• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSM: PS4 specs more powerful than Xbox 720

Status
Not open for further replies.
How will these systems even be able to use that much more power?

Development costs have skyrocketed already and there isn't much more in terms of game design that can be improved with 3D's 4th generation.

Better AI, physics, etc.

More power won't benefit A.I. at this point. Hell Unreal Tournament 2004 still has better A.I. than any game I've played this gen. Not to mention better A.I. will significantly harm gameplay.

Physics? How many games actually used stronger physics notably more this gen than Half-Life 2 did? All I can think is Red Faction.

More power won't benefit A.I. at this point. Hell Unreal Tournament 2004 still has better A.I. than any game I've played this gen. Not to mention better A.I. will significantly harm gameplay.

Physics? How many games actually used stronger physics notably more this gen than Half-Life 2 did? All I can think is Red Faction.

'Better' A.I. doesn't just mean that it's smarter at killing you.

It means more complex dynamic behavior and less scripted behavior.

Special J

Banned

YES, one of the few people here that understand improving a.i. wont make games more enjoyable. it is one of the biggest farce perpetuated by people that dont understand game design. I'm not talking about broken ass a.i. like in skyrim, but typical a.i. like you see in cod, half life, killzone, halo are more than adequate.

'Better' A.I. doesn't just mean that it's smarter at killing you.

It means more complex dynamic behavior and less scripted behavior.

non specific ideas like that sound great but makes no difference in actual gameplay. Take cod4 mile high club for example a highly scripted level yet during giantbomb breaking bad: call of duty mile high club runs has a level of randomness.

So apparently there's no difference between fighting the zombies in the classic Resident Evil games and fighting the Ganados in RE4. Interesting.

Special J

Banned
So apparently there's no difference between fighting the zombies in the classic Resident Evil games and fighting the Ganados in RE4. Interesting.

lolwut? you're not even talking about this generation. and the game design called for those enemy behaviors in both games.

i even made it a point that i was talking about a.i. standards we see in a majority of current decent games.

Why is this so shocking? Its as I've said A.I. hasn't improved at all since Unreal Tournament 2004. Better A.I. would just result in the player getting frustrated from constantly getting killed all the time. Enemies NEED to be dumb. They NEED to be predictable. Could you imagine playing Call of Duty where you were going up against a dozen enemies as intelligent as the players you go up against online? It just wouldn't work. Its why A.I standards haven't improved at all in years.

Both fights level of A.I. could likely be done on the original Playstation as well.

Better AI won't make games better.... wow. Thanks for that truly incredible piece of insight.

Your welcome.

Why is this so shocking? Its as I've said A.I. hasn't improved at all since Unreal Tournament 2004. Better A.I. would just result in the player getting frustrated from constantly getting killed all the time. Enemies NEED to be dumb. They NEED to be predictable. Could you imagine playing Call of Duty where you were going up against a dozen enemies as intelligent as the players you go up against online? It just wouldn't work. Its why A.I standards haven't improved at all in years..

I already posted about how increased complexity of behavior isn't the same as the AI just getting better at killing you. That just means it's better at aiming and dodging.

'Better AI' means stuff like AI that does a lot more to react to each other, to the environment, and to the player's actions, providing for interesting emergent scenarios.

CLEEK

but typical a.i. like you see in cod, half life, killzone, halo are more than adequate.

Your entire argument falls down by the games you listed. The only game where the AI is adequate is Halo CE, because, still to this day, it hasn't been bettered. Even by its own sequels. The addition of enemies who by design were just bullet sponges hampered the latter games. (as an aside, the moment in Halo 3 that summed up the game to me was early on when you first encounter squad of Brutes in a corridor in the base. I engaged them, then fell back, expecting them to give chase and fuck me over. But they just milled around in their initial area, allowing me to snipe them all from afar. Really disappointing AI).

Combat is the worst aspect of the HL games, improving with each sequel, but still lacking the highs of Halo.

At the other end of the scale, COD games are just light gun games dressed up in FPS clothing. The AI is super cheap and entirely predicable.

If all games had AI as exciting to fight against as Halo CE, you'd be onto something. But they don't, so you're not. I also remember reading an interview with one of the Bungie guys who said the introduction of moveable scenery in Halo 2 confused the hell out of the AI, which prevented the classic emergent gameplay firefights from CE with Elites.

Your entire argument falls down by the games you listed. The only game where the AI is adequate is Halo CE, because, still to this day, it hasn't been bettered. Even by its own sequels. The addition of enemies who by design were just bullet sponges hampered the latter games. (as an aside, the moment in Halo 3 that summed up the game to me was early on when you first encounter squad of Brutes in a corridor in the base. I engaged them, then fell back, expecting them to give chase and fuck me over. But they just milled around in their initial area, allowing me to snipe them all from afar. Really disappointing AI).

Combat is the worst aspect of the HL games, improving with each sequel, but still lacking the highs of Halo.

At the other end of the scale, COD games are just light gun games dressed up in FPS clothing. The AI is super cheap and entirely predicable.

If all games had AI as exciting to fight against as Halo CE, you'd be onto something. But they don't, so you're not. I also remember reading an interview with one of the Bungie guys who said the introduction of moveable scenery in Halo 2 confused the hell out of the AI, which prevented the classic emergent gameplay firefights from CE with Elites.

What difficulty did you play halo 3 on? Because i'm pretty sure the brutes in question do charge at you on the hardest difficulty. Then again it has been a long ass time since i played that level.

Zzoram

If PS4 does have more power than the Xbox 1080, that's going to be another blunder by Sony.

The marginal extra power the PS3 has over the 360 didn't work out in their favor because they ended up more expensive than the Xbox.

Playstation as a brand has lost a lot of it's lustre so Sony can no longer bank on being able to charge a premium over Xbox.

itsgreen

The claims seem kind of vague... and it seems kind of pointless to continue arguing until someone says something concrete about specs...

I mean be specific are we talking 0.1% or 30% and it what area is it more powerful and what are the real world implications...

CLEEK

Heroic and Legendary. Brutes only chase you if you get in close, but if you run away, they fall back to their predetermined position.

I was hoping that they would run after me, or in their team have some flank me, with others gave covering fire. But no, nothing like that. So there is huge room for improvement in enemy AI.

CLEEK

This touches on my previous comment aroudn the change to AI in Halo 2.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bungies-damian-isla-interview

Replaying Halo for the umpteenth time with Anniversary, you really do pick up the set of rules that Elites, Jackals and Grunts have. The three types of enemies, each with their own reactions to the same situation, and how they react to each other (Grunts running of in panic when you kill their Elite leader etc).

It means there are a ton of variables that mean no two attempts are the same. But on the other had, the limited sets of rules means you can find holes in their 'intelligence'. Not giving chase, not working as a co-ordinated team etc.

With each sequel, the number of enemy types, weapons, vehicales and each enemy's rule set has increased. But I personally find less is more, and the combat in CE is still the King.

It's been ages since I played either, but I recall on my first time playing through HL2 thinking that HL1 had better AI.

Maybe its the way the encounters happened, but it seems like the soldiers in HL were more believable than the combine dudes in HL2.

CLEEK

Yeah, I should have said the AI in the HL2 games improving with each sequel. I found the AI in HL to be amazing back in the day, but was massively underwhelmed by the combat in HL2.

But that's probably because HL came out in a world before Halo, so if I revisited it now I'd find it lacking.

odhiex

In every Generations... in every consoles/systems...

There will be good Games, and Bad Games.... that's all I care the most. Better Visuals, Sounds, AIs, etc are just bonuses. :)

It's been ages since I played either, but I recall on my first time playing through HL2 thinking that HL1 had better AI.

