• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Review Thread

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
These are screenshots from what should be the final version of the game.

975302_20110105_screen007.jpg

975302_20110105_screen005.jpg

975302_20110105_screen002.jpg

975302_20110105_screen008.jpg

975302_20110105_screen003.jpg

975302_20110105_screen009.jpg

So no word one way or the other as to whether we'll see this on Steam? Normally I'd assume it would show up but given what has happened with Dragon Age 2 which I'd imagine is just one of numerous examples I'm left wondering if it will come to steam at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SenorDingDong said:
So no word one way or the other as to whether we'll see this on Steam? Normally I'd assume it would show up but given what has happened with Dragon Age 2 which I'd imagine is just one of numerous examples I'm left wondering if it will come to steam at all.
Their games all seem to come to Steam.

It's a question of when.

SenorDingDong said:

I'd order the PC version right now if somebody could convince me that the 360 controller support isn't ALL FUCKED UP LIKE DEAD SPACE 1 WITH A GIANT DEAD ZONE FOR THE THUMBSTICKS.

Sorry.

I bought Dead Space during the Steam sale last week and I feel RAPED. At least there's a chance that the Oddboxx stuff will be fixed.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So it is confirmed on jan 25 for PC? Please say yes, and news about controller support not being fucked up?

Yasae

Banned
Now I know what I don't like about Mouse+KB support for Dead Space. The sensitivity doesn't seem to carry over to aiming. Moving around is okay (if a bit clunky due to the "zoomed in" feel of the camera and your limited field of view,) but you have to whip your mouse around for shots. You can't shoot from the hip either, so the large difference in sensitivities is hard to look over. Vsync + triple buffering helps the lag but it doesn't help this at all. Certainly there's some kind of ratio you can add in the config, like in TF2?

I've also tried playing with a Logitech F510 (fantastic alternative to the 360 controller btw) and Beer Monkey is right. The dead zones are huge and the POV turning doesn't seem scaled properly - either you whip around to look or you stand perfectly still.

I just preordered the 360 version (nice that Amazon gives you the DS Ignition code immediately). Would rather play in glorious 1080p on my HTPC but I just can't trust that the PC controls will be tight.

Die Squirrel Die said:
So what's the difference between the first PC and the second?

That reminds me I need to check if my DS1 save file was lost when my PS3 died.

I think the DS1 cutter looks larger than the DS2 version, its more bulky in look im sure of it.

JRW

I plan on buying PC version but just played through the demo on both 360/PS3, Awesome game.

I did some comparisons and they're both really close except 360 version appears to have a sharper output overall. (both consoles connected via HDMI and sharing same Game video settings on TV).

I also prefer the default control configuration on 360.

Raoh

Loved the demo. Was originally going to get the PC version but going with the PS3 version so i can get Dead Space: Extraction with move support as well.

I liked Dead Space a lot but by the time I got to the end I was kind of glad it was over. Played through the DS2 demo and I'm not sure if this is good times or not. I don't like it when I finish playing games and end up more stressed out than when I started. :lol

Definity

I grabbed Dead Space today on games on demand from Xbox Live. I never played it and was looking forward to getting sucked in and then moving into the sequel BUT....the f'n game gets a dirty disc error at the same spot each time I try to play it!

This is a download game. I don't even have a disc in the tray. I've cleaned the cache and downloaded twice and no luck.

/rant

soultron

Banned
Pumped even though the demo was pretty terrible. (Really reeked of "vertical slice," but I guess what certain demos are all about.)

Liked that you can just stomp/beat the ever-living shit out of the xenomorphs now. Such a satisfying crunch.

Gameboy415

I've had this game pre-ordered for nearly a year and my PS3 just got the YLOD. :(
I hate my life.

Hopefully I can get this shit fixed in the next 2 weeks!

Grisby

Definity said:
I grabbed Dead Space today on games on demand from Xbox Live. I never played it and was looking forward to getting sucked in and then moving into the sequel BUT....the f'n game gets a dirty disc error at the same spot each time I try to play it!

This is a download game. I don't even have a disc in the tray. I've cleaned the cache and downloaded twice and no luck.

/rant

That sucks man, DS is a great game. Have you tried EA's forums or something for an answer?

sam27368

Banned
I know there are a few devs who worked on DS2 that lurk around the forum, if so, is the dead zones for the Xbox 360 controller (or any game controller for that matter) on the PC version of the game fixed?

Feorax

Game looks great, but I really need to play the first one before i consider puttong down money for this.

It just sits on my shelf...

Watching...

Waiting...

Irish

Feorax said:
Game looks great, but I really need to play the first one before i consider puttong down money for this.

Watching...

Waiting...

Heh, I had the original sitting in one of my bags for the last several months (because I had borrowed it from my brother) and I finally got around to digging into it last week. It really is a great game. I suggest you put it in your console and start playing it right away.

Max

I am not Max
Feorax said:

Watching...

Waiting...

MechDX

Feorax said:

Watching...

Waiting...

Duuuuuude!? Play that shit now! I played the demo for part 2 today and after a minute to refamilarize myself with the controls that same old feeling came back. Dead Space is what Resident Evil SHOULD have evolved into. Basically does RE better than RE does.

Great to see it scoring well, now if only I could buy it on steam. Although I do find myself tempted to grab the PS3 version having bought a rather nice new TV.

chris121580

Shurs said:
It looks like multiplayer ruined another game, just like Uncharted 2.
I will never let weak multiplayer ruin a game for me as long as the single player story is strong, just like Uncharted 2. I actually enjoyed the Uncharted 2 multiplayer though. I thought it was very well done. Ruined is definitely not a word I would imagine anyone will be associating with either of these games

Irish

chris121580 said:
Ruined is definitely not a word I would imagine anyone will be associating with either of these games

You apparently haven't seen Lard post. :p

I haven't actually read through any of the reviews as to not spoil myself, but has there been any information on overall length of the campaign?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Irish said:
You apparently haven't seen Lard post. :p

I haven't actually read through any of the reviews as to not spoil myself, but has there been any information on overall length of the campaign?
The first review for it used the word "lengthy", so presumably longer than Dead Space 1.

Given modern game length however, I wouldn't expect it to be *especially* longer than Dead Space 1 however.

LM4sure

Banned
The Gamestop commercial is terrible. Graphics look like shit and the main guy talks?! WTF?! I liked it better when he kept his mouth shut. He sounds awful too.

Glad it's getting good reviews though. Hopefully they don't fuck up the pc release this time.

I think the graphics look great - my only issue is that in some of the trailers the targeting laser looks really obviously like a physical object sticking out from the character - I'd love it if it were slightly hazier or even animated as flickering or pulsing somewhat (think the scanner from the very beginning of Aliens), but realistically it's probably only ever shown from over the shoulder in-game, so that's fine.

sam27368

Banned
If Edge gave DS2 a 9 then the multiplayer must be somewhat decent as they usually knock off a few points for stuff like that.

The latest Dead Space 2 has arrived, and it's yet another impressive mark from the latest Edge magazine, which awards the EA horror 9/10.

Edge's review wastes no time, opening by stating that "Dead Space 2 has everything its predecessor had", namely "a principal mix of sophistication and dread, underpinned by elegant survival horror mechanics and visual design nothing short of brilliant".

It goes on to quickly qualify that Dead Space 2 isn't just more of the same. In fact, it claims the leap in quality is so great that it's comparible to "Uncharted's move from a superior first game to an outstanding second".

"Polish, variety and, most radically for Dead Space 2, likeably engaging characters," make for a significantly improved Dead Space experience, says the mag.

Edge's score is the latest in a growing line of praise for Dead Space 2, alongside PSM3's 92% Dead Space 2 review and OXM's 9/10 Dead Space 2 review.

Awesome

Can anyone confirm that ps3 version is in now way deficient graphics wise vs 360? In particular in terms of screen tearing.

I played the original on 360, but preordered on ps3 for the extraction game. I already played extraction on wii so its not a big deal switching to 360 if its a better version.

Shurs

cleveridea said:
Can anyone confirm that ps3 version is in now way deficient graphics wise vs 360? In particular in terms of screen tearing.

I played the original on 360, but preordered on ps3 for the extraction game. I already played extraction on wii so its not a big deal switching to 360 if its a better version.

I think the first game was pretty much the same on both platforms.

I'd assume the same for the second game.

Karram

Did any of the reviews talk about the multiplayer ? From what I've played in the beta it was pretty fun not sure if its going to last though. I really hope there will be some actuall SP DLC.

Max

I am not Max
From the few games I played in the beta, multiplayer reminded me alot of L4D, with ranks for upgraded weapons. I hope I can get at least a little fun out of it on PC.

badcrumble said:
I think the graphics look great - my only issue is that in some of the trailers the targeting laser looks really obviously like a physical object sticking out from the character - I'd love it if it were slightly hazier or even animated as flickering or pulsing somewhat (think the scanner from the very beginning of Aliens), but realistically it's probably only ever shown from over the shoulder in-game, so that's fine.
You talking about how each line doesn't act independently like in the first game? Because I was wondering about that and you can set it to 'Classic' in the options

Kinda weird how they have the static lasers by default, looks really weird in the shots.

Top Bottom