• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Anime] Your "Controversial" Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I saw the "controversial opinions" thread in the gaming section and I was about to post when I realized that most of my "controversial" opinions about games have at least some vocal minority of backers. Some of my less mainstream opinions about anime, however, are seemingly mine and mine alone. So I thought I'd start this thread for animu fans to vent their unpopular opinions about animu, and maybe find out if other people have unpopular opinions as well, and in that case these people can rejoice and be hipsters together. So, without further ado...

The Cowboy Bebop dub is good, but way overrated. Steve Blum and Wendee Lee (and whoever the hell played Jet) can't emote for shit.

For that matter, Cowboy Bebop itself is 50% overrated - by which I mean that roughly half the episodes are bland, formulaic, and utterly disposable. The other half are phenomenal and completely deserving of the hype. Since the last few episodes are among these, people tend to look back and remember only the good parts, and thus get it into their head that Cowboy Bebop is perfect. Which it's not.

The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime - an excellent, if flawed series in its own right - is way, way better than Brotherhood - an uninspired, watered-down, mind-numbingly literal adaptation of the manga with way worse music, direction, dialogue, voice acting and characterization.

Rebuild of Evangelion is to Evangelion as the Star Wars prequel trilogy is to Star Wars.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is better than the original movie.

The dubs of FLCL, Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin are unwatchable.

I love the dub for Evangelion, even though it is kinda hokey and the show is kinda not.

I find most Miyazaki movies boring and most Kon films leave me cold.

Yoko Kanno is not my favorite anime composer, and much of her post-90s stuff is unremarkable.

Naruto is one of the better shonen series and I'll take it over Bleach, One Piece or Dragon Ball any day.

Kenji Kamiyama is a hugely overhyped director whose shows are stilted, excessively talky, poorly paced, and utterly devoid of believable human sentiment.

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa and Rurouni Kenshin: Reflections are both very good, despite some missteps.

Misc. overrated series (in order from least to most overrated): Haibane Renmei, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Darker Than Black, Baccano, Monster, Elfen Lied, anything by Kyoto Animation.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is 100% NOT overrated (though also not for everyone). Shinji Ikari is one of the most compelling protagonists in anime.

All I can think of for now. More to come. Probably.

Seda

I didn't really care for Trigun.

That's about it.

I really need to watch Cowboy Bebop again. I barely remember anything about it. In fact, I'm not sure if I ever watched the last few episodes.

survivor

Banned
I have a feeling lots of posts here is gonna be about how anime sucks now even though it's not a controversial opinion.

Anyway for me

- high school settings are awesome
- most mecha anime are shit with the exception of Gurren Lagann
- Makoto Shinkai is the best animu films director

If you refer to something as being "slice of life," I'm surely going to hate it and probably be creeped out by it. Just hearing that phrase makes me shudder.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I HATE the vast majority of eva fans. They have turned a series that I really didn't care for into one that I loathe. Their holier than thou attitute is so damn infuriating that there's a good chance I will get into an argument with them on the subject instead of ignoring it.

If you refer to something as being "slice of life," I'm surely going to hate it and probably be creeped out by it. Just hearing that phrase makes me shudder.
Knucks.

Alucrid said:
people think elfen lied is good?
Last I checked some people did. Or has everyone finally gotten over that shit? I remember back in the mid-2000s people couldn't shut up about it.

I mean, I don't think it's terrible, it's just that its value is as dumb exploitation-horror, not the loldeep drama it masquerades as.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Masaaki Yuasa is a garbage director

Monster isn't good, it's silly as fuck and plays it completely straight. Dumb.

Miyazaki's last good movie was Porco Rosso.

Isao Takahata (the other big Ghibli director) is far superior to Miyazaki and Only Yesterday is far beyond anything Miyazaki can do, has done, or will do.

FMA's first series is superior to Brotherhood, which has horribly stilted direction.

Akira (movie) is far superior to the manga, which is a horribly bloated glorified artbook with zero sense of pace that goes nowhere.

FLCL dub is garbage. It tries too hard to be the JP track down to the inflections and is just goofy and unlistenable.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is a great movie that gets far too much hate. It doesn't come close to the first movie.. but, few things do.

K-ON is genuinely great.

Rebuild of Evangelion is a godawful waste of time for everyone involved. Eyesearingly horrible CG, horrible new characters that are there to sell figures, bad character animation, stupid writing, etc. There is not a thing that is worthwhile in either of the two released movies. Bad bad bad.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is horribly bland and tries really badly to be a liveaction show in every way it can. It's a horribly neutered vision of the GITS universe. Oshii's interpretation of GITS takes huge steaming shits on SAC.

I HATE the vast majority of eva fans. They have turned a series that I really didn't care for into one that I loathe. Their holier than thou attitute is so damn infuriating that there's a good chance I will get into an argument with them on the subject instead of ignoring it.
As a huge Eva fan I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of my insufferably obnoxious brethren.

The dubs of FLCL, Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin are unwatchable.

I find most Miyazaki movies boring and most Kon films leave me cold.
You're a terrible person, and you should feel bad about having opinions this wrong.

Uh, I guess my only real controversial opinion appears to be that Monster is an awful anime. The only thing that isn't awful in it is Detective Lunge and Grimmer.

Grakl

I dunno; Kaiba is the best anime series? Spirited Away better than Akira or any other movie?

That's all I got.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The only good series GAINAX has ever done, and ever will do, is Gurren Lagann. Evangelion, Kare Kano, FLCL are all passable but insanely overrated. The rest of the stuff is some of the worst stuff I've ever watched in life. Both Gunbuster and Panty and Stocking in particular.

Oshii is garbage. Straight up. Right up there with Anno and Ikuhara.

Soma

I liked Angel Beats

ULnDR.gif

Seda

GOD, THANK YOU

Best way to watch FMA is to watch the original anime up until the "branching point" and then switch to Brotherhood.

I really liked both series regardless.

What I really liked about the original anime is that the
Homunculus had weaknesses, where in Brotherhood the were basically invincible and could only be defeated by burning them to death.

I think Moe is part of a pervasive problem in over-fetishizing things over there (like school girls) that's led to a declining birth rate.

Wowzers that's a whole lot of terrible opinions in the OP.

That said, hmm. I guess the one that comes to mind is: Gurren Lagann is a terrible show.

I think it's pretty funny to read all the "it's so deep" comments but I saw in the 15 years no smart conclusions about the stuff. EVA was for me ever the anime counterpart of Linkin Park for the 12 years old target group.

I need to get into anime more. I don't know half of what you guys are talking about.
Don't do it. It's a long, spiraling tunnel with which the only end is darkness.

I've bought like 25 dvds (series and movies) over the last three or four months. I've watched like 4 movies, and the pile grows ever larger. WHY CAN'T I STOP?!

edit: I don't know if it's controversial or not, but I thought the second Ghost in the Shell movie was vapid and tried far too hard to appear like it was intelligent by constantly spouting quotes from sources and authors far more interesting than it ever came close to being.
I also thought the second season of Stand Alone Complex was abysmal, aside from the one episode with the teammate that had to
confront the woman that was obsessed with him and transferred into a body just like his.

Best way to watch FMA is to watch the original anime up until the "branching point" and then switch to Brotherhood.
Not really, because FMA1 starts setting in motion plot threads that are completely different from the manga very early on.

Don't do it. It's a long, spiraling tunnel with which the only end is darkness.

I've bought like 25 dvds (series and movies) over the last three or four months. I've watched like 4 movies, and the pile grows ever larger. WHY CAN'T I STOP?!

But addiction is so tempting.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Paprika was a big waste of my time. I really wanted to like it too, but it really just didn't want to click with me.

There were moments when i thought, "Oh hey, you've finally become interesting. Let me keep watching" only for it to become more nonsensical in the next scene. I usually follow confusing narratives pretty well, I think, but this one really went out of its way to lose me.

Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the dub but I really didn't feel like the story wanted me to follow along. It's been years though, so I'd like to revisit it again sometime and see if my thoughts here hold it up.

It had great characterizations, though.

I feel like with anime, for some reason there are going to be a lot of repeating answers. That said I don't think any of my opinions are contraversial. I usually like the same things everyone seems to like and dislike what my "crowd" seems to dislike.

Anyway here we go:

I don't like Elfien Lied.

I don't think Gundam Unicorn is all that great.

I really like Gundam Seed and think the first half of Destiny is very good.

Macross Zero sucked.

Diebuster kind of sucks.

FMA: Brotherhood's tone and story are far more ridiculous and too shounen for me. It's still good, but I liked the 1st series better. Too bad about that movie.
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 was good.

Utena movie>Utena TV show.

Wolf's Rain was pretty bad. The ending was awful.

Gundam 0083 is pretty bad.

On re-wtach, Gundam 00 is quite good. Shame about the 2nd half.

I'm afraid to watch Gundam Zeta on fear that certain members of Gundam Gaf may be correct about it.

Gurren Lagann is great. A real love letter to mecha anime.

Giant Robo is perhaps the best anime of our time.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is extremely well written for an anime.
Don't really care for Death Note.

Don't really like the rebuild movies and they make me question if I like Eva in general.

Really like dubs.

Code Geass is extremely entertaining. I re watched R2 and had so much fun. That said, it is extremely stupid. I honestly don't think anyone can argue that it is'nt. Its such a poorly written piece of trash. But more power to you if you think other wise.

Don't really care for One Piece.

Didn't care for Samurai Champloo. It just didn't have as good of a story as Bebop

Wowzers that's a whole lot of terrible opinions in the OP.

That said, hmm. I guess the one that comes to mind is: Gurren Lagann is a terrible show.
You have the worst one.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I don't get why the US Dragon Ball Z soundtrack is better. OMG guitars and heavy metal screams. Horrible.

Emitan

There are a lot of shows people would hate if they weren't anime. I would probably think K-On!! was MLP girly garbage if it was western, but for some reason I like it.

Seda

I don't get why the US Dragon Ball Z soundtrack is better. OMG guitars and heavy metal screams. Horrible.

I prefer the US broadcast audio simply because it's what I grew up with.

I pretty sure me preferring the US audio is the controversial opinion. Feels like everyone else would disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom