• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Patch "4"

Update 12/20: The 1.3 update is now available on all platforms. Additionally, a new update that supports 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware) is now available on Steam.

REV 09

so is 4gb LAA on by default now? should i manually remove the "checked" box on the Skyrim exe in the LAA program that we were using (i'm assuming that program is no longer needed). Also, this means no more rolling back on exe's right?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Can someone explain briefly how LAA works? I have seen in the past where Skyrim seems to hit an artificial ceiling at 2GB on my system right before it crashes. I assume this will raise that ceiling.

Fitz

So all they've really done is revert what they did earlier by preventing people from altering the exe itself I guess?

Durante

So all they've really done is revert what they did earlier by preventing people from altering the exe itself I guess?
No, what they've done is flip a bit in the executable header which tells windows that the game can deal with more than 2GB of addressable memory. The same thing the 4GB loader did. People that for some reason refused to use the loader should love this, it reduced my crash rate by 100%.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If a memory leak is still occurring, is it possible that even with LAA, a person with 4GB on a 64-bit system will get CTDs, but just at a much lesser rate? In other words, does anything prevent tesv.exe from taking more memory than it needs?

Fitz

No, what they've done is flip a bit in the executable header which tells windows that the game can deal with more than 2GB of addressable memory. The same thing the 4GB loader did. People that for some reason refused to use the loader should love this, it reduced my crash rate by 100%.

Oh right, I wasn't really clear on the wording of the update notes as to whether they made it possible to alter the .exe, or if they'd made it so you no longer needed to even bother. I had no problem using the 4GB loader, but it's cool not to have to bother now.

Check the save file sizes, chances are the 120+ hour saves are larger. It's a problem with the engine design. Be grateful you can play it on the PC, where the issue is almost negligible.
I don't think it's save file size. The total is 115MB and for that specific save it's only 17MB. Still, it could be worse, I could be playing on a PS3!

Yoritomo

Playing this game off of a fast SSD is an amazing experience. So happy that LAA is in.

I just wish it had native support for triple screen.

Phandy

holy shit game runs amazing now... getting 60fps in whiterun now... loads faster... damn bethy... nice JOB

Really? You measured that, what did you get before?
Once again I'm getting shit all from the patches and am stilling running around at 20fps in the cities.

neoism

Once again I'm getting shit all from the patches and am stilling running around at 20fps in the cities.

50 at the top and 60 throughout the town... it ran good always. 4 crashes in 100 hours. But I instantly could tell from the patch. Game run awesome now.

No change on my end but it's nice to know that the Christmas crowd will have a smoother experience now that LAA has been added. A pity that they did not adjust the "Ultra" shadow settings. Having landscape and tree shadows enabled seems to make the biggest difference in visual quality while the high to ultra change just seems to create a poor first impression.

I think part of what I find so much fun about Skyrim this time is the sheer brilliance of some of the mods and the way that they enhance the game for me.

If there is something I don't particularly like the look of or the functionality of in the game, change it to suit myself. Every morning I wake up, go to SkyrimNexus and find a bunch of new mods.

I'm up to 183 installed mods now (that's a bit excess but that's the total). Plus Post Processing, SKSE, Script Dragon.

Being involved in this whole thing from the very start has been exhilarating and fun. I love following the STEP updates and choosing which of them I want to use. I love the fact that there are so many people creating their own desires for different skins for different armours and such. It's just awesome.

My character is now almost the perfect female paladin that I have almost always imagined playing as. I play as a mixed ranger / close combat with an emphasis on stealth, so you could say I'm a 'light rogue'. I'm a hidden thief, I steal things and a lot of things, but only when I'm sure I can't be caught.

I'm just infatuated with this game simply exploring the land itself is so fun, then with everything else... it's just, ultimate!

Enco

I think part of what I find so much fun about Skyrim this time is the sheer brilliance of some of the mods and the way that they enhance the game for me.

If there is something I don't particularly like the look of or the functionality of in the game, change it to suit myself. Every morning I wake up, go to SkyrimNexus and find a bunch of new mods.

I'm up to 183 installed mods now (that's a bit excess but that's the total). Plus Post Processing, SKSE, Script Dragon.

Being involved in this whole thing from the very start has been exhilarating and fun. I love following the STEP updates and choosing which of them I want to use. I love the fact that there are so many people creating their own desires for different skins for different armours and such. It's just awesome.

My character is now almost the perfect female paladin that I have almost always imagined playing as. I play as a mixed ranger / close combat with an emphasis on stealth, so you could say I'm a 'light rogue'. I'm a hidden thief, I steal things and a lot of things, but only when I'm sure I can't be caught.

I'm just infatuated with this game simply exploring the land itself is so fun, then with everything else... it's just, ultimate!
I'm the same although I have way less mods (around 25).

Don't see why some people have an aversion to mods. Mods are amazing. More games should have them.

Kyaw

Does the newest newest patch break any mods?

If not, then I'll probably head back in to finish the main quest.
Haven't touched this in a while.

Erethian

What is SKSE? o_O

Skyrim Script Extender? But what does it do?

It exposes extra scripting functionality to mods. An example is that SkyUI uses it to find out item attributes (like whether something is enchanted) that aren't passed through by default to the user interface.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Also, when I used that 4GB launcher thing, lights seemed to get this bump up as you approached them, again like a weird LOD related thing. Especially evident in some cities like Whiterun with all the fires and torches lit up and you walking by. Not using the launcher fixed that. I didn't see any real benefit anyway
This issue I mentioned back when I tried the 4GB launcher also happens to me with the official 4GB patch now (and no other mods used atm), except it's a bump down. I might have been mistaken and it was such before too, I didn't take screenshots back then, I just stopped using the launcher, which isn't an option this time. It's another very distracting in motion thing alongside all the other LOD crap in the game. I get it with maxed in the launcher distance LOD settings so I don't think it's supposed to happen this close (especially since moving backwards again, even a lot further than the point the switch occured in, doesn't make it switch back after that) and I never noticed it before this patch either, while it happens with every single light now. I took two pairs of screenshots demonstrating it, you can clearly see the change in lighting after just a single step toward the light. Open each pair in the same window in different tabs and switch between the same area's screenshots for easier viewing.
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9390/tesv2011122102565293.png
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1008/tesv2011122102565372.png

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8360/tesv2011122102591075.png
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/582/tesv2011122102591187.png
Is it a known issue or am I the only one who sees/gets it again, same as the 4GB launcher issue? I'm using a GTX285 with the latest WHQL drivers, same as before.

Great, the new patch has killed the game for me... DAMMIT i should have turned off automatic updating :/ i need to roll the game back to version 1.3

Any idea how?

moop1167

If I was running the old 1.1 .exe with LAA applied, and just updated, do I need to do anything? Or was my .exe automatically updated?

rallyart

Neo Member

I´m having the same damn issues, no matter what setting I´ve tried, every time I enter Whiterun, my fps goes from steady and smooth 60 fps to 38...

coopolon

Since I use 64-bit OS, I assume I don't need to install the "latest" patch...?

Actually it's the opposite. Previously the game was not taking advantage of the RAM your computer had (unless you were using the 4GB .exe). With this patch it should. That is assuming you have more than 2GB between your computer and GPU RAM.

Derrick01

Banned
The latest patch has increased my load times at least twice as long as before. Is this 4gb option automatically selected? All I did was start the game up like normal.

Im not really happy abou the kind of AA in Skyrim.
Im a bit late to playing this game and im doing all the tweaking before I play.

Ive got 8x MSAA enabled in the launcher setting which looks kinda off but then If I use that with FXAA enabled aswell in the launcher it makes it a bit better but kinda too smooth?

Pics here:

8X MSAA:
2nofxaa.jpg

8X MSAA + FXAA:
2withfxaa.jpg

8X MSAA:
nofxaac.jpg

8X MSAA + FXAA:
withfxaa.jpg

Whats the best settings (or in the nvidia card settings) to make it look the best?

NBtoaster

Im not really happy abou the kind of AA in Skyrim.
Im a bit late to playing this game and im doing all the tweaking before I play.

Ive got 8x MSAA enabled in the launcher setting which looks kinda off but then If I use that with FXAA enabled aswell in the launcher it makes it a bit better but kinda too smooth?

Pics here:

8X MSAA:
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/39/2nofxaa.jpg[IMG]
8X MSAA + FXAA:
[IMG]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/254/2withfxaa.jpg[IMG]
8X MSAA:
[IMG]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3725/nofxaac.jpg[IMG]
8X MSAA + FXAA:
[IMG]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2331/withfxaa.jpg/IMG]

Whats the best settings (or in the nvidia card settings) to make it look the best?[/QUOTE]

In game MSAA doesn't touch transparency like tree leaves, and the in game FXAA is quite blurry. On nvidia through the control panel or nvidia inspector, you can enable transparency supersampling to get better foliage, eg:

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/capturebipqu.jpg

Enabling bTransparencyMultisampling=1 in SkyrimPrefs.ini might help too, or you could use the FXAA injector which is less blurry than the in game version.

Top Bottom