• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

Zolo

It just occurred to me that the muddying of Kyros's gender might actually be significant.

Enough to suggest that his/her lack of a defined gender has a bigger purpose beyond being cheeky. Like, say if we were able to play as Kyros in the early days of the conquest.

YOU ARE KYROS

Moff

just give me more of this glorious game and please not just a bunch of random dungeons with wisp enemies.

Naito

So in 1h30min we will discover something :)

mvPz1h7.png

EDIT: First update being a new patch, Update 1.1.0.0023, that brings New Game+, a respec Trainer and nerfs to certain spell combos (RIP Volcanic Weapon). New announcement soon (DLC).

Naito

New DLC announced: Tyranny – Tales from the Tiers, available now. It is like an "Enhanced Edition" patch.

DCNcbAAXoAIJy-f.jpg:large

New Travel Events: Random encounters while traveling may lead to new quests, or new events focused on companions and new NPCs
Expanded Story: Learn more about the people and places of the Tiers with more than 40 vignettes to encounter on your journey.
New items: Find over a dozen new items and countless new ways to gain loyalty and fear with your companions and the factions of Tyranny.
More Replay Options: A free patch adds New-Game-Plus mode and character re-spec options for an easier way to explore other plotlines.

And the awaited Expansion, Bastard's Wound.

3LRLY0n.jpg

Experience a new chapter of Tyranny, the critically-acclaimed role-playing game (RPG), in Bastard's Wound, a new expansion that builds upon the game's compelling story. Tyranny, an original RPG from Obsidian Entertainment, invites the player to make their mark on a world conquered by evil, and the Bastard's Wound expansion opens up a new area of the Tiers where refugees from the war-torn world have established a haven in secret.

New characters and new stories await players in Bastard's Wound, including a closer look at the world of the Beastmen, the fate of a refugee settlement, and all-new companion quests featuring three of Tyranny's most memorable party members.

Features

A Refuge from Kyros: Players will explore an all-new section of the world, centered around an illegal settlement of those who have fled the devastation of the war. What sentence will you mete out to the stragglers?
Companion Quests: Learn more about the history and personality of Verse, Barik, and Lantry, in new quests and interactions to earn their loyalty or enmity.
Loyalty and Service: Bastard's Wound will arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice-acting, expanded content in the game's third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending. What fate awaits those who remain truly loyal to Kyros?

Naito

Thankfully it's not just Tales from the Tiers.
Looking forward to some more Tyranny.

I share the same feeling: I was only checking the Twitter feed and my reaction was literally "Is this really the DLC we were waiting for…?".
I only realised later, by dipping deeper, that there was a second announcement of an additional DLC coming. Here is the first screenshot from the Steam page:

I hope the Expansion doesn't drop on September-October, because Divinity: Original Sin 2 will consume all my gaming time.

Pixieking

Banned
So is Tales From The Tiers worth the money? The only reviews on Steam are going "Yey, I'm supporting the devs" or "I've just bought it! ZOMG!"

*rolls eyes*

Megasoum

Banned
So I bought Pillars of Eternity at the beginning of the Steam sale as my first CRPG ever.

I'm enjoying it so far for sure (I just got my Keep or whatever how it's called).

Now that I know a bit more about CRPGs and actually understand how they work I went back and looked a bit of Tyranny gameplay and wow...

The game is a lot more recent than PoE so the fact that the graphics are better is obviously understable but there's so many QoL improvements, especially with the UI.

Not that I really have any complaints about PoE's UI per say but man Tyranny is tempting (even if I still have like 100+ hours in PoE left lol).

Unai

So I bought Pillars of Eternity at the beginning of the Steam sale as my first CRPG ever.

I'm enjoying it so far for sure (I just got my Keep or whatever how it's called).

Now that I know a bit more about CRPGs and actually understand how they work I went back and looked a bit of Tyranny gameplay and wow...

The game is a lot more recent than PoE so the fact that the graphics are better is obviously understable but there's so many QoL improvements, especially with the UI.

Not that I really have any complaints about PoE's UI per say but man Tyranny is tempting (even if I still have like 100+ hours in PoE left lol).

Tyranny is pretty short (30 hours or so), so you might want to take that in consideration.

bati

I've played both and while Tyranny does have a little nicer UI and is in general easier to get into (more transparent, smaller party size) I still prefer PoE, it's more consistent and better fleshed out. But if you're serious about CRPGs then check out Baldur's Gate saga while it's still on sale. You can probably skip Siege of Dragonspear but BG1 and BG2 are all time classics.

Megasoum

Banned
Tyranny is pretty short (30 hours or so), so you might want to take that in consideration.

I've played both and while Tyranny does have a little nicer UI and is in general easier to get into (more transparent, smaller party size) I still prefer PoE, it's more consistent and better fleshed out. But if you're serious about CRPGs then check out Baldur's Gate saga while it's still on sale. You can probably skip Siege of Dragonspear but BG1 and BG2 are all time classics.

Yeah, I'm waiting on the next sale for Tyranny (once Paradox has fixed its prices).

I did buy BG2 during the sale so I'll probably give this a try after PoE but man that game is intimidating for someone who never played a CRPG or DnD lol.

MartyStu

So is Tales From The Tiers worth the money? The only reviews on Steam are going "Yey, I'm supporting the devs" or "I've just bought it! ZOMG!"

*rolls eyes*

Eh. Not really.

I got them because I love the game and want more content, but you can do without.

Naito

PC Invasion interviewed the Game Director of Bastard's Wound.
The DLC happens in the second Act of the game. Can't say I am excited by this news :/

PCI: Is that so players who may have already finished Tyranny last year will be able to jump in asap?

MM: We have a New Game Plus mode that was released [for free] alongside the last DLC [Tales from the Tiers]. Our goal with this one is to have a DLC that doesn't require the player to have already beaten the game. If they beat the game already they can go to an old save at Act Two, or just New Game Plus their way to Act Two. Act One isn't very long, so we figured that's the sweet spot to get the most players.

Naito

The devs also stress throughout the interview about the scope of the DLC.
Coupled with the fact that only three party members receive companion quests,
no new major magic sigils will be added and the new content being locked
in Act II, I have a feeling it is going to be… rather contained?

My interest is completely deflated, I had hopes of something meatier.
Looks like it will be also released in September, but next month my focus
will be fully dedicated to D:OS2.

Anno

I think there's also going to be a patch hitting at the same time with some additions to Act 3. So that could kinda help what otherwise might be a limited story pack.

This is unfortunate... Act 2 is by far the meatiest portion of the game, did it really need anything else to add to it?

I'll probably get it anyway, since I've been meaning to replay Tyranny for some time.

Hey all.

Just a quick question. I bought this at release but haven't actually had the chance to play it yet. Is it worth playing now or waiting for the release of the new update with the expanded third act? I hear it just feels rushed otherwise.

Thanks

Naito

Hey all.

Just a quick question. I bought this at release but haven't actually had the chance to play it yet. Is it worth playing now or waiting for the release of the new update with the expanded third act? I hear it just feels rushed otherwise.

Thanks

I would wait for the release of the Bastard's Wound DLC, which has been confirmed it will be during Act II.
With the DLC, there will also be a substantial patch that will "fix" Act III with the possibility to pursue a Loyalist path.

Bastard's Wound was supposed to be released in August, I guess they are targeting September now.
If you are not in a hurry and September isn't already reserved for you, I would wait a little longer so you will be able to fully enjoy it.

Naito

Here is the cinematic trailer introducing the DLC, available on September 7th as mentioned by Anno.
Bastard's Wound will feature:

A Refuge from Kyros:
Players will explore an all-new section of the world, centered around an illegal settlement of those who have fled the devastation of the war. What sentence will you mete out to the refugees?

Companion Quests:
Learn more about Verse, Barik, and Lantry in new quests and interactions to earn their loyalty or enmity. What does Barik truly look like under his armor?

Loyalty and Service:
Bastard's Wound will arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice-acting, expanded content in the game's third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending. What fate awaits those who remain truly loyal to Kyros?

Massicot

"Bastard’s Wound will arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice-acting, expanded content in the game’s third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending. What fate awaits those who remain truly loyal to Kyros?"

so the free update has more voice acting and an extended Act 3? Because Bastard's Wound takes place mostly during Act 2 I thought.

Anno

"Bastard’s Wound will arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice-acting, expanded content in the game’s third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending. What fate awaits those who remain truly loyal to Kyros?"

so the free update has more voice acting and an extended Act 3? Because Bastard's Wound takes place mostly during Act 2 I thought.

Yeah that's what they said back when both of the DLCs were announced.

Also, like all Paradox DLC, you can preorder on their store but not on Steam.

Massicot

Yeah that's what they said back when both of the DLCs were announced.

Also, like all Paradox DLC, you can preorder on their store but not on Steam.

I didn't know the free update was gonna be that substantial

I mean, not that it matters to me because I'm getting the DLC, but neat to see that support.

Sygma

I m not exactly disappointed since the game is all about replaying it anyway. They re just giving a solid good new reason for that. Didn't do a run since NG + is ingame, september it is !

syko de4d

So looks like Tyranny - Bastard's wound is out. Are there some impressions? I really liked the original game. Is there enough new stuff for a new playthrough?

Massicot

So looks like Tyranny - Bastard's wound is out. Are there some impressions? I really liked the original game. Is there enough new stuff for a new playthrough?

I reviewed it for RPG Site. It's...really unremarkable. It might not be the best comparison but I found it analogous to DA:I's Jaws of Hakkon DLC. That is, it's an extra area that takes a few hours to complete, doesn't really elevate the game in any way, plays pretty much just like the rest of the game, and introduces some storylines that are interesting enough but aren't really substantial.

Do you like those OldWalls dungeons with the colored keys and locks and such? The majority of the DLC playtime is just another one of those. Which is not inherently awful but it's just kinda boring and more of the same.

Spacejaws

Yea I'm here for Bastards Wound impressions too. I've heard Tales of the Tiers didn't exactly excite everybody.

They've been working on this for quite awhile though right?

syko de4d

I reviewed it for RPG Site. It's...really unremarkable. It might not be the best comparison but I found it analogous to DA:I's Jaws of Hakkon DLC. That is, it's an extra area that takes a few hours to complete, doesn't really elevate the game in any way, plays pretty much just like the rest of the game, and introduces some storylines that are interesting enough but aren't really substantial.

Do you like those OldWalls dungeons with the colored keys and locks and such? The majority of the DLC playtime is just another one of those. Which is not inherently awful but it's just kinda boring and more of the same.
Thanks for the impression.

but mhh sounds not so amazing. But i think i will get it. Maybe not now but i liked everything about Tyranny. Had a great time with the game.
Are there any problems that would need a patch first? Did you test the new free stuff from the patch or only the new Content from the Addon?

Would it be better to reload a save file I had at the end of Act 2 for the all the new Act 3 stuff or should I just continue off my endgame playthrough right after I
killed The Voices and Graven Ashe?

Mr. Tibbs

RPGSite: 7/10

All together, Bastard's Wound blends in with the rest of the game in a fashion where it's both possible to appreciate how well it is integrated into the core experience but also realize how absolutely unremarkable it is. This DLC pack fleshes out the game but generally just feels unnecessary.

PC World:

Obsidian’s given no real thought to people who already own or completed the game, none of it’s meaty enough to feel meaningful in its own right, and it has no bearing on Tyranny’s larger story.

Of all the RPGs I've played, Tyranny is one of the few that really needed (and deserved) an expansion. Why this tale, though? I have no idea.

Hardcore Gamer: 4/5

Tyranny: Bastard’s Wound is an impressive piece of DLC as it takes the choice-heavy gameplay of Tyranny and seamlessly weaves it into the previously-made choices by the player. Whether or not this content is essential depends on how much someone enjoyed Tyranny and if they want more of it. If it’s a game you’re still playing and want something new added, this content is money well spent. The same can be said if someone was taking a break from Tyranny but wanted an excuse to dust it off and get back into it. This new content won’t convert any naysayers over to Tyranny, but those who appreciated the brilliance of the base game will be pleased to know the additional content is on par with it.

Wccftech: 7.7

Tyranny: Bastard's Wound builds upon the excellent world-building and writing of the main game to offer a compelling side-story filled with engaging characters and twists where players choices matter as much as ever before. With the lack of any significant new mechanic, however, those who expected more than just a new story may be slightly disappointed.

Anno

Yeah I actually went and looked at the pull quotes for White March 1 and it's all very similar. Maybe they're right this time, I dunno, but the reviews were sure wrong previously.

Yeah, I decided to reload a save right at the end of Act 2 and you want to do that if you want to do Barik and Verse's missions, because they didn't activate in my endgame save.

Still haven't done Bastard's Wound proper yet, but if it ends up being mediocre at least the free stuff they added so far is good. I have a good feeling of one big major change that can go down in Act 3 of my playthrough once I get back there again.

Gyoru

I just loaded up a very old endgame save and unlocked the new ending in like 3 minutes. The new Loyalty ending included with today's free update is just a new dialogue choice at the resonator at your Spire. It adds a very short voiced scene then goes into the normal ending slides with your choices.

Obsidian is doing a Q/A right now with some of the voice actors and designers right now
https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian

Top Bottom