• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
artwalknoon said:
I don't think Nintendo is gonna launch the wii u with only one 1st party game in the form of a pack in tech demo. There has to be at least one headline 1st party title with probably 2 smaller titles for a total of 3 or so. I'm betting Pikmin 3 will be a launch title, along with some kind of minigame collection/tech demo, and one other Nintendo title, maybe SMBmii or some revived franchise out of left field.

After the 3DS, they're going to give the launch more of an omph as far as software goes.
We'll see a big title from them (I'm calling Metroid myself) and then a smaller game (new IP?)

guek

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I don't think Nintendo is gonna launch the wii u with only one 1st party game in the form of a pack in tech demo. There has to be at least one headline 1st party title with probably 2 smaller titles for a total of 3 or so. I'm betting Pikmin 3 will be a launch title, along with some kind of minigame collection/tech demo, and one other Nintendo title, maybe SMBmii or some revived franchise out of left field.

If the pack in is good enough, they wont need to launch with a big IP. Since this is a summer launch and not a spring launch, I think it'd be in their best interest to wait until at least fall to put out NSMB:M and Pikmin 3, if not wait until the holiday season proper.

edit: I should clarify that I don't think they have anything else big in the works aside from those two. Working off of known titles, that's what I predict. If there are other big IPs being worked on for 2012, they definitely have more options.

60_gig_PS3 said:
i would not be content with that. Really hoping for something at launch that does not have last-gen graphics.
bu bu but thats what the pikmin 3 and the new ip would be for ;(. Mind you truly my contentment has more to do with what I play ( it does have something to do with how it looks too, I won't lie and say graphics don't matter But i'm ok with the graphical update shown so far)

artwalknoon said:
It's pretty much a given that Nintendo is going to launch the system with at least one AAA title, because they've admitted the lack of one was what caused the 3DS to sell horribly until the price drop. It'd be strange for them to say that and then make the same mistake with the Wii-U.

watershed

Banned
guek said:
If the pack in is good enough, they wont need to launch with a big IP. Since this is a summer launch and not a spring launch, I think it'd be in their best interest to wait until at least fall to put out NSMB:M and Pikmin 3, if not wait until the holiday season proper.
But when does any hardware company not include at least one clear heavy hitter for a system launch? 3ds was probably the last one and look how that went. Gamecube before it with Luigi trying to take the lead but even that was perceived as being not a big enough 1st party title.

Especially after the 3ds launch there is no way Nintendo is gonna expect a pack in or minigame collection to sell the wii u. They will bring at least one big name. They're not gonna do the "let 3rd parties lead" strategy again and they're not gonna bank their launch on untested IPs or casual attractions alone.

guek

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
It's pretty much a given that Nintendo is going to launch the system with at least one AAA title, because they've admitted the lack of one was what caused the 3DS to sell horribly until the price drop. It'd be strange for them to say that and then make the same mistake with the Wii-U.

See, I think it'll be OK if the Wii U launches in late Summer, most likely August. The reasoning being they're going to want their big guns for the holiday which isn't too far away from launch. 3DS did fine at launch, it was the lack of software immediately afterwards that was the problem. I definitely don't think they're going to launch with Mario when they can do a big holiday marketing blitz only a few months later.

guek

Banned
artwalknoon said:
But when does any hardware company not include at least one clear heavy hitter for a system launch? 3ds was probably the last one and look how that went.

I was gonna say the wii, but I guess Zelda is a pretty big heavy hitter.

I kinda think nintendo is going to try to make their pack in games the new Wii Sports. Like I said though, they probably have a bunch of stuff in the works and I was just mainly talking about semi-confirmed games. I'm not saying I'd be surprised though if they did happen to have a big hitter at launch, it's just that the lack of one wouldn't surprise me either.

Javier

I'd say Sonic Generations WiiU is a safe bet for launch.

I'll also guess that Capcom will get Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (or whatever iteration of the game they have at that point) for WiiU launch, or at least during the first few months.

(Mega Man is exclusive to that version)

BurntPork

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
With AMD probably launching at least one 28nm GPU this year, how likely is it that Wii U's GPU will be on 28nm? I mean 40nm makes little sense in mid-late 2012. Then again the CPU is most likely going to be 45nm.
Not exactly. Fabs can have a ton of customers, and something like consoles would not be high on the list. AMD, NVidia, and ARM manufacturers would constrain supply so much that even Sony and MS would likely forgo 28nm in 2012. If AMD actually does launch a 28nm GPU this year, it'll be a paper launch. This is why it's extremely unlikely that we'll see MS or Sony launch before 2013.

That said, if Nintendo could find a different fab, it could be possible...

Dreamwriter said:
I'd say nil. Nintendo would have chosen the GPU at least a year ago, probably two.
Even if they chose it a year ago, it doesn't mean that they were restricted to what was commercially available. GPUs start being designed years in advance, which is why the 360's GPU had some tech that wasn't available until several months after it launched.

guek said:
NOPE. Highly doubt it. It'll be a couch game, and personally I'm OK with that.

I'm predicting for launch...

Pack-in Tech Demos
Darksiders 2
Lego City Stories
Killer Freaks from Outer Space (ubisoft will rush it to make the launch window)
Rabids games
Ghost Recon Online
Batman Arkham City
Ninja Gaiden 3
A sports game, maybe Madden
A racing game port, probably Dirt, along with possibly an Excite truck game
A movie license game port, probably Spider-man or Avengers

Edit:
I agree ace i think Nintendo themselves will have some real treats in store for launch.

By the end of 2012, we'll get:
Assassin's Creed port (a collection if we're lucky but probably just Revelations)
Metro Last Light
Aliens: Colonel Marines
Tekken Wii U
New Super Mario Bros. Mii
Pikmin 3

Fuck yeah, sounds like a great year to me. There'll be many more games we're currently unaware of to be revealed as well.

It's to be expected, at least at launch. I'll be pleased if the ports all run at 1080p at 60fps

I think its realistic to also expect couple of more Wii U versions of existing franchises (although you pretty much have it covered :p) and Im betting there will be at east one surprise new ip from a third party.

Edit:
I agree Ace, Nintendo are bound to have a few surprises for us.

Edit 2:
BurntPork said:
Not exactly. Fabs can have a ton of customers, and something like consoles would not be high on the list. AMD, NVidia, and ARM manufacturers would constrain supply so much that even Sony and MS would likely forgo 28nm in 2012. If AMD actually does launch a 28nm GPU this year, it'll be a paper launch. This is why it's extremely unlikely that we'll see MS or Sony launch before 2013.

That said, if Nintendo could find a different fab, it could be possible...

Even if they chose it a year ago, it doesn't mean that they were restricted to what was commercially available. GPUs start being designed years in advance, which is why the 360's GPU had some tech that wasn't available until several months after it launched.

If the U ends up with a super slick 28nm part (which is what I'm hoping), It would almost have to be because AMD convinced them to do it. I have a hard time seeing Nintendo Speccing this on paper with that level of tech and, If it was, Not with that kind of process in mind.
So i imagine AMD convinced them of the cost/power benefits 28nm affords, which in my conspiracy addled brain is why the E3 reveal was scaled back and its launching next year insted of this.

AceBandage said:
After the 3DS, they're going to give the launch more of an omph as far as software goes.
We'll see a big title from them (I'm calling Metroid myself) and then a smaller game (new IP?)

I would bet that this is some form of Metroid multiplayer prototype. It uses Miis to avoid premature announcement or due to lack of finished art assets, but the blatant Metroid imagery makes me think that it is intended for that purpose.

idwl

Metroid is not as big a franchise as you guys make it seem . It won't be a launch game and hopefully Nintendo let's it rest for a while. Now what they should use as a launch game is f-zero :p

Jorok Goldblade said:
I would bet that this is some form of Metroid multiplayer prototype. It uses Miis to avoid premature announcement or due to lack of finished art assets, but the blatant Metroid imagery makes me think that it is intended for that purpose.

Even though Peer doesn't seem to do it intentionally, you really see how responsive the controller is at the :17 mark.

idwl said:
Metroid is not as big a franchise as you guys make it seem .

At this point, the franchises that have the sales power are:

Mario (Team is working on 3D Land, unless there is a second team)
Mario Kart (Team is working on Mario Kart 7)
Zelda (Team just finished Skyward Sword)
Smash Bros. (Team is finishing Kid Icarus Uprising)
Pokemon (Sells handhelds, not consoles)

potentially: Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Wii Fit (sales power has to be proven over a hardware shift. I would imagine Wii Fit will get a sequel at launch, Wii Sports built in to the system)

BurntPork said:

360's Xenos GPU even had features not found in DirectX 10 and thus the R600.

idwl

Jorok Goldblade said:

potentially: Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Wii Fit (sales power has to be proven over a hardware shift. I would imagine Wii Fit will get a sequel at launch, Wii Sports built in to the system)
Nintendogs is over. That game was defintely a fad. I feel like Nintendo has run some of its huge franchises into the ground. Eg animal crossing. Loved the ds version. But not changing it up has made me lose interest in it. Look at the sales of the wii game compared to ds

AntMurda

Jorok Goldblade said:

I actually think Nintendo is experimenting with making that a "Smash Brothers" type third person shooter. You gather up Nintendo all-stars and put them in a new setting, third person shooter tournament.

Jorok Goldblade said:

Nintendo also has Rhythm Tengoku and Tomodachi Collection from their internal SPD team. And Animal Crossing from their internal EAD team.

There are also 2 different Mario teams at EAD. And there were two different Zelda teams at EAD.

idwl

AntMurda said:
I actually think Nintendo is experimenting with making that a "Smash Brothers" type third person shooter. You gather up Nintendo all-stars and put them in a new setting, third person shooter tournament

That sounds so good that Nintendo would never do it :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Thunder Monkey said:
Wait what?

GTA4 is the first that actually takes itself seriously.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Not really. All the GTA's took their stories/cutscenes seriously for the most part, but the mission design didnt. Sadly, 4 took it serious on both routes.
I should have clarified, I guess. While GTA's game mechanics and mission design have traditionally allowed for a laid-back gameplay (ok, bar the timer missions), if the player followed closely the story it was always giving a gritty power-monger atmosphere, perhaps understandable, given the underlying theme of the game. But that latter could also translate into the gameplay, depending on how the player took that story - as a filler or as something that defined the game.

Me, personally, I don't think I ever took a GTA for more than a drive-around-town-in-a-plethora-of-vehicles-looking-for-stunt-locations sandbox (which I've thoroughly enjoyed).

Gamer @ Heart said:
Not really. All the GTA's took their stories/cutscenes seriously for the most part, but the mission design didnt. Sadly, 4 took it serious on both routes.
Subtle jokes occasionally yes, but I didn't think they thought of themselves as anything other than parodies of other gangster movies.

You guys seem to be forgetting GTA 1 and 2. Which really DID not take themselves seriously at all. I personally think the worst thing that happened to that series was 3, when it decided it wanted to be "mature" and serious. Lost all of it's personality.

idwl said:
Metroid is not as big a franchise as you guys make it seem . It won't be a launch game and hopefully Nintendo let's it rest for a while. Now what they should use as a launch game is f-zero :p

Metroid is a big enough franchise.
Consistent million+ seller and all.
Helps bring in the hardcore. And at launch, it can have a much bigger impact than a year down the road.

That, along with a new IP (like MiiChase or something), plus the third party offerings should be enough to satisfy people.

Going back to a Nintendo x Capcom scenario, what kind of genre would y'all want it to be?

I would like it to either be an RPG (more traditional than Namco x Capcom) or in the style of the Capcom vs series. Or better yet Nintendo x Capcom Power Stone style. That would definitely get my attention.

guek

Banned
a powerstone style game would be interesting, but it'd probably incapable of being a tournament fighter, right?

gah, nintendo vs. capcom would have such a crazy huge draw. Who knows? Maybe it's in the cards after all

Street Fighter IV producer Yoshinori Ono has gone on record as saying he would love to work on a Nintendo vs. Capcom beat 'em up.

Ono, who is currently adding the finishing touches to Super Street Fighter IV for the 3DS, told Cubed3 that a digital dust-up between the two publisher's stable of characters should be pitched to Nintendo and Super Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai.

rpmurphy

bgassassin said:
Going back to a Nintendo x Capcom scenario, what kind of genre would y'all want it to be?

I would like it to either be an RPG (more traditional than Namco x Capcom) or in the style of the Capcom vs series. Or better yet Nintendo x Capcom Power Stone style. That would definitely get my attention.
2D co-op platformer or 2D/topdown beat 'em up would be my top picks. RPG would be a good choice only if they take the time to make a good story out of the mash-up.

bgassassin said:

Honestly it'd probably end up playing like Marvel vs Capcom, which will be a shame. I'd buy it just to say I have it, since I'm not very good at the typical Fighting game. I'd love for it to play like Smash Bros, but with some Street Fighter qualities.

AceBandage said:
Metroid is a big enough franchise.
Consistent million+ seller and all.
Helps bring in the hardcore. And at launch, it can have a much bigger impact than a year down the road.

That, along with a new IP (like MiiChase or something), plus the third party offerings should be enough to satisfy people.
Only in the US - Metroid has never been a big seller in Japan. I think Other M was an attempt to fix that (an attempt that failed and backfired).

TunaLover

idwl said:
If Sakamoto wants a new Metroid, it will be a new Metroid, he's important part of Nintendo's internal studios, that's why we have some Metroid reference in AR cards, Miis, etc...

guek - I remember that. I definitely wonder how far they would go with the idea. Would it only make it to talking about it or would it become a full-fledged game. Also I don't see why a Power Stone style of game would hurt the tournament aspect.

rpmurphy - I like those ideas. I was also thinking of an RPG/Vs hybrid.

IceDoesntHelp - I wanted to keep SSB kind of unique on its own. That's why I went the Power Stone idea.

bgassassin said:

Nintendo X Capcom: SRPG from Monolith Soft

Capcom Vs Nintendo: 2D fighter from Eighting

Dreamwriter said:
Only in the US - Metroid has never been a big seller in Japan. I think Other M was an attempt to fix that (an attempt that failed and backfired).
The original FDS Metroid sold over a million in Japan. Super Metroid was around 600k.

AntMurda said:
I actually think Nintendo is experimenting with making that a "Smash Brothers" type third person shooter. You gather up Nintendo all-stars and put them in a new setting, third person shooter tournament.

None of the tech demos to me seem like anything that alone(even more full developed) would make a full game. but together they seem more indicative of a "Smash Brothers" type minigame collection.

Sadist

Javier said:
I'd say Sonic Generations WiiU is a safe bet for launch
Sega kind of ruled that one out didn’t they? I’ve read about a rumour that Sega is prepping an exclusive Sonic title for Wii U. Which would make sense, considering the sales of Sonic game on Nintendo platforms.

bgassassin said:

A Power Stone-like game could absolutely work. The game could be more successful in the sales department because Nintendo and “recognisable” Capcom characters are the main fighters. Plus, it would be more “Smash Bros.” like and Nintendo fans would gobble it up.

I’d love a 2D fighter as well.

Sadist said:
Sega kind of ruled that one out didn’t they? I’ve read about a rumour that Sega is prepping an exclusive Sonic title for Wii U. Which would make sense, considering the sales of Sonic game on Nintendo platforms.
Yes they did, I believe a couple times they said it would be too late.

According to your avatar, Nintendo is no longer doomed!

Shin Johnpv said:
You guys seem to be forgetting GTA 1 and 2. Which really DID not take themselves seriously at all. I personally think the worst thing that happened to that series was 3, when it decided it wanted to be "mature" and serious. Lost all of it's personality.
GTA2 has always been my favorite of the series for that reason, but out of the 3 style design I really do love Vice City. I can't think of any way that game took itself seriously. Cutscenes that are parodies of something that already seemed like a parody (Miami Vice).

A lot more serious than the first two games, but still completely over the top, and that was before they introduced jetpacks. Even in "serious" moments the game seems playful.

bgassassin said:

I don't want to go posting all of my fanboy ideas, but I've always thought a Nintendo vs. Capcom (fighting game) would be a perfect opportunity to inject some Nintendo-esque principles into a genre that's largely more difficult for players to get involved in.

Motions would need to be taken out. I know this is going to get me a huge amount of flak from purists, but I don't think they intrinsically add anything to the game beyond an artificial skill barrier. What's more important in fighting games is the interaction of mechanics and decisions made by opposing players, not the input. My typical example is likening motions to requiring players to play a perfect rendition of Moonlight Sonata prior to successfully moving a piece in chess. (There's an argument to be made, though, for how motions can restrict certain strategies, such as spamming Sonic Boom on Guile or something. These sorts of problems can be easily avoided with a little bit of creative thinking, such as short cooldowns.)

Special attacks would be executed the Smash way, i.e. through a dedicated button or buttons. Losing depth through the L-M-H variations would be a concern, but I think they could be retained through clever design. For example, a lot of heavy variations do more damage, but come out slower – simply require the button to be held longer, the time of release determining the type of special. Position based variations (such as Dormammu's Dark Hole or Purification) can take the Mewtwo Teleport route, in that for a brief moment of time after input, you can alter the position by moving the stick in a desired direction.

Take out the Light, Medium, Heavy system, and reduce it to two buttons, A and B attacks. However, alternating between the two during strings results in different attack strings. In AAB and ABA, the second A might be completely different moves. The idea is that there is already a "right" answer when you initiate a combo in a fighting game – there is an optimum sequence of buttons to press to result in max damage, and once the combo starts your opponent can't do anything about it, it's solely a single-player skill barrier. If landing that specific attack on an opponent can always lead to X damage from a skilled player, distill that combo down into a more meaningful series of attacks that is manageable for most players. (Eighting, developer behind TvC, implemented something similar in NGNT4.) A and B attacks could also be augmented by directional variations, such as A-Up being different than A-Right.

The above paragraphs basically describe Capcom's Simple Mode, except at a level that doesn't sacrifice depth or options.

I've also had ideas for some sort of way to have the player taking damage influence the attacking player's strategy, similar to directional influence in Smash. I don't like the idea of one player being completely passive in these sorts of situations.

Basically, a game that retains depth, deemphasizes artificial skill, and the results of each match ultimately emphasizing a larger amount of direct player-to-player interactions and decisions than most other fighting games. This game would not only be a huge success, but it would strengthen relations with Capcom, introduce a large number of players to a whole new genre, and boost Nintendo's standing with hardcore gamers.

EDIT: wow i went overboard :(

[Nintex]

Nintendo already showed New Super Mario Bros. Mii so my guess is that is a lock for Wii U. If they don't turn that into a full game... they might as well jump off a bridge.

Olaeh

lunchwithyuzo said:
Nintendo X Capcom: SRPG from Monolith Soft

Capcom Vs Nintendo: 2D fighter from Eighting

I could die happy. Or, perhaps an RPG by Monolith Soft with 2D fighting for the battles by Capcom. It's a full blown fighting game within an RPG with multiplayer and online mode. Some of the battles would be SRPG, also w/ multiplayer online.

Dreamwriter said:
I'd say nil. Nintendo would have chosen the GPU at least a year ago, probably two.
Don't be too sure. Nintendo didn't walk into ATI look at the GPU bin and said, "We'll take that one." It doesn't work like that. Nintendo has a base price/performance requirement and ATI either uses a chip they have that is fairly close and then customize it or work on something completely new to hit or exceed (Nintendo likes when you exceed) the base requirements. Or to make it short, it is a highly customized ATI GPU with features you can't find currently.

All in all, they aren't locked into a die-size. They are going to use whatever manufacturing process they can that is affordable and reliable at the time of production.

idwl said:
Metroid is not as big a franchise as you guys make it seem .
It's big enough in America and Europe, the two largest markets. And Metroid can certainly be bigger, it's just NoA sucks at marketing a game as a huge event. I really think the Metroid universe is big enough to go beyond just Samus and the find item->new area mechanic. The Galactic Federation army would make a great FPS (yeah I know I groan at that as well, but it could sell well).

