• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First screen of Wii U Zelda HD [Update: Offscreen Footage]

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dacvak said:
I recorded some off-screen footage earlier today. Please excuse the silly commentary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkCIJGTe_U

untitled-1h886r8gc.jpg

No other info so far.

edit: better pic, thanks jett.

1080p version: http://h5.abload.de/img/untitled-1h886.jpg

edit2: note that this was not any kind of announced game for the Wii U, but part of the promo reel for the Wii U. Nor was it mentioned as a game of any kind during the conference. So who knows what this will turn out to be. :p

edit3: Reggie just said on GTTV that this Zelda demo is "an experience that is meant to show what the Wii U can do...the Zelda team is always working on new things. It's what Zelda could look like."

edit 4: Kotaku has a hands on: http://kotaku.com/5808706/weve-played-nintendos-new-wii-u-the-next+generation-of-motion-control

This is the demo that may shrieks of delight, heart palpitations and flowing tears of joy from the Nintendo fan: The Legend of Zelda in brilliant high-definition with a sense of visual clarity and detail unlike anything the series has ever seen.

(Before those Nintendo fans set expectations to impossibly stratospheric, please note that Nintendo said this Zelda demo, sporting a Twilight Princess artistic sensibility, was only a demonstration. There were many "ifs" and "maybes" in this "Wouldn't it be cool if we did this?" presentation, but no promise of an actual game.)

The Zelda demo re-imagined the Temple of Time from Twilight Princess and Link's battle with Armogohma, a ghastly, colossal spider boss monster. Not playable, but interactive, I watched as Link stepped onto a polished marble floor, his reflection sharply visible as light from stained glass windows danced on its surface. The fairy Navi appeared as a softly glowing orb of light. We could see the stitching in Link's tunic, the leatherwork of his boots and sheath in detail. Smoke pouring from flaming braziers was lit with a soft orange glow.

I was handed the New Controller. On its screen were three buttons and a map of the Temple of Time. One of those buttons switched the lighting from daytime to nighttime, showing that the demo was dynamically lit. Another changed the demo's camera angle to offer dramatic new perspectives. A third swapped the displays of the television and the touchscreen controller. I could watch Link's battle play out on an HDTV or on the smaller, more intimate controller's display, switching back and forth with a tap of the screen.

Forkball

Yeah misleading title, it's obviously just a tech demo and not a real game. That spider is in Twilight Princess.

Striek

1080p is nice. But uhh I'm not sure I'm impressed with the actual graphics. Fantastic they're going back to the realistic style though.

Magnus

People are going to lynch you over that thread title. The game wasn't announced, and I think Reggie specifically said that a lot of what was shown before the developer/game title reel was just conceptual stuff.

Obviously a Zelda HD will exist, but yeah, I wouldn't take this to be a game announcement.

jett

D-Member
That picture is clearly upscaled from 720p, here it is in its native resolution:

untitled-1h886r8gc.jpg

If WiiU can't deliver games in 1080p then its not that much more powerful than PS360.

JCreasy

jett said:
That picture is clearly upscaled from 720p, here it is in its native resolution:

untitled-1h886r8gc.jpg

If WiiU can't deliver games in 1080p then its not that much more powerful than PS360.

cut_B06_07-800.jpg

Striek

jett said:
We've yet to have any real indications its _as_ powerful as the current consoles, let alone more powerful.

Its going to windup somewhere in the ballpark as both though if its getting ports.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The lack of Skyward Sword info is disgusting.

As cool as it is to see Zelda in HD. If this is the best Nintendo can do graphics wise, I could not be more disappointed. That looks terrible graphically. It's laughable how bad that looks.

JWong

Banned
Yeah, that's definitely not a new Zelda.

Skyward Sword isn't even out yet. Nintendo doesn't announce games like that.

zychi

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
The lack of Skyward Sword info is disgusting.
what do you want? it has motionplus, its zelda, its coming out in november. nintendo doesnt show much to avoid ruining the story. look at the first trailer, fanboys dug into the trailer and made up some story based on images on people that were in old games.

jett

D-Member
Striek said:
We've yet to have any real indications its _as_ powerful as the current consoles, let alone more powerful.

I'm only going off by what Nintendo has released, and this is pretty much it for now. :p Clearly this tech demo is running natively at only 720 with no AA.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
regardless of what you all say Im buying one DAY 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the direction this is going. Finally I can console game around my house without a console needing to be in the room!!!

Major 3rd party support and Big games like BF3 and Batman are coming for it! SOLD!!!!!!!!

I think if it truly looks like that in motion...I will buy the damn system to play it.

But as has been stated, Zelda Gamecube ended up being cel-shaded...

Cat in the Hat said:
As cool as it is to see Zelda in HD. If this is the best Nintendo can do graphics wise, I could not be more disappointed. That looks terrible graphically. It's laughable how bad that looks.

In the same way that the Zelda GC demo wasn't the best the GC could do, this isn't the best the WiiU can do.

Top Bottom