• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Sure you think you're speaking with your wallet.. but it isn't going to make any kind of an impact. You're just denying yourself something you want for no good reason.

That's wrong in general. It's a common fallacy; you're disregarding the actor.
Your own choices affect yourself. If you're denying yourself something because of principles, that changes your life. Whether or not it is for the better depends, but it actually matters a lot in and of itself.

Just because you can't heal the world in one fell swoop doesn't mean you shouldn't be decisive, loyal, honest and so on.

Kade

Whatever floats your boat. Oh, and the last part was unnecessary.

There are a lot of unnecessary insults being thrown around in this thread directed at people who have differing opinions or outlooks (I'm probably guilty of this, too). The people who the insults are directed are level-headed and just continue defending their arguments without resorting to name-calling or belittling. It's great. I applaud you guys.

There are a lot of unnecessary insults being thrown around in this thread directed at people who have differing opinions or outlooks (I'm probably guilty of this, too). The people who the insults are directed are level-headed and just continue defending their arguments without resorting to name-calling or belittling. It's great. I applaud you guys.

I've insulted one person, maybe two. I called Phil Fish a fucking cunt, and I insinuated that Rabbit Clock is childish. I stand by what I said about Fish, and though I probably should've held back with Rabbit and admit it was poor form to tell him to grow up, he did imply that I was either a liar, or abnormal.

Normal people don't do a complete 180 over one stupid comment.

Kade

I've insulted one person, maybe two. I called Phil Fish a fucking cunt, and I insinuated that Rabbit Clock is childish. I stand by what I said about Fish, and though I probably should've held back with Rabbit and admit it was poor form to tell him to grow up, he implied that I was either a liar, or abnormal.

Your retorts are tame compared to some of the stuff I've seen on the last two or three pages.

I've insulted one person, maybe two. I called Phil Fish a fucking cunt, and I insinuated that Rabbit Clock is childish. I stand by what I said about Fish, and though I probably should've held back with Rabbit and admit it was poor form to tell him to grow up, he did imply that I was either a liar, or abnormal.

My apologies on my comment. Reading it back it wasn't even what I was trying to say. I meant if you were interested in the game you wouldn't of changed your mind over one comment. I was wrong in assuming that as well. Anyway, sorry if I came off as rude.

My apologies on my comment. Reading it back it wasn't even what I was trying to say. I meant if you were interested in the game you wouldn't of changed your mind over one comment. I was wrong in assuming that as well. Anyway, sorry if I came off as rude.

I apologize for my acidic tone earlier. I need to step back and cool it.

7threst

I apologize for my acidic tone earlier. I need to step back and cool it.

This is the start of something beautifull! All thanks to Phil Fish! The power of Fez <3

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, he actually won the IGF grand prize after all of that controversy? What a bullshit organization. Completely confirmed that it's just some inner circle of pretentious dickwads who want to act as the face of the indie community. Phil even admitted that his yet-again entry of Fez to the IGF was a "dick move", and yet he still gloats about it after claiming the prize that he was guaranteed to get? Man this guy is a real shit bag.

Trolling his twitter doesn't solve anything...

Neither does being one of the endless drones that do nothing but praise him in there. What exactly do the tweets of his fans "accomplish"?

Or "man, these people have no fucking life. Move on" in which case he would be right.

Here we go again with the weak "If you call out people on stupid things they do and discuss it at length, you're not a balanced person and are overreacting!" lecture.

Posting on his twitter probably just strokes his ego. At this point any "hate" he is getting just probably feeds him. It probably gives him and his friends something to laugh at. Really, at this point it's better to just ignore the dude.

Gaspode_T

Great, I have always been hoping for them to lower bar on letting people publish on XBLA but now to get a publishing contract they will make people undergo psychological evaluation first. (I'm joking, but still...there are actual types up in control who appreciate very much people with manners and business sense)

Summary: This is why we can't have nice things.

Yeah, he's a bit of a turd. But whatever, I still definitely will play the game because it looks fun. Just not so sure whether I'll actually put money down for it or not anymore.

Reading the Fez dude on twitter writing "no but seriously suck my dick" is just... sad.

Congrats to you and your 30000$ prize Phil, but you have no class/style at all.

When you have hundreds (thousands? might be too much, probably not thousands, not enough people give a shit) of people shitting down your throat for a comment you made, intentionally or not - or, actually, in this case it's probably more accurately for just trying to market his game - let's see if you get frustrated or not and start lashing out unnecessarily. Even though it should logically be easy to just turn away and ignore it, that kind of stuff does get to people. It happens time and time again, to various people on the internet. And when you actually manage to succeed in your goal? Why not gloat a little at the people who wanted you to fail so much?

When you have hundreds (thousands? might be too much, probably not thousands, not enough people give a shit) of people shitting down your throat for a comment you made, intentionally or not, let's see if you get frustrated or not.

If I was on the position of safeguarding the image of my company, what I would say is clarify my comment on why I think Japanese games suck, whether it's the genre or a certain game that you hate. It's pretty hypocritical that his game wouldn't exist without the likes of Japanese developers. Respect the peers.

To make it simple, he could've said "I apologize for my comment. It was out of hand" and GAF would've forgotten this fiasco by now.

When you have hundreds (thousands? might be too much, probably not thousands, not enough people give a shit) of people shitting down your throat for a comment you made, intentionally or not, let's see if you get frustrated or not and start lashing out unnecessarily. Even though it should logically be easy to just turn away and ignore it, that kind of stuff does get to people. It happens time and time again, to various people on the internet.

How many people have to shit down your throat before you realize you might have actually warranted it? At that point, if you don't admit you did something wrong you ARE a douche probably

Feep

Banned
I feel I'm justified in my response. Again for comparison:

AQJip.jpg
I just confirmed this as real.

I will not buy Fez, as appealing as it looks to me. This kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Dude can go fuck himself. He's giving me and every other indie dev out there a horrible name.

If I was on the position of safeguarding the image of my company, what I would say is clarify my comment on why I think Japanese games suck, whether it's the genre or a certain game that you hate. It's pretty hypocritical that his game wouldn't exist without the likes of Japanese developers. Respect the peers.

To make it simple, he could've said "I apologize for my comment. It was out of hand" and GAF would've forgotten this fiasco by now.

He's well aware that his game wouldn't exist without Japanese developers... of the past. All of the people on that panel agree that they owe a lot to Japanese games of yesteryear, and part of the frustration is that many Japanese games of today don't allow for the freedom of exploration of game mechanics the way pretty much every single game used to.

And he actually did apologize, just not in the way people wanted. Both during the panel and later on Twitter.

this thread feels like a corporate boardroom full of suits and red power ties who write pc emails to each other all day and then go make racist jokes at the golf course over shrimp and white wine mulling over the cart girl rape fantasy du jour.
zZz

Dave Long

Banned
this thread feels like a corporate boardroom full of suits and red power ties who write pc emails to each other all day and then go make racist jokes at the golf course over shrimp and white wine mulling over the cart girl rape fantasy du jour.
zZz
Actually, it feels nothing like that. It seems as though a lot of people would prefer human contact in a professional setting to remain, you know, professional, unlike how this cockgobbler chose to handle things.

I've never really disliked any developer until now. This guy needs to fail, hard.

He's well aware that his game wouldn't exist without Japanese developers... of the past. All of the people on that panel agree that they owe a lot to Japanese games of yesteryear, and part of the frustration is that many Japanese games of today don't allow for the freedom of exploration of game mechanics the way pretty much every single game used to.

And he actually did apologize, just not in the way people wanted. Both during the panel and later on Twitter.

Then it that case, he should just stop feeding the trolls. People say shit about every dev out there, but you don't see them replying to the comments by saying "suck my dick. choke on it".

Oh well...

P.S. I just his so called "apology". Definitely not the way one apologizes.

Zia

Phil Fish confirmed for Chris Brown levels of douchebaggery.

bkmdy.png

As a woman, your comment strikes me as infinitely more vile than anything Phil Fish has said.

I wish Shawn Elliott still had a platform for "Heroes of the Web." He would have a field day with this thread.

Actually, it feels nothing like that. It seems as though a lot of people would prefer human contact in a professional setting to remain, you know, professional, unlike how this cockgobbler chose to handle things.

I've never really disliked any developer until now. This guy needs to fail, hard.

Most coders I know abhor human contact this guy being no exception. Social awkardness is a key element to most creativity in this field. Phil's social awkardness is to take awards and hype and manifest it into an overblown ego. Nothing special. If he said something along the lines of "You yellow bastards stole the master race's ideas and made them your own" I think we'd have more to go with. But he didnt he just made a dumb opinion about which shore's videogames he liked best.

Like many of us I assume he grew up with japanese videogames and is sad to see them somewhat fall from grace over the past half decade. but whatever I'm not here to white knight the guy its just who cares? the rabble is embarrassing.

snap0212

Send a complaint to Microsoft and tell them that one of their partners is telling fans on Twitter that they should suck his dick and choke on it.

Wolfe

I meant it when I said you're free to, that wasn't meant as a flippant remark. If that really does ruin your enjoyment of it, that's really a personal decision. It would be silly to force yourself to play his game if it just keeps reminding you that you're supporting this guy who's kind of a dickhead. I just think it's worthwhile to better separate things we enjoy from the people who create them. I'm into some pretty extreme music, though, and I often find myself at odds with the personal beliefs of the people who make it, so maybe I'm just used to it.

Fair point, totally understand.

I guess I don't understand what we're protesting. It's not like he's funding Mexican drug cartels with his profits. That would be a good reason to not buy something. Even if he was a super-nice guy. Are we protesting people being obnoxious? Man, I can't tell you how many albums I've bought by obnoxious people.

I guess I don't understand what we're protesting. It's not like he's funding Mexican drug cartels with his profits. That would be a good reason to not buy something. Even if he was a super-nice guy. Are we protesting people being obnoxious? Man, I can't tell you how many albums I've bought form obnoxious people.

I rented Midnight in Paris the other day even though the director raped his step-daughter. Dont feel good about it but IT WAS THERE.

I just confirmed this as real.

I will not buy Fez, as appealing as it looks to me. This kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Dude can go fuck himself. He's giving me and every other indie dev out there a horrible name.

This is the last tweet I make to him but I just posted the following reply (at work on IPhone so no idea how/if to make screen shot):

@PHIL_FISH lol, like if David Jaffe had an insane younger brother with none of the charm or entertaining thoughts? Great PR campaign. Later

His peeps are about as mature as he is.

Kade

I guess I don't understand what we're protesting. It's not like he's funding Mexican drug cartels with his profits. That would be a good reason to not buy something. Even if he was a super-nice guy. Are we protesting people being obnoxious? Man, I can't tell you how many albums I've bought by obnoxious people.

Mein Kampf was a pretty good read.

This is the last tweet I make to him but I just posted the following reply (at work on IPhone so no idea how/if to make screen shot):

His peeps are about as mature as he is.

Okay, at this point, you're just trying to provoke him. If he bites back, don't complain about it.

Zia

I rented Midnight in Paris the other day even though the director raped his step-daughter. Dont feel good about it but IT WAS THERE.

I'm imagining an alternate timeline where grown men respond to Godard claiming Truffaut a "liar" by comparing Godard to murderers, rapists and calling for his expulsion from an "industry" he never claimed to be a part of.

Here's how I see it:

- Phil has yet to release a game and his game has been under development/fishing for the past 5 years;

- After getting featured in the movie and getting more publicity, he said shit about Japanese game developers without any basis to clarify his statement.

- People are picturing him as arrogant douche who is capitalizing on the new found publicity i.e. once he's back on the map after being ignored for the past couple of years;

- Instead of clarifying his statement, he goes on a pissing parade on how he is the only one to have won IGF twice and how others can suck his dick and choke on it.

Whenever you are in the spotlight, people who criticize anything you say. The last thing you want to do is present yourself as an asshole. It's best to ignore the outcry (if any) and let your product do the talking.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I went from being interested in his game to now actively wanting it to fail because of this guy's attitude. What a winner.

mrWalrus

Banned
Send a complaint to Microsoft and tell them that one of their partners is telling fans on Twitter that they should suck his dick and choke on it.

done.

I'm not sure this is the correct place to voice this issue, but one of your independent developer partners is on twitter making some salacious comments in regards to his victory last night at the IGF (Independent Games Festival). It bothers me immensely that Microsoft would choose to do business with someone who would treat its fans in such a manner.

Here is the twitter feed in question, https://twitter.com/#!/PHIL_FISH.

I know it's impossible to vet everyone for their professional or social graces before doing business with them, but once these issues do happen it'd be nice to see Microsoft take a stand and choose to not support these types of individuals.

snap0212

Wow, would they actually do anything?
I'm not sure. I would hope so. I'd also be interested in what Microsoft has to say about this. He's representing them in a way, he's working with them and all the attention he gets is because he's making a video game that they'll sell exclusively (for a time).

His name, his game, and what he does... it's all representing Microsoft in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom