• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Nozomi x Kimio 32

BmseNUy.png

My thoughts exactly. I'm assuming Nozomi's aim here is reconciliation between the two, or even if it isn't, it'll happen anyway, because they wouldn't have bothered explaining their history together otherwise. Called it about Kimio's feelings, even if he can't be honest with her.

Zweizer

Banned
Nozomi x Kimio ch32

Can't really beat the expert of showing herself off. I wonder if this was part of Komine's plan to somehow mend these two's relationships through a common enemy, or if it's just a convenient side result.

Mob Psycho 100 ch100.7

Sounds like Reigen is their only hope, if even the boss is getting wrecked.

Lain

I've been reading Your Lie in April (got to volume 6) and while the underlying story is nice, the joke violence is ruining it for me. It undermines the serious abuse Kosei went through and the frequency with which it happens gets to the point that I'm not finding it funny but I'm groaning.
It's played as a joke, it's exaggerated violence to make scenes comedic but it's reaching the point where it pisses me off because, if Kosei can keep acting as if nothing is wrong when Kaori beats him up and he's got blood on his face, why should I take seriously his issues with his dead mom?

I've been reading Your Lie in April (got to volume 6) and while the underlying story is nice, the joke violence is ruining it for me. It undermines the serious abuse Kosei went through and the frequency with which it happens gets to the point that I'm not finding it funny but I'm groaning.
It's played as a joke, it's exaggerated violence to make scenes comedic but it's reaching the point where it pisses me off because, if Kosei can keep acting as if nothing is wrong when Kaori beats him up and he's got blood on his face, why should I take seriously his issues with his dead mom?
It's been a while since I read it but wasn't the whole mom thing more psychological than physical?

Besides, he was 8 then and it was his mom, not a friend doing slapstick.

Met My Sister On A Dating Site 10.827

The Mochiverse is clearly the most developed fictional universe since LoTR. I feel that Kana(ta) explicitly having an unattached sister is setting up her involvement in a further story. Something like Met My Sister At A Convention For Sisters Who Want To Meet Their Sisters On A Dating Site.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
New Game 50

bHusmTA.png

*ahem* please don't do that
Yeah, Aoba is a workaholic. If this is a serious manga, she'll be depressed to hell and back by the time this series end

Manga de wakaru fgo
A manga about FGO, that doesn't really teach you anything about the game and more about Gudako as a psychopatic lesbian master who torment her servant.
This one need anime adaptation more than other fate franchise

Zweizer

Banned
Manga de wakaru fgo
A manga about FGO, that doesn't really teach you anything about the game and more about Gudako as a psychopatic lesbian master who torment her servant.
This one need anime adaptation more than other fate franchise

gudakopssl9.gif

Best character of the entire Fate franchise.

Mob Psycho 100.7

I think not even Reigen will be able to stop Mob.

Sheriff Evans Lies 14

That was a great solution by Evans lol.

Golden Kamuy 106

Tsurumi putting all stops to get the Lightning Bandit lol. A freaking gatling gun damn.

Kaguya 74

Crying Hayasaka <3

Lain

It's been a while since I read it but wasn't the whole mom thing more psychological than physical?

Besides, he was 8 then and it was his mom, not a friend doing slapstick.

Mom beat him up with her cane too.
Usually I don't have any issues with slapstick violence but in this case, tone and frequency really do a number on me.

The Other Side of Secret Vol. 2-4

That was... okay, I guess. A whole lot of wasted potential regarding the other world and other groups of hunters though. I guess it did at least wrap up all of it's major plot points though, even if that entire last volume did feel like the kind of info dump that happens when a series gets cancelled though lol.

Also, considering who the artists was, and what the cover illustrations looked like, it wasn't nearly as lewd as I expected
or hoped.

The Little Match Girl 11
Man, the best chapters of this are the best chapters of anything. It's an unusual sentiment for me because neither this nor Tokyo Tower had the kind of endings I usually... appreciate the most. Suzuki Sanami's art has a fantastical storybook vibe to it that makes it perfectly suited for this kind of scenario. I'm rooting for you, temp MC #10.

Monster Musume 53

Kino's brief cameo alone made this a decent chapter, but it was
super
interesting to see the, uh, contributions that some MGs can make to society. Can't say I have any real objection to the organisation's modus operandi, but if they ever get into a confrontation with Smith then I'm siding with her. Purely because she has MON
Manako

Zweizer

Banned
The Little Match Girl ch11

Gyarus are the best~

img000014cnszd.png

It's true though.

Monster Musume ch53

Quite a wide selection of monster girls they have. Hopefully some of them will make further appearances. Honey bees are adorable.

Suu would just have to drink some alcohol and stomp all these fools.

Entering The Bath With My Sister by Mochi Au Lait

Sequel to the well-loved My Sister Found Out That I Draw Yuri Manga. If anything, this proves how much one's creations can influence their entourage. Let's hope the bed is the next stop.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai ch27

It's okay to laugh sometimes.

This thread, but with smut.

Entering the Bath With My Sister (Mochi For Work doujin)

Alright, now I'm unhealthily curious about the author's relationship with any sisters that she may or may not have. Maybe I'll find out more in Met My Sister In The Bath At A Convention For Sisters Who Want To Meet Their Sisters On A Dating Site.

Met My Sister on a Dating Site 10.9999999999999

Sayo stopped being tsun, it's the end of the world. Or more appropriately, the end of this mini-series. The actual end now. No more. Right?

Gyarus are the best~
erDt7nA.png

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kaguya 74
Author dedication to turn this into shoujo parody need to be applaused. I thought i was reading a doujin for a second!

Zweizer

Banned
Reiraku ch5

Since this only lasts one volume, I still have no idea how it'll end, but the last few pages seemed quite ominous.

img000009qos0h.png

Of course Asano would put his own twist on Truck-kun, lol.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch32

Chloe's intervention really saved their neck.

Vote for Meimei, and we'll likely never get another boring arc again!

After finishing with I am a Hero, I've been reading again more manga. I think I've read:

-China Girl, a very bland romance about a guy who happens to fall in love with a restaurant worker
-Junk, which is a hilarious edgy antighero/vigilante comic
-Yaotsukumo, what I usually call 'seinen in quotes', it's one of those shonen with people with katanas and magical powers but with more blood.
-Billionaire Girl, another dull romance, it as the gimmick of the girl being millionaire but gimmick don't save it from being so forgettable
-Midnight Secretary, a smutty shojo with vampires in office, which is exactly as predictable one would imagine
-A Zoo in the Winter, SoL on a comic artist learning to live a different kind of life
-Ichigeki Sachu, about chibi robots killing lots of roached??
-Hanaotoko, SoL/sports of a very different father and son reconnecting their lives.

And from that list the only one worth something were, unsurprisingly, A zoo in the Winter and Hanaotoko; as they are exactly from the two recognized authors, Jiro Taniguchi (The Walking Man, A distant Neighborhood) and Taiyo Matsumto (Ping Pong, No. 5) respectively .

A Zoo in Winter is actually one of the minor works of Taniguchi, but as usual he is well above most author so what for him is a minor work, it's actually realistic story of a designer discovering a new life with a touch of nostalgia that with the usual craftsmanship of the author it engages you more than you would think at first. It only fails a bit (by being too typical) with the trite love story, that feels forced at the end of the manga to finish it.

Hanaotoko left me cold for the first pair of chapters, but Matsumoto's charm opens through, it takes place in the real world but it has that slightly surreal or almost magical realism touch in the vibe of the city and the pace that first feels weird and later it's an endearing point, and helps in pushing the 'feel-good' message of this comic, it's a world without cynicism, and as the main character grow closer and close, you can't avoid have a smile on your face.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One Punch Man (Murata) ch. 120

That game is basically Arc Systems' Hokuto no Ken levels of busted. SeemsGood

Downfall ch. 5

Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't see her again.

You know, with only three chapters left, I'm not even sure how I feel about this as a whole.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 32

51DhjcL.png

I share their joy at the end of this unnecessarily drawn-out contest. And at Chloe's superior dueling talents. And at Meimei's promotion to Boss status. And at Lanka's demotion from main heroine. And at Jin's appreciation for the finer things in life. And etc.

I went through about 8.4 different emotions after reading and then quoting this post. In the end I loathe Seija so much that I'm actually going to wait for it to be released properly before reading it, to get the authentic amanojaku experience. Or at least, I'll wait for as long as my willpower holds out. Also you're now one step closer to enemy status.

Zweizer

Banned
I went through about 8.4 different emotions after reading and then quoting this post. In the end I loathe Seija so much that I'm actually going to wait for it to be released properly before reading it, to get the authentic amanojaku experience. Or at least, I'll wait for as long as my willpower holds out. Also you're now one step closer to enemy status.

kijinseijaandsukunashd6s29.jpg

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
One Punch Man (Murata) Ha! Good prank bro! Also first glimpse at the OPness of Black Sperm.

Nanatsu no Taizai Shit's about to go down! For kind of a really dumb reason, but whatever, I really want to see this fight!

Promised Neverland I did not expect that revelation tbh, but it makes sense, and also holy shit fuck this world.

Beastars The dumb highschool drama is infinitely better than that dumb yakuza drama. In large part because the author can sometimes be really bad/awkward in his framing (but that wasn't present in this chapter). But they can also be really amazing in their framing too.

Attack on Titan I'm not not enjoying this long flashback, but I wonder if we're going to have to go through everything? The placing of this feels a little weird. It also has made me wonder if
that girl ate Reinard in his sleep?[/b] Given the abruptness and detail of this flashback, it makes a little sense.

Euphony

Banned
The Promised Neverland 50

Thought it was a decent chapter. For some reason I'm getting some
Matrix vibes from the manga now after seeing the child factory farms. There's even a splitting of worlds/realities going on.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
A meal with hokusai is all i need 1
From the author of little match girl, come a story about young college student who really2 love food. Her 1st day in tokyo, everything going well, until she realize she can't eat her first meal at home using rice cooker. So, she did what creative poor student do. Make a rice using coke can. And based on the photo on the last page, it seem the author recreate it in real life!?

Yuzumori-san 21.2

Welp, time for Yuzumori to make a sanity check. I'm sure Mimika will be able to explain this clearly and calmly, and there won't be any unfortunate incidents involving knives.

Screaming Lessons 49

Kaede's mom has got it etc. Being NTRed by your mother is usually the kind of subject matter reserved for Zweizer recs. The fate of a temp MC typically becomes apparent quickly in this series, but this might be the first time it's been obvious from the story's opening panel. Well, she's probably one of the most deserving 'victims' for a while, so it's perfectly fine.

OrpnEx3.jpg

Also I reeeaally want to know this.

Zweizer

Banned
One Punch-Man ch79

So that's the boss of the association. I guess the question will be whether Saitama will be there one to kill him or not.

New Game! ch52

New faces, eh? Good opportunity for Aoba to further mature.

These darn French people sure are shameless!

Yuzumori-san ch21.2

This gonna end will.

Zweizer

Banned
A Meal With Hokusai Is All I Need ch1 by Suzuki Sanami

By the author and artist of the publically-acclaimed and nautically-approved The Little Match Girl, a story about Yamada Ayako (nicknamed Bun), a fresh university student moving in her own house in the big city of Tokyo together with Hokusai, which is either a sentient doll, or the manifestation of her more schizophrenic side, it's true. Her main goal however remains eating good food, but alas daily nuisances keep getting in her way, it's true. Good thing however that she's resourceful enough to make do with tools by her disposition, which is an useful skill to have for someone who are living alone (or together with other people), it's true.

Fun enough first chapter, though it might be oddly be too benign contrasted with the author's other works, especially for certain Battleships, it's true.

One Piece poll...ASL in the top 10, all Ive needed in life, Best One Pieces. Oda rules.

Vivi outside of the top 20 is offensive, Alabasta Arc is still on par with some of the best writing in Japanese literature.

jman2050

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san 1-4

So this is what a Takagi who has mastered her dark powers looks like.

This poor child never stood a chance.

upandaway

Dungeon Meshi 36 (caught up)

Things are getting really crazy again. Figures the ninja person overheard the dark arts thing.

But whatever, everyone there have already been dragged in way too deep for their current opinions to matter now. I'd like to see them refuse to rely on the dark arts when it's their only way to survive. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

Top Bottom