• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor (01.net): NGP loses RAM [Up: Sony: Don't Believe Everything You See Online]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiegel

swerve said:
There is a great deal of positivity in the 01.net article. Developers are very happy with the tools and the cross platform development environment. Sony are aiming to make it a top-tier/number one console and showing great enthusiasm towards developer tools. This is all said in the article.

Great news.

Rumor: NGP Specs Dowgraded, 2011 Release in Japan

The NGP will release this year in Japan and next year in the rest of the world according to 01.net, a French site tech with a history of reliably reporting leaked Sony information. That same site leaked accurate specs of the NGP weeks before the devices unveiling in January.

According to 01.net's information, non-3G models of the NGP will be priced competitively with the 3DS. Meaning we can expect that the low-end model will cost around $250-$300. In order to reach that price window some sacrifices had to be made. While earlier reports pegged the new handheld as sporting 512MB of RAM, the newest information suggests that Sony has cut that number in half to 256MB. In order to compensate for the loss, the company reduced the size of the OS footprint in memory. 26MB of the 256 is high-speed RAM that can be used for certain tasks that require quicker access to system memory. The 128MB of graphics memory are still in place; however the planned 16MB of internal flash memory have been removed in favor of cheaper external storage.

While none of this information has been confirmed by Sony, 01.net's track record with Sony information lends credence to their claims. One way or another, we'll find out at E3.

From 512MB RAM + 128MB VRAM to 256MB RAM + 128MB VRAM

Launch in Japan - December
NA and Europe - Q1 2012

http://www.1up.com/news/ram-cut-internal-memory-removed

Original source:

http://www.01net.com/editorial/5336...011-moins-puissante-et-moins-chere-que-prevu/

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It sucks, but I wonder how much since the VRAM isn't being cut. Still not a good thing as RAM is ALWAYS the 1st cock block for a system in terms of not having enough.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Huge downgrade if true.

but hey Sony while you are at it remove the fancy Oled screen too and give me NGP at $199.

Cartman86

Banned
Is internal storage more expensive than including a memory stick? Or does this imply they won't even include a memory stick?

Wow. 3DS launch sales (though I don't think price is the primary reason for those, personally) giving Sony cold feet in the specs department?

At $300, it'll struggle against 3DS, but it shouldn't be that long before Sony can drop the price, thanks to the heavy use of off-the-shelf components. More than $300, and it's dead in the water until a price cut.

So there is a new rumor puts forth information that claims specs were downgraded from a previous "rumor"?

This stuff isn't going to end is it? There is no such thing as a "downgrade" because the ram specs were never confirmed in the first place. I am insanely curious to if it even makes sense for them to release a console with less than 512 of ram.

Terrible rumor, I was hoping for release in US first, Im all set for it. Though if ram and internal storage is really saving costs, perhaps those that called for a $199-$229 NGP launch price will prove victorious.

That's a good thing in my book if it discourages too much asset sharing between NGP and home consoles and if the lower price makes it a more competitive product resulting in more pressure on the 3DS.

Elios83

Whatever it takes to have a SKU priced at 250$ it's a good thing IMO.
Moreover 256MB of system ram is the same of the PS3 with a smaller OS too.
128MB of VRAM was planned since the beginning, it's half of the PS3 video RAM and a pretty good amount for a system which has to output at less than 720p on a 5 inches screen.

Wait, they're claiming NGP will launch in Japan before the West? That makes no sense whatsoever, considering the current strength of the PSP market there.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Smart move. 3DS is going slowly, but if Sony doesn't price the NGP competitively, the 3DS will still come out on top.

Sony's going for the kill. I agree with their decision.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Father_Brain said:
Wait, they're claiming NGP will launch in Japan before the West? That makes no sense whatsoever, considering the current strength of the PSP market there.
Perhaps their primary concern is ensuring they keep the Japanese audience.

Father_Brain said:

I'd say that it's important for them to get the system out in Japan as soon as possible so that Nintendo doesn't gain a big lead. Right now the 3DS is struggling so if Sony can get the PSP2 out and it takes off then that's going to put Sony in a really good position.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If they're actually retaining the VRAM, this isn't that large of a downgrade, since anything in the system RAM would have to be moved to the VRAM to be processed for visuals anyway, as they weren't using unified memory.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Seriously if they want to beat the 3DS they need that RAM this is always the biggest problem with consoles and or handhelds. Leave it in otherwise we will get games that are stripped down from the promises.

antonz

Nirolak said:
Perhaps their primary concern is ensuring they keep the Japanese audience.
Think this is very accurate. They do not want to lose the mindshare they have in Japan.
NA/EU they have little mindshare so its not a priority and they will work on building that mindshare. Far more important to not lose ground in Japan.

FoneBone

SolidSnakex said:
I'd say that it's important for them to get the system out in Japan as soon as possible so that Nintendo doesn't gain a big lead. Right now the 3DS is struggling so if Sony can get the PSP2 out and it takes off then that's going to put Sony in a really good position.
I guess I can see how keeping a strong position in Japan could be a higher priority, but I don't know how enamored Western publishers will be with that tactic.

antonz

KAL2006 said:
I believe this is true didn't this website get all the details right about NGP before
Yes they clearly had access to devkit materials with the level of information they put out on the NGP

Elios83

Dorfdad said:
Seriously if they want to beat the 3DS they need that RAM this is always the biggest problem with consoles and or handhelds. Leave it in otherwise we will get games that are stripped down from the promises.

Not really games won't be affected in any noticeable way also because the PS3 has 256MB of system memory.
What unfortunately will be affected is the speed at the OS level, so multitsking applications, web browsing and such.

methodman

Banned
Deadly Joker said:
What the fuck? I think it's a huge mistake, if NGP doesn't come out this fall in America. Not a good idea.

this fall is when the 3ds will finally be releasing some hard-hitters. ngp needs to release this year in america IMO

wrowa

SolidSnakex said:
Agree. Trying to build up on the PSP's current popularity in Japan is most important to Sony and can really help them against the underperforming 3DS.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Isn't this the direct opposite of the previous rumors that North America would get it first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom