• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Natiko

Banned
You've got a 1k PSP, so just get a Pandora and magic memory stick from someone and it'll be saved in no time.

Hmm, I'll look around. If I did this would I always have to use them? It seems like an 8GB magic memory stick is fairly expensive and I wouldn't want to downgrade in size. If I can just use them to fix it and then go back to my old stuff it isn't quite as expensive.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hmm, I'll look around. If I did this would I always have to use them? It seems like an 8GB magic memory stick is fairly expensive and I wouldn't want to downgrade in size. If I can just use them to fix it and then go back to my old stuff it isn't quite as expensive.
You use it when your PSP is software-side bricked to go back to OFW/CFW. Have you tried running the console without memory card inserted?

Natiko

Banned
You use it when your PSP is software-side bricked to go back to OFW/CFW. Have you tried running the console without memory card inserted?

Just did, still just shows a black screen. So I use it solely to get my PSP fixed again and then I don't need it after that assuming I don't break it a second time?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just did, still just shows a black screen. So I use it solely to get my PSP fixed again and then I don't need it after that assuming I don't break it a second time?

Yes. But you need a memorystick and jigkick battery depending on your hardware to use it.

Natiko

Banned
Yes. But you need a memorystick and jigkick battery depending on your hardware to use it.

So basically I buy a pandora battery and magic memory stick, use those two things to fix my PSP, and then I don't need them again and go back to using my regular battery and memory stick?

fatty

New update to the guide (emulators and PSOne game conversion added)

PSP CUSTOM FIRMWARE GUIDE - UPDATING TO 6.20 PRO OR 6.60 PRO CFW

Chances are that if you are here you are probably in one of the two following categories:

- (New?) PSP user looking to venture into the world of custom firmware (CFW)

- Existing CFW user looking to update their PSP but have been out of the loop so long that they aren't sure where to start

First thing you will have to decide is if you would rather upgrade to 6.20 PRO or 6.60 PRO. Main difference is that 6.20 PRO is a permanent installation, meaning that it will boot into custom firmware every time you reboot. 6.60 PRO is temporary, which will require you to run a program called the Fast Recovery Tool whenever you want to access CFW. Most people opt for 6.60, since running Fast Recovery Tool only takes about 5 seconds, and you will remain in CFW even if you place the PSP in sleep mode, which is what most people use anyway.

If you want to read a little more about the pros and cons check out this thread. Some small things to note, it appears that there is more support for plugins and CTF themes (customized themes for your PSP XMB) on 6.20 but most still prefer 6.60 since you have the latest official firmware and can access PSN. If you're still not sure what to choose, I would recommend going with 6.60 PRO.

So let's get started...

UPGRADING YOUR PSP ON OFFICIAL FIRMWARE TO 6.60 PRO

Follow Wololo's guide: PSP Custom Firmware for dummies

Very straight forward, if you need more help determining your type of PSP, check the first section of this guide, which includes pictures of the different PSP models. Everything else from the guide is pretty self explanatory.

UPGRADING YOUR CFW PSP TO 6.20 PRO (PERMANENT) or 6.60 PRO (TEMPORARY)

If you are on custom firmware, you will need to flash/install a clean original official firmware before upgrading using a program called Hellcat's Recovery Flasher along with OFW 5.00 to flash to, then you will be able continue with the upgrade. This is all detailed at How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP. (Video tutorial on Youtube)

From here you can continue on in the same tutorial to install either 6.20 PRO or 6.60 PRO or if you prefer you can use wololo's guide to install 6.60 PRO.

Not much else to it, since the early days of PSP CFW the process has been very streamlined and user friendly. If you are intimidated, don't hesitate to ask questions, just make sure you've read through the guides. The people here at GAF are very helpful, and have helped me more times than I can recall. Good luck!
Additional Resources:

GBAtemp.net's general modding FAQ

EMULATORS:

Emulation on PSP, WIKI at GBATEMP.net (latest version of the most popular emulators on PSP)
Emulator Favorites on PSP - new backgrounds!, thread at racketboy.com (links to a few emulators with customized backgrounds applicable to that emulator)
ofw HomeBrew list / free psp game, app, emulator, thread at wololo.net (huge list of different software for your PSP)​

CONVERTING PSOne GAMES TO PSP
Guide for Converting PSOne games to PSP Guide by jamstruth (dated Jan 28th, 2010)

You’ll need:
Alcohol 52% (or you can use ImgBurn as Mejilan does)
PSX2PSP 1.4.2

Websites for PSOne game icons for PSP:
http://forums.qj.net/psp-themes-mods-media/85800-ps1-eboot-backgrounds-icons.html

Number45

Don't think we have a standard PSP hardware thread? Quick question: I can't get my PSP connected to the internet (no CFW, not at the moment anyway) for some reason. It connects to my Wifi (same settings as my PC picks up) but it fails with a DNS error - I've tried manually setting DNS (to an external DNS server that I know works) and I've removed and re-added the Wifi profile with the same results.

Anyone got any ideas? Ta. Won't let my daughter play any of the PS+ minis because it needs to connect to PSN and confirm the subscription is still valid. :(

EDIT: Just tried it tethered to my Android phone with the same results, so definitely seems to be related to the PSP itself.

cryptic

How can I get around the block that comes' up when I try to play games downloaded through psn on different accounts of mine? I have the latest cfw on my psp go, is there any plugin or homebrew? Thanks.

Deques

I haven't been around in PSP scene since I updated my PSP to M-33 6.
Is Pro CFW the newest custom firmware available? It can update from an official firmware? It wasn't possible before, so it's possible to update from an official firmware now?

Don't think we have a standard PSP hardware thread? Quick question: I can't get my PSP connected to the internet (no CFW, not at the moment anyway) for some reason. It connects to my Wifi (same settings as my PC picks up) but it fails with a DNS error - I've tried manually setting DNS (to an external DNS server that I know works) and I've removed and re-added the Wifi profile with the same results.

Anyone got any ideas? Ta. Won't let my daughter play any of the PS+ minis because it needs to connect to PSN and confirm the subscription is still valid. :(

EDIT: Just tried it tethered to my Android phone with the same results, so definitely seems to be related to the PSP itself.

That sounds similar to what happened with a friend's PSP. The wifi card was faulty. I can recommend a great repair service though:

http://www.psprepairservice.com

She gives free mail-in quotes and only uses official Sony parts. But before you go that route, possibly wait for a second opinion from someone more knowledgeable.

Number45

That sounds similar to what happened with a friend's PSP. The wifi card was faulty. I can recommend a great repair service though:

http://www.psprepairservice.com

She gives free mail-in quotes and only uses official Sony parts. But before you go that route, possibly wait for a second opinion from someone more knowledgeable.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm in the UK. :(

I'll try hooking it up to the PS3 at some point to see if that refreshes the subscription, if not I'll probably look at getting a cheap new PSP (with current price I doubt it'll be much more expensive). I'll be covered with the Vita next month but as I said my daughter likes playing the minis... and she won't be using my Vita for a while. :p

Massa

Thanks for the tip, but I'm in the UK. :(

I'll try hooking it up to the PS3 at some point to see if that refreshes the subscription, if not I'll probably look at getting a cheap new PSP (with current price I doubt it'll be much more expensive). I'll be covered with the Vita next month but as I said my daughter likes playing the minis... and she won't be using my Vita for a while. :p

Just don't get the PSP E1000, WiFi won't work on that one either. :p

If you just want to download/activate your games you can use either a PS3 or a PC with Windows and Media Go.

Number45

Just don't get the PSP E1000, WiFi won't work on that one either. :p

If you just want to download/activate your games you can use either a PS3 or a PC with Windows and Media Go.

How do I go about it with the PS3? Just connected my PSP to the PS3 but when I try and launch a mini it still says "this content has a time limit". Downloading Media Go now anyway.

EDIT: Downloaded a new game through Media Go, problem solved. I guess the same would have been the case if I'd have done that with the PS3 as well.

I thought you could connect the PSP to the internet using the PS3? Doesn't want to work for me.

iDOLM@STER PSP is the first game I've played that actually detected that I'm not using official firmware and won't let me proceed past the title screen!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

All the 6.xx PRO firmwares after B8 properly detect and bypass THE IDOLM@STER SP's DRM check. You're going to have to leave 5.xx behind at some point, there isn't any need to stay on 5.xx anymore now that 6.xx has been cracked wide open.

I see that you have a hacked version of 5.50-something. What revision of PSP do you have?

Joe

in System Information > System Software it says "6.60 LME-1.6"

did i update correctly? i ran 6.60 lme installer then ran the launcher and i'm not sure if this is the correct way to do this? just want to make sure it's correct and i don't have to run the launcher everytime?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
in System Information > System Software it says "6.60 LME-1.6"

did i update correctly? i ran 6.60 lme installer then ran the launcher and i'm not sure if this is the correct way to do this? just want to make sure it's correct and i don't have to run the launcher everytime?

Er-is it a perma firmware? Did you do the steps to make it perma? Then yes, you don't need to run it every hard boot. Otherwise, no: it isn't perma: You'll need to reboot into it when you shutdown/non-sleep mode/battery dies it.

Joe

sorry, but to be honest im not too sure. i find psp modding to be a bit confusing. i will try turning it off then back on and see what happens.

cryptic

I guess no one can answer my other question but anyway I have a new one. My little brother's psp go battery has died; I know because I opened it up and took it out for a bit then reinserted it. Is there anywhere I can buy a new psp go battery as I don't want to pay seventy dollars to send it to sony. Thanks.

drspeedy

I'm looking into this GAF, but I can't make things work... I think I'm ready to put PS1 games on CFW, but what happens for multi disc games? I want to play MGS, how does one get 2 discs on PSP in a single file? I read a PSX2PSP tutorial, but I've also seen a lot of "corrupted data" responses. Is a single boot possible? Am I behind the times and about to brick a PSP tryng some teenage stunt?

I'm looking into this GAF, but I can't make things work... I think I'm ready to put PS1 games on CFW, but what happens for multi disc games? I want to play MGS, how does one get 2 discs on PSP in a single file? I read a PSX2PSP tutorial, but I've also seen a lot of "corrupted data" responses. Is a single boot possible? Am I behind the times and about to brick a PSP tryng some teenage stunt?

Don't worry about bricking the PSP if all you're doing is trying to make your own PSone eboots. For the corrupted data things, I could imagine some people may have downloaded the game and ended up having a bad ISO or something equally weird. It's best to just rip your own disc using something like ISObuster and convert it with PSX2PSP.

drspeedy

Don't worry about bricking the PSP if all you're doing is trying to make your own PSone eboots. For the corrupted data things, I could imagine some people may have downloaded the game and ended up having a bad ISO or something equally weird. It's best to just rip your own disc using something like ISObuster and convert it with PSX2PSP.

is it pretty straightforward, or is 2 discs in one eboot a trial and error kind of thing, with re-ripping and re-converting for newbs like me? I'm not a patient gamer :D

fatty

is it pretty straightforward, or is 2 discs in one eboot a trial and error kind of thing, with re-ripping and re-converting for newbs like me? I'm not a patient gamer :D

Converting multiple disks is discussed in this tutorial a little under half way through:

If your PS1 game has multiple disks and you wish to make them into a single eboot simply bring down the dropdown menu, click on File 2, and select your next ISO. Repeat this for all disks in the game.

It's pretty straightforward. Basically just rip each ISO as its own file, load the PSX2PSP, choose each file for each disk in the prompts and then convert it. It's only ever really time-consuming if you want to make special pictures and icons and such.

QMontague

Is there any way to rip a UMD on a CFW'd PSP and convert it for play on a OFW PSP Go?

I tried this once, if you Google "[Tutorial] How to sign games for 6.31/6.35/6.37 OFW"
You should find a walkthough on how to do it. The problem is I couldn't get it to work for me so I can't vouch for it.

If that's the case I won't bother. Not worth bricking the thing just to play a handful of games I can just play on my 3000 anyway.

The temporary CFW is just an executable you run off the user-accessible memory. It doesn't affect the system memory where the real OFW is stored at all. There is literally no risk involved and basically no effort.

drspeedy

Firstly, thanks to folks for the help- this is really, really simple. Hot dog!

Having said that, I've had no luck running both as a single eboot. They both work fine separately, I can load disc 1 or disc 2 eboot without any issue, but when I follow the tutorial and use an eboot with both isos I get "This game cannot be started. The data is corrupted.", even though I have the CFW running.

Maybe it's a firmware thing. I'm on a Go running 6.39 and tried both Pro-B8 and TN-Hen with my eboots, same result. Do I need to downgrade? Anyone have a successful MGS multi disc eboot experience? Not a big loss if I have to "switch discs", but it'd be nice to have a single eboot.

[EDIT]. For giggles I loaded the multi disc boot into psx2psp and converted it back to a single iso. Both discs show up in the psx2psp GUI so it seems the combo worked ok, and it loaded fine in ePSXe. What the heck am I doing wrong, game ID maybe? I did set compression to zero and used the non-theme GUI as suggested in the tutorial.

XOMTOR

Firstly, thanks to folks for the help- this is really, really simple. Hot dog!

Having said that, I've had no luck running both as a single eboot. They both work fine separately, I can load disc 1 or disc 2 eboot without any issue, but when I follow the tutorial and use an eboot with both isos I get "This game cannot be started. The data is corrupted.", even though I have the CFW running.

Maybe it's a firmware thing. I'm on a Go running 6.39 and tried both Pro-B8 and TN-Hen with my eboots, same result. Do I need to downgrade? Anyone have a successful MGS multi disc eboot experience? Not a big loss if I have to "switch discs", but it'd be nice to have a single eboot.

[EDIT]. For giggles I loaded the multi disc boot into psx2psp and converted it back to a single iso. Both discs show up in the psx2psp GUI so it seems the combo worked ok, and it loaded fine in ePSXe. What the heck am I doing wrong, game ID maybe? I did set compression to zero and used the non-theme GUI as suggested in the tutorial.

I managed to get my MGS into a single eBoot a few years ago and I do recall that it was very finicky. I just dug out my old notes and the only combination that worked for me was by ripping my original disks using CloneCD followed by using a program called RS-GUI PopstationMD 3.0 by RedSquirrel. I used a compression level of 1 and used the Japanese game ID which is SLPM86114.

I'm on CFW 5.50 Gen-B full and I believe the proper POPS to run the game is 3.72 or 3.80. One of those solves a freeze at the Hind fight. Of course you're on a newer firmware on a Go so these settings may not work.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
But I have absolutely no need for CFW on the Go.

Lol, still at it.
You can't brick the GO when using the temp CFW solution.
It takes less than 5 minutes.
Or one minute if you're already on the latest official firmware.

So you could put the temp FW on your 3000 and GO. Rip and play.
Turn the system off and back on, and you're back on regular firmware.

Would it be possible at all to get Streets of Rage Remake running on 6.60 PRO CFW? It's been years since I bothered with CFW, so please excuse me if I'm a bit ignorant on the topic.

EDIT: Also, Stump mentioned it in the Final Fantasy thread, but apparently you can take screenshots while playing games with it? How do you do that? I haven't installed Pro cfw yet, so I want to make sure I have all the info I need.

Got the temporary CFW on my 3000 thanks to Stump's post in the Gaf Plays Final Fantasy thread. I checked out the FAQs in the first post, but I'm still a bit confused on how to rip my UMD ISOs. >.<

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wow at the loading difference for my two Taiko games!
What used to take ages to load a new song takes less than half a second! Love this Go.

Too bad the newer Taiko game is so expensive still, not a priority to get it though.
Got the temporary CFW on my 3000 thanks to Stump's post in the Gaf Plays Final Fantasy thread. I checked out the FAQs in the first post, but I'm still a bit confused on how to rip my UMD ISOs. >.<

On the XMB, hit select.
Change the USB Device to "UMD Disc"
Now when you connect to your PC with USB, you'll see the UMD instead of the normal MS filesystem.

It's as simple as dragging the UMD iso to a folder on the PC.
Then putting that iso file onto your memory stick in the root directory in a folder called ISO.

You can see here: (not my pic)
wuM42.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
EDIT: Also, Stump mentioned it in the Final Fantasy thread, but apparently you can take screenshots while playing games with it? How do you do that? I haven't installed Pro cfw yet, so I want to make sure I have all the info I need.

There are a bunch of different plugins that can do screenshots. The one I'm using right now is called prxshot.prx

You can download it here:
http://github.com/downloads/codestation/prxshot/prxshot-0.4.0.zip

To install:
1) Unzip, hook up PSP to USB
2) Copy the prxshot folder to Memory Stick:/seplugins/ -- if there is no seplugins folder, create it.
3) Inside seplugins folder, create game.txt, pops.txt, vsh.txt if any of the three don't exist. game.txt tells the PSP which plugins to use inside PSP games. pops.txt tells the PSP which plugins to use inside PS1 games. vsh.txt tells the PSP which plugins to use in the OS.

If you are putting the plugin on the PSP's internal storage (IE with a PSP go), write the following in all three files:
ef0:/seplugins/prxshot/prxshot.prx 1

If you are putting the plugin on the PSP's memory stick, write the following in all three files:
ms0:/seplugins/prxshot/prxshot.prx 1
Just that one line. Nothing before, nothing after.

4) Save the files. Reboot PSP. Remember to use the Pro Restore again.

To take a screenshot:
1) Press the music note button. Screenshots will shot up in PSP photos or in Memory Stick:/PSP/SCREENSHOT

To verify which plugins are running:
1) Make sure you're using CFW
2) Press select in the XMB
3) Select Recovery Menu
4) Select Plugins
5) Select either System Storage if you're using a PSP that has internal storage or Memory Stick if you're using a PSP that doesn't. You'll see the plugins there.

Would it be possible at all to get Streets of Rage Remake running on 6.60 PRO CFW? It's been years since I bothered with CFW, so please excuse me if I'm a bit ignorant on the topic.

I looked into that myself and apparently someone started work on it and either gave up or hit a wall. There is a short clip on youtube of it (barely) running on a PSP. I back traced all the way to a forum where they were talking about working on it, but I haven't heard anything else. It would be perfect if someone got it running!

Thanks a bunch! Will keep all of this in mind once I download it later on tonight/tomorrow.
I looked into that myself and apparently someone started work on it and either gave up or hit a wall. There is a short clip on youtube of it (barely) running on a PSP. I back traced all the way to a forum where they were talking about working on it, but I haven't heard anything else. It would be perfect if someone got it running!

That's a damn shame.

On the XMB, hit select.
Change the USB Device to "UMD Disc"
Now when you connect to your PC with USB, you'll see the UMD instead of the normal MS filesystem.

It's as simple as dragging the UMD iso to a folder on the PC.
Then putting that iso file onto your memory stick in the root directory in a folder called ISO.

You can see here: (not my pic)
wuM42.png

Ah, thanks, I got it! Managed to rip my FF II UMD. Holy shit, the load times are nearly nonexistant! @_@

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ah, thanks, I got it! Managed to rip my FF II UMD. Holy shit, the load times are nearly nonexistant! @_@

It's funny, I bought a PSP-1000 after CFW was possible, so I've only ever played my own UMD rips. I've never experienced bad PSP load times that people talk about. And now that I have a Go, I only can play UMD rips hahaha.

It's funny, I bought a PSP-1000 after CFW was possible, so I've only ever played my own UMD rips. I've never experienced bad PSP load times that people talk about. And now that I have a Go, I only can play UMD rips hahaha.

You've never lived until you've waited 4-7 seconds between encountering a group of enemies and actually starting a battle. For every battle.

Edit: Can these UMD rips can be transferred over to the Vita?

cryptic

I guess no one can answer my other question but anyway I have a new one. My little brother's psp go battery has died; I know because I opened it up and took it out for a bit then reinserted it. Is there anywhere I can buy a new psp go battery as I don't want to pay seventy dollars to send it to sony. Thanks.

Please help.

Top Bottom