• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

EGM92

you guys know that a majority of manufactures actually put in a throttle temp within the video BIOS to stop the card from overheating right? As long as you haven't flashed a 3rd party BIOS it should be implemented.

My brother has a 570ti when he runs furmark the card will get up to 91C, as soon as the thermal sensor detects that it starts throttling to lower the temps. If you're seriously worried about your temps get an aftermarket cooler or replace the thermal compound. Most manufactures use the cheapest crap out there, a little MX4 or AS will drop the temps significantly over what comes stock which is usually a thick compound or thermal pad in some cases. My 5970 doesn't go above 71C, and this is the only game to push is that high, Witcher 2 was the second with 53C.

hoss

Think I've solved my sound loop crashing, and in case anyone else is having a similar problem - try turning off the sound enhancement setting in the audio options in-game. Since doing that I've been playing crash free for the last couple of hours.

drizzle said:
Both my old CPU (QX6700) and GFX Card (8800 GTX) ran on the brink of 100c every single time I was playing anything graphically intense. I even had to bolt another fan on my videocard, because at 110c it would throttle down and run shit at 15fps.

Running shit in the 70-90c is good for long-term duration of your hardware? Probably not, but it's not "too hot".

Also, since we don't live in the 486 days anymore, every processing unit has countermeasures to not heat too much up. Everything throttles down when it goes over the red line.

And what the hell is 'long-term duration' of hardware anyways? Having hardware last 10-15 years instead of 5... no thanks. I'd rather push it to the max and have it die quickly and get the most for my money since I'm gonna upgrade in 2 years or less anyways.

It's hilarious seeing people freak out every time anything isn't running at 50c or below. Give me a break. On the clocks people are hitting with air-cooling, 50c is a luxury.

Rule of thumb (And this is for me personally) is to push the hardware to the limits of stability, go a notch or two below that, and enjoy nice performance while spending much less on the initial hardware. I love buying mid-range or lower high-end components and overclocking them past 'highest-end' levels.

REV 09

BoobPhysics101 said:
And what the hell is 'long-term duration' of hardware anyways? Having hardware last 10-15 years instead of 5... no thanks. I'd rather push it to the max and have it die quickly and get the most for my money since I'm gonna upgrade in 2 years or less anyways.

It's hilarious seeing people freak out every time anything isn't running at 50c or below. Give me a break. On the clocks people are hitting with air-cooling, 50c is a luxury.

Rule of thumb (And this is for me personally) is to push the hardware to the limits of stability, go a notch or two below that, and enjoy nice performance while spending much less on the initial hardware. I love buying mid-range or lower high-end components and overclocking them past 'highest-end' levels.
I'm starting to lean toward this mentality. In a way, you'll be getting the most use out of your hardware between upgrades. My temps are in the high 60s now...may push harder.

i5 760 (2.8ghz) OC to 4.2ghz. Hyper 212 on it though.

Moaradin

Does this game hate overclocks? I put my GPU back to stock clocks and now I get full 60 fps without the stuttering that I used to have.

Piggus

Low 60s at 4.8 ghz. Antec Khuler ftw.

Oddly though one of my video cards gets much hotter than the other even when both are pushed to the limit. It's not dangerously hot, but I should probably try to reseat the HSF on it.

EDIT^ I haven't tried going back to stock. I'll try that soon.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Moaradin said:
Does this game hate overclocks? I put my GPU back to stock clocks and now I get full 60 fps without the stuttering that I used to have.
No issues for me.

MSI 570 Twin Frozr II OC'd to 930.

Arment

Moaradin said:

I have 560 ti OC'd to 970mhz no problems at all.

My 6870 peaks at 79 degrees (celsius) on Caspian, this is the first time it's gone above 60 in a game except for in the beta where it reached 70. I'm sure the cause is that it is an extremely hot day here, but more to the point is 80 a worrying temperature to be reaching on a GPU?

My CPU reaches a top of 54 with the stock cooling fan and the GPU is a non-reference ASUS card with a custom cooler, for reference. Sorry if this is off-topic.

Menelaus

Banned
Just checking in to report that I'm getting the weird graphical anomalies from my reticule as well...super annoying.

I have a factory OC'd 460.

zlatko said:
Anyone know what causes the whole screen to flash green once in a while ?

