• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It may not appeal to a vast majority of Westerns, but that doesn't mean they suck. And I can think of quite a few Japanese games that were awesome this gen such as Trails in the Sky, Tales of Vesperia, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry 4 (yeah, a lot of gaf didn't like it but other than it was very well received), Demon's Souls, Dark Souls....

It's just that there are less coming in and the industry is dominated by Western games. Personally, I have a great deal of love for both.

Don't even bother discussing this with people of low intelligence. It's not worth your time. I don't like most games you have mentioned but there are some japanese games that I liked (mgs4, demons souls, binary domain, resi 5, dmc4 and so on). Some games are objectively very good like Street Fighter 4 and Ninetendo stuff, I just don't like it.

LOL @ all the White Knights, must....defend...Japanese...games.

The fact is, sadly, that most modern Japanese games are absolutely garbage. The ones that are good, often do not appeal to European and NA gamers.

I did my own research and it happens to be true that you are wrong.

I'm surprised this is a controversial statement.
It surprises you that on Neogaf, a hardcore gamer forum featuring a good amount of members who are aware and like games such as Demon Souls, Valkryia Chronicles, and Yakuza take issue with his comments?

Neogaf.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like how you say he's correct without even citing one specific example to support your nonsense.

I guess the term "white knights" is as abused as "trolling" these days. Well calling someone an asshole because they have no tact and ability to filter their bullshit is certainly not a personal attack. It's stating the obvious.

seriously. or am I waiting in line at gamestop?

It really is ridiculous. People are fucking retarded these days.

Come out in defense of something and you are a white knight or a defense force. Attack something and be praised for being an epic troll.

Some really stupid people out there, really. Thankfully, they aren't in the majority here on NeoGAF.

He should had said it in a more polite manner.

But sometimes the truth hurts, no matter how it's said.

Except when it's not true at all and is just insulting?

Come on man, you've got a fucking Homefront avatar. How can you slag anyone about bad games?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ah, so racism is ok then?

Seriously though, people are entitled to boycott something if something offends them enough. In this case, I'm boycotting him for being a douche.

No racism here, just a man and his observations.

In his defense quality levels, Western appeal, of Eastern titles have plummeted over the years. There are exceptions of course, because nobody likes a blanket statement, there are still premium game-stuffs coming from our Eastern developers. Too many Eastern developers are trying to grasp for the Western audience, but seem to be misinformed about what grabs "Joe-schmoe America". Fuck you quick time events!

I'm not one to join squabbles over personal preference (As seen by the brevity of this post), but people are getting out of hand with his answer to a question. Boycott if you guys want, but I've followed Fez development longer than I'd like to admit, the game looks fantastic.

ThisisNeoGaf.gif and all that jazz...

It's not like "western games look boring" isn't controversial.

Gaf would be the most racist forum on the planet.

I guess the term "white knights" is as abused as "trolling" these days.

i would probably like the site more if "trolling," "white knight," and "defense force" were all banned, considering all 3 generally just serve to create more off-the-rails drama and arguments to the point where the original topic is buried under 15 feet of rubble. Then again, maybe that's supposed to be for our entertainment...

onilink88

The fact is, sadly, that most modern Japanese games are absolutely garbage. The ones that are good, often do not appeal to European and NA gamers.

What he said was correct. However people will continue to try and refute his opinion by personally attacking him or his game. Funny.

wNFmx.gif

Aaaaaaand I'm done.

Cipherr

What he said was correct. However people will continue to try and refute his opinion by personally attacking him or his game. Funny.

Realllllllllly sucks seeing some regular posters I see around alot, agree with such an ignorant blanket statement, and the equally ignorant and inconsiderate manner that it was issued under.

No racism here, just a man and his observations.

In his defense quality levels, Western appeal, of Eastern titles have plummeted over the years. There are exceptions, because nobody likes a blanket statement. Too many Eastern developers are trying to grasp for the Western audience, but seem to be misinformed about what grabs "Joe-schmoe America". Fuck you quick time events!

I'm not one to join squabbles over personal preference, but people are getting out of hand with his answer to a question. Boycott if you guys want, but I've followed Fez development longer than I'd like to admit, the game looks fantastic.

ThisisNeoGaf.gif

Gaf would be the most racist forum on the planet.

If someone simply said "Modern Japanese games? Your games suck!" on here, someone in the midst of "Agreed!" or "Wrong!" answers would call the person out to explain their stance on the matter, because it at least provides discussion over what is otherwise an ignorant and generalizing statement (much like "ThisisNeoGaf.gif"). The guy made an ignorant and generalizing statement at a venue like the GDC to a Japanese developer in person without providing any discussion on it. Then when people start calling him out on it on Twitter he just shows himself to be a jackass, anyway.

I can't even tell if people here saying "Well they DO suck!" are purposely missing the point or what.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole

I like 3 relatively current Japanese games. That would be Ghost Trick, Lost Odyssey and Tekken 6.

From where I stand, this is not about defending Japanese games. Either they defend themselves by putting out quality product, or they go under, and that's just the way it goes.

However, it's not right to tell a guy from Japan that all Japanese games suck for a myriad of reasons. One being that obviously, Fish hasn't played them all. It's just not even remotely possible. He really doesn't actually know. Just as you don't know, or anyone does. I suppose that's why MetaCritic exists.
So shitting on ALL games from Japan, which means shitting on ALL people making games in Japan right now, without any kind of substancial evidence or at least a minimum of tact, just shows that he digs being the asshole in the room and doesn't really care about being ignorant as long as he's getting a blurb out.

And that's completely indefensible.

He could've made a point that would've been worth making. Like, "AAA games from Japan I've looked at had this-and-that flawed approach over the last 5 years, and here's the way in which AAA Western games in the same time period managed not being awful". You know, compare apples with apples, don't generalize, don't be rude, take the professional route, lay out your thought process BEFORE coming to a conclusion instead of farting out some statement to then improvise until it sounds like you sorta backed your shit up.

"YO BUT I LIKED ZELDA Y'KNOW" — sweet dude

wsippel

Banned
From the Indie Soapbox session at GDC this year:

Although he admits he might be liked less for speaking up, Time Donkey and Blurst developer Ben Ruiz says evolution in the indie community may need to come from honest self-evaluations of some of its personalities. Stressing that he doesn't intend to identify particular individuals — rather "the independent games community as a whole" — he urged everyone to "quit being so fucking egocentric. It's completely out of control," says Ben Ruiz.

"We end up not being able to metabolize the essence of others that contrast with us… how fast can we grow when we behave like this?" He pointed out the tendency to speak in absolutes, as well as the virulent distaste for the mainstream game industry.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/164701/GDC_2012_10_indies_10_ways_to_think_outside_the_box.php

Hit the nail on the head, and it wasn't even related to Fish's comments I believe.

ZZMitch

Would have been a little less blunt but...
3QN

You're ok with crap?

Yeah I'm ok with a poster who just attempted to discredit anyone who is "defending" their tastes. yeah those posters are just doing it out of pre-conditioned programming. Yep I agree they just feel the need to defend, like lams to the slaughter. Oh no, not like me.

I also agree in an idiotic statement like "most things are garbage". I mean I probably ccan't even attempt to articulate why I feel like this, so it's all garbage. I also make up random statements that don't have any merit and are pretty un-measurable. Most people don't like the good Japanese games? Who desicdes whats the good ones are, huh? And who are you to say? Fuck it! It's all garbage and people don't like it.

But yeah I agree this person is factually correct and everyone else is wrong. They just don't want to give in.

The last part almost sounds like the DMC guy.

"The posters here want love Phil's point, but they won't admit it".

Did the fact that he was completely rude and inconsiderate despite his personal opinion come to mind? If he wrote this in a blog, there wouldn't really be this many pages in this thread would there? Jeez man, you see that? That thing? Flying way over your head? It's the fucking point.

Gravijah

disliking something does not make it garbage

Pyccko

I find this dude pretty reprehensible, but at the same time wasn't "western games = shit games" a fairly accepted mantra in Japan for a long time? Both sides like to make big blanket statements that anyone with a brain should be able to pick apart.

Stylo

You're ok with crap?

Yeah I'm ok with a poster who just attempted to discredit anyone who is "defending" their tastes. yeah those posters are just doing it out of pre-conditioned programming. Yep I agree they just feel the need to defend, like lams to the slaughter. Oh no, not like me.

I also agree in an idiotic statement like "most things are garbage". I mean I probably ccan't even attempt to articulate why I feel like this, so it's all garbage.

But yeah I agree this person is factually correct and everyone else is wrong. They just don't want to give in.

They both have sports avatars, so that means they must agree on blanket statements!

Coxy

I find this dude pretty reprehensible, but at the same time wasn't "western games = shit games" a fairly accepted mantra in Japan for a long time? Both sides like to make big blanket statements that anyone with a brain should be able to pick apart.

why yes, I just came back from the meeting where they decided every person in japan agreed on what they thought about everything and that was one of the topics

They both have sports avatars, so that means they agree on blanket statements!

I have an anime avatar. So I'm also a weaboo.

Edit-I'm not sure if I read that correctly. Do you think I'm making my own assumptions about the two posters based on the avatars? I didn't even notice the avatars, so it never crossed my mine. And it was really just a jumping off point to go against the 1st post. Still, there is some assumption that the 2nd poster agrees with the 1st, then again he did say he did.

Terrell

By gamers in Japan, yes. By the INDUSTRY? No. And that's the distinction here. If a Japanese developer came out and said this in an equally crass manner, I would take equal objection to it.

Wow, what an idiot. Massive loss of respect there for the douchebag now.

If you think Japanese game are garbage it means you haven't been paying attention, and you're probably too arrogant to make anything worthwhile anyway. Because of this, expectations for Fez have now been shot up x100000000000. It needs to be better than Mario, Zelda and Metroid combined for me to accept his shitty attitude, and there's no chance in hell that's ever going to happen.

simtmb

If it turns out to be an excellent game, would such a comment really put people off buying Fez?

I can understand not wanting to support the dude, but hey, he just stated his opinion and that's it.

Pyccko

By gamers in Japan, yes. By the INDUSTRY? No. And that's the distinction here. If a Japanese developer came out and said this in an equally crass manner, I would take equal objection to it.

I seem to remember hearing someone talk about how that was basically the position taken by the developers as well as the public, but it was mainly during the 80s to early 90s, when the most innovation in the western development scene was based primarily around the PC and most of their console efforts were lackluster. But as western development grew on consoles that ideology became one of the reasons Japanese game design has been seen to stagnate by some, and now Japan is in an integrate-or-die position.

BUT I COULD BE TALKING OUT MY ASS, I DUNNO I still like a lot of Japanese games so whatev :D

Stylo

I have an anime avatar. So I'm also a weaboo.

Edit-I'm not sure if I read that correctly. Do you think I'm making my own assumptions about the two posters based on the avatars? I didn't even notice the avatars, so it never crossed my mine. And it was really just a jumping off point to go against the 1st post. Still, there is some assumption that the 2nd poster agrees with the 1st, then again he did say he did.

It's a tongue-in-cheek comment about blanket statements. They wrote generalities about Japanese games with about as much depth as my comment.

If it turns out to be an excellent game, would such a comment really put people off buying Fez?

I can understand not wanting to support the dude, but hey, he just stated his opinion and that's it.

It's the lack of professionalism and respect to fellow developers that puts people off. Apparently he followed up his comment at the panel after saying it so I don't think it's as bad as I first thought, personally.

It's obvious he needs better people skills and hopefully the success of Fez helps him grow as a person, as well as a developer.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Pretty much.

Tbh i don't see what all the fuss is about, Fish was obviously rude and his statement was indeed ignorant however why are people getting so riled up about it :S (the gamers themselves)
I suppose everyone has his own reasons.

For me, it's about these indefensible attitudes popping up left and right in the last weeks, and the overall juvenile atmosphere in general. You have the SFxT debacle with gamers effectively enabling and backing sexism in a professional context, you have the Fish debacle with a developer being extremely rude and unfair to a whole nation, and multiple people saying "I'm okay with this", you have racist and homophobic talk on XBL and Microsoft not being able to weed that out. It would be great if we could figure out how to get a constructive approach going that deals with this generally inexcusable behavior. Until that happens, I think it's important to point it out, to discuss it and to reflect on it.

Don't know if it'll achieve anything, but at the very least, it makes a difference in terms of sales on my part (no point in XBL Gold, no point in playing new fighting games outside of friendly settings, definitely no buy regarding Fez).

Stylo

His opinion isn't what people are getting steamed over. It's that he insulted an entire nation of talented developers in a professional environment. People don't want to support his games because we don't need people like him in the industry.

But a lot of posters saw all these reactions as an opportunity to throw blatantly ignorant statements.

loosus

Banned
Wow, what an idiot. Massive loss of respect there for the douchebag now.

If you think Japanese game are garbage it means you haven't been paying attention, and you're probably too arrogant to make anything worthwhile anyway. Because of this, expectations for Fez have now been shot up x100000000000. It needs to be better than Mario, Zelda and Metroid combined for me to accept his shitty attitude, and there's no chance in hell that's ever going to happen.

My only problems with his statement are how he said it and the venue. He shouldn't have been so raw, and he certainly shouldn't have said it that way in front of others, who were obviously going to pile on like idiots.

His actual message, though, is spot-on: Japanese games largely do suck. Is that a generality? Sure, but other than the occasional Nintendo game or Sony game, the generality pretty much sticks.

Terrell

I seem to remember hearing someone talk about how that was basically the position taken by the developers as well as the public, but it was mainly during the 80s to early 90s, when the most innovation in the western development scene was based primarily around the PC and most of their console efforts were lackluster. But as western development grew on consoles that ideology became one of the reasons Japanese game design has been seen to stagnate by some, and now Japan is in an integrate-or-die position.

BUT I COULD BE TALKING OUT MY ASS, I DUNNO I still like a lot of Japanese games so whatev :D

The most I ever recall about Japanese developers talking about Western game design is that it was flawed in some respects. Not awful or "crap", not unplayable, but that the industry in the West had design issues and philosophies that made Western games less palatable to a worldwide audience, which the Japanese were able to capitalize on. And in the 80s or 90s, this wasn't exactly a false statement. Debatable, for sure, but they didn't speak in absolutes, either.

His actual message, though, is spot-on: Japanese games largely do suck. Is that a generality? Sure, but other than the occasional Nintendo game or Sony game, the generality pretty much sticks.
By that same token, most games all around the world suck. There is enough shovelware in every territory to lower the average of quality to horrible everywhere. The fact that he singled out Japan is just a little odd.

Though reading up on his comments, he seems dissapointed because Japanese games aren't like Nintendo in the 80's. I am not sure if any video games anywhere can hold up to that standard.

Anteater

Well since some people are ok with this, I personally can't wait to see it becomes the norm to make statements like that in public so we could turn real life into youtube comments

"Naughtydog sucks! Guess what I've played all the uncharted games and THEY SUCK"
"No YOUR game sucks! That's right! Because it's like, my opinion man"
"u mad bro?"

*crowd cheers*

Pyccko

The most I ever recall about Japanese developers talking about Western game design is that it was flawed in some respects. Not awful or "crap", not unplayable, but that the industry in the West had design issues and philosophies that made Western games less palatable to a worldwide audience. And in the 80s or 90s, this wasn't exactly a false statement. Debatable, for sure, but they didn't speak in absolutes, either.

Fair enough, I certainly can't speak to this with any real expertise. Though it's funny that those issues with western game design mirror things I've seen other (certainly more tactful than this fuckin' guy) western developers say about Japan's game design now.

WHOEVER WINS, WE LOSE

angelfly

I wish people would stop stating their opinion as if it's ome sort of universally agreed upon fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom