• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft seeking staff for next-gen Xbox

Chittagong

Gold Member
BboyDubC said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you think any brand new CPU can be developed in 1 year, start to finish, you're beyond crazy. We've already been working on "this iteration" for a year and it was part of our existing roadmap, we just got called to pull in our dev schedule. Think I'm still under NDA with this....

Wii 2 to be off the shelf CPU duct taped together confirmed

But yeah, anyone who works with consumer electronics knows that for anyone shooting for Christmas market by March you are not developing a CPU, you are doing production tests with final taped out hardware, at most optimizing PWB layouts. Remember 3DS was massproduced in its final form in Q4 2010

Not to speak of a total lack of dev kits out there....

.... unless this is totally backwards compatible, HD upgrade... Gekko + Flipper 3?

BboyDubC said:
I have information that a next gen console will be debuting next fall. My company just got commissioned for making a next gen cpu for one of the console makers, and they need us to push it so they can make launch of next fall. Not going to disclose any more than that.

Next fall as in 2011 or 2012

Chittagong

Gold Member
tc farks said:
2011 would be this fall. 2012 would be next fall.

yeah the timeline would make sense in that way, even though it'd be slightly a rush job. It would land them with fairly final HW pre-E3 next year, dev kits H2 this year especially if it's an off the shelf variant, and would give good time for a H2 2012 ramp.

It's pretty much in line with everyones predictions in the next gen thread - Nintendo 2012, PS360 2013-2014

Chittagong said:
yeah the timeline would make sense in that way, even though it'd be slightly a rush job. It would land them with fairly final HW pre-E3 next year, dev kits H2 this year especially if it's an off the shelf variant, and would give good time for a H2 2012 ramp.

It's pretty much in line with everyones predictions in the next gen thread - Nintendo 2012, PS360 2013-2014

So then it will probably turn out completely different.

tc farks said:
2011 would be this fall. 2012 would be next fall.

Not a universal way of looking at it, some people consider next fall to mean "the next fall to happen"

I look at it your way, just want some clarification

Dabanton

FLEABttn said:
It's not "the way it is". It was created by you. Two or three months of self-control from the Xbox 1 community would have killed off p2p gaming but most people are stupid.

And instead of trying to fix the problem, people are all too willing to pay the $50 yearly and talk about how awesome it is or talk about how nothing can be done, when they're the reason it was continued to begin with.

It's awesome and it's fun don't like it don't pay for it . Their are plenty of other ways to get your gaming fix if paying for Live is not for you.

I really don't see what you're getting so upset about.

FLEABttn

Banned
Dabanton said:
It's awesome and it's fun don't like it don't pay for it . Their are plenty of other ways to get your gaming fix if paying for Live is not for you.

I really don't see what you're getting so upset about.

I'll tell you what: If PSN online play is still free next gen, I got upset for something that, while still categorically dumb, didn't affect me in the long run.

But, if PSN online play has a monetary cost to it, I get to blame you.

FLEABttn said:
I'll tell you what: If PSN online play is still free next gen, I got upset for something that, while still categorically dumb, didn't affect me in the long run.

But, if PSN online play has a monetary cost to it, I get to blame you.
Oh man this sort of shit is pathetic.

You don't get to blame anyone but Sony if PSN starts costing money. If they're willing to let it be free this generation - there should be no reason it costs the consumer anything next time round. There are no external factors outside of Sony deciding they want a greedy slice of that subscription pie. As for Microsoft, yeah I would like Live to be free - but they got lucky by releasing a superior service that people were happy to pay for. As more and more users come to the 360 the subscription userbase has to grow as more and more friends etc feel the need to play together. I feel that XBL is many times better than PSN as an online service and content provider, particularly UI-wise, however I don't pay the the yearly fee for that - I happily pay it so I can enjoy playing online games with many of my close friends that are also subscribers. If tomorrow they all dropped the service and moved to PSN, I'd be there too. However between COD, Halo and cross game chat I don't think it will ever happen.

In summary - MS provides a service worth paying for, Sony creates an alternative free service that they have maintained cost free for the consumer for years, if Sony decides they want to charge - it's no fault of Microsoft/XBL community, only Sony's greed.

StevieP

Banned
Stripper13 said:
In summary - MS provides a service worth paying for, Sony creates an alternative free service that they have maintained cost free for the consumer for years, if Sony decides they want to charge - it's no fault of Microsoft/XBL community, only Sony's greed.

