• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus: Uprising will support the 3DS Circle Pad Pro

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cash bet: $10 of my money against $10 of your money, to be paid in paypal or steam gifts

my position: the next 3DS hardware revision, when it is announced, will have a second analog stick.

your position: either the 3DS never gets a hardware revision, or when it does, it does not have the second analog stick built in.

any takers? :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
ITT people don't read. There's no confirmation of twin stick controls anywhere, just being able to use it as a lefty mode. Don't start assuming it'll be there or there'll just be rage when it releases.

I am happy it's there as a left-dominant writer, but I'll probably trudge through it without the CPP just to carry around less.

As I edited to say above, it's Sakurai. It would be mind blowing if there aren't fully configurable controls in the game setup. He always gives as many options as possible so people can play the games the way they want.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
cash bet: $10 of my money against $10 of your money, to be paid in paypal or steam gifts

my position: the next 3DS hardware revision, when it is announced, will have a second analog stick.

your position: either the 3DS never gets a hardware revision, or when it does, it does not have the second analog stick built in.

Before this I probably would have taken it, but now that Nintendo is supporting games with it I don't think I can take that stance anymore. It seemed like Nintendo just wanted to get it out for 3rd parties and try to forget about it.

I'm wondering if Luigi's Mansion 2 will support it now.

Alrus

I never understood the constant claim for dual analog for this. Using the stylus isn't uncomfortable and the control never seemed as awful as people made them out to be.

I mean it would be nice if the option was there for people who want it, but it's really not a game breaking issue if they don't implement it.

Good news for lefties though.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, this is only support for left handed people and not true dual analog controls (left analog = move, right analog = aim). OP giveth hope; full article taketh away :(

Busaiku

Are there really people that would rather use a stick for aiming in the shooting portions?
I mean it's not the Wii Remote/Nunchuk setup, but touch was the next best thing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I never understood the constant claim for dual analog for this. Using the stylus isn't uncomfortable and the control never seemed as awful as people made them out to be.

I mean it would be nice if the option was there for people who want it, but it's really not a game breaking issue if they don't implement it.

Good news for lefties though.

A lot of people, myself included, found the Metroid Prime Hunters control concept first used on the DS to be uncomfortable for extended play. That's it. It was a necessary hack for FPS games on the DS.

We are clamouring for circle pad pro support in games like this, so that we have the option. Kid Icarus looks like a fairly hard core 3rd person shooter/beat em up game. I wouldn't look forward to playing harder fights and challenges with the configuration that cramps my hands.

Bullza2o

ITT people don't read. There's no confirmation of twin stick controls anywhere, just being able to use it as a lefty mode. Don't start assuming it'll be there or there'll just be rage when it releases.

I am happy it's there as a left-dominant writer, but I'll probably trudge through it without the CPP just to carry around less.

All other games for it are dual-analog though right?

I hope they don't have to dumb down the game's difficulty to accomodate the slow, inaccurate dual analog control scheme. Hopefully they do it like Treasure did with S&P2 and just force dual analog players deal with their inferior controls while playing through the same challenges.

gogojira

Anyone taking this bet is going to lose $10.

Shouldn't your position also include that the revision will have the same two extra triggers as the CPP? Or do you not expect that to happen?

And the other position should be clarified that only the next revision won't have the stick, leaving open the possibility that some future crazy revision might have it.

Not that I'm taking the bet, mostly just wondering if your position logically includes the triggers.

What happens if they announce two SKUs at E3, one with and one without? Call the whole thing off?

I'd rather keep my ten dollars

I would never place money on Nintendo making sense.

Boney

Banned

unban burntpork or pramath

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thank you, Sakurai. Now I'll finally be able to play this game!

Hopefully the Circle Pad Pro is bundled with it. :O

JimboJones said:
Can i use the ABXY buttons for movment?
I'd rather that than having to rely on that attachment.
I don't think it supports that. Hence I didn't really pay much attention to the game since it wasn't lefty-friendly until now.

Regardless, I recall having to do that for Magical Starsign since I had to hold the stylus in my left hand, and not having much fun with that at all (and it wasn't just because the game was utterly bland).

JimboJones

Thank

I don't think it supports that. Hence I didn't really pay much attention to the game since it wasn't lefty-friendly until now.

Thats a bummer, kind of reduces the portability of the game if this is my only control option to use.

I used the ABXY set up with Metroid Prime: Hunters and got on fine with it, should at least be an option.

MisterHero

it won't get a second stick because the first isn't even a stick

I would agree with you if you meant 2nd slider though

do i get 10 dollars now

mr_chun

Useless. I'm left-handed, and I never, ever use the inverted controls. Holding the stylus in the wrong hand is significantly less awkward than using my right thumb for "move" and my left for "look/aim". I'm too trained by DA and M/KB to bother switching.

They should have added DA support if they were going to throw CPP into the mix. No excuse not to.

watershed

Banned
I am disappointed in this news. When I read the headline I thought that meant I'd be able to use two circle pads like two analogs but not so much. They should have taken more time or whatever it takes to get the 2nd circle pad to replace the stylus. Bummer.

Heh only Monster Hunter 3ds will use the second stick guys.

And Resident Evil and Kid Icarus and I bet every single AAA title this year too.

Nintys never going to do a revision give it up guys.

I have a different position - that a 3DS hardware revision won't be released until at least June 2013.

The way some people have reacted, you'd have thought they just announced that it would exclusively work with the circle pad pro and not just that an optional left handed mode that probably took all of five minutes for them to patch in.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I'll take it. You'll have to remind me though whenever it happens because I will forget in like 12 hours.

Jharp

Haven't been paying attention to CES or any Nintendo announcements recently- will the next 3DS iteration include the second analog/circle pad/whatever?

Though I would have loved a dual-stick control option, I think this really confirms that Nintendo is committed to the idea of the second stick for the lifetime of the 3DS.

Now the question becomes: will they require users to buy a revised 3DS or the circle pad peripheral to play certain games, like they did with Wii Motion Plus?

hatchx

Banned
Shouldn't your position also include that the revision will have the same two extra triggers as the CPP? Or do you not expect that to happen?

This is the most curious thing.

The CCpro has the extra trigger buttons. Will those be on the revision?

I also wonder if they announce a revision it is meant to take over the original or to be an additional. Nintendo 3DS dropping to 169.99+game bundle with a Nintendo 3DS Pro (with dual analog, double triggers, bigger screens and extra battery life) for 199.99?

I just see the two triggers scaring off casuals, but if games like MGS3D, RE:R, and Monster Hunter support the back two triggers, they now HAVE to include those options. Developers must know this is the plan to some extent, otherwise why bother supporting a control scheme for a hacked-on device only to be sold at gamestop.

ALSO where does the marketing and release of the 3DS pro fit in with the Wii U?

It is all very very curious.

Emitan

This is the most curious thing.

The CCpro has the extra trigger buttons. Will those be on the revision?

I also wonder if they announce a revision it is meant to take over the original or to be an additional. Nintendo 3DS dropping to 169.99+game bundle with a Nintendo 3DS Pro (with dual analog, double triggers, bigger screens and extra battery life) for 199.99?

I just see the two triggers scaring off casuals, but if games like MGS3D, RE:R, and Monster Hunter support the back two triggers, they now HAVE to include those options. Developers must know this is the plan to some extent, otherwise why bother supporting a control scheme for a hacked-on device only to be sold at gamestop.

ALSO where does the marketing and release of the 3DS pro fit in with the Wii U?

It is all very very curious.

Developers don't care the add on is sold in Gamestop. There aren't Gamestops in Japan.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I'm with you dude.

Top Bottom