• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

Yagami_Sama

I was wondering how this game has sold :

19./00. [NSW] Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack <Azure Striker Gunvolt \ Azure Striker Gunvolt 2> # <ACT> (Inti Creates) {2017.08.31} (¥5.000) - 3.196 / NEW <40-60%>

And this one :

30./14. [NSW] One Piece: Unlimited World Red - Deluxe Edition <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.08.24} (¥4.800) - 2.150 / 5.916 <40-60%> (-43%)

Both Azure Striker games are on 3DS, have been on sale a couple of times, etc. A vast majority of Japanese Switch owners most likely have a 3DS, so if they wanted to play these games, they probably have played them. The port is a nice cashgrab for Inti Creates and the physical edition is a nice collector's item. But of course it wasn't going to sell gangbusters. I'm actually surprised it's sold this much, but maybr I'm a bit too pessimistic :p

Datschge

That makes the Switch more like a PS4 than a 3DS - publishers aren't treating it in the same way.
Switch wishes it were PS4 3rd parties wise. PS4 during its middling hardware and consistently worse software sales already got a lot of PS3 and Vita ports by 3rd parties, and only since around the start of last year PS4 sales actually look more consistently favorable compared to PS3/Vita versions.

LordKano

Switch wishes it were PS4 3rd parties wise. PS4 during its middling hardware and consistently worse software sales already got a lot of PS3 and Vita ports by 3rd parties, and only since around the start of last year PS4 sales actually look more consistently favorable compared to PS3/Vita versions.

Switch has more 3rd party games released/planned in its first year than PS4's first year.

Calm Mind

You must be new here.

Datschge

Switch has more 3rd party games released/planned in its first year than PS4's first year.
Yes, but Switch is getting "special" support like Bomberman (well done), Seiken Densetsu collection (ok, but what about the SD2 3d remake?) to USF2 (uh?) which is what Toadthemushroom is using to compare to typical PS4 3rd party sales, the difference being that they released their usual stuff on the latter (so lotsa ports, which are more slowly showing up on Switch).

You must be new here.
You mean to tell me I pick the wrong times to get a little more vocal? =(

MTC100

Banned
It wasn't me but Bic Camera lotteries made it crystal clear this wouldn't be a 20k week and I doubt there will be a return to so low shipments.

Let's hope so, it seems like the ~20k weeks were when Nintendo held back stock for the bundles. I'm still a bit surprised Monster Hunter didn't do better, thought they would at least launch with 100-150k bundles but they were truly limited as it seems...

Zelda continuing its march. Officially 6 months since its release and it's still in the top 20, which is outstanding.

NoA2 did even worse than I was expecting on all platforms.

Nice week for Switch. MHXX held decently but we'll see how its legs are in the coming weeks. Splatoon 2 still doing great.

DQXI is really cratering at this point, especially compared to previous titles launch aligned. I wonder if Square Enix will show off the Switch version by the end of the year or just ride out the holiday.

Square2015

I divided the bi- & double weeks in half; now the chart is lined up exactly by each week:

Dragon Quest weekly Historical (up to week 6)
Code:
[U]	DQ1	 DQ2	  DQ3	      DQ4       DQ5	 DQ6	    DQ7	       DQ8	  DQ9	     DQ10     DQ11     
[/U]Week 1  ~80,000  ~440,000 ~1,370,000  159,000   684,000	 1,455,000  1,862,065  2,236,881  2,343,440  420,311  2,080,806
Week 2  ~80,000   ?	     ?	       81,000   685,000    449,000  1,072,286    559,524    602,856   70,352    426,189
Week 3	~17,000	  ?	     ?         81,000   477,000    308,000    329,317    200,033    271,206   45,470    188,250
Week 4	~17,000	  ?	   ~181,000    ?	?          134,500    154,797    116,731    172,728   20,616    154,130
Week 5    ?       ?        ~181,000    ?        178,000    134,500     83,918    118,119    106,514   13,616 	 53,251
Week 6    ?	  ?	    ~97,000    ?	178,000     80,154     64,351     95,879    121,139    9,560	 46,709

6 wk tot: ?       ?          ?	       ?	?        2,562,794  3,566,734  3,327,167  3,617,883  579,925  2,949,335
DQ1~3 personal projections (x25) for famitsu's 5 retailer era
Note: DQ1~3 number of days in FW not standardized to 1 or 2 days until DQ4.

DQ11 this week is lowest since the FC era (excluding DQ10).

TGS would be a good time for SE to show DQXI switch given how weak the gane is doing right now weekly. Show a trailer and give a November release date and maybe you can sell another 300k

Kanann

Only DQX got a stage show on TGS (and eating all 2 days), maybe Nintendo direct on late this year or early next year for DQXI Switch.

Do they need a stage show to release a trailer fr the switch port though?

thinking again maybe they do because SE will want to showcase how the game runs on portable mode

Astral Dog

Both Azure Striker games are on 3DS, have been on sale a couple of times, etc. A vast majority of Japanese Switch owners most likely have a 3DS, so if they wanted to play these games, they probably have played them. The port is a nice cashgrab for Inti Creates and the physical edition is a nice collector's item. But of course it wasn't going to sell gangbusters. I'm actually surprised it's sold this much, but maybr I'm a bit too pessimistic :p
Plus they aren't that good tbh

Astral Dog

Yes, but Switch is getting "special" support like Bomberman (well done), Seiken Densetsu collection (ok, but what about the SD2 3d remake?) to USF2 (uh?) which is what Toadthemushroom is using to compare to typical PS4 3rd party sales, the difference being that they released their usual stuff on the latter (so lotsa ports, which are more slowly showing up on Switch).

You mean to tell me I pick the wrong times to get a little more vocal? =(
Switch isn't and never will be(or even tries to be) a PS4, for better or worse, i wish those expectations would die already.

So I decided to do an analysis of 100k+ Physical Switch Software in Japan....Critique me please I am not an expert.

1. 1 2 Switch- Honestly despite it being lower than the casual must haves of the Wii and DS eras, 230k+ is still a respectable number for a game that was critically panned.

2. Breath of the Wild- Continuing to be one of the few Zeldas to have legs. It should reach 700k in the next couple months and help it become one of the best selling Zeldas of the franchise.

3. Super Bomberman R- Honestly thought it would fall off quickly after launch but not was I wrong. 100k+ for what is essentially a AA release that has been under the radar is a great result. Hopefully this leads to more greenlit projects by konami in this manner.

4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe- Its Mario Kart, hiska showed how its outpacing Mario Kart 8 basically weekly and will easily outsell it lifetime. The legs are great for it.

5. ARMS- I am so glad the legs are strong for this game. Seeing it sell 4-6k weekly after being out for over 2 months really sparks confidence that this is a longtime seller for Nintendo. 200k+ for a fighter is amazing in this day and age and.

6. Splatoon 2- Unsurprising it's a phenomenon but it's legs are surreal. Should be able to reach Splatoon's lifetime sales by Mario O's launch.

7. Monster Hunter XX- While it's first week was rather poor I am glad to see that it may show sign of sigh drops and last a while in the chart. Hopefully this proves success and shows Capcom why switch is viable for Monster Hunter.

Aters

TGS would be a good time for SE to show DQXI switch given how weak the gane is doing right now weekly. Show a trailer and give a November release date and maybe you can sell another 300k

I still don't understand why people believe the Switch version of DQXI is ready to go. Like, this is SE we are talking about, don't you think we'd have learned something about it if it's actually close to finish? They announce games with concept arts. And we are talking about a new system half year into the market, why do people believe SE can handle an AAA title on that system so quick? Also unless a game bombed like shit nobody's gonna show a trailer of a port less than two month after launch. DQXI is not pulling DQIX numbers, but it's far from bombing either. Even the drop off was well anticipated by SE, as evidenced by their financial forecast. Why would people assume SE is all panic and rushing the Switch version instead of waiting for a bigger install base and a longer interval for double dippers?

Maybe after that Secret of Mana remake announcement GAF is too panic about Switch 3rd party support they just want a big name to drop as quick as possible whether it makes sense or not. Relax guys. Switch is killing it in Japan and 3rd parties are not dumb, at least not as dumb as you think.

Renna Hazel

I still don't understand why people believe the Switch version of DQXI is ready to go. Like, this is SE we are talking about, don't you think we'd have learned something about it if it's actually close to finish? They announce games with concept arts. And we are talking about a new system half year into the market, why do people believe SE can handle an AAA title on that system so quick? Also unless a game bombed like shit nobody's gonna show a trailer of a port less than two month after launch. DQXI is not pulling DQIX numbers, but it's far from bombing either. Even the drop off was well anticipated by SE, as evidenced by their financial forecast. Why would people assume SE is all panic and rushing the Switch version instead of waiting for a bigger install base and a longer interval for double dippers?

Maybe after that Secret of Mana remake announcement GAF is too panic about Switch 3rd party support they just want a big name to drop as quick as possible whether it makes sense or not. Relax guys. Switch is killing it in Japan and 3rd parties are not dumb, at least not as dumb as you think.

Well Dragon Quest was the very first game announced for Switch. It would make sense that it's deep into development but we haven't heard about it because they wanted to focus on the two versions that were launching first. Not saying this is how it is, but it's a scenario that makes sense.

I feel like releasing the port this year would be the best move to maximize sales especially given how anemic the holiday season is looking for switch less than 3 months away.

And i do think the DQ team is very capable of port the game quickly, this isn't being handled under the FF team bullshit

KtSlime

While I don't think they will show DQXI for Switch at TGS, it is worth mentioning that unlike Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, DQ is managed by competent people.

Aters

While I don't think they will show DQXI for Switch at TGS, it is worth mentioning that unlike Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, DQ is managed by competent people.

So competent that DQIX and DQX were delayed multiple times, including a total retake? The only reason people don't shit on DQ's management is because it's sitting next to two bigger targets.

When was the last time DQ got to be the early bird for a new console? SNES?

KtSlime

So competent that DQIX and DQX were delayed multiple times, including a total retake? The only reason people don't shit on DQ's management is because it's sitting next to two bigger targets.

When was the last time DQ got to be the early bird for a new console? SNES?

10 had no delays, and 9 had delays for obvious reasons *cough* Level 5 *cough*.

It's not that DQ never has delays, they often do, but usually those are delays of only a few months, not half a decade like SE's other franchises.

Super Famicom received a DQ5 the earliest I believe.

Switch has a touch screen?
Won't work well enough for how EO is played. They may as well develop a spiritual successor series with the same team, that focuses way less on the map making aspect. Maybe borrow elements from the Untold games, like a greater focus on story. Call it Eternal Etrian or something.

Aters

10 had no delays, and 9 had delays for obvious reasons *cough* Level 5 *cough*.

It's not that DQ never has delays, they often do, but usually those are delays of only a few months, not half a decade like SE's other franchises.

Super Famicom received a DQ5 the earliest I believe.

So SE intended to release it when wii is dead, another type of mismanagement.

KtSlime

So SE intended to release it when wii is dead, another type of mismanagement.

It was planned for 3 platforms, and no one expected Nintendo to drop the Wii so fast in favor of the Wii U and for the Wii U to totally bomb. Unexpected things can and do happen. It still sold about 650k on the Wii alone, which firmly places at the top of MMO sales on consoles, well above FF14 on PS4/PS3 or FF11 on PS2(Yeah, I know it was a PITA on PS2).

Fisico

I'm not even sure if this is sarcasm or not, jokes every week on every single page is confusing my sarcasm detector at this point.

FTF

I'm not familiar with the two different sources and if this is normal, but how is there such a discrepancy in Switch hardware #s (almost 20k!) and which one is more accurate/correct?

KtSlime

I'm not familiar with the two different sources and if this is normal, but how is there such a discrepancy in Switch hardware #s (almost 20k!) and which one is more accurate/correct?

Neither really, it has to do with their formula and samples. The 'real' numbers are unknown even to the manufacturers.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I feel like releasing the port this year would be the best move to maximize sales especially given how anemic the holiday season is looking for switch less than 3 months away.

And i do think the DQ team is very capable of port the game quickly, this isn't being handled under the FF team bullshit
Let xenoblade 2 take the holiday along with mario, so it can get the recognition it deserves

Aters

It was planned for 3 platforms, and no one expected Nintendo to drop the Wii so fast in favor of the Wii U and for the Wii U to totally bomb. Unexpected things can and do happen. It still sold about 650k on the Wii alone, which firmly places at the top of MMO sales on consoles, well above FF14 on PS4/PS3 or FF11 on PS2(Yeah, I know it was a PITA on PS2).

Such as Switch taking off so fast? I don't think SE saw that coming either. DQX's sale is nothing to brag about. It's Dragon Quest, it could have done much better if Wii was not dead, but then again, DQIX falling behind schedule pushed DQX to such an awkward position.

suicreeps

Is there a total software number for Switch? I would like to know avg software attach rate, specifically before upcoming holidays.

Ōkami

To dispel whatever rumors, how the Revelations games are being sold on Switch in Japan.

The first game is being sold as stand alone retail and digital at 2990 and 2769 yen respectively, Revelations 2 is sold digital only at 2769, 2 is not getting a stand alone release in Japan.

There will be a 2 in 1 pack, it contains a card with the first game and a voucher for a digital copy of the second one, priced at 4990 yen.

So no, there is no retail copy of Revelations 2 for Switch releasing anywhere.

&#332;kami;248149787 said:
To dispel whatever rumors, how the Revelations games are being sold on Switch in Japan.

The first game is being sold as stand alone retail and digital at 2990 and 2769 yen respectively, Revelations 2 is sold digital only at 2769, 2 is not getting a stand alone release in Japan.

There will be a 2 in 1 pack, it contains a card with the first game and a voucher for a digital copy of the second one, priced at 4990 yen.

Curious. Wonder where that rumor came from. I almost thought I read it myself somewhere.

D.Lo

Still pretty dumb/weird. Why a physical of R1 at all if none for R2?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
sales of previous Hot Shots Golf games:

PS1 Hot Shots Golf [All Versions] 117.383 2.018.365 SCE 7/17/1997
PS2 Hot Shots Golf 4 [All Versions] 475.269 1.616.790 SCE 11/27/2003
PS1 Hot Shots Golf 2 [All Versions] 273.260 1.250.362 SCE 7/29/1999
PS2 Hot Shots Golf 3 [All Versions] 272.758 1.226.480 SCE 7/26/2001
PS3 Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds [All Versions] 175.750 714.111 SCE 7/26/2007
PSP Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee [All Versions] 66.079 666.731 SCE 12/12/2004
PSP Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 [All Versions] 85.866 445.453 SCE 12/6/2007
PS3 Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational [All Versions] 86.912 277.768 SCE 11/22/2012
PSV Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational [All Versions] 51.577 180.548 SCE 12/17/2011
PS2 Hot Shots Golf Online 18.326 60.522 SCE 6/12/2003
PSP Hot Shots Golf Jou Vol.1 7.080 25.417 SCE 5/31/2007

We'll see how the legs are, but if anything it goes to show how expectations have been lowered.

Yagami_Sama

That's too bad. I was hoping for a different approach in Japan.
Maybe later they announce a limited / special edition later.

I have no interest in Revelations 1, played a lot on 3DS and on Wii U. So I will pass the retail version.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Feel free to place your bets on 3DS, Switch, mobile, or PS4:

Gematsu said:
Back in August, Sega trademarked ”Narcia's Tears and the Fairy's Flute" (Narushia no Namida to Yousei no Fue) in Japan, which was believed to be the subtitle of the next Popolocrois game currently in development at Epics.

Today, further confirmation Sega is publishing the next Popolocrois game has arrived by way of a Sega-hosted website that has yet to be launched, which is available at popolocrois.sega.jp. Attempting to access this website results in a ”Forbidden" directory page. Replacing ”popolocrois" in the URL with anything else does not achieve the same results.
Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/09/sega-preparing-official-website-unannounced-popolocrois-game

Laplasakos

Thanks for clearing this up.

Feel free to place your bets on 3DS, Switch, mobile, or PS4:

Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/09/sega-preparing-official-website-unannounced-popolocrois-game

Anything except PS4.

Top Bottom