• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 40, 2017 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

01./01. (010./005.) [PS4] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
02./00. (011./000.) [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions <RPG> (Nintendo)
03./05. (013./018.) [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
04./03. (018./015.) [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./09. (023./035.) [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
06./02. (028./008.) [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
07./07. (033./024.) [NSW] Pokkén Tournament DX <FTG> (Pokémon Co.)
08./04. (048./017.) [NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
09./08. (052./025.) [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
10./00. (065./000.) [PS4] Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft)
11./00. (067./000.) [PS4] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen <ACT> (Capcom)
12./17. (083./098.) [NSW] ARMS <FTG> (Nintendo)
13./12. (084./050.) [PS4] Everybody's Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
14./00. (086./000.) [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
15./14. (095./069.) [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
16./06. (109./020.) [PS4] FIFA 18 (Ronaldo Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
17./11. (114./041.) [PS4] Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition <RPG> (Bethesda)
18./21. (115./113.) [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
19./16. (131./076.) [PS4] FIFA 18 (PlayStation 4 FIFA 18 Pack) <BUN> (Sony Interactive)
20./10. (138./038.) [3DS] Fire Emblem Warriors <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 40, 2017 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

01./02. (001./003.) [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./01. (002./001.) [PS4] Monster Hunter: World <ACT> (Capcom)
03./04. (004./010.) [PS4] Gran Turismo: Sport <RCE> (Sony Interactive)
04./03. (005./009.) [3DS] Pokémon Ultra Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
05./05. (007./011.) [3DS] Pokémon Ultra Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
06./07. (015./019.) [PS4] Itadaki Street: DQ and FF 30th Anniversary <PZL> (Square Enix)
07./08. (016./021.) [PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami 2 (Kiwami Limited Edtition) <ACT> (Sega)
08./09. (017./022.) [PS4] City Shrouded in Shadow <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
09./17. (025./056.) [3DS] PriPara Idol Time: Yume All-Star Live! <ACT> (Takara Tommy)
10./13. (032./031.) [PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami 2 <ACT> (Sega)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Vena

Bravely cost $10 less than Lost Sphear does and that game was either high end or at least upper mid-tier by 3DS standards.

If Octopath is $60 I think it will actually not sell nearly as well as Bravely Default did.

I think Octopath has the same sort of general buzz/public awareness (largely thanks to the deliberate positioning in the Direct and the demo immediately after) as Bravely did, and it probably doesn't hurt that a lot of people think "from the Bravely team*".

Do you think the 40 -> 60$ pricetag would harm it that much with similar buzz even if it reviews as well or better? (I don't disagree, just curious on the view here. It will definitely hurt it in those who may be quicker to jump in for 20$-less but is that that many people? I wonder if there is a way to quantify.)

*with a budget and marketing

horuhe

Where has fire emblem warriors gone?

I think it's just COMG! being COMG!. Don't know for TSUTAYA (we will know it in minutes) but Rakuten seems not having that problem.

Just noticed this, it probably doesn't mean much.

Game Boy Mini incoming... just wait!

----------

Rakuten is pointing something interesting. For some reason, even though the hardware just decreased as expected for this week, software did the opposite.

Rakuten Switch Stock

01./01. (008./004.) [NSW] Neon <H-W> (Nintendo)
02./02. (128./006.) [NSW] Gray <H-W> (Nintendo) (almost gone, so no shipment for this SKU)

Even Xenoverse 2, that went out stock last week and didn't appear on charts, just came back. So, we can expect increases on Switch software.
By the way, were on road to one of the worst weeks of the year. Everything is low, and pre-orders are in higher positions.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Octopath has the same sort of general buzz/public awareness (largely thanks to the deliberate positioning in the Direct and the demo immediately after) as Bravely did, and it probably doesn't hurt that a lot of people think "from the Bravely team*".

Do you think the 40 -> 60$ pricetag would harm it that much with similar buzz even if it reviews as well or better? (I don't disagree, just curious on the view here. It will definitely hurt it in those who may be quicker to jump in for 20$-less but is that that many people? I wonder if there is a way to quantify.)

*with a budget and marketing
Yes honestly. Even in statements from NPD, we've seen products that have historically failed at $60 do much, much better at $40, and games that underwhelmed at $60 show very strong recoveries when they got price cut to $30-$40.

It's not even about "Is the game worth it?" It's that so many people start looking at the game and going "They're charging me the same as Red Dead Redemption 2 for this."

This is also why every game is a gigantic open world title or a multiple game now, while 8-12 hours $60 singleplayer games are basically extinct, because they have to deliver astronomical "perceived value" in order to sell at $60.

duckroll

Tbh, the Tokyo RPG Factory initiative is one I want to be excited about but at the end of the day I remain unconvinced about (purchasing) Setsuna and I'm guessing I'll have the same issue with Lost Sphear.

I want Square to re-invest in old school JRPG and for them to put out good content. I don't care about high end production values, but I want inspired gameplay, characters, settings, and scenarios.

I'm really excited about Octopath, so that's good movement from them after Bravely left me cold on an aesthetic/character/story/world level.

Tokyo RPG Factory though...again I just want to be excited but am not.

Tokyo RPG Factory is a sham. They started the studio with the intent of making oldschool JRPGs for old fans. What they ended up doing was assembling an inexperienced studio developing RPGMaker-like titles which aren't appealing to anybody. The problem is not production values or the sale price of the titles. The problem is that they are making games which have no real selling point or unique selling points.

SaGa Scarlet Grace is a cheapass game that seems to be coded by interns who just learned Unity. It has no voice acting. It has no dungeon or town maps, there are limited assets, and the entire structure of the game is a mix of text adventure and intense battles. It was sold at full premium price despite being a Vita title. Yet that was one of my favorite games from last year.

Aters

It's really dumb that every game needs to be $60. Why not make it like Japan? A console game may range from 5000 to 9000 yen in Japan.

Vena

El Capitan Todd needs to return to usher in more 40$ titles with some good meat to them.

El Capitan Todd Dos: El Contenido Masivo

Yes honestly. Even in statements from NPD, we've seen products that have historically failed at $60 do much, much better at $40, and games that underwhelmed at $60 show very strong recoveries when they got price cut to $30-$40.

It's not even about "Is the game worth it?" It's that so many people start looking at the game and going "They're charging me the same as Red Dead Redemption 2 for this."

This is also why every game is a gigantic open world title or a multiple game now, while 8-12 hours $60 singleplayer games are basically extinct, because they have to deliver astronomical "perceived value" in order to sell at $60.

This sounds like good reasoning. That said, my impression of Octopath is "gigantic open world" (much more so than the segmented, story limited world of BD at least based on the demo, which reminds me more of a 2D Skyrim than BD in world design) just that the graphics are pixel-sprites rather than the RDR2/AAA-style or Link running around in his underwear. So at least from a content point of view, the game could likely leverage a content angle. (Though it will obviously not have much if any online functionality or multiplayer.)

I have my doubts that this game will be small enough to not get hit with the early-on plague of cart prices (making 40$ probably untenable without either Nintendo or SE eating an unwanted loss), but what do you think of a 50$ option in this case? XV2 in NA launched at 50$ (and with various discount options ended up 40$. I know I got it for 32$USD). That said, though, IAS launched at 40$.

... which reminds me, why did LSphear launch at full price? Why the sudden jump from IAS, or did IAS also launch at full-price and I have forgotten...? Let me go check the archive! (will edit...)

duckroll

LS isn't exactly "full price" though. Full price console games are 6800yen and up these days. LS is 5800yen. There's no more Vita version, so it's not a portable tier release this time.

In comparison, LS is still cheaper than Scarlet Grace, which was 6800yen on the Vita. :p

MoonFrog

Yeah, that's the thing. I think that if their intended audience is indeed core fans of the genre, particularly of the old days of the genre, that quality is of central importance to selling the game to said audience. Give them a quality experience within the genre. This is what they want: they've experienced it and they want to experience it again.

To sell me a TRF game, they need to convince me they've upped their game. They need to make a game that sells itself me in its showings and/or has positive word of mouth.

You can do that on a modest budget. You can do that "over-priced."

But perhaps I'm over-generalizing my own attitudes :p.

ggx2ac

I am here to make an unfair comparison.

DLqrMoYUEAAQNBm.jpg

Yeah, that's the thing. I think that if their intended audience is indeed core fans of the genre, particularly of the old days of the genre, that quality is of central importance to selling the game to said audience. Give them a quality experience within the genre. This is what they want: they've experienced it and they want to experience it again.

To sell me a TRF game, they need to convince me they've upped their game. They need to make a game that sells itself me in its showings and/or has positive word of mouth.

You can do that on a modest budget. You can do that "over-priced."

But perhaps I'm over-generalizing my own attitudes :p.
I really don't get the hate for Tokyo RPG Factory and I Am Setsuna. It's a decent, fun RPG made on a budget. Sure, it isn't graphically impressive, but I liked the unified aesthetic, and the music was beautiful. It doesn't have a great or original story, and it pretty much just lifts the battle system from Chrono Trigger, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's fun to play. Anyone expecting a 'modern classic' from Setsuna was kidding themselves, it never looked like that and the team is obviously fairly inexperienced. It's still better than a lot of JRPGs released on Vita.

ComG! sales (Oct 02 - Oct 08):

257537d8.jpg

[3DS] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - 62
[PS4] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - 27
[3DS] Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - 21 (RETURN)
[PS4] Sniper Ghost Warriors 3 - 18
[SWI] Splatoon 2 - 14 (-13)
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 14 (-3)
[SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 13 (+1)
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo - 11 (RETURN)
[PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - 10 (-97)
[SWI] Pokken Tournament DX - 9 (-10)
[PS4] Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition - 9 (=)
[PSV] Tokyo Clanpool - 8
[PSV] Tokyo Clanpool (Limited Edition) - 8
[PS4] FIFA 18 - 8 (-52)
[PS4] Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain - 7 (not in the top 20 for the launch week, "first time")
[PS4] Genkai Tokki: Castle Panzers - 6 (-25)
[SWI] 1-2-Switch - 6 (RETURN)
[SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 6 (RETURN)
[SWI] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch - 6 (RETURN)
[3DS] Hey! Pikmin - 6 (RETURN)

Thanks &#332;kami
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251378378&postcount=1435

PS4: 7 (=)
NEW: 2
RETURN: 0
OUT: 3
"FIRST TIME": 1
SWI: 6 (-3)
NEW: 0
RETURN: 3
OUT: 6
3DS: 5 (+1)
NEW: 1
RETURN: 3
OUT: 3
PSVITA: 2 (+2)
NEW: 2
RETURN: 0
OUT: 0

OUT

[SWI] Fire Emblem Warriors - 48
[PS4] Sen no Kiseki 3 (Kiseki Box) - 38
[3DS] Fire Emblem Warriors - 19
[PS4] Genkai Tokki: Castle Panzers (Limited Edition) - 16
[PS4] FIFA 18 (Ronaldo Edition) - 15
[SWI] Monster Hunter XX: Nintendo Switch Ver. - 13 (+4)
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 11 (+4)
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers - 11 (+2)
[SWI] FIFA 18 - 10
[SWI] Fire Emblem Warriors (Premium Box) - 9
[SWI] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package - 8 (-12)
[SWI] Arms - 8 (RETURN)

Last week, ComG! sales (Sep 25 - Oct 01)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250622438&postcount=1161

Nairume

Banned
I really don't get the hate for Tokyo RPG Factory and I Am Setsuna. It's a decent, fun RPG made on a budget. Sure, it isn't graphically impressive, but I liked the unified aesthetic, and the music was beautiful. It doesn't have a great or original story, and it pretty much just lifts the battle system from Chrono Trigger, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's fun to play. Anyone expecting a 'modern classic' from Setsuna was kidding themselves, it never looked like that and the team is obviously fairly inexperienced. It's still better than a lot of JRPGs released on Vita.
I can get the disappointment in it. From what I've played of Setsuna, they did at least get some of what made Chronic Trigger fun to play and they did an admirable job in replicating those elements. They also seemingly recognized that you can't just copy CT's mechanics and call it a day and thus tried to make modern additions.

The issue that makes them and the game frustrating is that they then failed to act on that understanding in a way that actually made for a good/better game. Their solutions for updating CT basically end up being a shotgunning of mechanics from other games, both contemporary and modern, all of which clunk up how the game plays and ultimately contributed to it being so easy.

While I have hopes they can turn things around and do great things, I can get Duckroll's comparison to RPGmaker fans.

hongcha

I agree I Am Setsuna is a good game. I quite enjoyed it. However, it was released on Vita (in Japan, which is what this thread talks about), and I consider it among the lower tier of JRPGs on the system. That's more of a testament to the large number of great JRPGs on the system than an indictment on the quality of I am Setsuna as a game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Vita is pretty weak for JRPGs to be honest. It's pretty much just Persona 4 Golden/FF X/FF X-2 for high quality releases.

MoonFrog

Can't speak to Setsuna's actual quality, personally. It is a game that I've thought about buying at times. It is a game I want to land on the side of 'yes,' but I just never have because what I've seen of the game does not convince me and nor does the word of mouth. That is, its perceived quality to me is middling and I have games that do come across as quality to me that I want to play still.

The thing is I'm not talking about quality of production and I'm not complaining about the price tag. What would get me to buy the game is a more positive impression of its quality.

I'm bringing this up because we're talking about why IAS didn't sell better and what TRF should/could do to make their games sell better; so I'm providing my prospective on why it failed to sell to me, despite being in its supposed target audience.

IDK. It's a balancing act. IAS did not literally need to be more attractive to me than all the classic options available to me that I have yet to get to. It isn't that simple. I like to buy and support new games and studios putting out content for me too. TRF just has never convinced me that they are that is all.

I hope they do. I'd rather Square take steps to make it such that they do than close them down. And I think that step would be putting some experienced talent in there to help them learn their craft. That'd do more than lowering prices or raising budgets, imo, which is what we were discussing.

Is it wrong that I’ve never enjoyed I am Setsuna? I bought it during the switch launch and kinda didn’t like it at all,it was tiresome and boring as hell,comparing it to Asano Team games are really unfair since their games are far more well received and enjoyable

duckroll

I Am Setsuna is a bad game because it's completely unnoteworthy. It has nothing to say. It has no unique expression. It is utterly average in every possible way. Tokyo RPG Factory could have just never existed and no one would be worse off.

The best selling 3D Mario game worldwide is Super Mario Galaxy with 12.75m.
The best selling 3D Mario game in Japan is 3D Land with over 2m.

I could see Super Mario Odyssey surpassing both of these as long as there's enough stock over the holidays and after. I expect the first week to be about on par with Galaxy and 3D Land, but the real test comes with the legs.

Is it wrong that I’ve never enjoyed I am Setsuna? I bought it during the switch launch and kinda didn’t like it at all,it was tiresome and boring as hell,comparing it to Asano Team games are really unfair since their games are far more well received and enjoyable

I'm in the exact same boat. I imported a physical copy of the game from Japan, played it, and got the same experience as you. It's very boring, and I really can't stand the visuals and depressing grey and white areas of the game. I think I managed to play 3 hours or so in total. I never touched it again, and I don't think I ever will.

I think Lost Sphear demo I played on Gamescom had a better visual style with a lot more color variations. I liked it a lot better. The gameplay still was tiresome.

random25

The best selling 3D Mario game worldwide is Super Mario Galaxy with 12.75m.
The best selling 3D Mario game in Japan is 3D Land with over 2m.

I could see Super Mario Odyssey surpassing both of these as long as there's enough stock over the holidays and after. I expect the first week to be about on par with Galaxy and 3D Land, but the real test comes with the legs.

If we're talking about worldwide, there's really no question with a 3D Mario legs. As long as the Switch sells, the game will continue to sell. Even 3D World, after a slow start, is just a few thousand units away from outselling NSMBU worldwide.

I can see it also having legs in Japan too.

ggx2ac

Interesting how there is no dock or dog controller in that ad. It makes the Switch look like a handheld with detachable sides.

Well, they did say the game was developed with portables in mind.

So the advertisements are saying that this is something you should be playing on the go. (Don't forget there's local co-op multiplayer as well.)

Edit: Meh, just missed the edit with the extra ad put in of TV mode being shown. So they're just showing all modes, Handheld, Tabletop, and TV mode.

If we're talking about worldwide, there's really no question with a 3D Mario legs. As long as the Switch sells, the game will continue to sell. Even 3D World, after a slow start, is just a few thousand units away from outselling NSMBU worldwide.

I can see it also having legs in Japan too.

Well, I don't question its ability to have great legs, but more-so its ability to have enough legs to outsell Galaxy worldwide and 3D Land in Japan. :p

I definitely think it's possible, but I think a lot of it depends on how this holiday season goes.

Vita is pretty weak for JRPGs to be honest. It's pretty much just Persona 4 Golden/FF X/FF X-2 for high quality releases.

I'm guessing you mean "weak for mainstream JRPG's" rather than weak for good JRPG's when you say "high quality releases".

Because when the discussion is about I am Setsuna, I'd say there is a tonne of better stuff on the platform; just a lot of it isn't going to appeal to the masses.

But then again, neither did I am Setsuna lol.

Top Bottom