a large CPU comparison with various models and has since the beginning of April now also competition by Ryzen 5 get. These offer up to six cores and twelve threads at similar prices, where Intel has only four cores / threads. In applications the Core i5 has no chance against Ryzen 5 and also in games can convince AMDs architecture in this price segment. Overall, Ryzen 5 is therefore preferable to the Core i5.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Went to Microcenter and bought what I needed.

Got an ASRock AB350 Pro4 for $80 ($30 after $50 off when buying CPU)
1600x for $230

and EVGA 3000 DDR4 16GB for $95.

I'll have to put it together this weekend. Luckily my Corsair H60 has a bracket I can use.

Toe-Knee

My am4 and bracket for my nepton 240m finally arrived. Let's see how this goes. I've been impressed with the stock cooler so far don't think I will see much improvement.

PCGH (PC Games Hardware) —— CPU Tests 2017: Benchmark Leaderboard - Performance Index for Processors (June) [German]

Google Translate:

Update June 2017: After the performance of the Ryzen processors, including a Ryze-optimized energy system in the Radeon-Crimson driver, as well as a swing of new UEFIs based on AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4 - which simultaneously reduces the memory latencies Several nanoseconds - stabilized at a high level, prices have fallen considerably. The Ryzen flagship R7-1800X has already been priced in at a good price of € 460 ( available from approx. 475 Euro ) - a significant improvement compared to the launch price, which is also compared to the other Ryzen-7 versions. These two, the R7-1700X and the R7-1700 have also fallen in price, though not quite as strong. However, with the R7-1700 just the first (real) eight core processor the 300 euro mark ! By the way: The lower 1700 is identical to the much more expensive 1800X, except for the lower clock, which can be easily adjusted thanks to the free multiplier as with all previous Ryzen CPUs.

Even more recommendable are from the price-performance, however, the six cores of the Ryzen-5 series: The R5-1600X and the (again only lower-clocking) R5-1600 for 225 respectively 210 euros. Especially in the latter one can at the moment still a pretty penny save and the two kernels one misses at least in games only in exceptional cases.

Speaking of overclocking: Ryzen CPUs profit strongly from higher memory act than the AMD officially released DDR4-2400 Dual-Rank / DDR4-2667 single-rank. Within the framework of our tests, it has been shown that the dual-rank construction works at the same clock speed, and at a clock stage less frequently on average. Therefore, we use the supposedly slower DDR4-2400 RAM for our Ryzen tests. If you want to overclock at home, it is more worth the grip to a Ryzen without X and the investment of the saved Euro in brighter memory.

You can find everything else, as well as the complete test of Ryzen 5-1600 and 1400 in the upcoming PCGH print edition 07/2017 from June 7 at the kiosk.

left: Applications & Games
middle: Games only @ 720p (GTX 980Ti)
right: Applications only

pcgh-games-appslcux1.png
pcgh-gamesvhur3.png
pcgh-appsa2u80.png

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
·feist·;239818467 said:
ASRock May/June AGESA 1006 Update - Improved RAM Clocks & Compatibility

These are *not betas,* but ASRock's AGESA 1.0.0.6 official releases

X370 Taichi 1006
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370 Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming 1006
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming/index.asp

Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 1006
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS

Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 1006
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS

X370 Killer SLI/ac 1006
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370 Killer SLIac/index.asp#BIOS

X370 Killer SLI 1006
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370 Killer SLI/index.asp#BIOS

AB350 Pro4 1006
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350 Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

AB350M Pro4 1006
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

The AB350M & AB350M-HDV remain on AGESA 1.0.0.4a, at least for now.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M/index.asp#BIOS
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M-HDV/index.asp#Support

Hell yeah!!! Just bought this motherboard and will build it on sunday

So, why is this considered bad performance?

Daniel Neves [YouTube] —— Zelda BotW 4k UHD - 2160p (Ryzen 1700 @3.9Ghz , GTX 1070, 16GB 3200Mhz) [CEMU 1.8b - Zelda: Breath of the Wild]

Daniel Neves [YouTube] —— Zelda BotW - 1440p (Ryzen 1700 @3.9Ghz , GTX 1070, 16GB 3200Mhz) [CEMU 1.8b - Zelda: Breath of the Wild]

Hell yeah!!! Just bought this motherboard and will build it on sunday
Good luck with the build. Share some of your experiences, when you can.

Toe-Knee

Right a quick update.

The spire cooler was fairly decent with tennis getting to a max of 52c during benchmarking and after gaming sessions /recording sessions

I got my nepton 240m Bracket and installed the cooler. After a horrifying moment where the system would power on at all results are far better than I expected.

Before I had temperatures from 32c-52c

Now i idle at 27c with Max temps so far of 46c and that's with the fans at a fixed speed of 800rpm and an oc to 4ghz.

This chip just keeps surprising me. I'll tinker with the oc a bit more today and see how high I can get it as I can still comfortably use the system for recording with the fans up to 1100rpm which is where I needed it on the stock 4690k to keep temps low without my microphones picking the fans up.

I have the same RAM and a MSI x370 Pro Carbon board with default bios 1.3. I changed my voltage to 1.3 and the timings to 16,16,16,18, 36 and manually clocked my Ryzen 1700 to 3.6. XMP is disabled.

I can get my RAM to 2966 but not 3200. I was going to wait for bios 1.6 before I update (I don't need to update in order do I?)

No, you don't need to update in order, but why are you on bios 1.3? The latest official bios for that board is 1.5 and with that same men I'm on 3200 MHz just using their A-XMP feature profile 2..,..

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
·feist·;240005011 said:
So, why is this considered bad performance?

Daniel Neves [YouTube] —— Zelda BotW 4k UHD - 2160p (Ryzen 1700 @3.9Ghz , GTX 1070, 16GB 3200Mhz) [CEMU 1.8b - Zelda: Breath of the Wild]

Daniel Neves [YouTube] —— Zelda BotW - 1440p (Ryzen 1700 @3.9Ghz , GTX 1070, 16GB 3200Mhz) [CEMU 1.8b - Zelda: Breath of the Wild]

Bought an M2 Adata drive.

Was a pain in the ass to install, but so far the system is running and everything is installed.

Can't wait to test Witcher 3

EDIT: well fuck. System won't boot.

Fuck this crap.

Right a quick update.

[...]
Haven't spent much time on air despite having multiple high-end air coolers, but this is similar to my experience with 360mm and 280mm water. Copper rads, with very slow fans ~400-800rpm make for quiet operation while still maintaining low temps under stress.

How's Dolphin on it?
I think Paragon (maybe?) and some other owners have run Dolphin with experiences posted in this thread.

In benchmarks an i7 7700K will win with higher clocks, for one. In real use I've seen several games running at full speed 30/60fps:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232964811&postcount=2181
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ryzen+dolphin

With increasing implementations of DX12, Vulkan and general multi-threaded PS2/PS3/etc EMUs play into Ryzen's strengths.

Even going by a response such as this one: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232965149&postcount=2182

Ryzen seems to do fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1ld8zJtD4
Though I haven't come across the other 2 titles he mentioned.

From what I recall at launch, Zelda: BotW clearly ran better on i7 7700K, with that CPU having delivered more consistent frame rates during fights and general exploration.

The Zelda links above show a marked improvement for Ryzen performance since launch, with higher and more consistent FPS in that game. Not sure if that's due to CEMU updates, BIOS performance improvements, higher RAM/Fabric speeds or something else.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
·feist·;240005011 said:

Well.. I have EVGA RAM rated for 3000, but I can't get it to boot if I have it set for 2933.

I have to clear the CMOS settings.

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong? Do I need to adjust voltage, etc?

EDIT: I set it for 2667 and that seems to work for the moment.

Well.. I have EVGA RAM rated for 3000, but I can't get it to boot if I have it set for 2933.

I have to clear the CMOS settings.

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong? Do I need to adjust voltage, etc?
Have you first booted into windows at Default/Optimised Settings? If you've already run the latest UEFI update with AGESA 1.0.0.6, re-enter the BIOS and first try to boot changing nothing other than memory. Set XMP/A-XMP/DOCP to whichever profile will boot. One of the first ~2 or so profiles should work, though try each if needed.