Maybe its the way the encounters happened, but it seems like the soldiers in HL were more believable than the combine dudes in HL2.

Two issues with the Combine in HL2:

-On the hardest difficulty, they have less health than the HL1 marines on that game's easiest difficulty

-They've got really smart AI, but it got hamstrung in order to better show off the Gravity Gun, so they have this habit of never being evasive and frequently charging straight at you so you can chuck a toilet into their face.

StevieP

Banned
In this thread:
- iamshadowlark's condescending responses say that bolting a different CPU into the Cell would be cake (but going to a different technology, such as GPGPU, would be prohibitively difficult).

- console bullshots and photoshops to the extreme, claiming in-game graphics

- people believing AI is related to vastly powerful CPUs more than it is related to programming (hint: we get the same AI promises every generation)

- NVidia GPU in an 8th gen console. lol. AMD has the whole thing tied up, and their CPU (in the form of an APU, perhaps) may even be going into one of the consoles.

Development costs have skyrocketed already and there isn't much more in terms of game design that can be improved with 3D's 4th generation.

I'm hoping most will just make games at 1080p and 60fps instead of focusing on other areas of graphics.

We get better image quality and they save $$$. Win/win.

In this thread:
- iamshadowlark's condescending responses say that bolting a different CPU into the Cell would be cake (but going to a different technology, such as GPGPU, would be prohibitively difficult).

- console bullshots and photoshops to the extreme, claiming in-game graphics

- people believing AI is related to vastly powerful CPUs more than it is related to programming (hint: we get the same AI promises every generation)

- NVidia GPU in an 8th gen console. lol. AMD has the whole thing tied up, and their CPU (in the form of an APU, perhaps) may even be going into one of the consoles.

Prove it. Prove these mystic "photoshops."

U jelly of dem' PS3 exclusive graphics ?

StevieP

Banned
Prove it. Prove these mystic "photoshops."

U jelly of dem' PS3 exclusive graphics ?

Why have I never heard of this joke character before today? I've been on GAF for more than half a decade.
For reference, those 360 Gears shots are just as bullshopped as the others

squidyj

I'm hoping most will just make games at 1080p and 60fps instead of focusing on other areas of graphics.

We get better image quality and they save $$$. Win/win.

Screw that noise I want graphics, animations, soft body, cloth, physics. bump to 1080p if you want but 30fps is FINE.

Why have I never heard of this joke character before today? I've been on GAF for more than half a decade.
For reference, those 360 Gears shots are just as bullshopped as the others

Well you can't just claim something and not back it up.

And actually, those 360 gears shots are not really BS. That's what the game could look like if the Xbox was not restrained by it's old tech. It goes to show the difference between modern PC's and the current gen consoles.

StevieP

Banned
Well you can't just claim something and not back it up.

And actually, those 360 gears shots are not really BS. That's what the game could look like if the Xbox was not restrained by it's old tech. It goes to show the difference between modern PC's and the current gen consoles.

I hear BF3 looks even better on PS3 than it does on PC with 580 SLI and an i7 2600k.

If you're talking about gunplay, I agree, it was always lacking, even in HL1. However, Black Ops AI in HL1 was great for its time. I haven't played it in a while so I wouldn't know how it holds up today, but HL2 was a disappointment in that regard.

F.E.A.R. is another example of a game with excellent AI, it's right up there with Halo, perhaps even surpassing it.

Far Cry is yet another, although that game felt really cheap in the later stages, and not only because of the mutants. That sequence in which an almost never-ending stream of soldiers keeps coming through a bunch of doors is one of the most frustrating I've ever experienced, and not for any good reasons.

I hear BF3 looks even better on PS3 than it does on PC with 580 SLI and an i7 2600k.

What ?

PS3 BF3 looks good sure, but have you seen the HD PC screenshots ? I've seen PC's with smaller GPU's then the one you mentioned produce better looking screen shots then either console.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I swear the stuff Gaf says is ridiculous. If Sony so chooses to once again have the highest spec console why would that dramatically inflate its price? What contributed to the PS3's price and extreme loss of marketshare was the Bluray player that was shoehorned into the console. It was a gamble that Sony won by ensuring it would be the dominant player for HD movies, games and other applications but it was a loss in the sense that the extreme success of the PS1/PS2 weren't repeated. Ultimately though their strategy was forward looking and for it, Microsoft and Nintendo will have to either adopt Bluray and possibly pay out royalties or they can either focus on digital download which wont happen or opt to once again go with basic dvd drives and ship what will likely be larger next gen games on even more numerous amount of dvds.

Honestly, the Vita should reveal Sony's new strategy or what is actually a return to its former self. They are selling the Vitas are a reasonable price possibly unfair to Sony considering the price the 3ds debuted with. Im sure Sony recoup much of the market that it lost to Microsoft. Though Microsoft is king in the US for now, who's to say it will remain that way? All Sony has to do is release the PS4 within 6 months are a comparable pricepoint with stellar launch games, a refreshed emphasis on player connectivity and interaction and truly focus on building a bond or community. If they couple that with Microsoft marketing, I guarantee Sony will once again retake America(s). The ingredients and signs are there. They have a strong 1st party team, they offer the best variety of exclusives per genre, the Vita is a sign of their new pricing strategy and the Uncharted 3 commercials were hopefully a sign of what all future in house games marketing will be like.

Sony just needs to ensure that the PS4 is backwards compatible and easy to be developed for and port to so they'll be the leading platform. This will end the conception that their ports are all terrible as Im sure that's hurting their third party sells. This will result in better third part sells and third party relations, more consoles being sold, positive word of mouth and increased customer loyalty. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by rushing to be the first out of the gate with 360. Its high failure rate will ensure it sees less customers next gen. The door swings both ways as the same holds true for Sony though it was on a much lesser scale with the fattys but that coupled with the hacking incident personally weren't as tarnishing.

Im hoping Sony doesnt pull a Nintendo and half ass the hardware. I want my Killzone to blow minds. They will hopefully have a great cpu and cpu and ample ram/memory and a decently sized hard drive.

KageMaru

I swear the stuff Gaf says is ridiculous. If Sony so chooses to once again have the highest spec console why would that dramatically inflate its price? What contributed to the PS3's price and extreme loss of marketshare was the Bluray player that was shoehorned into the console. It was a gamble that Sony won by ensuring it would be the dominant player for HD movies, games and other applications but it was a loss in the sense that the extreme success of the PS1/PS2 weren't repeated. Ultimately though their strategy was forward looking and for it, Microsoft and Nintendo will have to either adopt Bluray and possibly pay out royalties or they can either focus on digital download which wont happen or opt to once again go with basic dvd drives and ship what will likely be larger next gen games on even more numerous amount of dvds.

Honestly, the Vita should reveal Sony's new strategy or what is actually a return to its former self. They are selling the Vitas are a reasonable price possibly unfair to Sony considering the price the 3ds debuted with. Im sure Sony recoup much of the market that it lost to Microsoft. Though Microsoft is king in the US for now, who's to say it will remain that way? All Sony has to do is release the PS4 within 6 months are a comparable pricepoint with stellar launch games, a refreshed emphasis on player connectivity and interaction and truly focus on building a bond or community. If they couple that with Microsoft marketing, I guarantee Sony will once again retake America(s). The ingredients and signs are there. They have a strong 1st party team, they offer the best variety of exclusives per genre, the Vita is a sign of their new pricing strategy and the Uncharted 3 commercials were hopefully a sign of what all future in house games marketing will be like.

Sony just needs to ensure that the PS4 is backwards compatible and easy to be developed for and port to so they'll be the leading platform. This will end the conception that their ports are all terrible as Im sure that's hurting their third party sells. This will result in better third part sells and third party relations, more consoles being sold, positive word of mouth and increased customer loyalty. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by rushing to be the first out of the gate with 360. Its high failure rate will ensure it sees less customers next gen. The door swings both ways as the same holds true for Sony though it was on a much lesser scale with the fattys but that coupled with the hacking incident personally weren't as tarnishing.

Im hoping Sony doesnt pull a Nintendo and half ass the hardware. I want my Killzone to blow minds. They will hopefully have a great cpu and cpu and ample ram/memory and a decently sized hard drive.

lol

i-Lo

You know, I just wish for Sony and MS to NOT show us those bullsh!t tech demos as if they represented the true leap in gaming and graphical fidelity. It's just amazing to see how complacent and tolerant we have become to stuff like those since in reality actual games more often than not lag behind and almost never achieve parity with those dreams-for-sale tech demos.

iceatcs

I don't think you will have to get more money to make more graphics heavy.

You can still using some of current-gen modelling level, with that then, you can have more better image quality like better filters and higher resolution render and shadow. Allowing upper the limitation of object physic. All of those upgrades look like won't require any extra developing work. Maybe just more time on testing.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

I like turtles.

Nice, even got in a "shot themselves in the foot"

Probably 1000 posts too late to get the reaction you're hoping for though.

NIGHT-

.................joke post?

Procedural content.

Did someone say... procedural?

zihC2.jpg

I already posted about how increased complexity of behavior isn't the same as the AI just getting better at killing you. That just means it's better at aiming and dodging.

'Better AI' means stuff like AI that does a lot more to react to each other, to the environment, and to the player's actions, providing for interesting emergent scenarios.

You barely explained this in detail...

what about the simulation of crowd dynamics. One of the few innovative features that occured this gen with the increased processing power was the use of crowd dynamics in stealth games. Assassins Creed would've been impossible to create last gen because the ability to simulate the size of crowds and ai would result in an extremely unrealistic experience (you can't really disappear into a crowd of 6 or 7). A game like grand theft auto, with large realistic crowds, could provide unique experience to the open world genre.

Another consideration is physics simulation, and the scaling of dynamic destruction in games from selective areas of a map to all elements of a map, not only that the simulation of building structure could provide more engaging and uniqe distruction then the cookie cutter use of it now. Or what about simulation of other processes, the simulation of things like weather, or economy, or even life for a game such as the sims.

danwarb

Rather than better pointing and ducking, I'd hope for the kinds of AI improvements that allow for more dynamic characters in games. Characters that adapt and maybe even generate some reasonably convincing dialogue on the fly?

nasos_333

Said the same thing about PS3... Yet Gears of war 3 looks as good as the best looking PS3 games. Not to mention 90 percent of multi platform games favor on 360.. I'll take this with a grain of salt

My thoughts exactly

Plus i think they just lie about it and they have no idea what PS4 or xbox 720 will have inside

Play a pc game then come back and edit your post.

The only gaming system I have is a highend PC...

I noticed nothing gameplay wise that The Witcher 2 did that couldn't be done on modern consoles or even with older tech. Hell I've seen better A.I. in Nintendo 64 games. Metro 2033 had meh A.I. and didn't use physics much at all from my memory but then again I only got to the half-way point. Just two games off the top of my head.

what about the simulation of crowd dynamics. One of the few innovative features that occured this gen with the increased processing power was the use of crowd dynamics in stealth games. Assassins Creed would've been impossible to create last gen because the ability to simulate the size of crowds and ai would result in an extremely unrealistic experience (you can't really disappear into a crowd of 6 or 7). A game like grand theft auto, with large realistic crowds, could provide unique experience to the open world genre.

Another consideration is physics simulation, and the scaling of dynamic destruction in games from selective areas of a map to all elements of a map, not only that the simulation of building structure could provide more engaging and uniqe distruction then the cookie cutter use of it now. Or what about simulation of other processes, the simulation of things like weather, or economy, or even life for a game such as the sims.

Some good examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom