• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

CTE

Reporting a quest-killing bug for "The Widow's Wrath" that renders it uncompletable.

Once you enter the dungeon, you're confronted by the widow who asks you to kill the townsfolk. If you refuse her, she should disappear to her boss chamber where you'll fight her later. However, in my case, she remains standing at the entrance, and cannot be interacted with.

I figured I'd fight through the dungeon in hopes that things would sort themselves out when I got to the end. When I entered her boss chamber, her final dialogue is initiated, and a fight begins. However, instead of taking place in the boss chamber, the game teleports you back to the entrance where she was waiting. You can continue to fight her there for a moment, but after a bit she'll randomly disappear and respawn inside her rightful place in her boss chamber. The catch? The "arena fields" are up in the room - the ones that normally prevent you from leaving the arena now prevent you from entering, and finishing the fight. All entrances inside are blocked, and you'll never be able to reach the widow. End of quest.

In my attempt to debug the quest, I rendered my last autosave useless after it was tainted with this bug, too, so this is a quest I won't be completing until my next playthrough. I suggest everyone create a second save before attempting this quest, as I'm not sure what triggers the bug. Can anyone tell me what reward there is for finishing this quest, so I know what I'm missing? Thanks.

I've already did that quest. I wonder what triggered that bug? Mine went fine and I had no issues like you described.

All you get for beating her is
some Cannaroc Gossmar and some gold

Here is a link to a fix on the bug. Might be too late for you, though? IDK.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning/The_Widow's_Wrath

Caution: Quest may be glitched, where the widow will not appear at the beginning of cathura, she is infact still back at castle yolvan you can talk to her there, Where she will teleport to the front of the Cathura Caves, as opposed to the very end of the Cathura caves. To get around this go through the caves and clear out the spiders, BUT do not enter the final chamber or it will send u back to the beginning of the cave where the widow is standing. Instead, after clearing out the spiders go back to the beginning of the area where the widow is standing, and attack her like a civilian, go into aggressive mode and attack her again, train her all the way to final chamber where you can take her on properly without the boss battle glitching.

I've already did that quest. I wonder what triggered that bug? Mine went fine and I had no issues like you described.

Caution: Quest may be glitched, where the widow will not appear at the beginning of cathura, she is infact still back at castle yolvan you can talk to her there, Where she will teleport to the front of the Cathura Caves, as opposed to the very end of the Cathura caves. To get around this go through the caves and clear out the spiders, BUT do not enter the final chamber or it will send u back to the beginning of the cave where the widow is standing. Instead, after clearing out the spiders go back to the beginning of the area where the widow is standing, and attack her like a civilian, go into aggressive mode and attack her again, train her all the way to final chamber where you can take her on properly without the boss battle glitching.
Interesting, this may very well work. Off to try, will report my findings. Many thanks.

I am pretty sure that I ran into a game breaking bug.
In Klurikon, I have a quest to destroy 3 chantries. I killed the enemies at two of the chantries and destroyed them, but the enemies do not spawn at the third chantry and I cannot destroy it.

Any idea how much the DLC will end up running? I want to get the new epic quest pinball table but that will drop me under 1200 points then.

Who am I kidding? I'll probably just end up grabbing another point card.

Torraz

I again respecced, after having been finesse and switching to might, now I am a fulltime sorcerer.

My bigget problem is a lack of mana (for spamming meteor/tempest...). What would be the best gems / blacksmith recipes to solve this shortage with? Should I go for +[specific value of mana reg], +% mana reg or somoething else?

edgefusion

I'm loving playing as a Rogue, but I'm wondering if I should trade out my bow for chakram's. What are the benefits?

A fully upgraded bow is pretty damn devastating. I'll sometimes go whole dungeons using it instead of my Faeblades. It's super easy to change up your skills though so I'd suggest just making the change and seeing how it fits you and going back if you don't like it.

I remember someone answered me earlier in this thread, so sorry for repeating, but there's only one external storage for items right? And there's no way to increase that 155 size?

I'm loving playing as a Rogue, but I'm wondering if I should trade out my bow for chakram's. What are the benefits?
Dunno about bows, but I think chakrams are pretty solid. I basically use it as a 1-2 combo with my staff.

Pros: Good speed, mid-ranged, and can attack multiple enemies. Don't know if you plan on investing points into the special attacks, but the dodge juggle is pretty effective and safe.

Cons: The 3rd and 4th part of the melee chain can leave you vulnerable if you're surrounded by enemies. Some enemies can start up an attack and peg you before your animation stops. Doesn't deal crazy damage either, but I haven't really been blacksmithing/loot-hunting that intently.

GeoramA

Finished up the House of Ballads storyline. Playing on hard, so that last fight against the queen was pretty fucking tough, even with my reckoning meter full.

Time to move on. 40 hours in and I still haven't left Dalentarth.

There's an arena?!
Yeah and I thought it was the best questline in the game, it's out in the desert area. Look for the words House of Valor on the map. (Need an online pass to access it on the console, I'm not sure how the PC version works.)

I always just picked the drunk mage girl. Wish you could have companions in this game.
I didn't like her attitude, I mostly went with the young rougueish fellow.

Success! I found a workaround.

Despite what the tip said, I wasn't able to go into aggressive mode before the start of the boss fight. In fact, it should be impossible to go into aggressive mode inside dungeons, right? Before the statr of the fight, the Widow cannot be interacted with.

This time, I continued on to the boss chamber, started the fight, got teleported back to the entrance, and led the widow all the way back to the chamber again. The chamber was still sealed, but I was able to kill the widow outside of her chamber without her teleporting. Perhaps the close proximity helped? Regardless, she's dead now and the quest is marked complete, even if it's not as I wanted it.

Yeah and it's the best questline in the game, it's out in the desert area. Look for the words House of Valor on the map. (Need an online pass to access it on the console, I'm not sure how the PC version works.)
Indeed, I really got into this quest-line and ran through the entire thing without leaving the area. It was so satisfying in its conclusion as well, even if it was predictable.

I didn't like her attitude, I mostly went with the young rougueish fellow.
Same here, I fought with him in every battle.

I've heard enough good stuff about this I think I may just go pick it up. I usually don't pay full price for games, but this may be the exception.

Vamphuntr

I did the House of Valor faction quest line and I guess it's the shortest of the whole bunch? You're not missing much if you buy the game used. I'm playing on Hard and all the story fights were over quickly. 1 Meteor was enough to clear 3/4 of the fights with my 100% Sorcerer build. The only fight that took more to defeat was the trolls battle which are "resistant" to magic.

The best faction quests so far for me are the House of Ballads for the plot and the Travelers for the content (it's probalby the longest one). I'm only missing the House of Sorrows now because I haven't comme across their HQ yet.

CTE

Success! I found a workaround.

Despite what the tip said, I wasn't able to go into aggressive mode before the start of the boss fight. In fact, it should be impossible to go into aggressive mode inside dungeons, right? Before the statr of the fight, the Widow cannot be interacted with.

This time, I continued on to the boss chamber, started the fight, got teleported back to the entrance, and led the widow all the way back to the chamber again. The chamber was still sealed, but I was able to kill the widow outside of her chamber without her teleporting. Perhaps the close proximity helped? Regardless, she's dead now and the quest is marked complete, even if it's not as I wanted it.

Well, that's good to know. Happy you found a way to complete the quest. Better done in a way not preferred than not done at all, especially if you want to 100% the game at some point.

koji

screenshots please :3

Default FOV no fix;

default.jpg

Fix enabled;

widescreenfix_ingame.jpg

Menu (menu and questlog tend to bug out)

menu_fixon.jpg

Questlog

questlog_fixon.jpg

Settings in THIS post.

Sorry for those huge ass screenshots...

Alucrid

Banned
What about it? I liked it. Not very hard, which is a trait I admire in final bosses. Pretty cool looking too.
I didnt really feel that it tested your combat abilities all the much. Even if the game, as a whole, was more difficult the fight itself wouldn't allow for it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm 35+ hours in & not getting tired of it a bit. This is a first.

I'm not tired of it, but I made the mistake of starting a game of Ys Origin, and the ME3 multiplayer beta. Now I'm playing three games, and I'm not putting enough time into Amalur. Dammit.

Rokam

It's incredibly easy to cheese the last boss.
Fate potions make it so you can just skip the entire fight, probably something they should've not allowed. Did it once and was like oh it works. My bad. But I loved the art design of Tironoch.

Two questions,

1. What is the highest level you can reach in this game?

2. Anyone else had a glitch where you get stuck in the ground and the only way you can get is fast travel somewhere? It's happened to me two or three times now.

Two questions,

2. Anyone else had a glitch where you get stuck in the ground and the only way you can get is fast travel somewhere? It's happened to me two or three times now.
2. Yes that's happened to me once or twice. I think after using the reckoning power.

I didnt really feel that it tested your combat abilities all the much. Even if the game, as a whole, was more difficult the fight itself wouldn't allow for it.
Fair enough. I don't like my games to be too hard though so I can't complain.

Fate potions make it so you can just skip the entire fight, probably something they should've not allowed. Did it once and was like oh it works. My bad. But I loved the art design of Tironoch.
Agree with you on the design. Haha never thought about using those potions but yeah I could see how they could break it.

Two questions,

1. 40

2. Once or twice, usually it fixes itself before I have to do anything about it.

1stStrike

Banned
I did the arena quest line last night. Found it to be really fun, and I enjoyed it all around. The fights where they forbid magic were really fun, because I had to pretty much just rely on my chakrams and timing. I was warp dodging all over the place, pelting a few of the enemies with my chakrams, and then dodging as a club came smashing to the ground.

A few of the fights were actually pretty challenging, and I died a few times, so that was overall a pleasant surprise.

Still tons more content left to complete, though.

ced

Well at least you didn't spend like 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do like my retarded self.

I like to write little bios for my RP characters. Did it in Skyrim, so Recknoning will be no exception. Allow me to introduce my Dokkalfar maiden, Ci'eyh (See-Eh)

Level 11
Destiny: Arcanist
Primary: Faeblades
Secondary: Chakrams

Skin: Golden
Hair: Burgundy
Eyes: Yellow
Tactics: Clean stealth kills where possible, vicious faeblade strikes and elemental magic when cornered, chakrams finish off distant, injured foes

Life, pre-death: Born under Belen's baleful star to a fanatical coven of death-worshipping assassins, Ci'eyh (surely she was known by a different name then) was born to kill. Her unmatched charisma, deftness of skill, and singular ruthlessness saw her rise through the ranks of her sect with unprecedented speed. She stalked her contracts in Belen's protective shadow, striking with silent blade or disintegrating spell. The coven's elders, disquieted by Ci'eyh's prowess, sought to end her life through poison lest she grow to challenge their authority. They succeeded. The Dokkalfar maiden was struck down painlessly at mealtime by means of poison-laced wine. "We who are born under Belen's star, those of us blessed by his countenance, will invariably return to him in death. His immortal servants."

Life, post-death: ...but that ominous prophecy would not come to pass. An anomoly in the threads of Fate would find Ci'eyh pulled ruthlessly from her eternal slumber, courtesy of the mad gnome Fomorous Hugues. Her connection to her former life, and by proxy her connection to dread-god Belen, was severed forever. Awakened atop a mound of festering putrescence, she found herself in posession of the skills and body of a master assassin, but with none of the memories, none of the context. She adopted the alias Ci'eyh, lacking any knowledge of her original name, and now wanders the Faelands as an adventurer and creature of the Dalentarth. Her servitude to Belen and his coven ended, she now uses her skills to serve her own will and interests. Her death, far from her end, has become a beginning.

1stStrike

Banned
One detail that I like about this game is that if you go and clear out an area/dungeon and come back later, they'll have scavengers like rats or wolves prowling through the area instead of just respawning the same NPC's. Nice touch.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
How long do dead enemies stick around the map? Because I feel like I've passed by the same dead troll that I killed hours ago many times now. :lol

Grinchy

Banned
Any other blacksmiths out there had the problem where they try to name a new item with 2 words but hitting the space bar while typing the name enters the information and you're stuck with an abruptly named weapon or armor piece? I'm at like 4 pieces now where this has happened.

BrettWeir

Any other blacksmiths out there had the problem where they try to name a new item with 2 words but hitting the space bar while typing the name enters the information and you're stuck with an abruptly named weapon or armor piece? I'm at like 4 pieces now where this has happened.

This also happens to me on all crafted items.

Eteric Rice

Okay, so I'm probably missing something. I keep getting fucked up by boss mobs. I'm a caster class.

I'm guessing my gear isn't up to snuff. I'm level 13 and most of my gear is like, level 3.

What should I be doing to not get completely fucked up every time?

I'm guessing I should look into crafting shit. lol.

Posted this on another forum as well. Hey FoH!

sneaky77

I am trying to do the first travelers faction quest, and one of the items is on a guy in an inn and he doesn't seem to go anywhere or I have any way to approach him?

Rad Agast

Okay, so I'm probably missing something. I keep getting fucked up by boss mobs. I'm a caster class.

I'm guessing my gear isn't up to snuff. I'm level 13 and most of my gear is like, level 3.

What does your abilities tree look like? and are you doing side quests at all? a bit of exploring and side quests would get you better gear relatively quickly.

1stStrike

Banned

You should learn how to dodge. :p

Equipment helps, but it's not everything. Just don't get hit and try and stay behind the larger enemies. Their attacks can all be timed, so you can get a good feel for when you need to roll out of the way. As a caster, you'll eventually get the ability to replace the roll with a short range teleport, which is amazingly helpful.

Alrus

I am trying to do the first travelers faction quest, and one of the items is on a guy in an inn and he doesn't seem to go anywhere or I have any way to approach him?

I hid behind some shelves or a box (or the bed I don't remember) and waited till he (and the stupid peasant that won't move and notices you if you're not at the perfect angle) stopped noticing me and stole the thing I needed from him... I don't know if there was another way but it felt kind of stupid :/

Eteric Rice

What does your abilities tree look like? and are you doing side quests at all? a bit of exploring and side quests would get you better gear relatively quickly.

The one I got stomped on is a faction quest, "The Heart of Sibun." The last guy stomped my shit, to put it mildly.

I'm a chakrams user.

sneaky77

I seen a lot of comments about the camera, I havent had that many issues with it, my main problem or issue is that it seems too close and I don't get to see enough of the world, and some of these areas I am encountering are very cool.. I am still in Dalendarth or however is spelled lol

Walk up behind him and talk to him, when you are done with your conversation he should be facing the wall, was easy to pickpocket after that.

Top Bottom