• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible 3DS e-Shop line-up/features revealed

e_i said:
Really? I thought 3D classics were remakes of the old GB games? What are the 3D classics anyway?

They are games from the NES/SNES era that are being remade in 3D. Think Super Mario Bros with Mario in the foreground and the clouds in the background.

It is NOT the 3DS version of the virtual console.

Edit: Beaten.

Big One

Banned
3D Classics could be anything, really. So far, what has been shown is a bunch of Nintendo games...and I remember seeing the arcade version of Xevious too. So yeah there'll probably be a variety of systems, including handheld games.

List of 3D Classics showcased last E3:

Mario Bros.
Tennis
Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Musasame
Punch-Out!!
Excitebike
NES Open Golf
Twin Bee
Super Mario World
Kirby's Adventure
Mega Man 2
Castlevania
Urban Champ
Kid Icarus
Yoshi's Island
Smash Ping Pong

Notice that these are not Gameboy / Color / Game Gear / Turbografx games. (If you see familiar names, know that the versions shown at E3 were NES / SNES.)

Fine.

The process of converting a game into 3D is the most arduous in the industry, and I am insanely thankful on the behalf of everyone else for 2D games (even if I won't be buying them).

And I accept that I am a whining entitled bitch, but only insofar that I may cling to my opinion that I expected a company employing thousands of people to have more games converted for launch (which i'm pretty sure does not take over a year to hack 3D effects into some old ROMs).

At the very least allow this whining bitch to have a free upgrade if they release a 3D version later and the option to transfer his Wii VC content over. Buying content twice is my biggest concern of all, and if people cannot accept that then the digital industry is forever lost.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Fine.

The process of converting a game into 3D is the most arduous in the industry, and I am insanely thankful on the behalf of everyone else for 2D games (even if I won't be buying them).

And I accept that I am a whining entitled bitch, but only insofar that I may cling to my opinion that I expected a company employing thousands of people to have more games converted for launch (which i'm pretty sure does not take over a year to hack 3D effects into some old ROMs).

At the very least allow this whining bitch to have a free upgrade if they release a 3D version later and the option to transfer his Wii VC content over. Buying content twice is my biggest concern of all, and if people cannot accept that then the digital industry is forever lost.

I think we can all agree with that. I sure hope Nintendo doesn't have a "3D fee" of some sort. Especially if they release the 3D versions AFTER the 2D versions.

I NEED SCISSORS said:

They can't "hack 3D effects into some old ROMs." If they did, you wouldn't want to play them. You'd boot up the game and say "what the hell is this shit?!" because there'd be only two layers of 3D effect with bits and pieces floating randomly all over the place, not aligning properly with foreground / background.

They basically have to remake the game from scratch to do it right, which can and does take over a year, when you're remaking 10+ games.

SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
I think we can all agree with that. I sure hope Nintendo doesn't have a "3D fee" of some sort. Especially if they release the 3D versions AFTER the 2D versions.

here's a solution: don't release the 2D version. you (the consumer) would be pissed since you would have to pay the 3D fee, but at least you get a 2D option. Nintendo? *notmyproblem.jpg*

BooJoh

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Over a year to add 3d to some old ROMs? Probably not that hard for thousands of people. Guess they should've just put all their eShop/Firmware/Retail/Wii/DS/Cafe/other game dev on hold to make sure all 3DS VC games were 3d.

I wouldn't count on free upgrades, but I'm not sure how likely it'll be for a game to show up on VC and then later on 3D classics. As for transferring your WiiWare VC, so far the only overlap between the two services is TG16, and I wouldn't really count on the ability to transfer/share from Wii.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
If you're expecting a lot of games to show up as 3D Classics, you're up for disappointment. As UncleSporky said, it's not a straightforward process and it takes time. It's not just a matter of dumping a ROM and slapping a 3D effect, because such a thing as a universal 3D effect you can slap on games doesn't exist.

So, they'll likely focus on their big hitters and a handful of games especially easy to convert.

NateDrake

Sorry if old:

Source

Pokédex 3D, featuring all of the new Pokémon from the recent Pokémon Black and White games, will allow users to look up information about more than 150 Pokémon and their moves, all for free. It will make use of SpotPass and Augmented Reality.

Players start with 16 Pokémon and can unlock the remaining Pokédex entries by scanning QR Codes, using SpotPass (up to three random Pokémon a day), or by trading data with friends, likely via StreetPass.

Users will be able to view each Pokémon in 3D, and rotate them a full 360 degrees. The Pokédex features filters and bookmarking capabilities as well.

The app will use the 3DS' built-in Augmented Reality capabilities to display Pokémon in pictures taken via the 3DS Camera.

Screens:
5.jpg

1.jpg

More at the source

Mega Man

UncleSporky said:
List of 3D Classics showcased last E3:

Mario Bros.
Tennis
Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Musasame
Punch-Out!!
Excitebike
NES Open Golf
Twin Bee
Super Mario World
Kirby's Adventure
Mega Man 2
Castlevania
Urban Champ
Kid Icarus
Yoshi's Island
Smash Ping Pong
I'd really like to see Super Metroid at some point since I never had a chance to play that classic much like OoT. Mega Man 2 will be a day one purchase for me tho. How are the payments gonna be handled other than Credit Card? DSiWare cards even for 3DS?

Mega Man said:
I'd really like to see Super Metroid at some point since I never had a chance to play that classic much like OoT. Mega Man 2 will be a day one purchase for me tho. How are the payments gonna be handled other than Credit Card? DSiWare cards even for 3DS?

Nope.
They're moving to cash. So you can buy cash cards ($10 and $20).

Also, the Pokedex should get its own topic.

NateDrake said:
Sorry if old:

Source

Screens:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/26460/4/5.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/26460/4/1.jpg[IMG]

More at the source[/QUOTE]
ramping up for the next Pokemon I see.

GeekyDad

AceBandage said:
Then... don't buy 2D games?
I don't see the problem here outside of just wanting to bitch about something.

Yeah, it's kind of evident you don't see the problem. I don't think he was bitching at all. He was merely pointing out that Nintendo is further confusing consumers about the benefits of 3DS by releasing a shit ton of 2D games at the launch of its online store. I tend to agree.

Clear now?

Mega Man

AceBandage said:
Nope.
They're moving to cash. So you can buy cash cards ($10 and $20).

Also, the Pokedex should get its own topic.
Hmmm so I assume when we access the 3DS eShop virtual console section it will be filled with similar content but must be purchased by a completely different source (unless using a CC). And I know you can transfer from DSi

well, Nintendo did mention that they will be in a separate catagory from the Virtual Console. so it should make more sense when you enter the shop

KamenSenshi

Pokedex is an awesome idea to get kids taking their systems with them. "collecting" Pokemon everyday just by walking around? Sign me up.

NateDrake said:
Sorry if old:

Source

Screens:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/26460/4/5.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/26460/4/1.jpg[IMG]

More at the source

More at the source[/QUOTE]
If they could get whoever voices the Pokedex on the cartoon to read out the descriptions to you that thing would be the best thing ever.

[QUOTE=UncleSporky]List of 3D Classics showcased last E3:

Mario Bros.
Tennis
Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Musasame
Punch-Out!!
Excitebike
NES Open Golf
Twin Bee
Super Mario World
Kirby's Adventure
Mega Man 2
Castlevania
Urban Champ
Kid Icarus
Yoshi's Island
Smash Ping Pong

Notice that these are not Gameboy / Color / Game Gear / Turbografx games. (If you see familiar names, know that the versions shown at E3 were NES / SNES.)[/QUOTE]
Out of all of those I think Punch Out!! has the most potential to get the most out of the 3D, that game would just look amazing in 3D. I really wish they had of ported the Wii Punch Out to the 3DS.

liking the look of the pokedex and cant wait till gaf posts ALL the QR codes in like a day......itll be cool to run it tandem with a pokemon gray or whatever....but cool little app none the less

Teknoman

The classic NES Excitebike is heading to the eShop with 3D graphics and the ability to save dozens of self-created tracks.

Oh snap.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Teknoman said:
The classic NES Excitebike is heading to the eShop with 3D graphics and the ability to save dozens of self-created tracks.

Oh snap.

3 Dozens even!

GeekyDad said:
Yeah, it's kind of evident you don't see the problem. I don't think he was bitching at all. He was merely pointing out that Nintendo is further confusing consumers about the benefits of 3DS by releasing a shit ton of 2D games at the launch of its online store. I tend to agree.

Clear now?
Since when is two games a "shit ton"? And it'd have to be a completely moronic consumer to be confused when they open up the store and see two sections, "2D Virtual Console" and "3D Classics", and wonder why the games in the Virtual Console aren't 3D.

Rlan

Alleyway and Super Mario Land rated by the ESRB

Alleyway is sweet. Honestly surprised that Nintendo didn't bring it back for a DSiWare title or something.

Excitebike better be free in Europe too.

Bought my 3DS two days ago, june 6th is going to be awesome, june 17th is going to be even more awesome.

Rich!

Rlan said:
Alleyway and Super Mario Land rated by the ESRB

Alleyway is sweet. Honestly surprised that Nintendo didn't bring it back for a DSiWare title or something.

Alleyway was a great game - but I'll be damned if I pay a penny more than £1.99 for it. Let's hope the prices are reasonable...

Edit - I'm hoping for a true port of DKC 1, 2 and 3 to the 3DS. I don't care if it's 3D or not (although DKC2 in 3D would be...incredible).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
richisawesome said:
Alleyway was a great game - but I'll be damned if I pay a penny more than £1.99 for it. Let's hope the prices are reasonable...

Edit - I'm hoping for a true port of DKC 1, 2 and 3 to the 3DS. I don't care if it's 3D or not (although DKC2 in 3D would be...incredible).

Make it the Donkey Kong Land series, redone with colour, and in 3D.. then we're talking.

I didn't know the game was called alleyway. I always thought it was arkanoid (yes, I know now that it's Taito's title); nevertheless, I love it. Will buy!

Rich!

Mockingbird said:
I didn't know the game was called alleyway. I always thought it was arkanoid (yes, I know now that it's Taito's title); nevertheless, I love it. Will buy!

Yeah, alleyway was Nintendo's clone (couldn't use the arkanoid title for obvious reasons).

alleyway_(11).jpg

pramath

Banned
Looks like it's gonna be a sweet launch... or well, I'd say that if we knew for sure what all Nintendo was planning on releasing with the launch of the eShop, and, well, we don't.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I doubt you'll be buying much from virtual handheld. I predict $5 for Original GB, $8 for GBC, and $10 for GBA.
It'll be $5 for both GB & GBC, $8 for GBA. $8 for VB, if that happens too.

For 3rd party systems probably $5 for GG, $6 for TG16 & NGPC and $8 for WS/C.

Top Bottom