If they all fail, return everything to default settings, then manually set your RAM to the 2933 strap (you can try 3000 as well, though start with 2933) and set your timings plus voltage to the high speed settings printed on the RAM kit and packaging.

Note, it's not unusual for RAM training to not pass initially. If manual doesn't work, clear then try either XMP or manual settings again, but DRAM @ ~1.4v, VTT_DDR @ ~.7, SOC @ ~1.1v-1.2v (try 1.15v to begin and adjust from there), DRAM Boot Voltage @ ~1.4v-1.5v.

It's possible you may need to manually adjust ProcODT but leave that for later, if at all.

Ryzen Timing Checker and Thaiphoon Burner would be helpful if you need further details on your kit while tweaking:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239165655&postcount=3036

Additional reference if needed:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238326699&postcount=2923
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234000979&postcount=2589

edit: the voltages above are within safe operating range, though intentionally on the high side for troubleshooting purposes. Naturally, the values should be adjusted down after you have things running as desired, until you find the proper voltage range your specific components require for safe 24/7 stability.

Just a little FYI regarding ram compatibility, the 3200 MHz Corsair LPX worked perfectly fine at 3200 on the new-ish Asus Strix B350-F on a PC I helped build this weekend. Just switched DOCP on and it was all good. Both with the stock BIOS and with the latest beta.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
·feist·;240233184 said:
Have you first booted into windows at Default/Optimised Settings? If you've already run the latest UEFI update with AGESA 1.0.0.6, re-enter the BIOS and first try to boot changing nothing other than memory. Set XMP/A-XMP/DOCP to whichever profile will boot. One of the first ~2 or so profiles should work, though try each if needed.

If they all fail, return everything to default settings, then manually set your RAM to the 2933 strap (you can try 3000 as well, though start with 2933) and set your timings plus voltage to the high speed settings printed on the RAM kit and packaging.

Note, it's not unusual for RAM training to not pass initially. If manual doesn't work, clear then try either XMP or manual settings again, but DRAM @ ~1.4v, VTT_DDR @ ~.7, SOC @ ~1.1v-1.2v (try 1.15v to begin and adjust from there), DRAM Boot Voltage @ ~1.4v-1.5v.

It's possible you may need to manually adjust ProcODT but leave that for later, if at all.

Ryzen Timing Checker and Thaiphoon Burner would be helpful if you need further details on your kit while tweaking:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239165655&postcount=3036

Additional reference if needed:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238326699&postcount=2923
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234000979&postcount=2589

edit: the voltages above are within safe operating range, though intentionally on the high side for troubleshooting purposes. Naturally, the values should be adjusted down after you have things running as desired, until you find the proper voltage range your specific components require for safe 24/7 stability.

Yes, I did the installation and everything had the XMP set to Auto and noticed that the RAM was only running at 2133, which was unacceptable.

I tried to manually set it to 2933 with no other adjustments and it simply wouldn't post. I thought I had bricked the system.

Luckily I was able to clear the CMOS and everything booted. Tried adjusting to 2933 again so I could confirm that was the issue and yes. Clear CMOS again.

Not content, I figured I would try it at 2666 and it works at that speed at the moment.

Here is the exact RAM I have if that helps.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/459741/16GB_2_x_8GB_DDR4-3000_(PC4-24000)_CL15_Desktop_Memory_Kit

I would very much prefer to run it at 2933 (since 3000 isn't an option), but I will settle for 2667 at the time.

pooptest

Quick Update...

Mobo: Asrock X370 Taichi
CPU: 1700X
Memory: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231914

Pre-1.0.0.6 (BIOS 2.30): CPU at 3.9 fine, couldn't surpass 2667 on memory.
Post-1.0.0.6 (BIOS 2.40): CPU at 3.9 fine, can hit 3066 fine but get black screen and need to reset CMOS if I try for 3200.

Maybe with next BIOS revision with memory compatibility updates!

Edit: This is using the default XMP settings: 16-16-16-36-1T

Khaz

Expected in the latter half of the year. Unfortunately, details beyond that are kinda scant.

So I can complain again in July? Damn, the wait for these cheap R3 is annoying. Though I want to pair it with a mini-ITX board, and the offer in that regard is less than stellar anyway. Back to the waiting game.

Datschge

So I can complain again in July? Damn, the wait for these cheap R3 is annoying. Though I want to pair it with a mini-ITX board, and the offer in that regard is less than stellar anyway. Back to the waiting game.
I personally wouldn't be surprised if the truly mass market products were to come last. AMD (respectively GloFo) likely has to build up production capability (aside of establishing the platforms and ecosystems around them) and going for the higher margin and lower volume markets first is sane business practice.

ASRock 2.5 BIOS update on my AB350M Pro 4 is giving me a secure flash update error and doesn't work. 2.4 worked with no issues but there is definitely something wrong with the 2.5 BIOS on their website.

I'll try another source and see if its any better or works.

ASRock 2.5 BIOS update on my AB350M Pro 4 is giving me a secure flash update error and doesn't work. 2.4 worked with no issues but there is definitely something wrong with the 2.5 BIOS on their website.

I'll try another source and see if its any better or works.
If you've tried to flash more than once, or re-downloaded the BIOS (in case of possible corruption) and you're still getting that error that is indeed odd. If so, ASRock needs to have their BIOS team fix that immediately.

Quick Update...

Mobo: Asrock X370 Taichi
CPU: 1700X
Memory: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231914

Pre-1.0.0.6 (BIOS 2.30): CPU at 3.9 fine, couldn't surpass 2667 on memory.
Post-1.0.0.6 (BIOS 2.40): CPU at 3.9 fine, can hit 3066 fine but get black screen and need to reset CMOS if I try for 3200.

Maybe with next BIOS revision with memory compatibility updates!

Edit: This is using the default XMP settings: 16-16-16-36-1T
Black screen (instead of BSOD) may mean a few things, though from my experience on Ryzen it seems you need to make some minor adjustments for full stability.

Retest without a mem. OC and go from there. Unless you have an issue which is different from what I've observed, I believe you should be close and perhaps slight voltage increases may be in order for you to dial in those speeds. Refer to the steps, links and tutorials in my previous post.

Yes, I did the installation and everything had the XMP set to Auto and noticed that the RAM was only running at 2133, which was unacceptable.

I tried to manually set it to 2933 with no other adjustments and it simply wouldn't post. I thought I had bricked the system.

Luckily I was able to clear the CMOS and everything booted. Tried adjusting to 2933 again so I could confirm that was the issue and yes. Clear CMOS again.

Not content, I figured I would try it at 2666 and it works at that speed at the moment.

Here is the exact RAM I have if that helps.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/459741/16GB_2_x_8GB_DDR4-3000_(PC4-24000)_CL15_Desktop_Memory_Kit

I would very much prefer to run it at 2933 (since 3000 isn't an option), but I will settle for 2667 at the time.
Remember, full speed on your RAM is actually on overclock over DDR4 standard speeds.

Clock your RAM adjusting your CPU speeds. Unless I'm mistaken, it appears you may have Hynix dies - so *generally* not as compatible as Samsung dies overall.

To quickly summarise the last post, you'll need to go set aside some free time and go step-by-step to get your RAM running above 2666 (which it should be able to once you're running a 1006-based BIOS).

Clear settings after each of these options:

1. Starting with 100% default BIOS settings (usually called something like "Load Optimised Settings"). Save and exit after "Load Opt Settings" Re-enter BIOS then select each of the available XMP profiles listed in your BIOS, one at a time and try to boot after each selection (fail? then clear re-enter and try booting with next available profile).

2. Try those XMP profiles but change voltage from "Auto" to "Manual" for: DRAM, CPU-SOC, and try the "troubleshoot" voltage range I listed in the post above.

3. Disable XMP, then manually set your RAM speed and timings (2933, timing for your CL15 spec memory are here: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=8GX-D4-3000-MR) DRAM keep DRAM voltage @ around 1.35v and CPU-SOC no higher than 1.2v (1.15v should hopefully be high enough for your testing/troubleshooting)

4. Try full manual settings aain with XMP disabled as in #3 listed above. Instead of using the full specs listed for your exact RAM, try higher/looser timing like 18-20-20-36 or something along those lines.

Generally, as lower priced boards, the B350s will often have fewer BIOS options, PCB layers and less tolerance in terms of overclocking than the X370s. Hope this helps. It may seem cumbersome, but it gets easier as you get the hang for tweaking this platform in specific and tweaks of AMD/Intel in general.

My last post has a lot of helpful links (which lead to further links), with many of them not being overly technical. Even if a tutorial is for an X370 board from a different manufacturer, they tend to have common options that carry over across all Ryzens, or are universal for tweaking tech.

Take some time and see how it goes for you. Of all the links available through my previous post, these two in particular may be helpful for you to go through (remember to try the other links if needed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/05/25/community-update-4-lets-talk-dram

Alienware/Dell will have exclusive rights to sell 16-core Ryzen Threadripper in prebuilt OEM systems for the remainder of 2017. Other OEMs will have access to the so far confirmed 12-core options.

Normal DIY builders will be able to buy 12-core and 16-core parts.

Area-51 AMD Threadrippers launch this July, with Area-51 Core i9 CPUs launching August.

Mega-tasking. All the cool kids are doing it...

Area-51 Threadripper Edition
https://na.alienwarearena.com/products/area-51-threadripper-edition?sf88018303=1
http://www.dell.com/learn/al/en/alc...ble-down-on-high-performance-pc-gaming-and-vr

Our best AMD Ryzen-based desktop, prioritized for megatasking, streaming gamers. The choice platform for gamers who appreciate high performance and high CPU core count. Ideal for applications that run better when more cores are available. If you want to game and run a studio, the Area-51 Threadripper Edition is your best bet.

PC Gamer —— Dell's Alienware will be the only major OEM carrying Threadripper in 2017

PCWorld —— AMD Threadripper grab: Dell's Alienware shuts out other major vendors for 2017

AnandTech —— Alienware Area-51 Threadripper Edition Announced at E3, Available for Order July 27

4Gamer —— [E3 2017] ALIENWARE releases the Ryzen Threadripper model for the Area-51 desktop PC on July 27 and the Core i9 model on August 22 [Japanese]

If you're hoping to buy a pre-built system with an AMD Threadripper processor tucked inside, an Alienware will be the only option among major OEMs. Dell managed to convince AMD to shun competitors such as HP and Lenovo through the remainder of 2017.

"Dell will be the exclusive OEM launch partner to deliver AMD Ryzen Threadripper pre-built systems to market and the high-end 16-core processor will be factory-overclocked across all cores," Dell says.

While Dell and its Alienware division are getting first dibs on Threadripper among bulk OEMs, the exclusive agreement only applies to bulk OEMs, PCWorld reports. Boutique gaming PC vendors will have access to AMD's Threadripper lineup at the same time, as will DIY builders.

Dell's 16-core Threadripper at CES 2017:

edit:

https://twitter.com/Alienware/status/874418381671211008

ALIENWARE @ #E32017‏Verified account @Alienware

16 physical cores. 32 logical cores. The new @AMD #Threadripper CPU is 100% pure CPU wizardry. #E32017

dcko4bkvwaeyew0kwu7j.jpg

https://twitter.com/LisaSu/status/874457779397955585

Lisa Su‏Verified account @LisaSu

.@AzorFrank looks great with the new Area 51 Threadripper Edition. Proud to have @Dell @Alienware as our partner for @AMDRyzen Threadripper.

dckymikuaaeo3pp7yu2h.jpg

https://twitter.com/AMDRyzen/status/874765261257162753

AMD Ryzen‏ @AMDRyzen

.@Alienware Area-51 #Threadripper Edition officially nominated for @pcgamer Best of #E32017!

dcpkreuuqaebhpbv8u2v.jpg

Top Bottom