Or expand the type of game Metroid can be. You can have your standard mechanics Metroid and you can have your third-person action Metroid. Nintendo is only limited by the risks they are adverse to take and NoA's horrible marketing.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dreamwriter said:
2 years is how long it was from when the 3DS CPU/GPU package was chosen until the device was announced, and from the Iwata Asks series it seemed that was normal for Nintendo. Even when it was decided the system would be 3D and thus require a lot more power, they didn't change the CPU/GPU, they just clocked the GPU faster (making battery life worse).
It seems nintendo also ditched a GPU or two during that time.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
A Nintendo vs Capcom game would literally destroy the universe.
Not a surprise. Capcom and Nintendo have been very buddy buddy ever since MH3....
I'm not sure if that its been since MH3, but they definitely have had a large, up-front, test-free presence on the 3DS. Hopefully that continues on WiiU.

For those that don't remember, Yoshinori Ono made an unexpected statement about wanting to make a Nintendo X Capcom fighting game earlier this year. I'm going to need bigger fists to shake if that didn't lead to anything.

NOPE. Highly doubt it. It'll be a couch game, and personally I'm OK with that.

I'm predicting for launch...

Pack-in Tech Demos
Darksiders 2
Lego City Stories
Killer Freaks from Outer Space (ubisoft will rush it to make the launch window)
Rabids games
Ghost Recon Online
Batman Arkham City
Ninja Gaiden 3
A sports game, maybe Madden
A racing game port, probably Dirt, along with possibly an Excite truck game
A movie license game port, probably Spider-man or Avengers

By the end of 2012, we'll get:
Assassin's Creed port (a collection if we're lucky but probably just Revelations)
Metro Last Light
Aliens: Colonel Marines
Tekken Wii U
New Super Mario Bros. Mii
Pikmin 3
Potentially, every 2012 release and the bigger 2011 release (and random 2009 Ubisoft releases) could make to the system. Depending on when the system is released most of those should be ready for launch.

I expect the tech demo's will come together to make a Wii Play-like title for the system. It could be bundled with the hardware or sold separately with a Wii Remote +... but if a remote isn't included with the system then I think the "WiiU Play" bundle is inevitable.

We can safely assume that Nintendo will try and get every major franchise they have out (if not out, then announced) for the system by the end of 2013. They've shown a similar pattern to that with almost every system they've made so far. They also have an advantage because this will be their first major graphical leap in over 10 years, so even relatively minor games will get extra attention. So don't be afraid to make otherwise wild & crazy predictions about what games we'll see from them.

NinjaTehFish said:
So i imagine AMD convinced them of the cost/power benefits 28nm affords, which in my conspiracy addled brain is why the E3 reveal was scaled back and its launching next year instead of this.
I can't imagine that being a very hard sell to Nintendo.

Sadist said:
A Power Stone-like game could absolutely work. The game could be more successful in the sales department because Nintendo and “recognisable” Capcom characters are the main fighters. Plus, it would be more “Smash Bros.” like and Nintendo fans would gobble it up.

That's what I was thinking. You get the recognition of known characters, simplicity of the game style itself, but keeps people from thinking it's another SSB, Vs, etc.

LoftyTheMetroid said:
EDIT: wow i went overboard :(

And you said you wouldn't go posting all of your fanboy ideas. ;) But I take it from this post you've never played Power Stone by Capcom. Reason why I say that is because Power Stone was just four buttons: Punch, Kick, Grab, Jump. The game also did auto-locking on your opponents. Combos were essentially pushing a button repeatedly if I remember correctly. The special and super moves were also either one button or two buttons pressed together.

But in the end it's just a thought that won't happen.

bgassassin said:
And you said you wouldn't go posting all of your fanboy ideas. ;) But I take it from this post you've never played Power Stone by Capcom. Reason why I say that is because Power Stone was just four buttons: Punch, Kick, Grab, Jump. The game also did auto-locking on your opponents. Combos were essentially pushing a button repeatedly if I remember correctly. The special and super moves were also either one button or two buttons pressed together.
Sad thing is, that was only a fraction. :(

I've always liked the idea of Power Stone-like gameplay, but I always feared the 3D nature of it would make depth perception and attacks more difficult to judge.

Was Power Stone very deep, or did it have a competitive scene? Or was it meant to be more of a fun party brawler?

Shin Johnpv said:
KIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL FRENZYYYYYYYYYYY!

In all serious, though, what makes people so sure this will be a summer launch? I would think a lukewarm launch in summer would be disastrous after the fiasco that was the 3ds launch and a sorely downgraded financial forecast for investors. This thing needs to open to huge numbers, and the only way that's gonna happen is with a late fall/holiday 2012 release. Not to mention that e311 was obviously a still rather early prototype, even by initial console reveal standards. They need the extra time anyway to focus on 3ds as it is, which is why we haven't seen hide or hair of wiiU since then and probably won't until E3 next year.

E3 2012 full reveal with launch lineup and launch in late October 2012. Killer launch app will be Pikmin 3

guek

Banned
3DS didn't launch lukewarm, it broke records. It just fell swiftly afterwards due to a lack of software and the hefty price

LoftyTheMetroid said:
Sad thing is, that was only a fraction. :(

I've always liked the idea of Power Stone-like gameplay, but I always feared the 3D nature of it would make depth perception and attacks more difficult to judge.

Was Power Stone very deep, or did it have a competitive scene? Or was it meant to be more of a fun party brawler?

Haha, you sound like me when I get going on certain subjects.

Your concern is handled by the auto-locking. The opponent could avoid that attacks, but at least they would be towards the spot they were at when the attack was launched.

I would say it was a pretty niche fighting title at the time. I was in college and only played the arcade version at the campus arcade, and I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I played against someone. That was also due to the arcade having Tekken 3, X-Men vs Street Fighter, and Street Fighter 3 which I also spent a lot of time with. I think more people played Puzzle Fighter as well. So like Sadist said more recognizable characters should make a difference.

I was talking with AlStrong over on B3D to see if he'd heard anything about the GPU since the article they wrote, and it prompted me to look for Wii's time frame. Pasting what I just posted there:

The Wii launched in November. And an article from IGN stated that the Wii was on it's third version of dev kits in February. A fourth one was to be released soon after at about 90-95 percent the power of the final. And then the final was available by June. That's about five months between the final and launch. So if Nintendo were to follow that same time frame with my belief of a launch not far after E3, then devs would have their final kits by January. Based on that it would mean Nintendo should have a complete GPU by the end of the year. That to me would explain why when you wrote the article late July they still weren't anywhere close to taping out. That was around the time the second Wii U kits went out.

They had five versions of dev kits for Wii. All things considered I wouldn't be shocked if they had one or two more for Wii U. That said this to me would indicate they are either still not quite done designing the CPU and GPU or just about done since it's October.

[Nintex]

CrunchyFrog said:
KIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL FRENZYYYYYYYYYYY!

In all serious, though, what makes people so sure this will be a summer launch? I would think a lukewarm launch in summer would be disastrous after the fiasco that was the 3ds launch and a sorely downgraded financial forecast for investors. This thing needs to open to huge numbers, and the only way that's gonna happen is with a late fall/holiday 2012 release. Not to mention that e311 was obviously a still rather early prototype, even by initial console reveal standards. They need the extra time anyway to focus on 3ds as it is, which is why we haven't seen hide or hair of wiiU since then and probably won't until E3 next year.

E3 2012 full reveal with launch lineup and launch in late October 2012. Killer launch app will be Pikmin 3
With games like Darksiders II being important launch titles third parties would be sitting ducks having to sit on their content for 6 months or more. A Q2 release seems likely, maybe July. Since reports varied and games like Batman were already greenlit for the system(along with Lego City Stories having a 'autumn 2011' release window when first announced prior to the unveiling of the Wii U) I'd say they planned this machine to be out anywhere between Q4 2011 and Q2 2012 depending on various factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom