• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Melia's Burst abilities are crazy for slowdown.

Gvaz said:
No i mean there's an ability that forces the players to attack a target. Reyn has the same ability iirc. So short of that I don't know what to suggest other than doing it myself.
Lock-on is what you are referring to (as in enemy casts it on you, you have to fight that enemy). I thought Dunban has an arte to do that, Ryen might too, though I thought agro in general was more his thing. Though Dunban really isn't a good suggestion for that boss due to the reason of
Ether based damage from enemies; Dunban is physical dodge (I suppose Ether Protect gem works too) but more importantly the enemies themselves have much higher physical than Ether defence so Ether based artes are preferred.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
Indeed. I find Melia to have the 'smartest' AI, and I actually have control of Riki in most fights. Thanks to his area heal, a lot of positional attacks, high HP and status attacks, I enjoy him a bunch. Battles take a bit longer, but I'll almost never fall when in control of him.
Last character seems to have the best AI, just doesn't use the topple attack when it's available for some reason.

I hate letting the AI use Melia because she just stands around like an idiot with some elemental floating over her head. Almost never fires them off.

ivysaur12

Banned
chaosblade said:
Last character seems to have the best AI, just doesn't use the topple attack when it's available for some reason.

I hate letting the AI use Melia because she just stands around like an idiot with some elemental floating over her head. Almost never fires them off.

Yeah, I do hate that about her.

Does her "white attack" (I forget what they're called) get stronger as it fills up? Or does it not matter?

Gvaz

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Yeah, I do hate that about her.

Does her "white attack" (I forget what they're called) get stronger as it fills up? Or does it not matter?
Melia? Burst mode does like double damage to dispelled arts, iirc

Leeness

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I had her down to a sliver. Like, probably two summon thunder would have finished it. Then everyone died and I couldn't get them up in time. My heart is broken right now I'm going jogging to work off my disappointment :( :( :(

NEXT TIME YOU UGLY BITCH. NEXT TIME

thomaser

Finally got the game for myself after getting a second shipment to my store. Have played for 12 hours or so, and just came to
Colony 6.
It's just glorious so far, and I have a feeling it will just become better and better. I never thought I'd even think this, but Zelda Skyward Sword has to be REALLY stellar in order to be Wii-game of the year. It probably will be in the end, but Xenoblade Chronicles... what a game!

M-PG71C

hiro4 said:
I'm at the point before Prison Island and I'm level 44. Most enemies don't even attack me at Eryth Sea.
Tried to do Challenge 4 yesterday and he kicked my ass, mostly due to Spike damage.

I wouldn't say your are underleveled but a few levels extra won't hurt you.

I think you're right, I may go back to Eyrth Sea and grind a bit and do some quests. I just want to move on so badly though lol, I want to see the next part. :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
chaosblade said:

Are you fighting a single monster?

The AI for all characters refuses to use AOE attacks, no matter how awesome they are, if they are only fighting one monster.

Oxx

I just hope I can finish the game and get some cool-down time before Skyward Sword.

On a related note, I'm quite impressed that I haven't had to get fresh batteries for the Wii remote yet since I have started playing Xenoblade.

Oxx said:
I just hope I can finish the game and get some cool-down time before Skyward Sword.

On a related note, I'm quite impressed that I haven't had to get fresh batteries for the Wii remote yet since I have started playing Xenoblade.

I've been playing the game for 100 hours and only had to change the batteries once while using the CC. Crazy.

EvilMario said:
Indeed. I find Melia to have the 'smartest' AI, and I actually have control of Riki in most fights. Thanks to his area heal, a lot of positional attacks, high HP and status attacks, I enjoy him a bunch. Battles take a bit longer, but I'll almost never fall when in control of him.

definitely. I also find Riki to have an excellent AI. Surrounded by enemies? He activates Burninate and Bedtime in this order, so they keep getting damage while asleep. Big ugly Unique? He activates Play Dead and Angry. Unique mauling my main? He goes all Roly Poly and Bitey Bitey. Practically perfect!

