• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, because I'm sure everyone loves some sweet advertisement of them making an ass out of themselves.
Doesn't this also give NeoGAF free advertising too? And besides he's announcing this to people who already know about him, so I fail to see how it's free advertising for him. Sounds like most people on GAF already knew about him and are boycotting his game as a result of this incident.

Not to mention from what it sounds like (by the screencap of his Twitter), and correct me if I'm wrong, that he is just flailing his arms saying "Hey everyone, look at me! I'm being talked about on NeoGAF!"

spirity

Getting flashbacks of the ocean markettting saga. Some people just don't give a fuck. This incident will pass and the world will keep turning. The whole east/west topic is probably a debate worth having i guess even though its beaten to death somewhat. But Fish himself? Not worth the effort.

killbox

I guess part of being "indie" is that he can make comments like this. If he worked for one of the big guys he'd at the very least land himself a meeting with HR, if not worse...

spirity

I guess part of being "indie" is that he can make comments like this. If he worked for one of the big guys he'd at the very least land himself a meeting with HR, if not worse...

Never underestimate the power of the Community Manager who will vet you to death

All their albums are great, man. Also, I never said that Japanese games suck. :/

I never said you did. Apologies if that's what it seemed like I was implying.

Indeed. I wish there was more stuff like this coming out of there, but as far as I've seen that's pretty much as far as good japanese music goes.
In most cases it's not even generic, more like copies of already generic music from elsewhere in the world.
Perhaps there is more to find, i dunno.

Well then, may I recommend I Hate? I Hope? by Lemon's Chair...

1286545882_cover.jpg

Not hugely similar sounding to Mono, but they're Japanese, and they're post-rock (plus equal parts shoegaze and ambient), so that's enough basis to warrant a comparison...right? They're an unknown band and I just happened to discover them at some point during 2010, but this album has become one of my very favourites over time. Incredibly beautiful (and noisy) stuff.

Have a listen and see what you think...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4J-eNxql8s

geebee

Banned
If he doesn't want to be taken out of context, then he shouldn't run to Twitter right after and say the same thing.

HZLwS.png

Wow, really? And who was this Japanese developer? Did anyone find out? I hope once he is found out, people buy or at least try his games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Very few, I'd imagine, unless somebody digs this back up closer to release. Fez looks pretty good, despite the designer's shitty attitude.

I'll be honest, I don't really see how it looks anything special... it's ideas that have already been seen in games like Crush and Super Paper Mario, crossed with pixel-art that is a part of 90% of every single indie game out there. I'll be honest, I only had passing interest in the game to begin with (after this I'm not buying the game at all), and I'm usually a big fan of indie games and retro aesthetics.

FStop7

Banned
Getting flashbacks of the ocean markettting saga. Some people just don't give a fuck. This incident will pass and the world will keep turning. The whole east/west topic is probably a debate worth having i guess even though its beaten to death somewhat. But Fish himself? Not worth the effort.

Except in this case the perp is a member of da bros sekret club so the same people who tore the ocean marketting guy apart are going to handwave this whole thing away and call people who point out the fallacy of this as "weaboos" or whatever.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Very few, I'd imagine, unless somebody digs this back up closer to release. Fez looks pretty good, despite the designer's shitty attitude.

Yeah. The game looks interesting, with a couple of neat architectural stuff. The game mechanics are probably rather straight-forward and well-established at this point, but that's not a knock, of course. It's unique with the open-world angle in this context, but that's a good thing. I don't think it can fail in terms of criticism if it doesn't do something really dumb we can't know at this point.

Jasoco

Banned
It's funny. We all thought the whole MineCon Notch insulting Yogs thing was a big deal, but now no one remembers it because it turned out to all be a misunderstanding between cultures and attitudes. But this. This is a bit different. Fish keeps digging himself deeper and doesn't seem to have remorse because he really truly feels he is right.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
It's funny. We all thought the whole MineCon Notch insulting Yogs thing was a big deal, but now no one remembers it because it turned out to all be a misunderstanding between cultures and attitudes. But this. This is a bit different. Fish keeps digging himself deeper and doesn't seem to have remorse because he really truly feels he is right.

Well, his lack of tact indicates he's an inconsiderate person. It's not surprising if he's not willing to reflect upon what he's saying, or even consider all the games from Japan he hasn't touched for a moment.

He's not a cool dude.

FStop7

Banned

“The fact that Fez can have already won an IGF award and now it’s nominated for – what is it? – I think two awards, including the Grand Prize? I think it’s a really good reminder that the IGF is all about cliquey-ness, the scenesters that I yell about. The fact that it’s about the established – quote, unquote – indie scene. Not about what’s really exciting about DIY games, you know – the fact that anyone can make games."

Truth.

usea

Fantastic article. Sums up the fez igf situation really well.

To me, polytron comes off completely in the right with the igf thing. You can't fault a player/entrant for playing within the rules. The rules need to be adjusted, but until they are it'd be irresponsible of him not to take full advantage. He's absolutely right that it's up to him to promote the game in every way he can. The rules say he can enter, he absolutely should enter.

That said, the rules really -do- need to be adjusted. It's bullshit that fez can be entered when it's incomplete and then again when it's complete, for the same general competition. They should be separate categories at the very least. Also the audience thing is stupid, but audience awards are always going to be dumb. League of Legends won a few years ago. lol.

IGF needs work, but the people running it have everyone's best interests at heart and are sincerely doing all they can. Brandon Boyer and Simon Carless are both amazing people. The judging needs work, but it gets better every year. Anna Anthropy, the vocal igf critic in the article was a judge herself a few years ago and blogged about how terrible the system was. Carless responded immediately and they took her feedback into account to make changes.

The article gets pretty much everything right. Also the pirate kart is awesome. Everybody should check it out. http://www.piratekart.com/

Maedhros

Subarashiki Kono Sekai: It's a Wonderful World - 192,955

Way to talk bullshit. The game sold well in Japan.

There's a lot of worse games that sold better.

Only shows to me that people aren't really that favorable to try new concepts, instead they stick to the same old thing again.

Again, not a exclusivity from Japan.

“We’re not even thinking about it right now,” he says. “I mean, ultimately, I would like to see it on everything. Why not? But we do have exclusivity with Microsoft, as you do – you find it’s really hard to not do that.”

That actually gives me hope that it'll appear on PC, even if it uses GFWL.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Why did he make the comfy couch comment when only a few days later he told the exclusivity reason?

I just know it controls better than most of the games from the East. And I've played a lot of games from Japan, just check my gamertag, it's "Jag".

Am I missing something?

And I'm not sure how it controls better then most Japanese games. I'm not even sure how thats a big acomplisment for a FPS when everything else around it is bad. It's like saying Dynasty Warriors is better then any western action game because they got the controls satisfactory. I would sure hope they got the most basic things down. Too bad about everything else.

Fish, and other indie developers like him, are a joke.
Bums like Fish can't even complete a game even after 5 years. This is why indie gaming isn't taken seriously.

Don't be too hard on him. As often happens, his general poor behavior as a human being has already cost him dearly in his personal life during his inefficient manufacturing of Fez. It will only cost him more in the future, and all the while he will never make the connection that these things happen to him because he is a jerk, with a massively overinflated opinion of his worth.

Fez isn't an indie game anymore, anyway. Sucking the Microsoft teat for money kind of eradicates any indie scene posing this little man has done over the past five years of wasting time.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Fish, and other indie developers like him, are a joke.
Bums like Fish can't even complete a game even after 5 years. This is why indie gaming isn't taken seriously.

You're wrong, indie gaming is taken seriously. And while I don't like the guy, he and the team around him just won an award for Fez. The game is in cert, so it's complete, so he's not a joke.

Still, he has to learn to be a nicer person. That's not impossible. But it's a separate issue.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Please don't hate on the indie scene because of this one douchebag. Sure, there are others like him, but there are also some really great things coming out of the indie scene from people who aren't arrogant shitbags. You need to look no further than Minecraft, for example. Notch is an awesome guy by all accounts who found a lot of success and formed a company after making something very original.

Iknos

I took it upon myself to post the following reply:

twitterreply.jpg

Why is it that you guys can talk smack about him but he can't talk smack about japanese games?

Someone asked him a direct question and he gave his opinion on it. End of story.

Hey Phil Fish what do you think of Japanese games?
I think japanese games suck.

OH NO YOU BAD MAN NO CLASS LEWZAR

Hey Neogaf what do you think of Phil Fish?
I think Phil Fish sucks.

RIGHT ON BRA HIGH FIVEZ

xk0sm0sx

After reading the Pirate Kart article on RPS, I am now compelled to try it out

loved the times when I had shareware discs with 100+ random games in them...

Will try to contribute for the GDC Pirate Kart too...

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it that you guys can talk smack about him but he can't talk smack about japanese games?

Someone asked him a direct question and he gave his opinion on it. End of story.

Hey Phil Fish what do you think of Japanese games?
I think japanese games suck.

OH NO YOU BAD MAN NO CLASS LEWZAR

Hey Neogaf what do you think of Phil Fish?
I think Phil Fish sucks.

RIGHT ON BRA HIGH FIVEZ
Yes, because criticising a guy for being a tactless asshole on an internet forum is the same thing as being a tactless asshole in public and embarrassing a polite audience member. Even if one thinks his opinion is reasonable (and not a gross generalisation that a person in his position shouldn't be promoting), his behaviour was still way out of line.
If you don't understand the difference, maybe you have the same lack of social skills as Fish.

Indeed. I wish there was more stuff like this coming out of there, but as far as I've seen that's pretty much as far as good japanese music goes.
In most cases it's not even generic, more like copies of already generic music from elsewhere in the world.
Perhaps there is more to find, i dunno.
The noisyness might need some time getting used too, but it sure has it's appeal.
The track avaliable on spotify is nice.
Thanks! :)
Haha. Much of the best Japanese music is a lot noisier than that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom