• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2012

I just got out of Best Buy, and I tried their Nintendo Zone out. I don't think it has been updated with the Pokemon features yet, so all it really had to offer was Super Mario 3D Land trivia, coupons, and videos of upcoming content. But what did catch my attention was the dirty, scratched up display unit they had on the floor. This thing allowed access to over 15 3DS demos!

So as I'm standing there, hunched over the display stand trying to find a comfortable way to play Ace Combat in 3D, I couldn't help but wonder why in the hell are most of these demos NOT on the 3DS EShop?!?!? Ace Combat went from "no where on my radar" to potential pick-up even after the horrible neck cramps I suffered from battling with that stupid display set-up Best Buy has! Could you imagine having these saved on your 3DS and being able to play them whenever, wherever you want?

Did you try pulling on the system? It's attached by magnets.

I'm kinda... Disappointed in this week's Nintendo Video. Although it is a special one I
was waiting for some exclusive footage like when they did MK and 3Dland but it never
really delivered.
Wow at that tv moment though.
Also for as long as RE4's been out... why was it there?

I could not find a legitimate way to dodge one of the first boss's attacks in Sakura Samurai. I ended up beating him by throwing a frog at him. Kind of a bummer. It seems like a neat game otherwise. When enemies rush at you one after another, it really captures the feeling of classic samurai movies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Sakura Samurai's great. Just got to the 1st boss, died a bunch of times already lol.

GeekyDad

Pretty sure I'm not imagining a slight homage to Zelda's Lullaby in the opening scene with the kappa and the Sakura Samurai. They even highlight the phrase with an ocarina sound.

18-Volt

Times and times I deleted and re-downloaded Sakura Samurai, but it still freezes at the initial loading screen. Is this happening just to me? What do you think I should do?

GeekyDad

Times and times I deleted and re-downloaded Sakura Samurai, but it still freezes at the initial loading screen. Is this happening just to me? What do you think I should do?

Damn, that sucks. Wonder if perhaps it has something to do with your SD card. Are you using the stock card that came with your system?

18-Volt

Damn, that sucks. Wonder if perhaps it has something to do with your SD card. Are you using the stock card that came with your system?

I thought the same thing. I have tried both with the SD that came with the system and another one. Same problem, it says "loading" and stays same. Even the home button isn't working.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I thought the same thing. I have tried both with the SD that came with the system and another one. Same problem, it says "loading" and stays same. Even the home button isn't working.
What's the fw version you are at?

Got it to work!

Just keep redownloading, and use the "Download Later" option. I think this problem might be related to internet connection issues (it's raining here).

18-Volt

What's the fw version you are at?

3.0.0-6U

Sammy Samusu said:
Got it to work!

Just keep redownloading, and use the "Download Later" option. I think this problem might be related to internet connection issues (it's raining here).

That might be true, there was a blizzard going on here for all day.

I got Sakura Samurai and I think it's pretty cool so far. I guess it is kind of like Punch-Out!! in a way, but it really doesn't play like Punch-Out!!. You evade and attack based on the little tells the enemies give you like in Punch-Out!!, but you have multiple enemies around you and you can run around. I'd say the gameplay feels a little more like Monster Hunter than Punch-Out!!. You attack and evade going by the monster's tells, get items to use, and have to keep your weapon sharp with whetstones in MH too.

They're obviously too busy trying to come up with an alternate title for PAL regions to actually release Sakura Samurai here. Guess they'd feel silly just using the same name as everywhere else after Pullblox and Nintendo Letter Box

CrisKre

Wow, Sakura Samurai is really really amazing. Fun simple concept really well executed and presented, works brilliantly as a handheld title for fast play sessions IMO. Eshop is pretty fantastic as of late. I like the variety of the games we are getting.

I´d put sakura samurai in the same category as Pushmo and mighty switch force as far as must have DD games for the system right now.

Shiggy

They're obviously too busy trying to come up with an alternate title for PAL regions to actually release Sakura Samurai here. Guess they'd feel silly just using the same name as everywhere else after Pullblox and Nintendo Letter Box

Samurai: Slash that Flash
image.php

beje

Banned
So, after a great start they're already abandoning the Euro eShop? No new demos? VVVVVV? Mutant Mudds? Hello?

Since those previous two name changes sound inspired very much by the actions of the game/application themselves i'm expecting something uninspired like "Sword Slicer" at this point because it's a game which involves slicing things...with a sword!

Ridley327

I really feel like I've wasted my money with Sakura Samurai. It relies way too much on bullshit trial-and-error tactics in later stages.

I bought Go Series: Undead Storm as well.

It's pretty fun. I wish they would have made it play more like Zombies Ate my Neighbors than a twin stick shooter. Fun little game worth $2 otherwise.

I'm gonna have my buddy download it as well for some multiplayer.

Boney

Banned
Ok just finished the first boss of SS and I gotta say I love it. It definately is what it pretends to be, a samurai combat game. Combat system is simple yet pretty elegant, dodge incoming attacks and attack when there's openings. Game doesn't rewarding for taking the initiative and attacking before they drop their swords on you, but rather for dodging in the last second.

Game is relatively tough if you're not careful and not know what you're doing. By experimenting in the second stage, my blade got dull and was pretty hard to kill enemies and I didn't have the dodge mechanic quite down, but started again and tried to be a lot less reckless and had great results. The precision point mechanic is great, as it involves risk/reward, while several enemies involve different patterns. Blocking can help you protect from enemies that you're not sure what they're capable off (saved me from the first boss for example) at the expense of dulling your sword.

Storming the castle courtyard and fighting tons of enemies felt really satyisfying. The game is very pretty to look at and to listen too. Towns and NPC's add a lot to the charm.

Really enjoying my time with it, and if you're looking for something like this I won't hesitate to recommend it.

Bullza2o

So Sakura Samurai only has one save file? That's unfortunate. My sister usually play my games too, and I kinda lose the fun when she finished 20 puzzles that I haven't done yet (in Pushmo).

mclem

So, after a great start they're already abandoning the Euro eShop? No new demos? VVVVVV? Mutant Mudds? Hello?

I think there's a problem here in that the companies eShop appeals to as a development prospect are ones who are small and have to be cautious enough that they'll only push for a single region at a time.

GWX

Hey GAF, could you help me with one thing? I have $2 left in my eShop's balance and I was wondering if I could grab a cool DSiWare by that price. Any suggestions?

Hey GAF, could you help me with one thing? I have $2 left in my eShop's balance and I was wondering if I could grab a cool DSiWare by that price. Any suggestions?

You could just put that money towards a VC or 3D game, but if you must spend $1.99, you might find something cool in the GO Series or GG Series.

GWX

You could just put that money towards a VC or 3D game, but if you must spend $1.99, you might find something cool in the GO Series or GG Series.

Yeah, I was thinking about adding more money to my balance, but I don't know how long it will take until I'm allowed to do it (I depend of other people's credit cards, it sucks). I'll take a deeper look at those series you mentioned - the only game I know of these is 10 Second Run (which looks pretty cool, I guess). Thank you =)

Portable Shrine Wars
Arua Arua Climber
Undead Storm (like I posted above)

All fun and worth $2.00.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Almost got one tree in the Rock Garden in SS to blossom. Evidently takes 10,000 steps per tree.

Getting the level 2 sword (50g's) helps a lot for the first boss. You take a bigger chunk out of the enemies (1hit kills) and the boss.

I bought Rabi Laby recently, and it's a pretty brilliant game. It's about on par with Braid and Limbo in terms of presenting fiendishly brilliant puzzles despite featuring extremely simple mechanics. Don't overlook it!

I watched the Heroes of Ruin video. Made me very excited to play the game. I wish the video was better quality and showed off the 3D though.

Almost got one tree in the Rock Garden in SS to blossom. Evidently takes 10,000 steps per tree.

Getting the level 2 sword (50g's) helps a lot for the first boss. You take a bigger chunk out of the enemies (1hit kills) and the boss.

I wish I upgraded before getting to it. Was down to the wire. Thank you, frog!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Sakura Samurai is dodging and slicing Pushmo into a corner for best eShop 3DS title. I think it might just pull it out.

It's that good.

I bought Rabi Laby recently, and it's a pretty brilliant game. It's about on par with Braid and Limbo in terms of presenting fiendishly brilliant puzzles despite featuring extremely simple mechanics. Don't overlook it!

If only we could get the second and third game in the series too...

Top Bottom