I'm at 135 hours now, level 86/85 and still with a fair few sidequests to finish up
Thinking I might just go ahead and complete the story, that way I have undiscovered endgame content to look forward to (TC etc) on my second playthrough, which I plan to do once I get a good PC this year so I can emulate it with prettier graphics

edit: considering the point of no return is so obvious, im just gonna make a save before there and go back and do the end quests in my free time \o/

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bel Marduk said:
Really? What about stuff like Titan Stamp?

AOE attacks like that generally cannot be avoided unless the level difference between you and the unique is significant.

There are many attacks that cannot be avoided no matter what, though: for example, the Laser attack (single attack) from the lv, 105 unique in Jifum Beach, or the flame attack (AOE) from the lv. 120 unique in Valak Mountain.

For occasions such as this, Monado's Armor is a must. In fact, the said flame attack, since it is just too damaging and affect the entire party, *cannot* be survived unless you use Monado's Armor or Unbeatable gems.

So in order of importance I think Armor is more important than Shield, since all Talent Arts (those with numbers behind them) affect single party member only, while there are many highly damaging *cannot be avoided* attacks where Armor plays a much more important role.

Dynedom

The
Two Brutes
quest seemed like it was going to be a giant pain in the ass (pun intended?) until I realized I just needed to spam the hell out of Aura Seal (with Shulk).
Firework Geldesia
was definitely the more annoying out of the 2 (f'ing Daze). (For the record, Shulk was 94 and I believe Dunban and Sharla were 93).

I guess I'm also in the minority in that my party for all the late quests have been Shulk/Dunban/Sharla. I rarely use Melia.

BlazingDarkness said:
I'm at 135 hours now, level 86/85 and still with a fair few sidequests to finish up
Thinking I might just go ahead and complete the story, that way I have undiscovered endgame content to look forward to (TC etc) on my second playthrough, which I plan to do once I get a good PC this year so I can emulate it with prettier graphics

edit: considering the point of no return is so obvious, im just gonna make a save before there and go back and do the end quests in my free time \o/

waiting for your opinion about endgame, man. To me, it was the perfect coronation of a magnificent game. i even shed a tear in the last cutscene :"(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The one party I think most people end up with in the final act is Shulk, Dunban, Final Character for the insane amount of regular damage and hilarious synergy and topple commands.

Final character's fifth skill tree+shulk is a thing of broken beauty.

Trying to finish off the timed quests on Bionis' Leg, but can't. None of the creatures I need to respawn, will respawn. Rather frustrating.
Edit: Well Vagrant Alfead finally respawned, just gotta wait on Violent Andante...

Anasui Kishibe said:
reload son, to the end of time
But I have been ;_;

Probably should give my first update. I'm 21 hours in and I'm on my way to Prision Island. About half way done searching through the Marsh (best looking marsh in a game amirite?), and I'm level 32. Having fun taking the Mount Torta's out for the count.

137 hours, and I've completed it!!!

I wish I have more time to do all those endgame sidequests, but I start my new job this week and I just wanted to see the end of the story before I have little spare time

Such a stunning ending

Completely amazing game, my favourite game this generation, across all platforms
It's also the best RPG I've played (and most time I've put into one) since the PS1 Final Fantasies
Just awesome
And I'm pretty damn confident it won't be topped in a long time, it'll also be the game I measure others by
*bows*Xenoblade*bows*

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
chaosblade said:

The best solution to this I found was using the R-shoulder button to 'focus your attack' on one enemy. When I do this, she almost always fires off an element.

46 hours in now, characters around level 45. Just made it to
Sword Valley
and it looks awesome. Looking forward to completing it by this weekend, so I can start the rest of my extensive backlog; hopefully clearing a few games before Skyward Sword.

Gestahl

EvilMario said:
The best solution to this I found was using the R-shoulder button to 'focus your attack' on one enemy. When I do this, she almost always fires off an element.

Sword Valley
and it looks awesome. Looking forward to completing it by this weekend, so I can start the rest of my extensive backlog; hopefully clearing a few games before Skyward Sword.

Good luck with that.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gestahl said:
Good luck with that.

I actually have plenty of free time this week, so I'm hoping to plug in 5 hours Thursday and the same Friday, and go over board on Saturday and Sunday for all day play sessions. Here's hoping!

Anasui Kishibe said:
try reloading, it's pretty random actually. Also, try teleporting to other regions and then back, changing the time as well, it should do the trick
I tried all of the above multiple times, never showed up. So I gave up and started to reconstruct Colony 6. (it was only one side quest anyways) With my luck, he'll show up tomorrow, when I start it up.

Gvaz

Banned
EvilMario said:

Sword Valley
Based on your current progression, I'm gonna guesstimate at least another 20 hours for you.

Gvaz

Banned
Never played Xenogears (on my todo list) but this blows Xenosaga out of the water. I've played all the xenosaga games.

JJD

Gvaz said:
Never played Xenogears (on my todo list) but this blows Xenosaga out of the water. I've played all the xenosaga games.

Xenogears was fucking amazing back in the day. Even with all the second CD bullshit! One of my favorite RPGs ever!

Anyone knows a good gem crafting guide? I'm sitting on a ton of crystals...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
JJD said:
Xenogears was fucking amazing back in the day. Even with all the second CD bullshit! One of my favorite RPGs ever!

Anyone knows a good gem crafting guide? I'm sitting on a ton of crystals...

I'll make you one...RIGHT NOW:

MAN GOD'S GODLY GUIDE TO GEM CRAFTING 1.0

Things to consider before gem crafting:

Different people are good at different things: Shulk is decent all around, Reyn and Dunban are fantastic under certain conditions, and 7th and Riki, who seem almost useless at first, are the most important gem crafters imaginable.

Affinity and Levels matter: The higher the affinity, the more free bonus points you get. This can actually work against you in the very end, but I have a special combination to get around that. Basically though, you're going to want Max Affinity between all characters for the best chance of success.

Lets go over the basics first before we get into the three keys to success:

Crystals come from two sources, ether deposits and monsters. Both monsters and deposits have a possible list of possible gem parts that the crystal/cylinders will have on them, and each will be at a certain level and of course, a certain color. You can only combine level crystals that match in both level and color. It takes at least two crystals/cylinders to make a gem, and to successfully create a gem those two need to be at or above 100%. When you start the minigame it will randomly give you a fire heat and you'll get points added to a random crystal piece everytime. The better the character is with the fire, the more points you will get. When successfully crafted they will make a gem with a certain range of boosted stats. Two level one strength up crystals at 40 percent and 60 percent, for example will under normal circumstances make a level one Strength Up gem with a range of possible points added to strength.

Now how to make the most out of your gems?

1. Break your crystals down and level them up, aka the Price is Right Rule:

Crystals usually have more than one gem component on it and to make the best possible crystals you want single stat cylinders, and you want them as close to 100% as possible without going over.

The best way to break down gems?

a. Get a bunch of crystals with different low percentage stats on them. You can combine up to seven crystals or cylinders at once.
b. Use the seventh character in the first slot and riki in the second. 7th has a boost to the number of cylinders and riki is terrible at making gems.
c. Save, and then go for it! You want your important percentages to go up but remain below 100. Keep trying. Remember that if your level and affinity is really high you're sometimes going to get extremely unlucky and get a gem or two. Reset if you really wanted that particular gem.

2. Leveling up gems (Level your party first)

You know how you get a gem whenever the percentage goes over 100%? Well if it goes over 200% (Otherwise known as the HEAT state) you get a gem a level higher than the one you were going to make, and if you go to 300% or higher (MEGAHEAT) you get 2 Max Stat Gems of the next level! This is the key to success. If you follow step one you should get the right pieces of 70% or higher. If you combine two 80% gems for example, you only need 40 points to get heat and 140 to get megaheat. So how do we do that?

Early on in the game the best gem makers are going to be Shulk and Reyn because they have max affinity real easily and therefore, the most attempts to level up the gem. Heat is easy to do even from the beginning but Megaheat will probably take raising party affinity and level to decent amounts, especially when trying to make higher level gems. The absolute best combination for making megaheated gems is Reyn+Dunban or Dunban+Reyn with max affinity amongst the entire party. I did get Megaheat once with a level 2 gem when I was combining two 90% cylinders and had a decent run of luck.

3. How does Flame Strength and Fever Work?

Engineers' abilities affect the frequency of the different types of flame events that occur when the Shooter 'shoots' into the furnace:-

Strong Flame = Raise one quality a lot (AKA why Reyn+Dunban is so damn good at MEGAHEATing)

Medium Flame = Raise all qualities a bit (You want this when leveling up a ton of gems)

Gentle Flame = Raise cylinder count (Why 7th and Riki are so good at breaking down stuff)

Fever: Adds points to the shoot. You want this when going for megaheat, but sometimes the boost is too fierce for leveling. Shulk has an ability that makes fever more common.

Beat the game a couple weeks ago, but I really feel like replaying it. It seems a lot of you guys are having fun with the side quests. I personally didn't do any of them, so I do feel like I missed out.

Think it would be better to do a New Game+? Or just New Game? I'm thinking if I do a New Game+ I'll miss out on some quests on account of having the items already.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
IceDoesntHelp said:
I tried all of the above multiple times, never showed up. So I gave up and started to reconstruct Colony 6. (it was only one side quest anyways) With my luck, he'll show up tomorrow, when I start it up.

What unique monster you are trying for? Because some of them only appear during certain conditions.

Gvaz said:

I know that, objectively speaking, Xenoblade is a better game than Xenosaga 1, 2, or 3, but Xenosaga 3 always held a special place in my heart. And Allen x Shion
was a lot more interesting compared to Shulk x Fiora or Shulk x Melia or Reyn x Sharla.

By the time I finished Xenosaga 3, I felt like parting with a good friend.

PoorFate said:
Beat the game a couple weeks ago, but I really feel like replaying it. It seems a lot of you guys are having fun with the side quests. I personally didn't do any of them, so I do feel like I missed out.

Think it would be better to do a New Game+? Or just New Game? I'm thinking if I do a New Game+ I'll miss out on some quests on account of having the items already.

I would recommend a fresh new game, but if you are OCD about 100% completion, the reset affinities between party characters can be a pain in the ass to rebuilt.

ivysaur12

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
What unique monster you are trying for? Because some of them only appear during certain conditions.

I know that, objectively speaking, Xenoblade is a better game than Xenosaga 1, 2, or 3, but Xenosaga 3 always held a special place in my heart. And Allen x Shion
was a lot more interesting compared to Shulk x Fiora or Shulk x Melia or Reyn x Sharla.

By the time I finished Xenosaga 3, I felt like parting with a good friend.

You also had played 3 games and multiple years with the same characters.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
ivysaur12 said:
You also had played 3 games and multiple years with the same characters.

Yeah. During the course of 3 games (and other media/spin-offs) I got to know the characters really well and that's why by the end of the journey I felt very emotional.

No doubt, Xenosaga series was the most memorable JRPG experience during the PS2 era for me.

Gvaz

Banned
I played xenosaga 1, took a break, beat half of xenosaga 2, got mad, took a break, beat second half of 2, then immediately worked on xenosaga 3.

I will always hate namco for fucking that up.

Yeah, gameplay wise I think Xenoblade is better, but the Xenosaga games were still good.

I thought the ending for 3 was great. I think bittersweet would be a good way to describe it.

chaos' words at the end always gave me hope that they would inevitably make another game, but alas.

Leeness

Haha oops, didn't mean to do that...

Kept telling myself turn it off, don't want to finish it tonight, yet I just kept going haha. I didn't finish it, the final boss killed me (little low leveled cause I just ran through) but that was silly of me. Gonna have to do all the pre-boss battles, etc again.

Past the point of no return spoilers:
Haha what the heck Dickson. He's such an asshole. "I don't know why I kill everyone I wanted power, whatever see ya don't watch me die okay?"

And I agree with all the Xenosaga sentiment. I really did love them when I played them and 3 was awesome. I just think I shouldn't replay haha.

Zornica

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
AOE attacks like that generally cannot be avoided unless the level difference between you and the unique is significant.

There are many attacks that cannot be avoided no matter what, though: for example, the Laser attack (single attack) from the lv, 105 unique in Jifum Beach, or the flame attack (AOE) from the lv. 120 unique in Valak Mountain.

For occasions such as this, Monado's Armor is a must. In fact, the said flame attack, since it is just too damaging and affect the entire party, *cannot* be survived unless you use Monado's Armor or Unbeatable gems.

So in order of importance I think Armor is more important than Shield, since all Talent Arts (those with numbers behind them) affect single party member only, while there are many highly damaging *cannot be avoided* attacks where Armor plays a much more important role.

they may not be avoidable, but melia can use reflection, which makes here invincible for 5 seconds and reflects all the damage back to the unique. I highly recommend unsing this when fighting them whilst playing melia. remember: timing needs to be perfect because it's only 5 seconds! but cooldown is fairly short, which makes this art really neat.
(sadly that does not protect the entire party ofc)

mclem

boris feinbrand said:
I've noticed that as well. Damn I played about 25 hours now, and battery seems to be still full...

In total completion, I only had to change my Enerloops twice. And one of those was *right* before the final dungeon.

Nice touch - there's an in-game low battery warning. And it turns off during cutscenes so it doesn't obstruct your view.

Feep

Banned
SomeDude said:
One of my favorite game reviews gave it a 3/5 http://metavideogame.wordpress.com/2011/10/11/xenoblade-chronicles-a-poor-mans-epic/

Is that a pretty accurate review?

Before anyone disses this reviewer she gave xenogears and xeonosaga high remarks and called xenogears a better game than ff7.
Listen to this sentence. Seriously.
Vehemently criticize it we must for its ludomaniac tendency to cater to videogame sugar-junkies and their needs of excessive longevity, number of quests and achievements and customization and mechanics, inherited from such ludic antichrists as “Monster Hunter”, “World of Warcraft” or “Dragon Quest IX”.
This is awful, awful writing. It's like the author just reached for a thesaurus and went to town. Does he/she even know what a ludomaniac is? It doesn't make any sense in context.

JJD

Man God said:
I'll make you one...RIGHT NOW:

MAN GOD'S GODLY GUIDE TO GEM CRAFTING 1.0

Things to consider before gem crafting:

Different people are good at different things: Shulk is decent all around, Reyn and Dunban are fantastic under certain conditions, and 7th and Riki, who seem almost useless at first, are the most important gem crafters imaginable.

Affinity and Levels matter: The higher the affinity, the more free bonus points you get. This can actually work against you in the very end, but I have a special combination to get around that. Basically though, you're going to want Max Affinity between all characters for the best chance of success.

Lets go over the basics first before we get into the three keys to success:

Crystals come from two sources, ether deposits and monsters. Both monsters and deposits have a possible list of possible gem parts that the crystal/cylinders will have on them, and each will be at a certain level and of course, a certain color. You can only combine level crystals that match in both level and color. It takes at least two crystals/cylinders to make a gem, and to successfully create a gem those two need to be at or above 100%. When you start the minigame it will randomly give you a fire heat and you'll get points added to a random crystal piece everytime. The better the character is with the fire, the more points you will get. When successfully crafted they will make a gem with a certain range of boosted stats. Two level one strength up crystals at 40 percent and 60 percent, for example will under normal circumstances make a level one Strength Up gem with a range of possible points added to strength.

