• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

RedSwirl

IceDoesntHelp said:
Well thank you once again :D
Splendid work yourself, I've never played any of the soul games, and not sure I'll ever get the chance. Love the "You Died" on the back.

Looks great!

Just finished this one. Needed some more Gamecube love. I LOATHE the Gamecube on the spine on the first.
Spine:

No Spine:

Yes, it does say The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker in Hylian on the spine.

How'd you get the 3D template to work with Gamecube dimensions (which are slightly different from standard DVD)?

RedSwirl said:
How'd you get the 3D template to work with Gamecube dimensions (which are slightly different from standard DVD)?
You know, I honestly have no idea. It just worked. I used a Gamecube template and the PC 3D template.
By my calculations (side by side comparison IRL) they're pretty close in dimensions, I think Gamecubes is a tiny bit thicker and a tiny bit longer.

RedSwirl

IceDoesntHelp said:
You know, I honestly have no idea. It just worked. I used a Gamecube template and the PC 3D template.
By my calculations (side by side comparison IRL) they're pretty close in dimensions, I think Gamecubes is a tiny bit thicker and a tiny bit longer.

What CS are you using? I'm using CS2.

Dreweyes

Here's my design for the Prince of Persia Collection. Took me about 3 1/2 hours to draw.
What do you guys think?

Click to download if you would like to use!

Dreweyes said:
Here's my design for the Prince of Persia Collection. Took me about 3 1/2 hours to draw.
What do you guys think?

Click to download if you would like to use!
Dammit man, stop outdoing me d:

I did one for Battlefield 3. I'd say it turned out okay.

Throavium

My cover for Gears of War 3.

http://www.box.net/files#/files/0/f/83230064/1/f_936449872

23940846.jpg

Okay, I finished this one up today. Took a lot longer then I would have hoped.
This is for us poor saps who couldn't get Metroid Prime Trilogy.
EDIT: Decided to take away the part on the back.

I've started Metroid Prime 1 and 2.

Jzero15 said:
guys what am i doing wrong, when i run the script i get this
j0zAd.png
Probably not the right size, and/or you probably don't have a back cover to go with the front cover.

Anyways, here's Metroid Prime 2. As usual you have two choices.

Spine:

No Spine:

bigdaddygamebot said:
Haha thanks.
Well I finished up Metroid Prime, and I am now officially done with the Metroid series. Not exactly sure what I'll do next. Gonna take a break till Monday or so.

Spine:

No Spine:

You have no idea how hard it is to find Metroid Prime artwork that's at least a decent size, if you can find any at all.

rj118

Those Metroid Prime ones are incredible. Might force me to go out and buy a much-needed set of ink cartridges, in fact.

Nizz

Are any of you guys willing to do requests? Was hoping someone would use the original artwork but using the new PS3 logo/banner on top.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
The Orange Box
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

The same original cover, just with the new PS3 logo. I've been looking all over and can't find decent ones. Would be grateful if someone tackled these. :)

Jzero

Since i failed at making one, can someone make one with this image? i don't care what you put on the back just make it look nice. thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/5pEyb.jpg

Dreweyes

Thought about making a PS3 Cover for Journey. Anyone else be interested in that?
It's a downloadable game, but I think the artwork is so cool it could be a really cool case.

Yeah I think its fine to have covers for downloadable games. Gives you something tangible to say you've got the game :p I printed a Sonic 4 cover off before it came out :)

Edit: Made a new one. Been a while. Twilight Princess tiem!

7DhS3.png

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?cj3qle1q6jjozdz

Yeah, the image is flipped making Link a 'righty' but he couldn't very well sit on the back cover. :p

And Metroid Other M:

OKbUR.png

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?3m58ml28xp58wxw

And Mario Sports Mix:

s6l0e.png

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?a5qbakr6eywqa3g

Aaaand DKCR:

xLzzD.png

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?gs60baw4lcdlnoo

Galdelico

Seriously, if you guys (Android, alr1ghtstart, Ice... Just to name the latest I've seen) should do this job for real, I'd probably buy 3x/4x the games per month I already normally get.

I mean... Some alt covers are nothing less than STUNNING, true masterpieces.
Man, I'm kind of shocked.

Oemenia

Banned
Slightly off-topic, but is there a good scan of PAL BlazBlue Continuum Shift. I have the LE, and i dont like the cover of it, but at the same time i cant find a scan on the internet for the normal edition.

Mithos

demosthenes said:
Mithos said:
After the official reveal of the reversible cover for Ico & SotC HD Collection.

WGZG5.png

Left: US version - Right: EU version (according to EU Playstation blog).

Sony logos on Europe version and spine design not so good.

So decided to remake the US version, but with smaller logos though.
f21d4694a1369f62de34d7276eeb443aeb57f6ecd8398c14190c15b172a485076g.jpg

Edit: Link to download temporary removed, spine looks very pixelated.

Mithos, this going to be fixed?

UPDATE:
If you don't think it's to much cheating ^^, here is the Ico & SotC cover but with a black spine instead of the official greenish one.

eec579a0e3c76640d5e270623905f041014c2ecc4cdbf4a8bb94717575529f306g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?clu7na25m2qh88r

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
ITT no one has any favorite games from before the PS2 gen.

I like the idea of sites like The Cover Project, but their communities' chosen templates are fuckin' gross. Look at this hot mess:
snes_supermetroid_2_thumb.jpg

It'd be totally rad if you guys could take a stab at some of this older stuff, too. I'd love to order a mess of these and fill my shelf with classic games with covers of the caliber of the work in here.

3DS Template:

It's basic and it uses the PAL dimensions but someone with a US box and a ruler could easily make a US-sized one.

Zelda: OOT 3D cover made with it:

Dead or Alive Dimensions:

Ridge Racer 3D:

Thanks for the praise guys! Means a lot :D

Here's Epic Mickey.
Again, two choices.

Logo:

Can't find this one. I'll look for it in a bit.
No Logo:

AniHawk

just putting this out there: a lot of these aren't being designed as box arts. the same problem happened in the magazine thread where people essentially started making posters. the issue here is that while magazine ads are mostly one page long, and usually lack a backside, box arts are actually two sided. that's what makes mik's nba 2k12 so good. it takes something else that has two sides, and applies it in a different way. the fact that the nba 2k games have been trying to use basketball stars from yesteryear only strengthens the concept.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AniHawk said:
just putting this out there: a lot of these aren't being designed as box arts. the same problem happened in the magazine thread where people essentially started making posters. the issue here is that while magazine ads are mostly one page long, and usually lack a backside, box arts are actually two sided. that's what makes mik's nba 2k12 so good. it takes something else that has two sides, and applies it in a different way. the fact that the nba 2k games have been trying to use basketball stars from yesteryear only strengthens the concept.
I'm.. I'm not quite sure what your trying to say here. Do you simply dislike the concept of an image stretching over to the back unless it has something significant on it?

Kind of off the wall, but are there any Blu-ray templates online? They're the same dimensions as the PS3 templates, but the side labels are smaller than PS3 side labels.

enzo_gt said:
I'm.. I'm not quite sure what your trying to say here. Do you simply dislike the concept of an image stretching over to the back unless it has something significant on it?

Maybe. Perhaps his issue is more with the fact that the minimialist covers are a "giant poster" and there's nothing that "classifies" them as a game cover, there is no title bar or back matter as traditional covers usually have.

If I want to enter this contest, I think I'm going to have to do UMvC3 and/or God of War: Origins. All the other games I was working on or have added to my "no cover, I should make one since I own it now...ICO/SotC and Dark Souls are well handled; I suppose I could try my hand at Deus Ex, but there's already at least 2 of those.

I've been trying to keep mine minimal whilst still being 'box arts'. I've tried to keep the logo prominent and quite large where possible, and kept the spine informative. I don't think the back not having a blurb or screenshots hurts it in most cases. I'm sometimes unsure whether or not to add company logos, though.

demosthenes said:
Android, that's awesome, could you do Singstar Queen :D?

Yes. I'll start on it now. I found my blank Singstar template :D

Top Bottom