• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hajime No Ippo

Holy shit stop dragging this shit on, either kill this man with the new Dempsey or move on. We're over 1000 chapters, enough stall tactics FUCK

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Black Clover up to date: Holy shit. This is good. Super good. I think this latest arc basically lays out why every single fight in this is so good. There's a level of teamwork that you don't often see in shonen. The fights rarely boil down to the hero overcoming impossible odds through guts alone, its usually through a clever combination of people's powers. Again, this is what I wished fairy tail was like. I grew to like the oddball group of Black Bulls way more than any guild in FT, and this manga does a fantastic job of introducing characters, why they're cool, and what their personal problems are without dawdling on dramatic backstories. I am legit shocked there hasn't been a super tragic flashback yet that spanned a whole chapter. Pacing in this is great! FIghts are great! Characters are great! I am shocked I've slept on this for so long.

Black Clover up to date: Holy shit. This is good. Super good. I think this latest arc basically lays out why every single fight in this is so good. There's a level of teamwork that you don't often see in shonen. The fights rarely boil down to the hero overcoming impossible odds through guts alone, its usually through a clever combination of people's powers. Again, this is what I wished fairy tail was like. I grew to like the oddball group of Black Bulls way more than any guild in FT, and this manga does a fantastic job of introducing characters, why they're cool, and what their personal problems are without dawdling on dramatic backstories. I am legit shocked there hasn't been a super tragic flashback yet that spanned a whole chapter. Pacing in this is great! FIghts are great! Characters are great! I am shocked I've slept on this for so long.

It's definitely improved quite a bit from the start at the very least. I'd still personally call it only a step above decent, and Asta is still a boring protagonist and Yuno is one of the most boring, cookie cutter rival characters in shonen

FlowersisBritish

It's definitely improved quite a bit from the start at the very least. I'd still personally call it only a step above decent, and Asta is still a boring protagonist and Yuno is one of the most boring, cookie cutter rival characters in shonen

Take this with a grain of salt (Cause I'm still coming away pretty hyped), but I think that does it a disservice. Black Clover is a lot smarter and a lot more clever in how it tells its story than I think people give it credit for. Yeah Asta isn't the most complex character (none of them are) but he's fun, good-hearted, and doesn't fall into a lot of the cliche's that actually bother me, like the fighting the bad guy one on one and winning through sheer determination. Seriously think about all the pieces happening in arcs and how early they come into play and how they come back in interesting ways. Black Clover is damn good at what it does and what it wants to be is a battle manga, not something with complicated stories but complicated fights.

mdubs

Banned
Asta has the most shonen of shonen catchphrases of all time, it's so bad that it's amazing.

Villian: "Bwahahaha you magicless runt"

Asta "My magic is never giving up!" *wrecks villain*

Amazing.

A.J.

Banned
Take this with a grain of salt (Cause I'm still coming away pretty hyped), but I think that does it a disservice. Black Clover is a lot smarter and a lot more clever in how it tells its story than I think people give it credit for. Yeah Asta isn't the most complex character (none of them are) but he's fun, good-hearted, and doesn't fall into a lot of the cliche's that actually bother me, like the fighting the bad guy one on one and winning through sheer determination. Seriously think about all the pieces happening in arcs and how early they come into play and how they come back in interesting ways. Black Clover is damn good at what it does and what it wants to be is a battle manga, not something with complicated stories but complicated fights.

I mean, I've seen interviews with the writer and I think people are giving him way too much credit as it currently stands. This is the guy who wrote a story arc that was hard to understand if you didn't buy the Light Novel.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Asta has the most shonen of shonen catchphrases of all time, it's so bad that it's amazing.

Villian: "Bwahahaha you magicless runt"

Asta "My magic is never giving up!" *wrecks villain*

Amazing.

I mean, I've seen interviews with the writer and I think people are giving him way too much credit as it currently stands. This is the guy who wrote a story arc that was hard to understand if you didn't buy the Light Novel.

True on both these counts.
Black Clover isn't smart, it's generic in every way. The anime will be generic.
I don't know what people see in it. It's Naruto with Wizards.
There is nothing smart.

FlowersisBritish

Ahhhh that explains those characters that suddenly show up! I thought that was really weird.

zroid

Banned
I've read the first 6 volumes of Black Clover and it really felt like a slog... I've had vols 7 and 8 sitting on the coffee table for several weeks (borrowed from the library) and haven't had the motivation to pick them up yet. It would be nice if it got better.

we never learn 31

Of course he runs into the new girl while he's there. I don't think she'll become a main character though since she's not even in high school.

DeathPeak

Sorry to barge in, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there are ever good deals on digital manga on Amazon similar to the Marvel digital comic sale? There are a couple of books I've thinking about getting into.

THE AXES WILL BE FALLING NEXT WEEK!

Weekly Shonen Jump #44
Black Clover (Cover, Lead CP)
1. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
2. One Piece
3. Dr. Stone
4. The Promised Neverland
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. We Never Learn
7. Robot x Laserbeam
Mahou Shonen X (CP, GFC Entry #5)
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san (CP)
9. My Hero Academia
10. Hinomaru Zumou
Haikyu!! (CP)
11. Gintama
12. Spring Weapon No.01
13. Shudan!
14. Cross Account
15. Hungry Marie
Isobe Isobee Monogatari ~Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo~

Weekly Shonen Jump #45
Cover, Lead CP: Tomatoypoo no Lycopene (New Series by Kouji Ohiishi, either a newcomer or they mistranslated OOISHI Kouji's name who did Inumarudashi and Maison du Penguin)
CP: Hinomaru Zumou, We Never Learn, Dr. Stone

Weekly Shonen Jump #46
Cover, Lead CP: Fulldrive (New Series by Genki Ono, Newcomer with a previous oneshot in Jump Next)

Weekly Shonen Jump #47
Cover, Lead CP: Goldem Hearts (New Series by Gen Osuka, Newcomer who did a Oneshot for this series prior)

casiopao

There is nothing smart.

Lol. Naruto dream of having MC more likeable like Asta lol.

Even the waifu from Naruto is trash compared to BC waifus. The waifu from BC had shown their power and potential vs what we see from Naruto series even till the end of first big arc lol.

Edit: Kaiji One poker hen 182-183

Damnnn even the red is going in now. Is it bluff or King?0_0 Thats the big question.

rrvv

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumeishitemita 8

twBTh4v.png

:thinking:

Kaguya 80

:dead:

You know what's the most interesting thing about the new Kaguya-sama chapter?

The title.

I feel like there is misunderstading for Ishigami to send that letter

There is nothing smart.

I wouldn't say there is NOTHING smart. Very much like World Trigger when the series begins really pushing the team fighting and the characters mixing their magics together to beat bad guys some clever stuff comes from it. I'm not saying its amazing or subversive, just that the series is far above what FT quiciky devolved into.

I've read the first 6 volumes of Black Clover and it really felt like a slog... I've had vols 7 and 8 sitting on the coffee table for several weeks (borrowed from the library) and haven't had the motivation to pick them up yet. It would be nice if it got better.

FWIW volume 8-9 covers the sea temple arc which is when the stuff I mentioned above comes into the fold so it does get better imo.

Weekly Shonen Jump #44
2. One Piece
3. Dr. Stone
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. We Never Learn
7. Robot x Laserbeam
9. My Hero Academia
10. Hinomaru Zumou
Haikyu!! (CP)
11. Gintama
12. Spring Weapon No.01
13. Shudan!
14. Cross Account
15. Hungry Marie

Weekly Shonen Jump #45
Cover, Lead CP: Tomatoypoo no Lycopene (New Series by Kouji Ohiishi, either a newcomer or they mistranslated OOISHI Kouji's name who did Inumarudashi and Maison du Penguin)

Weekly Shonen Jump #46
Cover, Lead CP: Fulldrive (New Series by Genki Ono, Newcomer with a previous oneshot in Jump Next)

Weekly Shonen Jump #47
Cover, Lead CP: Goldem Hearts (New Series by Gen Osuka, Newcomer who did a Oneshot for this series prior)

Rip cross account, shudan, and hungry marie. Maybe HM survives and spring weapon 01 dies hard to say.

