• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

Shnookums said:
I'm having major stuttering issues in the first full mission in single player (after the opening sequence and interrogation cutscene). It's bizarre because the opening sequence played smooth, but the next mission is completely unplayable. It doesn't feel like a normal framerate drop either, it's more like smooth framerate interrupted by a stutter/pause every 1-2 seconds. Lowering video settings doesn't seem to help so far.

My system is an i7-860, Radeon 5970 (11.10 version 3 preview, 11.9 CAP 3).

I had this exactly! I'm on 560ti's, but the opening ran fine but once I got to the first real area things went to hell. Again, try turning AA down and see if that helps. Please report back here if it does so we can see if I'm the only one or if it is the AA settings causing this stuttering issue like it appears to be for me. I turned mine down from 4x to 2 and things went to a solid 60FPS. Waiting for someone else who has had the problem to report back and say if this helped or didn't do shit for them.

Wallach

Hero_of_the_Day said:
I had this exactly! I'm on 560ti's, but the opening ran fine but once I got to the first real area things went to hell. Again, try turning AA down and see if that helps. Please report back here if it does so we can see if I'm the only one or if it is the AA settings causing this stuttering issue like it appears to be for me. I turned mine down from 4x to 2 and things went to a solid 60FPS. Waiting for someone else who has had the problem to report back and say if this helped or didn't do shit for them.

Anyone have frame buffer usage information on high/ultra settings? These issues sound like bumping into frame buffer limitations.

5850+ Q9550+ 11.10 Version 3 Catalyst Drivers.

1920x1080 4x MSAA, SSAO and all settings on High.. I'm getting a solid 30 FPS..Kinda disappointed TBH...Is this about right or can any major optimization be done?

TheExodu5

Banned
Heh, found out what my issue was.

I forgot I cancelled my pre-order on Origin. Annoyingly, it left the game in My Games making me think I still had it. My actual "pre-order" was through Impulse (got it free through a promotion), and annoyingly, it didn't appear there either. Had to do some annoying cache clearing to get it to show up there and I finally got my key.

Crisis averted.

Izayoi

Banned
DoctorZ said:
Huh, the campaign wont start. Just says initializing in the toolbar forever. A common issue?
Click on the BF3 icon on your taskbar, report the error you get.

I have a feeling you're in for a world of hurt.

Wallach said:
Anyone have frame buffer usage information on high/ultra settings? These issues sound like bumping into frame buffer limitations.

After two seconds of reading what frame buffer means on google, I am going to jump to the conclusion that you are on to something here.

DoctorZ

Izayoi said:
Click on the BF3 icon on your taskbar, report the error you get.

I have a feeling you're in for a world of hurt.

It finally started on my 20th attempt. But now its just a flashing loading, then saving, then loading again.

Closed it, started again, initializing forever. Tried a few more times, started finally and got to the main menu.

Hopefully just launch day woes and the game runs as expected.

outsida

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Please try lowering AA settings and report back whether it makes a difference or not. Maybe if I ask enough people someone will actually come back and tell us how it went.
I'm only running the post AA at the moment. The game isn't taxing my laptop at all really it just has this slight stuttering thats begining to drive me crazy.

Darkkn

I've got an odd problem. Game works great for like 15mins, but after certain period, game starts freezing for a second at the time at random intervals. Any ideas what is the problem here?

Setup: i5 2500k, ati 5770, 4gb. Running game maxed, except SSAO and no deferred AA.

Game is running incredibly well. I decided to see what the Ultra setting was about and I'm getting between no less than 37fps at 1080p. Thinking I'm going to dial it back though as I'd rather have a consistent 60fps, but good to know I can handle to game pretty well.

i5 2500k oc'd @ 4.5ghz, gtx 570 stock and 8gb ram.

Shnookums

Hero_of_the_Day said:

I turned it down to 2 and it made no difference.

Also tried playing some multiplayer just now and when I first joined the server everything was pretty solid until my first kill, then once it went to the killcam everything went to shit and after respawning it was a total slideshow, completely unplayable. Great!

hioh631 said:
Game is running incredibly well. I decided to see what the Ultra setting was about and I'm getting between no less than 37fps at 1080p. Thinking I'm going to dial it back though as I'd rather have a consistent 60fps, but good to know I can handle to game pretty well.

What's the difference between a GTX 570 and 460?

outsida

Izayoi said:
Posting this here to make sure everyone sees it.

DO NOT USE CLOUD SAVES ON PC
I was just coming in to say this... I saw your post in the other thread and my game is running muuuuuuuch smoother.

LegoDad

Izayoi said:
Posting this here to make sure everyone sees it.

DO NOT USE CLOUD SAVES ON PC

Why?

Game runs flawlessly so far on my setup. Have everything on Ultra 1080p and with vsync on get a solid 60fps the entire time.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Please try lowering AA settings and report back whether it makes a difference or not. Maybe if I ask enough people someone will actually come back and tell us how it went.

didn't work for me

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
herzogzwei1989 said:
What's the difference between a GTX 570 and 460?

vQIEG.png

If you are looking for real world performance differences, dont be lazy and read the OP.

outsida

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Cutting off the cloud saves solved my stuttering.

pottuvoi

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Also, where are the DX11 control/sliders etc.
In options menu?
The whole engine is made on top of the DX11 SM5, so there really isn't need different area for DX11. (whole lighting engine and most likely post processing uses compute shaders)

IE. terrain slider does affect how much tesselation & displacement mapping is used, it's not simple on/off.

Juancho9 said:
I'm getting crazy lag and rubbberbanding in just about every server I go to. Could t be a gfx issue?

Yeah, been a good amount of lag most of the day. And I think shit just went live every where so there's a fuck ton of people on now I'd imagine.

Izayoi

Banned
caliblue15 said:
Why?

Game runs flawlessly so far on my setup. Have everything on Ultra 1080p and with vsync on get a solid 60fps the entire time.
They are causing serious headaches for some people.

Corrupt (or deleted) save files, conflicts, and stuttering.

Save your files to a USB drive if you must, but DO NOT use the cloud save function. Right now it's a busted piece of shit.

Zimbardo

Issue that i noticed:

i have game set to 1080p/ ultra/ with medium post aa, HBAO ...yada,yada,yada ...vsync'd.

anyway, the game will run perfect for a good while ...60fps ....but then i'll notice a bit of stutter when moving the mouse. stutter that didn't happen before. so what i do is hit 'ESC' to bring up the menu, then hit 'ESC' again to get out of the menu (not changing anything), and the stutter is gone. it'll come back after awhile again ...i do the same thing and it goes away.

stupid.

hioh631 said:

Awesome, I have the same config.

Nafai1123

Banned
This game is fucking gorgeous!

i5 2500k stock, 12 gigs ram, ATI 6850 stock

All settings on high except textures and terrain detail on ultra. High post AA, no MSAA, blur on, HBAO, Vsync on. Running at 1920x1200.

Usually around 40-45fps, although it will occasionally drop as low as mid 30's and will go as high as mid 50's. I'll probably turn down some settings in MP to get 60fps, but for SP it's perfect. The framerate stays surprisingly stable, which makes the game feel fantastic.

2zrgqop.jpg

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Izayoi said:
They are causing serious headaches for some people.

Corrupt (or deleted) save files, conflicts, and stuttering.

Save your files to a USB drive if you must, but DO NOT use the cloud save function. Right now it's a busted piece of shit.

How do I disable it?

Shnookums

RyanReedyMusic said:
5970 XXX OC with Phenom X4, 4gbs of Ram, ULTRA for All at 1920 x 1080 no hitches, grabs, etc. Runs flawless.

Are you using the 11.10 preview 3 drivers as well as the 11.9 CAP 3?

Beepos

Aussie here, so still waiting for the game to unlock. Any performance reports with someone using 2 x GTX 460s in SLI?

Please tell me SLI isn't useless in BF3...

Zep

Banned
Beepos said:
Aussie here, so still waiting for the game to unlock. Any performance reports with someone using 2 x GTX 460s in SLI?

Please tell me SLI isn't useless in BF3...

Why are you waiting to unlock it? Go to the official thread and grab the instructions on how to play it now.

edit: If you're using origin.

Shnookums

Shnookums said:
I'm having major stuttering issues in the first full mission in single player (after the opening sequence and interrogation cutscene). It's bizarre because the opening sequence played smooth, but the next mission is completely unplayable. It doesn't feel like a normal framerate drop either, it's more like smooth framerate interrupted by a stutter/pause every 1-2 seconds. Lowering video settings doesn't seem to help so far.

My system is an i7-860, Radeon 5970 (11.10 version 3 preview, 11.9 CAP 3).

Ok I've solved the issues I was having here. I disconnected my usb 360 controller and all the stuttering went away. The game is running very well for me on high at 2560x1440 with a very consistent framerate and no hitching/stuttering/pausing.

Also, contrary to some of the reports it runs better for me with CAP 3 installed.

vaelic said:
how do you turn off cloud saving?

It looks like you have to actually turn it on, so yours was probably off already. I went to turn it off and saw it was never on. Granted I'm getting a solid 60FPS after turning AA down any way.

Shnookums said:
Ok I've solved the issues I was having here. I disconnected my usb 360 controller and all the stuttering went away. The game is running very well for me on high at 2560x1440 with a very consistent framerate and no hitching/stuttering/pausing.

Also, contrary to some of the reports it runs better for me with CAP 3 installed.

Shit gets weirder and weirder. So so far if you have stuttering try:

Unplugging any 360 controllers
Turning down MSAA
Turn off cloud saving
Try beta drivers (if Nvidia)
Uninstall OR install latest crossfire profiles (if AMD)

Good shit all around.

SLV

Futurevoid said:
Anyone running on an i5 2500k at stock? Does the game seem CPU contrained or is it more GPU heavy out of curiosity?

For me (at stock at the moment for various reasons), it cuts out at 70-80 percent without using much Turbo, its more of a GPU hog, All on Ultra, 4x AA

Top Bottom