• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

Vena

No portable and online only were confirmed since the beggining, what I am talking about are those made up concerns like casualized/westernized gameplay, lack of weapons, that imaginay fee that nobody from Capcom ever hinted, etc.

Comments about Capcom only having what they showed on the demo after 4 years of dev time have already appeared, so it's a matter of time anyway.

No, this was actually a possibility (and precedented on console) and when they were asked at E3 (the Silliconera article), they did not say "no". That's their own doing.

PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 340k
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 200k
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 100k
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 27k
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 32k
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 170k
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 750k

Vinnk

Went to just one store this week. Plenty of copies of ARMs but it looked like people were buying them. No Switch systems at all. Since it was already the weekend they were sold out.

But that's just my point. Normal people who have school or a job are not in a position to buy a system. I lucked out and got my pre-order from Amazon during the 10 minutes they were. If I hadn't been lucky then, I am pretty sure I would still not have a system right now.

I can see why the new Pokemon is not for Switch. Very few people in the target demographic for that game can even get a system.

3rd parties should actually be taking advantage of this time to establish some non-kiddie game series on the platform. Most of the systems in Japan at this point are in the hands of adults or teens.

Does anyone have any historical data on the amount of time it takes to increase production in a meaningful way?

Vena

Does anyone have any historical data on the amount of time it takes to increase production in a meaningful way?

This isn't just a production problem, its an industry wide NAND shortage which cannot be solved without either a decrease in demand (won't occur for several more months until the iPhone production slows down post stockpile for launch) or an increase in production facilities for it (which is currently under negotiations in Japan). That said, as we've been trying to track, there's reason to think that supply stream has slightly increased now.

Kandinsky

Well since we didn't get any reports on switch getting to 1m we can rule out any important (50kish) shipment increase for this week, Nintendo please.

Well since we didn't get any reports on switch getting to 1m we can rule out any important (50kish) shipment increase for this week, Nintendo please.

I think if there had been that big of a rise in shipments we would have had more anecdotal evidence pointing towards it. It seems like there was an increase in shipments but not quite that much. I'm thinking around 35K but would love to see more. The question is whether or not this will be a sustained increase leading up to the release of splatoon 2 when the bomb will be dropped.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think this week with the release of ARMS and its possible hw spike will be the first reality check of the Switch Japanese honeymoon we've seen so far
Game will not set the charts on fire and Switch will not peak that much imho

Chauzu

I think this week with the release of ARMS and its possible hw spike will be the first reality check of the Switch Japanese honeymoon we've seen so far

Switch was on a honeymoon phase? What does that even mean?

ggx2ac

Switch was on a honeymoon phase? What does that even mean?

I think they mean like, "The honeymoon was exciting, but now that it's over, marriage is shit."

Apply that to the console launch, "it was exciting, but now the Switch isn't as exciting anymore."

Zedark

I don't get what you're saying. Switch hardware won't prak will only be true if Nintendo didn't ship enough for a good peak. We will see how ARMS did in a few hours, so let's just wait and see on that.

Alrus

There is such a thing as trying too hard to push a narrative you know.

ggx2ac

The Switch is more like in its TV Soap Opera phase.

"Will the Switch ever ship more than 10 million units this financial year?"

Nintendo: Damn you NANNNNNNNDDDDDD!

"OMG, EA is trying to get back in Nintendo's life."

EA: "I want our partnership, to be unprecedented again."

"Square Enix is cosying up with Nintendo, but what are they hiding about DQXI for Switch?"

Square Enix: Look, I can't leave 3DS. She means a lot to me...

All this and more in, 'Switch of our Lives'.

The Switch is more like in its TV Soap Opera phase.

"Will the Switch ever ship more than 10 million units this financial year?"

Nintendo: Damn you NANNNNNNNDDDDDD!

"OMG, EA is trying to get back in Nintendo's life."

EA: "I want our partnership, to be unprecedented again."

"Square Enix is cosying up with Nintendo, but what are they hiding about DQXI for Switch?"

Square Enix: Look, I can't leave 3DS. She means a lot to me...

All this and more in, 'Switch of our Lives'.

not gonna lie I would watch the shit out of this SOAP

Chauzu

I also think that trying to fit narratives into a new IP in a genre that isn't strong in Japan anymore will be hard. Espescially as with decent legs ARMS has a chance to compete for #2 fighter behind Smash.

Vena

I also think that trying to fit narratives into a new IP in a genre that isn't strong in Japan anymore will be hard. Espescially as with decent legs ARMS has a chance to compete for #2 fighter behind Smash.

The genre is such a tire fire that I am unsure what it's competing with...

I do wonder what would happen if Japan continues to be an ever decreasing share of revenue and profits for many players, Nintendo included. Would Nintendo ever start designing for the West more? Zelda is arguably a Western franchise at this point. Same with Metroid. Japanese sales are just icing on the cake.

hiska-kun

Leaks from the blog. He is talking about ARMS.

I am reading Arms 14 - 4 (ten thousands),
So ~100k FW

He is leaking more things (maybe Switch hardware), I'm trying to figure it out.

Terrell

I do wonder what would happen if Japan continues to be an ever decreasing share of revenue and profits for many players, Nintendo included. Would Nintendo ever start designing for the West more? Zelda is arguably a Western franchise at this point. Same with Metroid. Japanese sales are just icing on the cake.

Zelda's redesign was partly to appease the entire global audience, which included Japan. BoTW is on track to be the highest-selling Zelda game in Japan in a VERY long time.

I get that Nintendo is a Japanese company and all and not courting Western tastes is considered apocryphal to some folks on GAF, but in case you haven't noticed, they have a global audience, and I think having titles that can sell in every region of the world is of a higher value and importance to them.

ggx2ac

So ~100k FW

So my smallest estimation long before the testpunch (was announced?) was off by +20k.

noshten

So ~100k FW

Thanks hiska-kun, would be a good opening.

100K would be a good start, hopefully with switch HW continuing to sell well ARMS will end up with long legs.

We've seen Bomberman R and 1 2 Switch have very good legs, I don't think it would be suprising for Arms to pass 400K before the end of the summer holidays. One of the major questions is how popular it would be among younger kids - right now the Switch user-base is mainly older demographic but that will change with the Splatoon 2 launch. I think the accessibility of motion controls and two player local on the go will once again ensure the title is successful. The Switch is simply much better portable device for pushing local multiplayer and Arms, MK8D, Splatoon 2 are all indications of how Nintendo plans to justify the higher price compared to 3DS.

Mmmmm 39... maybe. Can't confirm because it's ambiguous.

That would be close to the baseline of 40K they were maintaining before May

ggx2ac

It looks like New 2DS LL preorders go live today. They are already available on Bic Camera and 7net websites.

"Will the New 2DS LL make a big splash or a big flop?"

New 2DS LL: Why can't I! Be the new guy on the block? *Death Stare towards Switch*

All this and more on, 'Switch of our Lives'.
___

Okay, I'll stop that now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

So ~100k FW

That would be really nice for ARMS - i had hope for a little more in April/May but i also didnt expect the Switch shipments to be this low for up to now. Hope it will have solid legs.

jonno394

100k on less than 1m consoles would be a fantastic start (imo) and not too far away from the Splatoon launch of 144k on 2.3m Wii Us.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yes, but with the release of one supposed-to-be big first party release, doesn't suggest this could become once again a "baseline" at all

If hardware is 40k for ARMS, and it goes back to 20k next week, I'll make a wild guess that Switch hardware for Splatoon 2's release month won't top 200k. (That's like maybe 75k release week, then 30k the next 3 weeks after).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 365,581
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 216,734
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 151,200
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 59,072
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 46,360
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 70,234
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 843,986

If hardware is 40k for ARMS, and it goes back to 20k next week, I'll make a wild guess that Switch hardware for Splatoon 2's release month won't top 200k. (That's like maybe 75k release week, then 30k the next 3 weeks after).

I wonder if they might be able to get 40k then maintain til splat

ggx2ac

I wonder if they might be able to get 40k then maintain til splat

That's only one month away.

So either 40k shipments are maintained and assumedly stay the same even after Splatoon 2 releases.

Or, shipments drop back down to 25k suggesting the shortages are severe and we do not know if Nintendo will recover or be able to ramp up production.

That already sounds bad thinking about it.

Calm Mind

"Will the New 2DS LL make a big splash or a big flop?"

New 2DS LL: Why can't I! Be the new guy on the block? *Death Stare towards Switch*

All this and more on, 'Switch of our Lives'.
___

Okay, I'll stop that now.

NOOOOOO! I was invested in that.

Kiro

So still pretty low for Switch, both in NA and JPN. Let's see if the production can hold at this new benchmark in JPN.

I really wish the Switch could pick up production.

Top Bottom