Golem Hearts (One Shot)

This is a really strong one shot that I can see having a lot of potential as a full Jump series. The story is set in a world full of golems who serve people. Our main character Noah comes to a closed off island run by a dictator and using his magical powers to heal golems he helps to free the island from the dictator. The main character feels like a mix of Allan Walker and Meliodas while the villain seems to be grown from the one piece tree of scummy arc villains. The art was really well done and the action was compelling if brief. If the full series has the amount of charm I can see it doing well in Jump.

A.J.

Banned
I wouldn't say there is NOTHING smart. Very much like World Trigger when the series begins really pushing the team fighting and the characters mixing their magics together to beat bad guys some clever stuff comes from it. I'm not saying its amazing or subversive, just that the series is far above what FT quiciky devolved into.

BC wishes it would reach the level of strategy and teamwork that WT has. Ashihara actually reads books on military strategy and constantly states the importance of positioning.

dramatis

August 2017 Recommendation: Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou (51 Ways to Save Her)

Seinen romance disaster drama | 5 volumes, Completed work, Licensed (in French, Chinese, and Italian)
February 23rd, 20XX.
Looking for a job in the famous TV station at Odaiba, college senior Jin Mishima attended the recruitment orientation. Not far away from the station, Nanako Okano, a gothic lolita trying to attend a concert, found out that her friends tricked her about the concert ticket because of jealousy. The two bumped into each other and "reunited" -- they were junior high classmates -- moments before an earthquake of Richter Scale 8.1 turned the island (the entire city, in fact) into ruins. (source)
Mockingbird: Recommended for those looking for a survival/disaster story with a splash of romance between the characters.

Note: Be advised this a graphic manga.

Weekly Shonen Jump #44
2. One Piece
3. Dr. Stone
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. We Never Learn
7. Robot x Laserbeam
9. My Hero Academia
10. Hinomaru Zumou
Haikyu!! (CP)
11. Gintama
12. Spring Weapon No.01
13. Shudan!
14. Cross Account
15. Hungry Marie

Weekly Shonen Jump #45

Weekly Shonen Jump #46

Weekly Shonen Jump #47

I think Shuudan is safe.

And finally Food Wars gets some warm reception.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Happiness ch. 32

Those white hoods. The blood for the blood god declaration. Even that creepy ass painting. I think it might be time to cut your losses, girl.

Wonder which one emerges more fucked up, Okazaki or Yuki.

Zweizer

Banned
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun ch89

Chiyo missing another opportunity yet again. Their shoujo sickness has even managed to infect some bystanders this time.

Danberu nan kiro moteru? ch29-30

Aw yeah, the best idols getting another chance to shine! Hopefully this convinces the director to give them the spotlight they deserve.

Also, it's nice that more teachers are joining the gym. More adults is always fun. Can't wait to see their next idol squad line-up.

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumeishitemita. ch7.5-8

Science once again proving the superior method of romance!

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch650

Glass half empty glass half full.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kaguya wants to be confessed to, but it never happens, so we can assume she's destined to be forever alone, correct?

duckroll

Haven't kept up with Silver Spoon news for a year now. I see they finally shat out a new volume in August. What's happening with the serialization? Is she in a better position to continue? T_T

Sandfox

Haven't kept up with Silver Spoon news for a year now. I see they finally shat out a new volume in August. What's happening with the serialization? Is she in a better position to continue? T_T

Basically:
-The manga returned from a 8 month hiatus in January 2016
-Went back on hiatus a month later
-Came back in august 2016 only to go on hiatus again a month later
-Came back July 2017 only to get three chapters before going back on hiatus

Things sounded hopeful when she started up this last time, but clearly it wasn't the case.

Nohar

Kakegurui 45 :
An interesting game, to be sure. I wonder how this one will play out.

Manyuda is a player, but from what we saw, he is completely broken (like, infuriatingly so). Sumeragi can't stand it. It is obvious she has mixed feelings towards him: she holds a grudge against him for how he belittled her and discarded her once she was no longer useful, but on the other hand it is obvious she still like him nonetheless, in a Tsundere way.
If he is acting, he does a very good job at it. In any case, despite his miscalculations in his previous plans, he still has a great mind, and I believe he will be able to turn the next game on its head.

Let's hope there won't be crazy violent/poisonous/whatever shenanigans this time. I like this manga better when it is all bluffing and clever manipulations. I kinda like the cast too: instead of becoming one-note "monster of the week", they come back and are expanded, with slightly more complex relationships than what you would expect. Now, it isn't the manga of the century, but it remains quite enjoyable to read (also, those insane faces are a sight to behold).

Zweizer

Banned
Getenrou has some messed up moments, but the story with the woman, who smashed robots, had a predictable plot twist.

It's still one of my favorite short stories. The way everything pieces together is amazing, especially considering the variety of genres/moods it manages to go through.

It's still one of my favorite short stories. The way everything pieces together is amazing, especially considering the variety of genres/moods it manages to go through.

I also enjoyed the story, but you have to admit the reveal was painfully obvious.
A person who has an intense animus towards synthetics is revealed to be one themselves.

Zweizer

Banned
I also enjoyed the story, but you have to admit the reveal was painfully obvious.
A person who has an intense animus towards synthetics is revealed to be one themselves.

Eh, it was well-executed, even if it's a classical trope, so that didn't particularily hamper my enjoyment of it.

Kyuur

Why does thr author keep announcing in big bold letters the MC has no idea what's going on guys!!!!!! After each chapter

It's not are fault you've abused a trope to such a ridiculous degree that readers expect a trope you've used again and again and again.

I thought the way he used in this chapter was kinda neat and meta.

Boogiepop

I'm still holding out hope that Hungry Marie somehow squeaks past this round of cancellations... And also still confused/slightly grumpy at We Never Learn and freaking Robot x Laserbeam somehow hanging on well and being semi-popular, despite having like no interesting/redeeming qualities to them far as I can tell. But they seem to be doing well enough that I'll be stuck with them for a good long while yet, while poor HM just flat out dies. :(

Just out of curiosity, what chapter is Hungry Marie up to, for if it's going to get forced into ending with this batch? (Since I stick to importing volumes, I'm not generally up to date on... pretty much anything not in US Jump). Like, did it make it far enough that it'll at least hit three volumes, or will it be the mere two of abject failure?

Chase17

Just out of curiosity, what chapter is Hungry Marie up to, for if it's going to get forced into ending with this batch? (Since I stick to importing volumes, I'm not generally up to date on... pretty much anything not in US Jump). Like, did it make it far enough that it'll at least hit three volumes, or will it be the mere two of abject failure?

This week's issue should put it at 29 chapters. So enough for 3 volumes.

Dr Stone already has two volumes released. WNL is about to release its 3rd and RxL its second. HM started before Stone/Robot so I'm not sure why there hasn't been a 2nd volume released yet. Maybe they will release 2 and 3 together after the series gets axed.

jitsu wa watashi wa 188

well. Now that sure is bold of Asahi.

Though I wonder how this situation is going to end now that everyone saw everything.

I'm still holding out hope that Hungry Marie somehow squeaks past this round of cancellations... And also still confused/slightly grumpy at We Never Learn and freaking Robot x Laserbeam somehow hanging on well and being semi-popular, despite having like no interesting/redeeming qualities to them far as I can tell. But they seem to be doing well enough that I'll be stuck with them for a good long while yet, while poor HM just flat out dies. :(

Unfortunately is probably gone. I assume 3 volumes since it will be over 20 chapters and volume 2 comes out like next week I think.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari 264

hycvw22.jpg

Friendship between ______ is ______. I know there's a gap of like 40 chapters here, but I'd rather skip straight to the good part. Especially if it's heading in this direction (spoilers: it isn't).

Top Bottom