Now how to make the most out of your gems?

1. Break your crystals down and level them up, aka the Price is Right Rule:

Crystals usually have more than one gem component on it and to make the best possible crystals you want single stat cylinders, and you want them as close to 100% as possible without going over.

The best way to break down gems?

a. Get a bunch of crystals with different low percentage stats on them. You can combine up to seven crystals or cylinders at once.
b. Use the seventh character in the first slot and riki in the second. 7th has a boost to the number of cylinders and riki is terrible at making gems.
c. Save, and then go for it! You want your important percentages to go up but remain below 100. Keep trying. Remember that if your level and affinity is really high you're sometimes going to get extremely unlucky and get a gem or two. Reset if you really wanted that particular gem.

2. Leveling up gems (Level your party first)

You know how you get a gem whenever the percentage goes over 100%? Well if it goes over 200% (Otherwise known as the HEAT state) you get a gem a level higher than the one you were going to make, and if you go to 300% or higher (MEGAHEAT) you get 2 Max Stat Gems of the next level! This is the key to success. If you follow step one you should get the right pieces of 70% or higher. If you combine two 80% gems for example, you only need 40 points to get heat and 140 to get megaheat. So how do we do that?

Early on in the game the best gem makers are going to be Shulk and Reyn because they have max affinity real easily and therefore, the most attempts to level up the gem. Heat is easy to do even from the beginning but Megaheat will probably take raising party affinity and level to decent amounts, especially when trying to make higher level gems. The absolute best combination for making megaheated gems is Reyn+Dunban or Dunban+Reyn with max affinity amongst the entire party. I did get Megaheat once with a level 2 gem when I was combining two 90% cylinders and had a decent run of luck.

3. How does Flame Strength and Fever Work?

Engineers' abilities affect the frequency of the different types of flame events that occur when the Shooter 'shoots' into the furnace:-

Strong Flame = Raise one quality a lot (AKA why Reyn+Dunban is so damn good at MEGAHEATing)

Medium Flame = Raise all qualities a bit (You want this when leveling up a ton of gems)

Gentle Flame = Raise cylinder count (Why 7th and Riki are so good at breaking down stuff)

Fever: Adds points to the shoot. You want this when going for megaheat, but sometimes the boost is too fierce for leveling. Shulk has an ability that makes fever more common.

WOW man!!!

I really appreciate this!

Thank you, thank you very much! You're awesome!!! :)

Godly indeed!!!

mclem

SomeDude said:
One of my favorite game reviews gave it a 3/5 http://metavideogame.wordpress.com/2011/10/11/xenoblade-chronicles-a-poor-mans-epic/

Is that a pretty accurate review?

Before anyone disses this reviewer she gave xenogears and xeonosaga high remarks and called xenogears a better game than ff7.

Vehemently criticize it we must for its ludomaniac tendency to cater to videogame sugar-junkies and their needs of excessive longevity, number of quests and achievements and customization and mechanics, inherited from such ludic antichrists as “Monster Hunter”, “World of Warcraft” or “Dragon Quest IX”.

In other words: How *DARE* they put a *GAME* in there!?!

I mock, but, to be fair, it seems to be a very accurate review - by someone who cares about story above all. The people championing Xenoblade aren't doing so because the story is particularly phenomenal (I'd say it's good, with a few good twists, but it's no Shakespeare); they're doing it because the *gameplay* is new, refreshing, and exceptional.

The last lines call it "New and technically marvellous but fundamentally safe". I would argue that what it did to the gameplay is new, technically marvellous, and *by no means safe*. It took a huge risk in gameplay terms, it paid off, and - for whatever reason - that didn't resonate with the reviewer. It's a moderately safe storyline, I'll grant the writer that. But it was doing something very different, which seems to be outside his frame of reference.

Top Bottom