Paid p2p matchmaking on any other system would very well be the direct result of Microsoft introducing it and getting away with it.

The "cpu" in this thread is likely for Nintendo's system. Both Microsoft and Sony are content with 2013.

Pooya

Looks like BboyDubC works for AMD
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7405679&postcount=130
(I work for AMD - ECE Masters - and also have a computer science minor -

There were rumors back in December that AMD and Globalfoundries, the company responsible for manufacturing the combined CPU/GPU in Xbox 360S is working on nextgeneration xbox.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/17842/amd_fusion_ii_on_next_generation_xbox/

Interestingly the new release/refresh XBox 360 's' console is a changed beast. It now has an integrated, single-chip CPU/GPU design from Globalfoundaries. This may sound familiar to some readers...
It looks like the next-gen XBox will be based on technology from AMD based on production at Globalfoundaries on their 28nm 'high-k gate first' process.

http://www.kitguru.net/software/gaming/jules/microsoft-chooses-amd-fusion-ii-for-xbox-720/
Initial AMD Fusion designs will work, but the full potential won’t be realised until the end of next year. Based on comments by people like Chekib Akrout, of all the likely designs to be targeted at the XBox 720 product, we think there’s a good chance that it will be the AMD Krishna product. This will be produced on Global Foundries’ 28nm ‘high-k gate first’ process (originally introduced in 2007 by co-inventors IBM, Toshiba and, ironically, Sony). The only real technical challenge for the first XBox 360 consoles was heat/noise, for which the AMD Krishna product could be the answer.

Globalfoundries is AMD spin off and they currently manufacture all of AMD's chips.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GlobalFoundries

In 2009 they acquired Chartered Semiconductor, the company that manufactures Xbox 360 CPUs.
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...h-globalfoundries-gpu-production-in-2011.aspx
in 2011, GlobalFoundries will have Fab 1 Module 1 and 2 at their disposal and with the finalization of Chartered Semiconductor acquisition, additional 300mm2 wafer manufacturing facilities in Singapore. Given that Chartered already manufactures CPUs for Xbox 360 and it is rumored that the foundry won a contract for Xbox "3", it is clear in which direction the AMD is heading.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/10/20/global-foundries-gtc-2010/1
We recently attended Global Foundries, Global Technology Conference in Hsinchu, Taiwan to learn about some of the more techy things the company was now doing post-AMD split. Unlike when we see Intel, which applies its technology to real products you and I can buy, Global Foundries is exclusively a service for others now; including AMD as we know, ARM partners and even Microsoft's new 45nm Xbox 360 Slim 'CGPU' that's actually the world's first CPU and GPU in a single piece of silicon.

What was particularly surprising was the achievements Global Foundries has managed in just 18 months of its spin-off from AMD. In that time it's bought and integrated Chartered Semiconductor, it's started building Fab 8 in Saratoga County, New York, it's expanding its Dresden Fabs and it's also upgrading its Singapore operations too. That's all in addition to asserting its own identity, rather living in the shadow of AMD.

BboyDubC said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you think any brand new CPU can be developed in 1 year, start to finish, you're beyond crazy. We've already been working on "this iteration" for a year and it was part of our existing roadmap, we just got called to pull in our dev schedule. Think I'm still under NDA with this...

here is the current known AMD roadmap, released late last year
11-10-10-amd6002k7lt.jpg

considering that Krishna is targeted for AIO, low power consumption, I'm not sure what kind of performance it has; whatever console BboyDubC's company is working on probably uses a CPU similar to one of those on the roadmap or something based on one of them.
GF's 28nm technology
http://www.globalfoundries.com/technology/28nm.aspx
28nm-HP targets high performance and general purpose applications such as graphics, game consoles, storage, consumer electronics, and wired networking.

[Nintex]

Interesting, I still think they'll got with a seperate GPU because the Fusion products seem to be build for tablets and such. They smoke integrated intel solutions but the framerate for most games using the already released "Zacate" is sub 30fps. Krishna is the more powerful version so to speak but I doubt it'll be a significant leap over MS's current hardware.

Canova

Banned
BboyDubC said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you think any brand new CPU can be developed in 1 year, start to finish, you're beyond crazy. We've already been working on "this iteration" for a year and it was part of our existing roadmap, we just got called to pull in our dev schedule. Think I'm still under NDA with this....

c'mon, we know it's Nintendo, just say it ;P

[Nintex]

comedy bomb said:
No way it's Nintendo.

the above post from miladesn pretty much confirms that lol
Unless Nintendo drops their console before fall 2012 I predict that MS and Nintendo will go head to head next fall.

Cements my decision to finally build a gaming PC this year. I really don't see the Xbox 720/PS4 coming out next year with all the titles STILL in development that have been for 1-3 years already so a 2013 launch seems likely. These console will be ancient by then.

DonMigs85

Yep, I was also pretty sure it would be MS. Looks like they want a head start again.
Still by going with AMD that likely means 360 BC will be through emulation, which hopefully won't suck. Or do you think they plan to include the 360 chipset?

Pooya

That part of the rumor about Krishna it's very unlikely if you ask me, we don't know what kind of performance it has, the GPU it's going to be weak regardlessl I think it's possible that they use technology from AMD but something custom, made for another purpose, Krishna is for low power consumption devices. They can make something else based on the GF's 28nm tech I think or maybe Ms's next console is a tablet, who knows...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/267983/news/xbox-tablet-mark-rein-shares-his-vision/
Mark Rein said:
"Imagine a future Xbox 360 that is actually a tablet you carry around. It will have more power than 360 does today, with technology like Kinect built right in."

kodt

Banned
I just hope next gen has a decent amount of RAM. It always seems they skimp on ram. 256MB-512MB Ram when PC's are running 2GB+ average.

Let's see at least 4GB ram and 2GB video ram in next gen systems. Seems like they could benefit from it with improved textures and resolutions.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Watchtower said:
I also wonder why some are saying the next Xbox will have a current or older gen GPU that won't be up to par with whatever GPU's top of the line in the PC world. That wasn't the case with either Xbox. While it didn't take long for PC graphics cards to surpass them when both of those consoles launched their GPU's were considered top of the line, neck in neck with whatever was the best on the PC at that time.

Unless Microsoft has a change in philosophy, then I would expect whatever Nvidia or ATI's hottest GPU is at the time, that's what they will go with. It will most likely either be based on something that just comes out at the time, or it will be a transition, console optimized chip of a PC GPU that's yet to be completed and released. Just like the 360's GPU which I think reigned as the best GPU for a couple of months before ATI completed and released its more advanced PC sister cards.
Because current top GPU's are noisy monsters that require huge amounts of power and cooling Area.

lupinko

BboyDubC said:

miladesn said:

So much for that NDA. lol jk

FLEABttn said:
It's not "the way it is". It was created by you. Two or three months of self-control from the Xbox 1 community would have killed off p2p gaming but most people are stupid.

And instead of trying to fix the problem, people are all too willing to pay the $50 yearly and talk about how awesome it is or talk about how nothing can be done, when they're the reason it was continued to begin with.

You act like MS was the first and only one to ever charge for console gaming when Sony and every other third party publisher in Japan charged for it last gen on the PS2. Sony has charged for online P2P gaming in the past, they can do it in the future. If people feel a service is worth paying for they will. If they don't feel it's worth paying for, they won't... then cry about it on message boards.

Stick to PC gaming if it affects you that much. As others said, people want to play with their friends. Period. Doesn't matter what system this is or what service it is or how much it costs.

StevieP

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
You act like MS was the first and only one to ever charge for console gaming when Sony and every other third party publisher in Japan charged for it last gen on the PS2. Sony has charged for online P2P gaming in the past, they can do it in the future. If people feel a service is worth paying for they will. If they don't feel it's worth paying for, they won't... then cry about it on message boards.

Stick to PC gaming if it affects you that much. As others said, people want to play with their friends. Period. Doesn't matter what system this is or what service it is or how much it costs.

Link.

Paying for p2p matchmaking is wrong no matter who does it.

McHuj

[Nintex] said:
Interesting, I still think they'll got with a seperate GPU because the Fusion products seem to be build for tablets and such. They smoke integrated intel solutions but the framerate for most games using the already released "Zacate" is sub 30fps. Krishna is the more powerful version so to speak but I doubt it'll be a significant leap over MS's current hardware.

It could be a Fusion type product and a dedicated GPU.

Off load the animations, physics, kinetct processing, and other non graphics compute intensive stuff to the integrated gpu cores while the dedicated GPU handles the graphics.

He also didn't say that its for MS explicitly. I could see Nintendo going with a low power Fusion chip. It would be a significant upgrade over the Wii and powerful enough probably to handle backwards compatibility.

G Rom

Couldn't AMD do like their Mobility GPU, take a desktop core and gimp it ? Only this time they would tweak it to make it better at the same time (ie: add faster RAM) ?
Current single mobile AMD GPU tops at a TDP of 75W with performances close to a desktop GTX 460.
Considering that 28nm will allow even more performance per watts, the TDP would be significantly lower by the time next-gen console are launched.

Anyway, anyone expecting GTX 580/680 level of performances in next-gen consoles needs to come back to reality. There's no way Microsoft or Sony would fit a ±250W monster in a reasonably small case. To put that in perspective, the power supply of the original Xbox 360 (Xenon) was "only" 203W...

Lonely1 said:
Because current top GPU's are noisy monsters that require huge amounts of power and cooling Area.

The current "monster" gpus of now will be much much cooler at 28nm. Also much cheaper. I could see the next microsoft console having a 69xx equivalent card just die shrunk.

If its fusion then it will prob be something with 1000-1200 shader units, 64 texture units etc.

G Rom

pooptacular said:
The current "monster" gpus of now will be much much cooler at 28nm. Also much cheaper. I could see the next microsoft console having a 69xx equivalent card just die shrunk.

If its fusion then it will prob be something with 1000-1200 shader units, 64 texture units etc.

28nm won't magically reduce the power consumption by a factor of 4. Even if AMD somewhat managed to halve the TDP of a desktop 69xx card, it would still be ±100W. Remember that they also need to get a beefy CPU in there, an ODD and an HDD among other things.

RaijinFY

G Rom said:
28nm won't magically reduce the power consumption by a factor of 4. Even if AMD somewhat managed to halve the TDP of a desktop 69xx card, it would still be ±100W. Remember that they also need to get a beefy CPU in there, an ODD and an HDD among other things.

I agree and i'm surprised that some people don't want to see it... Some of you are really thinking a GTX 580 in a closed environment box is possible?

Zabka

FoneBone said:
Not with how Kinect is selling.
This is what makes me think this is the next Nintendo console. The huge success of the Kinect alongside continuously improving 360 sales doesn't jive with suddenly asking for a CPU to be ready in a year (if I'm reading this correctly).

falconzss

kodt said:
I just hope next gen has a decent amount of RAM. It always seems they skimp on ram. 256MB-512MB Ram when PC's are running 2GB+ average.

Let's see at least 4GB ram and 2GB video ram in next gen systems. Seems like they could benefit from it with improved textures and resolutions.

I honestly don't see the need for 2GB ram on graphics cards at 1080p.

G Rom

I was thinking about something. What if Microsoft launched the next Xbox in 2012 and aimed it at the hardcore market during the first years while still maintaining the Xbox 360 Slim rebranded as the Kinect Box aimed at casual gamer.
As Wii showed us, most people don't care about graphics so a Kinect Box would be more than enough for that, especially if Nintendo aims at Xbox 360+/PS3+ graphics for their next console.
Furthermore, people buying consoles in the first years aren't the Wii/Kinect casual crowd so there's no point to go after that market with a 400$/€ console IMO.

They could sell the Kinect Box (with Kinect bundled) really cheap with only one 8/16 GB model at 149-199$ and have the next-gen Xbox sold at 299/399$€ with all the bells and whistles.

jonremedy said:
Lets talk power. I think the next Xbox will have a system TDP of less than 100 watt.

100W might be too low, the Xbox 360 Slim is at 135W for comparison. I think they will aim at 150-175W, which would be less than where Xbox 360/PS3 were at their respective launch (~200W).

falconzss said:
I honestly don't see the need for 2GB ram on graphics cards at 1080p.

2GB would most likely be a unified pool of RAM like the 512MB in the Xbox 360. 2GB would be useful for screen resolution, AA and AF but also for textures resolution which is an area that can be greatly improved compared to the current Xbox 360/PS3 situation...

miladesn said:
Based on comments by people like Chekib Akrout, of all the likely designs to be targeted at the XBox 720 product, we think there’s a good chance that it will be the AMD Krishna product. This will be produced on Global Foundries’ 28nm ‘high-k gate first’ process (originally introduced in 2007 by co-inventors IBM, Toshiba and, ironically, Sony). The only real technical challenge for the first XBox 360 consoles was heat/noise, for which the AMD Krishna product could be the answer.

The AMD Krishna is designed to be usable in netbooks and tablets. Krishna uses Bobcat cores that are "AMD's mobile architecture for netbooks, nettops and ultra mobiles." Who exactly is going to buy a nextgen console that is about on par with a cutting edge netbook or tablet?

Why the would MS be stupid enough to opt for a netbook/tablet cpu+gpu instead of using the Trinity APU that is designed for desktops and mainstream laptops and is using much much faster Bulldozer cores?

Consoles are designed to be plugged in at all times unlike netbooks and tablets. In addition, Trinity is a combined CPU+GPU in one so almost the entirety of the power draw from the 360 could go to the Trinity and that would be fine.

MS would be downright stupid to opt to use Krishna over Trinity, even if it delays launch by a few months to opt for the latter. Long term, it's not going to make much difference whether the system launches in Nov 2012 or March 2013, every new console these days is sold out and difficult to find for a few months anyway.

This console has to last till 2020, and a Netbook apu is just not going to pass muster.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FoneBone said:
Not with how Kinect is selling.

Who is Kinect sellign to though? If its the mainstream/casual market, they can still launch a new console for enthusiasts etc. Combine with a lower price for the kinect/Xbox bundle, might work well

The 360 was a noisy expensive powerhog at launch, it was using cutting edge gpu tech (unified shaders among others) that didn't show up in PC gpus for a few years. And this helps the 360 sell well, and made them mad profits There's little reason for them not to do the same thing again.

WrikaWrek

Banned
BboyDubC said:
I have information that a next gen console will be debuting next fall. My company just got commissioned for making a next gen cpu for one of the console makers, and they need us to push it so they can make launch of next fall. Not going to disclose any more than that.

Wii 2. I'm sure.

mrklaw said:
Who is Kinect sellign to though? If its the mainstream/casual market, they can still launch a new console for enthusiasts etc. Combine with a lower price for the kinect/Xbox bundle, might work well

That's a damn good point. All the weakass cpus and gpus that people are proposing, who's this console going to appeal to?

Casuals have no real incentive to upgrade. It's not like 360 and PS3 have bad graphics, and Kinect and Move already offer them anything that next gen motion controls could.

Tech enthusiasts (aka. early adopters) aren't going to be satisfied with a console that is a generation behind the upcoming competitors. And these are also often the same people that buy up the most games. This is a segment you don't want to lose to the competition.

Assuming that Microsoft or Sony make a significantly weaker console than the other, whichever competitor has the most technically advanced console will gobble up nearly ALL of the multiplatform game sales from multiconsole owners. And hardcore gamers (the ones that buy up ~10 games every year and fuel much of the profit, are almost always multiconsole owners). If you give up sales of multiplatform games from these people to your competitor by releasing a significantly weaker system, you're shooting yourself in the foot, with a shotgun.

Multiplatform games are Microsoft's bread and butter. Losing these sales to the PS4 is not a smart long term strategy. Because Nintendo opted to make a weaker console than compeitors, it has horrible multiplatform and third party game sales, so bad that third parties stopped making games for it for the most part. The Wii succeded because of motion controls and first party icons like Mario, not because of it's third party support. Third party sales, with the very occasional exception, are on life support.

Other than Nintendo staple titles, consumers had no interest in buying third party games on the Wii that look a generation behind games on the 360/PS3 games. Multiplatform sales were pathetic, and the weak graphics was a huge part of the reason why. Do you realize how much it would hurt Microsoft if they lost support from third party developers on account of being significantly behind the PS4 and PC.

pooptacular said:

Exactly. I swear the people here saying the next gen won't/doesn't need to even be on par with current high end gpus can't see past the year 2014.

If the next-gen consoles can't even keep up with today's gpus, do you have any idea how dated they will look by 2016, much less near the end of the console cycle in 2022 or so?

The PS4 in all likelihood will use Nvidia again, show up late 2014 and have Nvidia base the gpu on the monster Nvidia Maxwell architecture.

gtc2010_roadmap.jpg

That's what PC games and the PS4 games will be designed around from 2014-2022 or whenever the next gen ends. Microsoft if they were smart would opt to use something from AMD that is roughly on par, even if they have to wait till 2014 to do so. Microsoft can't afford to lose early adopters and tech enthusiasts that also happen to be the exact same people that buy the vast bulk of the games each generation, and they can't survive losing multiplatform game sales and third parties either.

Top Bottom