• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Masque+02

19. Masque of the Red Death - The story of a cruel Satanist prince who parties while a deadly plague rages outside his castle's walls. Its great. The costumes and sets are extravagant and beautiful. Vincent Price is excellent as always as the villain. People are just a plaything to him and its very satisfying when he realizes the truth about his mysterious guest.

Fury451

Banned
I feel like It Follows leans a bit on nostalgia, but it has that weird timeless feel to it too. I'm still not sure what to make of those weird makeup cased ereaders the MC was using.

I learned in art history that surrealism paintings are set in no time, and no place, but familiar elements of both.

It Follows works for similar reasons. It's set somewhere familiar but nowhere at the same time, in a time that's past, present and future simultaneously. It helps with the overall eerie dreamlike feel of it.

Penguin

Movie 1 - Dracula (1931) [NEW]
Movie 2 - Dracula 2000 [NEW]
Movie 3 - Dracula (1979) [NEW]
Movie 4- The Creature from The Black Lagoon [NEW]
Movie 5 - Dracula's Daughter [New]
Movie 6 - Son of Dracula [New]
Movie 7 - El Bar [New]
Movie 8 - Dark Prince: The True Story of Dracula [New]
Movie 9 - John Carpenter's Vampires [New]
Movie 10 - Blacula [New]
Movie 11 - Dollman vs Demonic Toys [New]
Movie 12 - Frankenstein 1931 [New]
Movie 13 - Bride of Frankenstein [New]
Movie 14 - Corpse Bride [New]
Movie 15 - Little Evil [New]
Movie 16 - Alienate [New]
Movie 17 - Mary Shelley's Frankenstein [New]
Movie 18 - Cult of Chucky [New]
Movie 19 - The Babysitter [New]
Movie 20 - Freddy vs Jason [Rewatch]
Movie 21 - The Mummy (1932) [New]
Movie 22 - The Invisible Man [New]
Movie 23 - The Body Snatcher [New]
Movie 24 - The Mummy (2017) [New]
Movie 25 - Happy Death Day [New]
Movie 26 - The Wolf Man [New]
Movie 27 - Uncaged [New]
Movie 28 - The Batman vs Dracula [Rewatch]
Movie 29 - Scream Blacula Scream [New]
Movie 30 - Final Destination 2 [Rewatch]
Movie 31 - Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man [New]

Movie 32 - I Don't Remember (I'll find the name)

This is embarrassing, this movie was so forgettable that I literally forgot the name once I turned it off... it was like Cottage Craze or something, it's on Hulu. It's like a bad Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

movie 33 - The Order [New]
I remembered the name of this movie... and nothing else. Well it had Heath Ledger and a secret religious order... and I pretty much checked out early.

On a bit of a break checking out Slasher Guilty Party on Netflix

lordxar

It’s a Clive Barker movie, if that carries any weight with someone. It’s not a good film per se, it’s a great corny horror movie though. Back in the day we kept wishing for it to be on mst3k because it’s ripe for that treatment. It has such an iconic scene too

the turncoat preacher being “baptized” by Rex by peeing on him

That’s worth the price of admission alone.

I get Pumpkinhead and Rawhead mixed up every time one comes up. Pumpkinhead is the hillbilly that seeks vengeance and Rawhead is like a Celtic thing? Their both bad so meh but that cover art is pretty damn good.

Elandyll

Banned
Day 18
The Mist
Fantastic job by Frank Darabont, the crew and all the actors for a work obviously done on a small ish budget.
The story adapted from a Stephen King short really works, and the tension throughout is thick, as well as the atmosphere, with a totally devastating ending. Superb.
9/10

Day 19
The Cabin in the Woods
Another great movie, but on the parody/ tribute side of things, as well as a strong (non preachy) messahe toward the movie going audience.
If it is your first time, know simply there is a reason for everything, and enjoy the ride.
9/10

27) Macabre (2009)

A blood-drenched Indonesian variant on the “trapped in the cannibal family house” horror story, with copious decapitations, hacking and slashing, brutal kills and fights, and over-the-top gore. A chainsaw and katana too...it’s that kind of movie. A gory good time of a slasher horror/thriller

Toa TAK

Banned
Day 20:

20. 1922

The simple farmer and his plan to kill his wife makes for a good premise. The story itself turns out to be just as good with good acting from the cast, and a restraint on the supernatural element itself. You almost feel sorry the man who loses it all. Almost--if he didn't go out and kill his wife. The ending is great work, almost a sense of solace conflicting with immediate distress, if that makes sense. It's haunting, but earned.

Give it a go.

28) The Dead (2010)

Not the best zombie film in terms of story and acting (although decent for the genre) and plot convenience, but where The Dead excels is atmosphere. The setting alone sets it apart: an outbreak not in the city or the countryside but the outskirts and savannas and villages of Africa, under the beating sun, through the pitch-black lightless nights, the tall grass and thick underbrush. The undead here are reminiscent of Night of the Living Dead, in their dead gaze and listless gait and ever-present threat. More husk than roaming monster, lurking in the background, in the shadows, a threat you can’t escape. The Dead understand how to make the slow shambling undead creepy. Solid gore effects add to the survival and kills.

Divius

sm2HSow.png

#20 - Final Destination 2 (2003)

The amazing traffic jam scene sets the tone; this will be bigger and bloodier than the original and honestly, that is exactly what this sequel needs to be.The rules are still clear, and still important, and that’s why it works... No matter how ridiculous thing get. Compared to the first, the kills are more elaborate and the way they are orchestrated is a joy to watch. The mostly one-note characters are ripe for the picking but aren’t too annoying, and out of ANY of the actors from the original I’m glad it’s Ali Larter. She is cool. With the right amount of cheese and self-awareness this one is extremely enjoyable. 6/10

I'm falling so behind. I'll have to half-ass my reviews even more than usual to catch up tonight. At least I'm only 1 movie behind so that shouldn't be too bad catching up.

INVISIBLE-MAN_ART-2.jpg

#25 - The Invisible Man

I first watched this movie back in 2009, the first year I did the challenge, and was blown away at how good it was almost 80 years later. It's become an October tradition to watch this since then, and I love it each time. My all time favorite of the Universal Classic Monster movies.

9 Invisible men killing more than any movie monster combined back in the 30 or 40s out of 10

October 20
Film #23
The ABCs of Death

What makes these anthologies so great is also their downfall. You know that if a particular letter is rubbish, another one will be along in just a moment. Unfortunately, if a particular letter is fantastic, another one will still be along in a minute. Personally I would love to have spent more time in Lee Hardcastle's T
oilet
, and I wish there had been multiple O's, because Bruno Forzani and Helene Cattet
give such fantastic head
. Sadly, for every D
ogfight
there's a C
ycle
, for every Z
etsumetsu
, a Q
uack
. Not everyone can be Ben Wheatley.

Overall I think the quality of the films in the sequel is better, but I still really enjoyed this, and there is nothing in the second movie that comes anywhere close to being as fucked up as L is for
Libido
. I love the way the format gives exposure to some completely madcap, off the wall ideas that would struggle to find an audience on their own.

Verdict: Definitely worth watching, though I really wish I could unsee F.

Films I've watched so far

dcelw540

o0dCrgE1h3Hbqw1SbMWPle1Fhvm.jpg

This movie is god awful. This movie is probably the worst movie this year I saw. The neighborhood apparently is dead and nobody lives in any of these houses. The killers stop trying to kill for dumb reasons. It's an insulting movie that thinks it's trying to be tongue and cheek with the tropes but fails on all levels. The first 20 minutes I thought was decent but once the situation happens it turns to shit. It doesn't know what it wants to be horror or comedy. Avoid at all cost.

1/10

Any movie recommendations for anything on Amazon Prime or Netflix? I don't trust the user ratings on Amazon Prime.
At a glance Prime has the following:
Night of the Living Dead (classic)
Chopping Mall (80’s fun)
Pet Semetary (sometimes dead is better)
An American Werewolf in London (classic)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (classic)
Pan’s Labrynth (haunted fairy tale)
The Mutilator (only enjoyable if you watch with others who like so bad it’s good stuff. Not a good movie but enjoyable in its terribleness.)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (classic)

Netflix
The Babysitter (it’s fun, ignore the review that just came through and check for yourself. Pretty much everyone else enjoyed it, maybe you will)
Curse of Chucky/Cult of Chucky (if you’ve followed the series, if not I wouldn’t jump on here)
Dead Set (doesn’t count because it was a mini series but great zombie mini from the guy who went on to make Black Mirror)

Not sure what type you’re looking for but I’ve seem all of these and would watch again for various reasons.

Linkhero1

At a glance Prime has the following:
Night of the Living Dead (classic)
Chopping Mall (80’s fun)
Pet Semetary (sometimes dead is better)
An American Werewolf in London (classic)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (classic)
Pan’s Labrynth (haunted fairy tale)
The Mutilator (only enjoyable if you watch with others who like so bad it’s good stuff. Not a good movie but enjoyable in its terribleness.)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (classic)

Netflix
The Babysitter (it’s fun, ignore the review that just came through and check for yourself. Pretty much everyone else enjoyed it, maybe you will)
Curse of Chucky/Cult of Chucky (if you’ve followed the series, if not I wouldn’t jump on here)
Dead Set (doesn’t count because it was a mini series but great zombie mini from the guy who went on to make Black Mirror)

Not sure what type you’re looking for but I’ve seem all of these and would watch again for various reasons.
Thank you! I ended up going with Deathgasm for tonight. I'll keep your list in mind. :)

Ithil

40) Crimson Peak (2015)

28X4wxj.jpg

Ghosts are real, that much I know.

Poofy shoulders galore!

Having spent much of the first half of the month watching Hammer Horror films, this one ended up feeling most appropriate in the end, as a throwback gothic horror film. Guillermo del Toro is in the directing chair, and as you would expect from him, the film looks truly wonderful. Sumptuous photography, lavish costumes and sets, macabre creatures, and exquisite colours and lighting. Among the costumes I particularly liked the Hallloween orange dress Mia Wasikowska's character had early in the film, looking like a beautiful pumpkin.
The film only gets more visually satisfying once it moves to the titular Peak, a vast crumbling mansion of twisting stairs, fluttering moths and more candles than you can shake a severed hand at. The red clay the house sits on, and is slowly sinking in, seeps from the walls of the rooms and looks distinctly like the bright red blood seen in Hammer Horror film. Not unintentional I wager.

Now, with the strengths of del Toro come the weaknesses, which are exactly what you'd expect. The writing and plot are adequate, but nothing above that, and you won't find many surprises in the film. I worked out the plot pretty quickly and I suspect you will too, yet it moves quite slowly and takes a while to make the reveals.
It's also not all that scary. There is suspense and supernatural tension, and the ghosts look marvelously grotesque (one of them reminded me a little of the ghost from PT the video game). But in terms of terror? Not a lot. Nor does it really try all that much to scare you outside of a couple of scenes. I'm not surprised to see that del Toro calls this a gothic romance rather than a straight horror film.
I was reminded of Tim Burton's version of Sleepy Hollow. That too was a throwback to gothic horror, in particular Hammer Horror, and has a similar tone and style to this film.

So expect magnificent visuals and production, with a solid if predictable story and a fine cast, but not a huge number of scares. If that sounds good to you, give it a watch. I'm glad I saw it, in any case.

lordxar

The Hillside Strangler Continuing on with serial killer month with a second entry of real life to be on film. Well...if you ignore Psycho being based loosely off someone or Angst I guess but those were more figurative. This is pretty much a literal thing like BTK was. These guys would go pick up hookers, strangle them, and dump them. As they are portrayed in the film their pretty despicable human beings which may not be far off given their crimes.

Like BTK it was a bit too much of a true detective type reenactment show but this one was a bit more of a serious effort at showing these guys in action. See the Hillside Strangler was really a pair of cousins that took their frustrations out on hookers and random women later on. Overall the film wasn't a bad effort but it wasn't a really good one either. Things jump around a bit much and C Thomas Howell reminded me of a perverted Ned Flanders or maybe dude from Breaking Bad.

I give this one three strangled hookers in the trunk.

MV5BMTI0NTAxMjg5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTcxMzcyMQ@@._V1_SY500_CR0,0,354,500_AL_.jpg

evil-4-600x888.jpg

#26 - Little Evil (FTV)

First off, based on the cast of this film (Adam Scott, Evangeline Lilly, Donald Faison, Sally Field) just how much money does Netflix spend of these original movies?

This was the only real “cutesy” horror film I’m watching for the challenge, and I have to say that even though it’s pretty generic horror comedy, it’s also a fun film. It’s a cross between The Omen and Problem Child, but somehow managed to turn into a message for fathers to get to know their stepsons before judging them too harshly. Loved the references to other horror movies like The Exorcist, Rosemary’s Baby, Children of the Corn, The Shining, etc.

This was lighthearted and enjoyable. Recommended if you want a horror comedy with heart and fluff.

7 would you marry Evangeline Lilly in return for raising the Antichrist out of 10

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
20. Housebound (new)

This was really creepy and yet funny. A woman is put on house arrest and notices hauntings in her childhood home as she is stuck there with her paranoid blabermouth mother

This achieved the perfect balance of horror and comedy. I didn’t know whether she was crazy or her mother was just paranoid or what. Love the house arrest setup as it makes a claustrophobic feel right away and the dynamics with the mother really make for an interesting confluence of events

DeathoftheEndless

you-won-cannes-amos-top-10-2013-in-the-mouth-of-madness.jpg

20. In the Mouth of Madness - A weird film about an evil book that drives readers insane. It does unique things with the concept, but its not fully coherent. The acting, writing, and music are all a mixed-bag. Its worth checking out if you're into Lovecraftian stuff.

29) Kill List (2011)

Oh, yeah, this was a wild ride. A bleak, gory as hell, insane wrecking ball of a film that swings between drama, hitman thriller, and increasingly unsettling horror. The ratcheting of tension and off-kilter unease throughout, until the crazy finale, makes Kill List one very effective genre hybrid.

Steamlord

#10 - The Witch Who Came from the Sea

"Grandpa would never be buried in the earth!"

What the hell was that? I've wanted to check this out for a few years now due solely to that hella fucking rad poster. Unfortunately the poster has nothing to do with the movie itself. It's supposed to be a character study of a woman who slowly goes insane grappling with childhood trauma. It doesn't work. In fact, it's so good at not working that it sort of comes back around and becomes a fascinating film for that reason. Points for effort, I guess?

1. (NEW) Leatherface
2. (NEW) Suspiria
3. (NEW) The Birds
4. (NEW) Eraserhead
5. (NEW) The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari
6. (NEW) Repulsion
7. (NEW) Trick r' Treat
8. (NEW) Cult of Chucky
9. (NEW) Don't Look Now
10. (NEW) The House of the Devil
11. (NEW) The Wicker Man (1973)
12. (NEW) Gerald's Game
13. Friday the 13th Part Vl: Jason Lives
14. (NEW) The Howling
15. (NEW) The Invitation
16. 28 Days Later
17. (NEW) Raw
18. (NEW) The Babysitter
19.(NEW) It Comes At Night

20. (NEW) Frankenstein (1931)

A classic for good reason. Boris Karloff kills in this role... literally.
The mannerisms of the Frankenstein monster display sadness, fear, confusion, and aggression. This isn't just a dead body come back to life; it's a person that doesn't understand what he is and what to do with himself. He doesn't comprehend the way humans operate because he doesn't get the chance to learn. It's a sad tale, for sure. A true "don't judge a book by its cover" story. What I wish we could've have seen is
what happens when the monster climbs through the window of the bride's room. Why does he not kill her?
I'm going to start watching more classic horror movies as the month ends, so this movie made me look forward to what's ahead.

Brakke

Banned
Not really keeping score but I'll chime in.

Just watched 30 Days of Night. Vampires attack Barrow, Alaska at the nadir of winter when the sun is set for 30 days. Stars Josh Hartnett and some people you recognize but can't name.

It was fine? Definitely way longer than necessary, and I wish they did more with the 30 days concept. Surviving on the run in the savage cold should be at least as dangerous as vampires, but the movie sort of handwaves the time by just arbitrarily jumping ahead a week or two here and there. Some fun scene-chewing and solid moments, but the movie just bloats too much into hitting classic zombie tropes (”oh no a kid just turned can we stomach killing a monster-child"; ”oh no we're in a room with someone who was hiding their bite and is about to turn"; ”oh no I need to kill this monster but my gun will alert the rest of them what can I do") and ends on a flat video game boss battle.

I watched Bone Tomahawk last weekend. Throughly enjoyed but it was oversold to me as a horror movie. Spends a long, long time getting to the real shit. Also everybody talks about the
bisection
scene, but the image that's really stuck with me is the long shot of the cave and the mountain. It's just so... unnatural. Ominous not for being threatening but just for being baffling. Also the fucked up Injuns-are-savages racist backdrop to the whole thing is uncomfortable throughout. Having the Good One disown the Injuns as hated even by Indians lampshades it but doesn't alleviate it.

http://www.youwoncannes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/you-won-cannes-amos-top-10-2013-in-the-mouth-of-madness.jpg[IMG]

20. In the Mouth of Madness - A weird film about an evil book that drives readers insane. It does unique things with the concept, but its not fully coherent. The acting, writing, and music are all a mixed-bag. Its worth checking out if you're into Lovecraftian stuff.[/QUOTE]

Caught this earlier in the week. In think we're in the same boat. I really wanted to like it: several scenes hit the mark and the concept was solid, but it just didn't hold together for me.

16 | Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers | New!
H9iHSJR.jpg

Average enough film with the twist putting it into slightly better standing. The actress that played Rachel carried most of the movie for me. Loomis great as always also. The house setting was decent until all the important people decided to leave for unimportant reasons. Also whats up with that horrible Mask. Also I take it his immortality also somehow healed his eyes.

17 | Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers | New!
OBJRxLk.jpg

Nothing really great about this movie at all. You would think that at this point the town of Haddonfield would be a bit more prepared for Michael to come back like he always does. Found it a bit boring with Tina being the only decent character outside of Loomis. Also Michael's powers seem just completely dumb at this point. His teleportation or speed walking ability is ridiculous. Seems like everyone in the cast was just going through the motions in this one.

18 | Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers [Producer's Cut] | New!
UMmmloX.jpg

6 Years since that boys been back! So the mask looks semi decent in this one! Not sure how big of a difference there is between theatrical and producers cut but this Halloween was solid. Tommy Doyle was great in this and it was neat seeing a bit of how his life played out after his encounter with Michael. Enjoyed this one a bit more just due to the fact that they tried moving the series in a different direction besides the whole Michael comes back and slaughters people in Haddonfield again. We get a bit more explanation on why Michael is immortal and what drives him. Probably the best Halloween after the first Two but happy to have finally finished the series.

1. (New) Jason Goes to Hell (Vudu) Skip
2. (New) Trick 'r Treat (Blu) watch
3. (Rewatch) From Dusk Till Dawn (hulu) watch
4. (Rewatch) The Faculty (hulu) watch
5. (New) My Bloody Valentine (3d Blu) ymmv
6. (Rewatch) Sleepaway Camp 3 (vudu movies on us) fun watch
7. (New) Tag (Netflix) skip
8. (New) Pumpkinhead (Amazon prime) skip
9. (Rewatch) Final Destination 5 (3-D Blu) watch
10. (Rewatch) Piranha 3-D (3-D Blu) watch
11. (Rewatch) Sleepaway Camp 2 (Vudu on us) fun watch
12. (Rewatch) Zombieland (blu) watch
13. (Rewatch) The 'Burbs (Arrow Blu) watch
14. (Rewatch) Scream (Vudu) watch
15. (Rewatch) Mars Attacks (hulu) watch
16. (Rewatch) Devil’s Advocate (Hulu) watch
17 (New) Hatchet (Hulu). Skip/ymmv
18. (New) Night of the Living Deb (Netflix) ymmv
19. (New) Cult of Chucky (Netflix) watch
20. (New) The Babysitter (Netflix) watch
21. (Rewatch) Final Destination (Vudu) watch
22. (Rewatch) Final Destination 2 (Vudu) watch
23. (Rewatch) Final Destination 3 (Vudu). There is someone walking beside you. Here we go to a more to the point entry in the series. It’s Ramona Flowers versus death after she escapes a rollercoaster crash. The kills are a lot of fun and this really establishes the franchise as a consistent entertainer.
24. (Rewatch) Book of Life (3D Blu) does this count? It’s the day of the dead which I feel is Halloween themed. I dunno, I should be over 31 so I’ll list it. Here we get a tale of a brave bullfighter going through heaven and hell to win back his love with mariachi covers of songs. It’s gorgeously animated, has a great cast, and is a fun tale. This is a gem that gets forgotten but it shouldn’t.

The Hillside Strangler Continuing on with serial killer month with a second entry of real life to be on film. Well...if you ignore Psycho being based loosely off someone or Angst I guess but those were more figurative. This is pretty much a literal thing like BTK was. These guys would go pick up hookers, strangle them, and dump them. As they are portrayed in the film their pretty despicable human beings which may not be far off given their crimes.

Like BTK it was a bit too much of a true detective type reenactment show but this one was a bit more of a serious effort at showing these guys in action. See the Hillside Strangler was really a pair of cousins that took their frustrations out on hookers and random women later on. Overall the film wasn't a bad effort but it wasn't a really good one either. Things jump around a bit much and C Thomas Howell reminded me of a perverted Ned Flanders or maybe dude from Breaking Bad.

I give this one three strangled hookers in the trunk.

MV5BMTI0NTAxMjg5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTcxMzcyMQ@@._V1_SY500_CR0,0,354,500_AL_.jpg

Should check out the Last Podcast on the Left episodes on these guys too.

Forgot that I did watch American Werewolf in London earlier this month. Fun movie with some tense moments. 4/5 dead lambs.

Dissected more of It Comes at Night today and had an hour long conversation about it with a friend. There's plenty of great themes/metaphors to pick out and think about, especially from the last 15 mins or so of the film.

sadromeo

October 20, 2017:

New72Iz.jpg

20 of 31 - The Children of the Corn

A movie about a small town in Nebraska where the children have decided to rid themselves of all adults by following the religious teachings of a boy named Issac and 'He who walks behind the rows'...

This movie is based on a short story by Stephen King and it definitely is fun, creepy and worth a watch. Children, especially young children, can be creepy in their own right and this movie has no shortage of this. Gore is light, with most kills happening off screen with a spray of blood here and there, and mostly has the kids brandishing weapons hunting down any 'adult' or 'outlander' that happen to land in their town.

If you like creepy horror movies about kids or horror movies in general, this is worth a watch. -7/10

--I remember watching this a teen and thinking, "Hell yeah, fuck the adults!". But re-watching now as an adult, I am thinking, "Seriously, fuck those kids".

sp3ctr3

#01 Serial Mom
#02 [REC]2
#03. Bloodsucking Bastards
#04. Train to Busan
#05 It Follows
#06 Hush
#07 Lights Out
#08 Cabin in the Woods (Re-watch)
#09 Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2013)
#10 The Conjuring 2
#11 Jason Lives: Friday 13th part VI (Re-watch)
#12 The Babysitter (2017)
#13 Sinister II
#14 Tales of Halloween (Re-watch)
#15 Monster House (Re-watch)
#16 Gerald's Game
#17 Day of the Dead (2008) (Re-watch)
#18 P2 (2007)

#19 The Nightmare Before Christmas
The_nightmare_before_christmas_poster.jpg

Wathed this with my daughter. It was her first time and english is not our first language so I was reading the subtitles out loud. She really loved it :)

#20 Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters_%281984%29_theatrical_poster.png

A classic. I haven't watched this in a looooong while but several times while watching it I thought to myself, "wow, this is so great!"

The comedic moments is really something else. And always awesome to see a 100ft tall Mr. Stay Puft.

DeathoftheEndless

Martin+1977+movie+pic2.jpg

21. Martin - An excellent vampire film that eschews most of the supernatural aspects and focuses on the daily struggles of its main character. I love it when characters show operatic precision in their actions and it works here to show how experienced Martin is. He's a shy person and has difficulty whenever he gets close to other people. Even though he drinks the blood of strangers, I really started to feel for the guy by the end of the film.

Ithil

41) I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (2016)

S18berL.jpg

A house where someone has died cannot be bought, it can only be borrowed from the dead that lived there.

This was an odd one. A very slow and dreamy ghost story, high on atmosphere but low on substance. I wasn't surprised to see this was made by the same creator as February (or The Blackcoat's Daughter as it appears to also be called), which I watched a few days ago and didn't care for at all. This is a better film than February, but carries the same glacial, ponderous style. Despite only being 89 minutes, it crawls along and feels a lot longer. I actually thought the film was about to end and was surprised to see there was 24 minutes left.

With a minimal cast and setting, this needed to maximize its tiny worldspace and I'm not sure it did that. There's a good deal of suspense in the claustrophobic halls of the house, and its heavy emphasize on dark corners and doorways conveys a certain amount of dread. However, the actual plot that carries the film's intended otherwordly feel doesn't really amount to a great deal, and the film doesn't run out of steam so much as not have particularly much steam to begin with.
I actually wonder if this script would do much better as a play, not a movie.

Not bad, but not good either. The dreaded middle.

Toa TAK

Banned
Day 21, just 10 more days until Halloween!

21. The Unborn

I saw this because Odette Anabelle is in this and I regret everything. I was pretty surprised in seeing Idris Elba and forgot Gary Oldman is in here as well, easily the best actor in this movie. The monster itself is super dumb and ridiculous with a Nazi backstory and everything. Did I mention this was directed by David S. Goyer? Like hell. Also the monster jumps through "mirrors" through people? Wha? And at the end she gets pregnant with twins inferring that one of them is the monster. Lookin' flat for what looked like two fetuses going pretty far along. Don't get me started on the dumb upside-down heads in this.

Don't do what I did. Don't be fooled. Skip, skip, skip.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
21. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers

Mike is back after a 10 year coma and he wants to kill his niece. That's pretty much it.

Ok this series just fell off the cliff of absurdity. Mike Myers somehow survives and there's no guards around him and SOMEHOW he has knowledge of this daughter and just...well I wish they had gone with the anthology idea. I really don't have much to say. It's just more slaughter with a bad excuse for a plot. Kinda like Friday but it doesn't embrace the silly as it takes itself way too seriously.

October 21
Film #24
Johnny Frank Garrett's Last Word

Taken as a complete work of fiction, this is a mediocre revenge-from-beyond-the-grave horror movie. Framed for a crime he didn't commit, on his deathbed Johnny Frank Garrett put a curse on all those he considered responsible for his murder, and soon enough the body count begins to rise. It's not particularly exciting movie, there's real no scares to be had, but the characters are ok I guess, and I wasn't completely disappointed with it.

What puts a different complexion on the whole film however, is that up to a point it is based on a true story. The real Johnny Frank Garrett was put to death by the state of Texas on February 11 1992, about a decade after he was convicted of the rape and murder of a 76 year old nun. He died still claiming he was innocent. He also left a letter behind that ended with the curse. Superficially, it appears that the curse was reasonably successful too, as a good number of those he held to blame subsequently died, and not peaceably in their beds: there have been plane crashes, cancers, car crashes and I think five suicides. Coincidence?
Yes, obviously, but it's still kind of interesting.

Much better than this lacklustre movie is the documentary it is based on, which is just called The Last Word ( and can be found here if you're interested ) It doesn't dwell on the curse, but it does provide some pretty compelling evidence that Garrett's conviction was a huge miscarriage of justice, not that the state of Texas gives a shit about any of that. Having watched the doc, which includes some extremely moving testimony from Garrett's mother, I sort of feel like the fictional film is really quite crass and tasteless. Whatever a person's thoughts on Garrett's guilt or innocence, it does make you wonder just how his family must feel to see him portrayed as a crazy supernatural psycho-killer seeking bloody posthumous vengeance.

Verdict: The true crime source documentary is a much, much better watch.

Film #25
Ouija: Origin of Evil

I wouldn't normally bother watching a prequel to an allegedly shit movie I haven't seen, but Origin of Evil gets some good reviews, and it's a Mike Flanagan film, which is normally a sign of quality. I'm glad I did watch it, because it's great. Well-written, gorgeous to look at, and with a fantastic cast (Lulu Wilson is particularly great as Doris, the clairvoyant kid with a great line in creepy smiles), the film builds the scares slowly until its gloriously gothic and overwrought final act.

Verdict: Definitely recommended. I'm strangely tempted to watch the first film now.

Films I've watched so far

sp3ctr3

#01 Serial Mom
#02 [REC]2
#03. Bloodsucking Bastards
#04. Train to Busan
#05 It Follows
#06 Hush
#07 Lights Out
#08 Cabin in the Woods (Re-watch)
#09 Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2013)
#10 The Conjuring 2
#11 Jason Lives: Friday 13th part VI (Re-watch)
#12 The Babysitter (2017)
#13 Sinister II
#14 Tales of Halloween (Re-watch)
#15 Monster House (Re-watch)
#16 Gerald's Game
#17 Day of the Dead (2008) (Re-watch)
#18 P2 (2007)
#19 The Nightmare Before Christmas
#20 Ghostbusters

#21 1922
1922_%282017_film%29.png

Karma the movie

I found it was a bit slow paced but very good with great acting and great story telling. Some pretty graphic shots that looked very realistic to me.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Allow me to welcome you all back! I’ve checked out conjuring 2, babysitter, pet semetary, and I forget what else since we last were here. Have kept up with one a day though!

sp3ctr3

Have to admit that the forum being unavailable stopped me dead in my tracks. I might watch some movies this weekend but I don't think I will catch up to make the 31 for the month....

J-Roderton

Have to admit that the forum being unavailable stopped me dead in my tracks. I might watch some movies this weekend but I don't think I will catch up to make the 31 for the month....

Yup. It's amazing how motivating it was to be able to check this thread and post what I've been watching. I don't plan on posting much more here, maybe check in every now and then.

Update I guess:

17. The House That Bled To Death - Hammer short, not great.
18. Lake Placid vs Anaconda - Syfy. Awful.
19. The Gallows - Not a great found footage movie.
20. The Exorcist - Finally watched the classic. Liked it.
21. Grave Encounters - First rewatch of the year. Put this one on for a group. Went over great.
22. Sleepaway Camp - Probably my favorite viewing this year. Also, wtf...
23. Raw - Very creepy movie.
24. The Windmill - Average. Cool kills.

Got the weekend ahead to knock out a few movies. Should be fine to nail all 31.

https://letterboxd.com/Jroderton/

Watched geralds game. Impressed with it for being this kind of a film. enjoyed the effort and the ending. Though tbh i feel like she coulda tried a little harder or more attempts, her solution was nice.
Saw raw - well i ffwd through and watched some parts...

Just couldnt get into it enough to spend my night on it

Top Bottom