• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

So, I've just read Crest Of The Stars a neat little Sci-Fi manga, it only has about nine chapters out, but boy; did it hook me. I mean, I loved everything, from the initial set-up of interplanetary/race conquest and the after-effects of it. To where we are now; with the beginning of a war happening and not-so-subtle space-racism.
What do you expect when the main character has been elevated to a noble position in another race? And, seems to be hitting it off big-time with the princess.
The art's a bit funky, but I feel it works well with all the character and machinery designs. Also,
The two-chapter space battle is pretty awesome, even if it is intercut with a large uncut segment of race/world building. That may or may not have not-so-subtle romance undertones running through it.

Tags; Action, Adventure, Drama, Romance, Sci-fi, Seinen.

Manga Sales Aug 14th - 20th

*1. 407,427 *,407,427 Gin no Saji Vol.14
*2. 317,962 1,139,773 Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.23
*3. 194,680 2,191,794 One Piece Vol.86
*4. 130,689 *,401,261 Dungeon Meshi Vol.5
*5. 113,202 *,113,202 Magi Vol.35
*6. 100,776 *,258,549 Chihayafuru Vol.35
*7. *99,485 *,*99,485 Golden Kamuy Vol.11
*8. *95,371 *,569,663 One Punch-Man Vol.14
*9. *84,831 *,*84,831 Ahiru no Sora Vol.48
10. *83,274 *,594,792 Haikyuu!! Vol.27

11. *80,826 *,*80,826 Akatsuki no Yona Vol.24
12. *74,616 *,*74,616 Days Vol.23
13. *70,702 *,*70,702 Major 2nd Vol.10
14. *56,980 *,146,460 Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san Vol.6
15. *54,386 *,142,481 Dagashi Kashi Vol.8
16. *52,598 *,*52,598 Magi: Sinbad no Bouken Vol.15
17. *44,731 *,105,251 Yume no Shizuku Kin no Torikago Vol.10
18. *42,169 *,*42,169 Enen no Shouboutai Vol.10
19. *39,755 *,111,984 Hataraku Saibou Vol.5
20. *38,952 *,*38,952 Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu Vol.7

21. *34,725 *,475,863 Kimi ni Todoke Vol.29
22. *32,178 *,*83,045 7Seeds Vol.35
23. *31,690 *,482,701 Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii Vol.4
24. *31,481 *,716,223 Tokyo Ghoul:re Vol.12
25. *30,977 *,*30,977 Bakuon!! Vol.10
26. *29,598 *,*81,488 Torikae Baya Vol.12
27. *27,781 *,153,983 Prison School Vol.26
28. *26,495 *,*26,495 Be Blues! Ao ni Nare Vol.28
29. *26,083 *,*26,083 Nobunaga no Chef Vol.19
30. *25,249 *,*25,249 Real Account Vol.16

31. *24,926 *,*24,926 Pumpkin Scissors Vol.21
32. *23,943 *,746,740 Kingdom Vol.47
33. *23,197 *,*23,197 Days Gaiden Vol.2
34. *23,035 *,*23,035 Wakakozake Vol.9
35. *22,293 *,*67,497 Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet Vol.5
36. *21,336 *,123,238 Shin Tennis no Ouji-sama Vol.21
37. *21,296 *,149,552 Black Clover Vol.12
38. *21,114 *,148,561 Bungou Stray Dogs Vol.13
39. *20,276 *,*20,276 Kuro Hakushaku wa Hoshi wo Mederu Vol.9
40. *20,086 *,*20,086 Usogui Vol.47

41. *19,922 *,*19,922 Playball 2 Vol.1
42. *19,451 *,549,100 Detective Conan Vol.93
43. *18,805 *,*18,805 Sakura no Hana no Koucha Ouji Vol.10
44. *18,785 *,*68,325 Break Blade Vol.16
45. *18,694 *,*18,694 Zettai Karen Children Vol.49
46. *18,664 *,*18,664 Shin Kamen Rider Spirits Vol.16
47. *17,915 *,146,865 Manga de Wakaru! Fate/Grand Order
48. *17,672 *,*25,427 Rengoku ni Warau Vol.7
49. *17,065 *,*17,065 Hoshino, Me wo Tsubutte. Vol.7
50. *16,520 *,*16,520 Bakuon Densetsu Kaburagi Vol.19

Someday, We’ll Get There 5

As someone with a limited interest in fighting games, that sure was a lot of info about fighting games. Well, I can appreciate the author taking their subject matter seriously. Still torn on who to root for here, since I'd like her training to pay off, but I'd also prefer the rhythm game route generally.

Man, when I saw this I thought I'd been banned without realising it. I've been eyeing up MagiReco since the webcomic started, but the conclusion I've reached is that I enjoy having money, so I'm not getting dragged down that rabbit hole unless it gets a proper English release. No matter how tempting it is.

qdplrIR.png
PuX30tS.png

NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING IT IS

PK Gaming

My Hero Academia

I haven't been this excited in a long time. Finally, a fight I care about. Against people that matter. With interesting quirks instead of messy bullshit. Hopefully the manga regains its momentum!

One Piece

Oda's a master at blending humor and tense action, and this chapter was the perfect showcasing of that. Pudding's a fun character.

DNAbro

My Hero Academia 150

Holy shit Mirio hype. What an exhilarating chapter. I was ready to accept Mirio getting blown away by Overhaul but now I want him to make it out of this badly.

One Piece 876

"it's not like I like you or anything, baka!"

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
My Hero RIP 8 Precepts, you guys were fucking jobbers until the end.

One Piece Kay, I'm starting to see why people like Pudding. Also, holy shit, are we getting a Brook fight? Against someone that matters? Is this real???

Usobuko

Banned
Sensen Spike Hills

A kid with a unique pickpocket ability get caught up with a Maths prodigy in their plan to steal something from the Yakuza.

It's very nostalgia in the good sense because you have comedic and sentimental moments from those era.

3 troubled kids coming together to pull off a heist.

cLOUDo

My Hero RIP 8 Precepts, you guys were fucking jobbers until the end.

One Piece Kay, I'm starting to see why people like Pudding. Also, holy shit, are we getting a Brook fight? Against someone that matters? Is this real???

Year of Brook indeed.

probably already beaten at the start of the next episode

Manga Sales Aug 14th - 20th

31. *24,926 *,*24,926 Pumpkin Scissors Vol.21

44. *18,785 *,*68,325 Break Blade Vol.16

These make me happy, glad to see some of my favorite series on this list - even if they're not selling anywhere near as well as the main series listed here.

One Piece Ch876: Puddin has to be my favorite addition this arc. Even if she is a walking talking Tsundere Trope.

My Hero Academy Ch150: While I am glad to see Miro getting work done, I do worry. Not so much for his safety, more so for at the moment it feels unlikely for him to fail without it seeming a Failure for Plot Progressions Sake. Though hopefully, the next few chapters will persuade me otherwise. For all remaining bets please see them

Hunter X Hunter Ch369: (Nine weeks since its return) Decent chapter as usual, although I honestly didn't remember Kuripika collapsing, maybe I skimmed it too fast last week. Either way, I'm looking forward to more of this, as all the tension and double-crossing will have to break-out into something even worse at some point. Can't wait.

HiatusXHiatus: Week 9 - Results so far:
So far; barber, Stone Ocean, striferser and FlowerisBritish have been knocked out of the competition, with A.J and nabe_shogun looking like the next likely victims of this brutal & bloody competition

For all remaining bets, please find them here.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The bets for how long this run of HxH will last is more brutal than the actual manga events.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Golden Kamuy ch. 110

I'd be a little more worried for the bears within his vicinity, actually.

My Hero Academia ch. 150

My interest in MHA has been waning this arc, but an Overhaul vs. Mirio fight should (hopefully) deliver and pull me back in. Phantom Menace though? Might just deserve to lose for that one, my dude.

One Piece ch. 876

Goddamn at these tsundere levels on display here.

Someday, We’ll Get There 5

As someone with a limited interest in fighting games, that sure was a lot of info about fighting games. Well, I can appreciate the author taking their subject matter seriously. Still torn on who to root for here, since I'd like her training to pay off, but I'd also prefer the rhythm game route generally.

Man, when I saw this I thought I'd been banned without realising it. I've been eyeing up MagiReco since the webcomic started, but the conclusion I've reached is that I enjoy having money, so I'm not getting dragged down that rabbit hole unless it gets a proper English release. No matter how tempting it is.

NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING IT IS

You are already 🐳

Deadly

One Piece
Pudding going full tsundere now

MHA
Mirio's fight should be interesting. Kinda feels like he's dieing though but I hope not

Shokugeki no Soma
Exhausting your opponents make sense but losing 2 of your top players for it...Not sure if worth. So Momo, Eizan, Saito next? I hope Tadokoro gets an actual win for once.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch876

T S U N D E R E
S
U
N
D
E
R
E

Kingdom ch528

A battle of mountain tribes then.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch169.5, 178.5

Asahi sure has a talent for being there at the worst moments.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch38

The Demon King is (thankfully) pretty resilient.

>The Demon King danced crazy!

Someday, We’ll Get There ch5

Still so many technical terms. Really though, if she's a prodigy, she should just wing it like I do. Ain't got no defense against unpredictability.

Nejimaki Kagyu ch62

There's normal rivalries, and then there's their crazy coordinated competitiveness.

My Hero Academia ch150

Mirio's mastery of his quirk is always a joy to behold. I don't see him beating Overhaul however.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch615

Well, someone got broken alright.

Chase17

Astra 39
Well that puts the first chapter in a new light lol. Good to get Pauline's full story. Kanata looking mean at the end.
Seems like it was setting up that he thinks Aries as the traitor (as expected), but I wouldn't rule out some twist about who it is.

So, I've just read Crest Of The Stars a neat little Sci-Fi manga, it only has about nine chapters out, but boy; did it hook me. I mean, I loved everything, from the initial set-up of interplanetary/race conquest and the after-effects of it. To where we are now; with the beginning of a war happening and not-so-subtle space-racism.
What do you expect when the main character has been elevated to a noble position in another race? And, seems to be hitting it off big-time with the princess.
The art's a bit funky, but I feel it works well with all the character and machinery designs. Also,
The two-chapter space battle is pretty awesome, even if it is intercut with a large uncut segment of race/world building. That may or may not have not-so-subtle romance undertones running through it.

Tags; Action, Adventure, Drama, Romance, Sci-fi, Seinen.

Nice.

Its a novel series consisting of Crest (which is deemed as an introduction story) and Banner of the Stars (the sequel). The former has three novels while the latter has 5 main novels currently.

There was an anime adaption for Crest of the Stars (ymmv of the dub) and its sequels Banner of the Stars 1, Banner of the Stars 2 and an OVA episode for Banner of the Stars 3. Banner of the stars 4 and 5 haven't been adapted.

There is also the official English translated version for the Crest novels but unfortunately those were the only novels that made it (apparently the first Banner 1 novel was in the works but got shelved and then the publisher Tokyopop itself died eventually :/).

If you are interested i would definitely recommend checking out the adaptions also you might be able to find the rest of the novels translated in an unofficial capacity *cough*.

Apologies for the sudden marking out but its one of my favorite series that i would also buy the remaining novels in a heartbeat if it was available. :D

Astra 39
Well that puts the first chapter in a new light lol. Good to get Pauline's full story. Kanata looking mean at the end.
Seems like it was setting up that he thinks Aries as the traitor (as expected), but I wouldn't rule out some twist about who it is.

It'll be a double fake out
He'll go to her not because he suspects her, but because he suspects someone else and needs her help to confirm some piece of evidence. It'll then twist into her saying something that exposes her and Kanata not knowing what to do in the moment

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

Interesting new direction for Pudding.
I'm amazed the "Cake Theory" ended up true. Usually Oda likes to twist expect- it's not going to go well is it?

My Hero Academia

Those two went down like punks. Then again they don't seem suited for combat.
More Star Wars references!

Hunter x Hunter

Damn Tserriednich, you scary
*braces self for next week's possible announcement*

Shokugeki no Soma

A war of attrition huh? I can dig it. Let's see how much growth Tadokoro has really done.

Dr. Stone

Senku too OP, plz nerf
Then again, he is physically weak so he's not TOO OP.

Ai o Kudasai 1 - 5 END

Probably the standard teacher student relationship series that keeps things with the reasonable boundaries for the genre, meaning they do nothing more than kiss until after graduation and even then due to the awkward and surprising kiss theyve done nothing more than that in the months following graduation. Still I liked how the teacher, Kurosawa was definitely going at a pace that Mamoru preferred. The make out scene did feel a bit rushed due to the timing but it was still cute and I liked to how Mamoru was smiling during it. Cute.

2nd story was just an excuse for the writer to draw some r18 content and I wish Itou had actually been involved instead of running from the club.

3rd story was 2nd best as even though there was no r18 content, the fact the student managed to befriend a popular novelist (he didnt know) was actually good. I especially loved the rice balls moments but also the scene when they parted ways. I wish we got more of them.

Good BL manga collection.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 178.5

lol. Why would you do that with your door open.

shokugeki no soma 228

Well, since the next match is going to be the classic first year gang, I'm kinda hoping they all win.

Tomo-chan
This current arc is going places and I'm anxious to see what horrible disaster Misuzu has unleashed.

Aho Girl
Finally got caught up to this, just to see the latest chapter focused all on Dog. The greatest character.

Reading through most of this again and the stuff that's new to me, I'm still kind of amazed at how much mileage this manga gets out of the same series of expressions given to nearly every character, typically in the final panel of a strip.

Love is Hard for Otaku ch.20
Guess it was about time that Nao gets a partner, and an otaku on top of that. Incredibly shy though, but it's nice to see another new face added to the current cast.

Engaged to the Unidentified Vol.8 Ch.1 & 2
A new Mitsumine comes to visit, but alas it was too short lived.
Kids her age really are energetic.

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon ch.48 - 51
Chapters like these really makes you realize how much Tooru's dragon tendencies are played down to show that she's become so adjusted to human society. She's grown a lot.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch.38
Even the Princess isn't so selfish as to help someone else get some good sleep...well, maybe just a tad.

Someday We'll Get There ch.5
I am fortunate enough to have watched FG streams and videos to recognize most of this terminology before it goes into the actual explanation.
Though now I'm kind of wishing that instead of fake-Tekken these girls were playing fake-VF, a game I'm much more comfortable and invested in, even on a casual level. But on the plus side she's clearly improving her play.

Aizo

Banned
Those who don't want to read: I'm looking for reliable Japanese websites that direct readers towards recent, lesser known, recommended manga.

In America, it's easy to find publications and reliable, quality blogs that talk about some of the lesser known great comics. AV Club, i09, and so on do reviews and best of lists, and several yearly awards like the Eisner Awards tend to point readers towards budding talent and wonderful Indie works.

Is there something like this in Japan? ちえぶくろ is obviously lacking. Something like この漫画がすごい, if I recall correctly, is polled, so it acts as more of a popularity contest than anything. That is the complete opposite of what I'm looking for, as it's typically flooded with battle manga and such. Any help?

It's easy enough to find these sort of manga when they get translated and show up in lists or articles for English publications, but I feel that there are tons of amazing things that slip through the cracks due to lack of translation.

My friends in Japan either recommend just going to まんだらけ and asking the clerks or browsing bookstores. I've found a lot by browsing on my own, but I'm not made of money—I can't buy everything.

Examples of sites I like for English language comics:
Gizmodo (i09 is gone, I guess?)
AV Club (sadly, format just changed to crappy kinja)
Good OK Bad

Peco

Those who don't want to read: I'm looking for reliable Japanese websites that direct readers towards recent, lesser known, recommended manga.

In America, it's easy to find publications and reliable, quality blogs that talk about some of the lesser known great comics. AV Club, i09, and so on do reviews and best of lists, and several yearly awards like the Eisner Awards tend to point readers towards budding talent and wonderful Indie works.

Is there something like this in Japan? ちえぶくろ is obviously lacking. Something like この漫画がすごい, if I recall correctly, is polled, so it acts as more of a popularity contest than anything. That is the complete opposite of what I'm looking for, as it's typically flooded with battle manga and such. Any help?

It's easy enough to find these sort of manga when they get translated and show up in lists or articles for English publications, but I feel that there are tons of amazing things that slip through the cracks due to lack of translation.

My friends in Japan either recommend just going to まんだらけ and asking the clerks or browsing bookstores. I've found a lot by browsing on my own, but I'm not made of money—I can't buy everything.

Examples of sites I like for English language comics:
Gizmodo (i09 is gone, I guess?)
AV Club (sadly, format just changed to crappy kinja)
Good OK Bad
Something like this?

DNAbro

Blue Flag Ch 11

rbUr4up.png

Itachi asking Taichi how he feels about same sex relationships and it getting interrupted is the worst.

Nice.

Its a novel series consisting of Crest (which is deemed as an introduction story) and Banner of the Stars (the sequel). The former has three novels while the latter has 5 main novels currently.

There was an anime adaption for Crest of the Stars (ymmv of the dub) and its sequels Banner of the Stars 1, Banner of the Stars 2 and an OVA episode for Banner of the Stars 3. Banner of the stars 4 and 5 haven't been adapted.

There is also the official English translated version for the Crest novels but unfortunately those were the only novels that made it (apparently the first Banner 1 novel was in the works but got shelved and then the publisher Tokyopop itself died eventually :/).

If you are interested i would definitely recommend checking out the adaptions also you might be able to find the rest of the novels translated in an unofficial capacity *cough*.

Apologies for the sudden marking out but its one of my favorite series that i would also buy the remaining novels in a heartbeat if it was available. :D

Oooooh, thanks. I'll have to look out and see if I can do that then.

Numb

Saotome Girl, Hitakakusu

180.jpg

Girl muscles.
1362075317_birdmanthisishowwedohandrub01.gif

Say no more i'm in.

Small town boxer girl like the celeb of the town. Has a crush on some scrub and confesses but they have to hide it so as to not get him murdered by all her fans in town.
She got those stone cold emontionless faces but it's just hiding her shyness. Nothing serious to read and short

Oooooh, thanks. I'll have to look out and see if I can do that then.

Correction: Banner 3 has 2 OVA Episodes and Banner 1 and 2 have manga versions.

Its been a while so it was nice to kinda unleash about this series :D.

iirc one of the reasons the novels haven't been officially translated was due to the difficulty/complexity since the author created a brand new language in which the Abh speak (complete with its own Alphabet). And this language is peppered throughout since that's the language most are apparently are speaking in.

Also in the Crest Novels that was brought over Tokyopop had translators but had to consult with super fans of the series to assist them with decoding the language. They are in the credits.

Saotome Girl, Hitakakusu

180.jpg

Girl muscles.
1362075317_birdmanthisishowwedohandrub01.gif

Say no more i'm in.

Small town boxer girl like the celeb of the town. Has a crush on some scrub and confesses but they have to hide it so as to not get him murdered by all her fans in town.
She got those stone cold emontionless faces but it's just hiding her shyness. Nothing serious to read and short

Funnily i saw this as a recommendation this morning LOL

I'll check it out

Seven Deadly Sins Ch231-232: Oh boy! That was interesting. Gotta love Escanor and Dark-Meliodas.

Beastars Ch47: See, this is what I really enjoy about this manga. Not that the assault on the Lion Gang wasn't fun but I feel it's these slower more, tender moments that the manga excels in. Excited to see where things go from now on, as Juno seems to have a plan and I hope it doesn't end up hurting Legosi.

Numb

Its been a while so it was nice to kinda unleash about this series :D.

iirc one of the reasons the novels haven't been officially translated was due to the difficulty/complexity since the author created a brand new language in which the Abh speak (complete with its own Alphabet). And this language is peppered throughout since that's the language they apparently are speaking in.

Also in the Crest Novels that was brought over Tokyopop had translators but had to consult with super fans of the series to assist them with decoding the language. They are in the credits.

Funnily i saw this as a recommendation this morning LOL

I'll check it out
Short chapters but updates quick
Good balance

It's easy to make these things annoying with awkwardness but since they already confirm their relataionship quick it becomes about taking it to the next level with doing new things.
How to recommend me a manga in 2 words
4n0YX.gif

Short chapters but updates quick
Good balance

It's easy to make these things annoying with awkwardness but since they already confirm their relataionship quick it becomes about taking it to the next level with doing new things.

4n0YX.gif

It sounds like that recent manga some of us were reading with the extremely tall girl and her short BF, with them innocently being together but hiding it (although everyone else could see it as it progressed).

Numb

It sounds like that recent manga some of us were reading with the extremely tall girl and her short BF, with them innocently being together but hiding it (although everyone else could see it as it progressed).

Which manga
Hiyokoi?

It's easy to do these romance ones with one partner being super tall

edit
lol i was thinking reverse with hiyokoi

I Want To Touch You Ch1: A Chinese Webtoon about a girl who hates guys and gets hiccups every time one touches her. Que her sitting next to the new transfer student (who seems to have several rumours surrounding him) and having him touch her when she falls down the stairs. And guess what? No hiccups.

It's all kinda dumb and simple. But hey, sometimes we like dumb and simple, right? right!?

Mayo Mayo Ch1: Apparently it's a story with the same setting as Mayo Chiki! however the main character is now a high school girl who suffers from gynophobia. While using the girl's washroom she accidentally discovers that the popular and handsome butler Subaru Konoe is, in fact, a girl. Now that she knows about Subaru's secret, she must work together with Subaru and her sadistic mistress, Kanade Suzutsuki, to protect Subaru's secret from being discovered.

Except... well... none of the above-mentioned stuff has actually happened, at least not in the way the description said it would. So... I'm confused. Either way, it just seems like some Moe Bullshit. For the most-part, anyway.

Saotome-Senshu, Hitakakusu Ch1-10: Oh boy! Is this appealing/kinda cute. I love its short format and can't wait for more.
I swear I don't have a muscle-girl fetish. I swear! You lot believe me, right? Right!? C'mon!

Top Bottom