Seems like a weird graphics issue to me. Happens on my new GTX 570 with 285.38 beta drivers. And it happens randomly and only a couple of times and goes away.

Garrus Vakarian said:
My 6870 peaks at 79 degrees (celsius) on Caspian, this is the first time it's gone above 60 in a game except for in the beta where it reached 70. I'm sure the cause is that it is an extremely hot day here, but more to the point is 80 a worrying temperature to be reaching on a GPU?

My CPU reaches a top of 54 with the stock cooling fan and the GPU is a non-reference ASUS card with a custom cooler, for reference. Sorry if this is off-topic.

No. Read the 10~ posts above yours for more info. 80c on a GPU is fine. 100-110c is where you're reaching the Danger Zone.

zlatko

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Seems like a weird graphics issue to me. Happens on my new GTX 570 with 285.38 beta drivers. And it happens randomly and only a couple of times and goes away.

No. Read the 10~ posts above yours for more info. 80c on a GPU is fine. 100-110c is where you're reaching the Danger Zone.

Hm weird. I'm using a Radeon 5870, and it is happening to me too, so it isn't discriminating against just Nvidia.

:(

I get the green flashes and yesterday I was also getting wierd green-pixel "static" (random pixels turning bright green on random areas of the screen it jumped all over the screen) on certain areas of the screen. Really hard to describe it exactly.

I'm thinking it is a problem with my PC and not the game. Haven't seen anyone else complain about it.

Enco

Veins said:
Everyone I have talked to gets the green flashes every once and a while. Just a game bug.
I get this too. Not annoying but still sucks.

Loads of weird bugs/glitches in the game. The most annoying is the jittery camera when viewing the guy who killed you.

I've maxed the game (post AA off cos it sucks) with my single GTX 580.

edit: the crashes are the most annoying actually

Tripwood

I can not get the Co Op to work.

Just before I'm about to load the map I get disconnected.
I've tried it with matchmaking and with a bunch of my friends, same result.
All the the needed ports that I could find are open, I don't have any firewall/antivirus programs on my PC.

No idea what else I could try. Any ideas?

Firebrand

ChefRamsay said:
My bottleneck is a 3.0GHz C2D, yet official BF3 minimum requirements is 2.4GHz. All other components handily surpass minimum requirements (Win7 x64, 4GB RAM, GTX460 1GB). I have seen similar reports in other forums as well. Hopefully a future patch addresses CPU usage, because this game hits 100% really often - frustrating for the low end gamers!
The beta ran even worse than that (low 10s, audio stuttering) on my E8500 so I guess they already optimized it a bit.

tborsje

BoobPhysics101 said:

Completely agree, it's another one of those BS pieces of 'advice' that you see everywhere on overclocking forums and the like. Probably believed by the same people who tell people that they 'have' to get a 800w power supply if they have a GTX560.

My old 8800 GTS spent two years hovering around 80-95c in demanding games and there was no problem with that.

But if anyone is getting temps that are legitimately worrying, they should set up a fan profile in EVGA Precision that sets the fan to 100% at a lower temp. You don't need an EVGA card for the program btw.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
For people having problems like the picture below it is due to your vram not being able to handle the load. Lower the texture and AA to free up some vram. If you still having problems even on the lowest settings try actually down clocking your vram (from stock clock) and if the problem goes away that is a clear sign you need to RMA the graphics card.

(Note: The spikes are a known problem with 200 (DX10) series NV cards due to driver fuck up. So, don't freak out if you have a 200 series gpu and having such problems.)

Detox said:
Any ideas what could be causing this?
D588a.jpg

dgud

Neo Member
I have to downclock my factory overclocked 560ti to get the game stable.

So people with 560ti and problems downclock it to 820-1640.

But that is a pain, since you got to be admin to overclock/underclock it, which
my standard user isn't, I don't want my kids to mess with my computer.
But I want my son to be able to play the game.

Enco

Anyone know why I get a weird white noise type sound when someone sprints next to me?

edit: fixed it. I muted the speakers in the battlelog party chat.

bee

peformance is excellent for me with a single screen, 1920 x 1080 @120hz max settings, get 50-120fps with no vsync as there's zero? tearing anyway, averaging probably 75-80 fps with gtx 560 ti 2gb sli, uses about 1.4 - 1.5 gb vram

triple monitor support is broken, menus are all offset so u have to click like 2 inch to the right to select anything and the aiming dot is totally off on the jeeps etc. it still runs acceptably though at 6050 x 1080 , ultra texture. rest high except shadows medium and proper aa and ssao off, averaging around 40fps and 1.7-1.8gb vram

3D vision is broken, well it is unless u can time it so it activates properly, there's links to it on the nvidia forums but i cant be bothered messing about so i'll just wait until dice patch it in properly as they've said they will do

I'm getting terrible lag stuttering the last couple of days. Barely playable.

I've done speed and ping tests and they're all great. I've already got my settings turned down to medium which my computer should be able to run without issue but yet the lagging continues.

zlatko said:
Hm weird. I'm using a Radeon 5870, and it is happening to me too, so it isn't discriminating against just Nvidia.

:(
It's not even exclusive to PC. I get it on both PC and 360. It seems to be more rare on 360 though.

Any firm statements from DICE regarding VRAM? Game runs at 60fps on Ultra with CF 6850s, but there is some minor chugging, which gets very annoying. Could this be a VRAM issue seeing as each card only has 1GB?

Would prefer not to have to scale it back to High.

RibbedHero said:
Any firm statements from DICE regarding VRAM? Game runs at 60fps on Ultra with CF 6850s, but there is some minor chugging, which gets very annoying. Could this be a VRAM issue seeing as each card only has 1GB?

1GB is simply not enough for ultra. Having CF only dupes the data so its not like u can effectively use the 2x1GB

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Enco said:
I get this too. Not annoying but still sucks.

Loads of weird bugs/glitches in the game. The most annoying is the jittery camera when viewing the guy who killed you.

I've maxed the game (post AA off cos it sucks) with my single GTX 580.

edit: the crashes are the most annoying actually
You lowered your clock rate, right? That should stop the constant crashes.

mr stroke

bee said:
peformance is excellent for me with a single screen, 1920 x 1080 @120hz max settings, get 50-120fps with no vsync as there's zero? tearing anyway, averaging probably 75-80 fps with gtx 560 ti 2gb sli, uses about 1.4 - 1.5 gb vram

triple monitor support is broken, menus are all offset so u have to click like 2 inch to the right to select anything and the aiming dot is totally off on the jeeps etc. it still runs acceptably though at 6050 x 1080 , ultra texture. rest high except shadows medium and proper aa and ssao off, averaging around 40fps and 1.7-1.8gb vram

3D vision is broken, well it is unless u can time it so it activates properly, there's links to it on the nvidia forums but i cant be bothered messing about so i'll just wait until dice patch it in properly as they've said they will do

Yep :(

Game is completely unplayable for me in Eyefinity, stuttering, no friendly names above players, HUD is all out of whack. Upset that I bought my Eyefinity set up specifically for this game and it doesn't work. After three days of trying to get it to work I gave up, sold my triple monitor set up and went back to a big 2560 res monitor.

Seiki

Since we're all bringing up operating temps, is it normal for a 480 to report 90-93C under load? Doesn't seem to be overheating since I don't see any graphical glitches like some people.

Max

I am not Max
I hate Origin, "verify files" downloads the 40 mb im missing, and this morning the game isnt even installed, click install game and it does nothing. So now i'm having to reinstall with my discs even though it was all on my hdd anyway

I better still have my campaign save...

Metalmurphy said:
1GB is simply not enough for ultra. Having CF only dupes the data so its not like u can effectively use the 2x1GB

That's what I'm saying, is the 1GB too little? I've heard conflicting reports on the matter, some say the game needs around 1.3GB of VRAM, while others same the game adapts to use as much VRAM as possible, even under 1GB(I understand that these two are not necessarily mutually exclusive).

RibbedHero said:

High looks about the same as Ultra textures. I run high on my GTX 570 cause the fucking thing only has 1.28GB of VRAM lol. Makes me want to sell it and buy a 6950 2 GB, but whatever.

I'll test out Ultra textures and see if I can get the game to over-use VRAM and cause problems... I'll report back with my results. I'll measure VRAM usage.

spk

Max said:
I hate Origin, "verify files" downloads the 40 mb im missing, and this morning the game isnt even installed, click install game and it does nothing. So now i'm having to reinstall with my discs even though it was all on my hdd anyway

I better still have my campaign save...
Rename the BF3 exe inside the folder. I had the same problem

knitoe

BoobPhysics101 said:
High looks about the same as Ultra textures. I run high on my GTX 570 cause the fucking thing only has 1.28GB of VRAM lol. Makes me want to sell it and buy a 6950 2 GB, but whatever.

I'll test out Ultra textures and see if I can get the game to over-use VRAM and cause problems... I'll report back with my results. I'll measure VRAM usage.
Why I keep on telling people to buy 2GB or more video cards for future games. People keep on saying as long as you are only playing at X resolution it's fine. No, it's not. Resolution is only one component. Texture size, AA and etc. are others.

RibbedHero said:
That's what I'm saying, is the 1GB too little? I've heard conflicting reports on the matter, some say the game needs around 1.3GB of VRAM, while others same the game adapts to use as much VRAM as possible, even under 1GB(I understand that these two are not necessarily mutually exclusive).

The only way it adapts is if you set textures to HIGH instead of ULTRA :p

what does it mean when bf3.exe crashes after a minute of gameplay. gtx580 Oc settings: core voltage:1100 core clock: 930 shader:1860 memory:2004

should i bring up the core volt?

So i swap out my 4870 1GB for an 8800GT 512MB, and what do you know, nVidia drivers win again -

1vuei.jpg

Running around areas like that are significantly smoother than the way more powerful 4870. Why the hell did i even think of going back to ATI in the first place i dont know. Yeah im sure they will get upto speed in driver updates, but they come so bloody slowly i aint waiting.

Ogs said:
AMD X4 640 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2
4870 1GB
Win 7

720p on Low.

1auyi.jpg

Really ?, please tell me drivers will improve this shit (using catalyst preview in OP), having a hard time enjoying this what with the performance :/

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
knitoe said:
Why I keep on telling people to buy 2GB or more video cards for future games. People keep on saying as long as you are only playing at X resolution it's fine. No, it's not. Resolution is only one component. Texture size, AA and etc. are others.

That advice goes both ways I've realized. People saying if you need more than 1gb for setups over 1080p are equally wrong.

The game decides how much vram you'll need, the resolution is merely a modifier.

Bubs Mugumbo

Neo Member
My brother bought Battlefield 3 today thinking that his system would run it, however after trying to play it he found out that the graphics card isn't good enough. The specs for the PC are as follows:

AMD Athalon II X4 630 processor (4 CPUS)
2.8ghz
6144MB RAM
NVIDIA geforce 310 512mb

My question is, what does he need to do to get his PC to run it? Obviously a new graphics card needs to be purchased, but which one should he go for? He's looking for something that wont break the bank, but will still run this game well enough without melting his computer.

Any help is appreciated.

Bubs Mugumbo said:
My brother bought Battlefield 3 today thinking that his system would run it, however after trying to play it he found out that the graphics card isn't good enough. The specs for the PC are as follows:

AMD Athalon II X4 630 processor (4 CPUS)
2.8ghz
6144MB RAM
NVIDIA geforce 310 512mb

My question is, what does he need to do to get his PC to run it? Obviously a new graphics card needs to be purchased, but which one should he go for? He's looking for something that wont break the bank, but will still run this game well enough without melting his computer.

Any help is appreciated.

That is a very vague price range, but for a budget go for a HD 6850 or a GTX 460. For a bit more he could get a GTX 560Ti which would run the game rather well.

Edit: 6850/460 would run the game well at high, while the 560Ti can run the game with most things at ultra.

Bubs Mugumbo

Neo Member
RibbedHero said:
That is a very vague price range, but for a budget go for a HD 6850 or a GTX 460. For a bit more he could get a GTX 560Ti which would run the game rather well.

Edit: 6850/460 would run the game well at high, while the 560Ti can run the game with most things at ultra.

Would any of these cards require him to take anything else into consideration, such as extra fans/cooling systems etc for his PC? Or would the graphics card fan do the job?

Bubs Mugumbo said:
Would any of these cards require him to take anything else into consideration, such as extra fans/cooling systems etc for his PC? Or would the graphics card fan do the job?

No need for extra fans for any of those cards. Not sure about the other two, but the 6850 only needs a single 6-pin power cable, making it run cool and not too demanding on the PSU. Both the 6850 and the 460 OC rather well, not so sure about the 560Ti.

Top Bottom