• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Long

Banned
most of the western games I see are refinements (or rather simplifications) of PC concepts from years back.
Right... which means they're new to the kids now playing and growing up with videogames. They have no idea that these same people made BETTER games in the '90's on the PC. The parallels with that time in PC gaming are pretty amazing. The main ones being how everything has to be online now and any local multiplayer is just a lucky bonus as well as single player portions becoming shorter and less interesting while they shoehorn multiplayer in all over the place.

Truth101

Banned
But it was a Square-Enix RPG on a handheld that had better market penetration than water at the time it was released, it wasn't exactly an obscure title.

Code:
11	DS	2007-07-27	289	Subarashiki Kono Sekai: It's a Wonderful World	Square Enix	5980	[B]192,955[/B]

20	DS	2008-08-21	3161	Sigma Harmonics	Square Enix	5490	[B]59,021[/B]

36	DS	2009-08-06	3666	Blood of Bahamut	Square Enix	5980	[B]103,829
[/B]
39	DS	2009-10-29	3754	Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light	Square Enix	5980	[B]200,3645[/B]

New IPs that square released on the DS, that are RPGs. I threw 4HoL in as it has been spun off from the Final Fantasy Brand.

Zekes!

"there's a 35 page thread about me on neogaf."

From his twitter. I guess he achieved what he really wanted in the first place: some good advertisement and some "look at how cool I am, I am indie".

Meh.

Man looking at his twitter and some of the (supportive) comments he's gotten is just sad.

Dude's an asshole.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Right... which means they're new to the kids now playing and growing up with videogames. They have no idea that these same people made BETTER games in the '90's on the PC. The parallels with that time in PC gaming are pretty amazing. The main ones being how everything has to be online now and any local multiplayer is just a lucky bonus as well as single player portions becoming shorter and less interesting while they shoehorn multiplayer in all over the place.

Console games are starting to even have quasi-CD keys!

Kade

"there's a 35 page thread about me on neogaf."

From his twitter. I guess he achieved what he really wanted in the first place: some good advertisement and some "look at how cool I am, I am indie".

Meh.

That probably wasn't his goal. I don't think he planned for people to take his remark out of context and use it against him so that he could be branded as a "racist" or "philistine". This whole thing could have been avoided if people weren't so irrational but whatever, everyone has the right to be angry about stupid things. I don't understand what the big deal is anyways. Reading the thread, it seems like everyone forgot about the fact that he said it at a public event to peers face and are just crying about his opinion. I'm pretty sure there were a few Japanese developers who have said the same thing about Western games, but who cares! It's only racist and horrible if a Westerner says it about Japanese games!

This thread is basically The Carnival of Stupid 2012. Can't wait for next year's thread.

That probably wasn't his goal. I don't think he planned for people to take his remark out of context and use it against him so that he could be branded as a "racist" or "philistine".

Doesn't seem to me that people are branding him anything other than a douchebag with no class which is very reasonable and not taking anything out of context.

This whole thing could have been avoided if people weren't so irrational but whatever, everyone has the right to be angry about stupid things. I don't understand what the big deal is anyways. Reading the thread, it seems like everyone forgot about the fact that he said it at a public event to peers face and are just crying about his opinion.

The whole thing could have been avoided if he had displayed some tact.
And I don't know what thread you're reading, but the place and way in which he expressed his opinion is what most people have taken offense to. But anything to make yourself feel better, I guess.

Dave Long

Banned
Console games are starting to even have quasi-CD keys!
It's all coming around. Having been around for it all, the parallels are pretty damn incredible... even the reaction of the gamers is the same.

The one major difference between then and now is there was no mechanism for selling downloadable add-ons back then so they gave 'em away for free. Those days are long gone for the most part except if your company has the name Valve.

ittoryu

That probably wasn't his goal. I don't think he planned for people to take his remark out of context and use it against him so that he could be branded as a "racist" or "philistine". This whole thing could have been avoided if people weren't so irrational but whatever, everyone has the right to be angry about stupid things. I don't understand what the big deal is anyways. Reading the thread, it seems like everyone forgot about the fact that he said it at a public event to peers face and are just crying about his opinion. I'm pretty sure there were a few Japanese developers who have said the same thing about Western games, but who cares! It's only racist and horrible if a Westerner says it about Japanese games!

This thread is basically The Carnival of Stupid 2012. Can't wait for next year's thread.

The dude can have his opinion and no one would give a crap about it (not me at least). However, there are different ways of expressing your opinions than just say "japanese game sucks" or "im sorry japanese guy! i was a bit rough, but your country’s games are fucking terrible nowadays" or even “japanese games are just two western games duct-taped together." If he doesn't say anything else or tries to give some explanations about it, then he should just shut up.

Then, as far as I am concerned, he can go on with his Fez, sell a trillion copies or live inside a cave, I don't give a shit; but, in my opinion, he will always be an arrogant douche.

P.S. You are welcome in the Carnival of Stupid btw.

7threst

Yeah, let's not make a big deal out of this so that developers with no proven track record but who do get a stage at a developers conference can continue being the assholes that they are instead of people calling this people out on their horrible attitude....
A lot of people in this thread care about the videogame industry being an open minded and a healthy industry you know. And in an industry like that there is no place for people like Phil Fish.

But maybe you are right and I (and other people) make this bigger (and make this Phil Fish-character seem bigger) then it actually is.

Doesn't seem to me that people are branding him anything other than a douchebag with no class which is very reasonable and not taking anything out of context.

Yeah, he just showed a lack of professionalism with the comment but according to people who were there he proceeded to back up his comment rather than coming off as just "lol Japanese games suck."

Zoe

If he doesn't want to be taken out of context, then he shouldn't run to Twitter right after and say the same thing.

HZLwS.png

Kade

The whole thing could have been avoided if he had displayed some tact.
And I don't know what thread you're reading, but the place and way in which he expressed his opinion is what most people have taken offense to. But anything to make yourself feel better, I guess.

Yes, ignore the fact that he explained his stance, even though he required assistance from another developer to elaborate. He could have presented himself better but he didn't. It's happened already. We've said bad things about him. He doesn't give a shit. I don't know what purpose this thread serves anymore other than to call Phil Fish names. Who cares though, I shouldn't be derailing this thread with rational.

Phil Fish racist, dumb, hipster, poop, shit, free-range coffee, indie, loser, baka gaijin.

ittoryu

Yes, ignore the fact that he explained his stance, even though he required assistance from another developer to elaborate. Who cares though, I shouldn't be derailing this thread with rational.

Phil Fish racist, dumb, hipster, poop, shit, free-range coffee, indie, loser, baka gaijin.

More like "Phil arrogant douchebag".

Sorry for being "irrational".

Dave Long

Banned
Yes, ignore the fact that he explained his stance, even though he required assistance from another developer to elaborate. Who cares though, I shouldn't be derailing this thread with rational.

Sorry, you lose. There's no explanation for being that arrogant and dickheaded to someone asking you a question in a professional setting. Nothing rational about defending a douchebag.

To add to that - the reason is once you pass university, say bye-bye to social life, most of the time. Majority of salarymen simply do not have time for anything, let alone gaming. So game developers will target school kids.

I also read, majority of characters in the manga follows the format of: old, ugly = bad guy; young, beautiful = good guy.

Hell, once you pass high school really.

NinjaBoiX

Sorry, you lose. There's no explanation for being that arrogant and dickheaded to someone asking you a question in a professional setting. Nothing rational about defending a douchebag.
I agree. He belittled that poor guy in front of an audience. I mean, dislike Japanese games, sure, even vocalise it if you must, but choose your words and forum carefully.

So to speak...

Kikujiro

Yes, ignore the fact that he explained his stance, even though he required assistance from another developer to elaborate. He could have presented himself better but he didn't. It's happened already. We've said bad things about him. He doesn't give a shit. I don't know what purpose this thread serves anymore other than to call Phil Fish names. Who cares though, I shouldn't be derailing this thread with rational.

I'm sorry american guy, but your opinion is fucking terrible.

You are being quite irrational. Calling out someone's douchebag comment shouldn't be a problem. I can't even recall a significant amount of people throwing out "racist" or "hipster", never mind that other stuff.

It kind of seems like you're a bit invested in protecting Phil, but if he doesn't care about the scrutiny his actions are receiving, then why does it bother you so much that this thread exists where most people just say it's a damn shame he wasn't more eloquent about his position and then go on to talk about issues relating to JP and Western games?

Did he explain his stance? Where?

Kade

You are being quite irrational. Calling out someone's douchebag comment shouldn't be a problem. I can't even recall a significant amount of people throwing out "racist" or "hipster", never mind that other stuff.

It kind of seems like you're a bit invested in protecting Phil, but if he doesn't care about the scrutiny his actions are receiving, then why does it bother you so much that this thread exists where most people just say it's a damn shame he wasn't more eloquent about his position and then go on to talk about issues relating to JP and Western games?

My sentiments lie in rationality but my methods do not. If you do not get where I'm coming from or what I'm trying to get across, either I'm a bad poster or the reader is bad at deciphering my post but for the sake of discussion, let's just say I'm a bad poster. Sorry, I should have presented my posts differently but it's too late now.

That said, you could say his presence at the panel was like a Fish out of water and that entire thread is like shooting Fish in a barrel. It's unfortunate that people had to sleep with the Fishes because of this non-issue.

#gofish

My sentiments lie in rationality but my methods do not. If you do not get where I'm coming from or what I'm trying to get across, either I'm a bad poster or the reader is bad at deciphering my post but for the sake of discussion, let's just say I'm a bad poster. I should have presented my posts differently but it's too late now.

I suppose it could be a communication issue. It's just that I see lots of discussion besides his comments, such as whether arbitrarily splitting games by regions is a good idea, to whether the perceived issues about JP games are also prevalent in Western games, etc. It's not just about picking on Phil, the thread is still here because people have found lots to talk about from this incident.

Well, we'll see how Fez turns out, but "your games just suck" is not much of a critique from an indie whose yet to sell a thing. And to answer the question to a J-dev in that manner at GDC, of all places, is just sad. This ain't Basketball and this guy sure ain't Michael Jordan.

Has this GDC spawned any interesting game design discussions? Any philosophical discussions and such?

Egoraptor should go to GDC and show this video to the crowd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

I thought it was an interesting look into game design from someone who didn't even make Mega Man or Mega Man X.

Hamplin

Banned
Amazing album.

Indeed. I wish there was more stuff like this coming out of there, but as far as I've seen that's pretty much as far as good japanese music goes.
In most cases it's not even generic, more like copies of already generic music from elsewhere in the world.
Perhaps there is more to find, i dunno.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I continually track down imports for my sega Saturn and I bought 2 Japanese games this week, Binary Domain and yakuza: dead souls.

Some people still enjoy software from Japan....

angelfly

That's what I want to know too. Surely somebody calls him out on his horrible attitude?

Giant Bomb mentioned it as a joke for about a minute. I don't think we'll see anyone talking about it since unlike the people involved in the FGC incident, Fish provides content for their site.

Is this really a problem? Doesn't GAF spend much of its time laughing at the 'journalists' in the games press?

Oh no, I don't care at all. It's not a problem. We laugh at them, they laugh at us. The eternal cycle.

I respect a good few of them though, so hopefully those guys can treat our (as in, not the crazies shouting racism but those of us saying he was acting like a tit) viewpoints with respect too.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
I respect a good few of them though, so hopefully those guys can treat our (as in, not the crazies shouting racism but those of us saying he was acting like a tit) viewpoints with respect too.

I would hope for the same, but to be honest since the beginning of this console generation I've had the suspicion that a lot of people in the games press hold the same opinion as Fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom