• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Mergesort

If i understand it correctly you guys use less fuel to be faster, right? If so, can you get faster by losing car parts? I realy lose them all the time :p

fresquito

I haven't gone into setup, not even for lowering the fuel. I'm happy with my mark as it is. That said, if you're trying to be on the top, you better lower your fuel. If I lower my fuel will be just to see how it compares to other people.

But I don't think I will play much more in this TT. I find the circuit a bit boring.

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of the circuit being boring (which is better for me since there are fewer turns), is anyone else getting flickering shadows in the parts with all the trees on each side? It is almost painful to look at but I don't have my shadows on max for performance reason.s

Shaneus

Speaking of the circuit being boring (which is better for me since there are fewer turns), is anyone else getting flickering shadows in the parts with all the trees on each side? It is almost painful to look at but I don't have my shadows on max for performance reason.s
There still seem to be a few issues with anything on max... I actually had to wind down reflections because of flickering, maybe bump each setting down a notch and see if it changes it.

I don't know if it was answered before, but do any tracks have a map HUD feature? Would help me with learning tracks, which I struggle with at Milan H because it's a relatively new track for me :/

Also... best FOV setting?

Blizzard

Banned
There still seem to be a few issues with anything on max... I actually had to wind down reflections because of flickering, maybe bump each setting down a notch and see if it changes it.

I don't know if it was answered before, but do any tracks have a map HUD feature? Would help me with learning tracks, which I struggle with at Milan H because it's a relatively new track for me :/

Also... best FOV setting?
I think a couple of us mentioned in previous posts, it seems like only a couple of maps have minimaps right now (possibly Connecticut Hill and Bologna). I imagine they will get added in the future.

pax217

I've been playing now for about an hour, I am very impressed with this game. Unfortunately... I'm driving via arrow keys. I need to get myself a supported wheel!

I digress, it's awesome. I love the sound, graphics, feel of the Atom (only thing I've driven). Really loving it.

I've got everything running on max on my 5950, doesn't look nearly as good as your guys'; what should I be doing differently?

Thanks to all who've made this game possible!

Grassy

I just signed up as a team member, I don't really know much about this game other than what I've seen in this thread but it looks like it has great potential. Downloading now.

That's just mental. That has to be close to WR if not WR? I need to try your setup!

I was quite proud of my new time of 1:32.622 until I saw that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTxCR2vXMYI

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)

markao - 1:30.812 (video)
Orgun - 1:32.167 (video)
Foliorum Viridum - 1:32.622 (video)
Dilly - 1:32.686
Salacious Crumb - 1:32.824
fresquito - 1:33.030
Whatevaman - 1:33.566
jet1911 - 1:34.670
kafiend - 1:34.731
_machine - 1:34.850
Blizzard - 1:41.437
Shaneus - 1:41.635

Blizzard

Banned
I've got everything running on max on my 5950, doesn't look nearly as good as your guys'; what should I be doing differently?
Try playing with the different HDR settings in the display options. That's probably one of the biggest things that can change how the game looks.

Also, try playing with the clear to hazy or clear to overcast weather, since the overcast effect is really nice.

Shaneus

Shit. Entering a non-professional, non-formal time trial thing and the best guy in the world happens to be on there. Awesome.

Well, there's not millions of people playing so he's a big fish in a small pond, but he definitely seems to be the guy we need to get banned before our proper pCAR league ;)

Shaneus

Well, there's not millions of people playing so he's a big fish in a small pond, but he definitely seems to be the guy we need to get banned before our proper pCAR league ;)
True. Looking forward to that league, too... unless it's at a time that's prejudiced against Australians :p

Is there a way to add friends in this? I'm sure I saw something in-game about it but I don't recall the ability to add friends in it.

Watevaman

Call in the FIA and get their regulations transferred to pCARS.

Sorry, can't be that fast, gonna have to revoke your license.

markao

:lol: I'm reasonable quick, depending on the crowd ;) but not that fast, so yes small pond.

I have organised league races with GTR(2) for years for the absolute fastest guys in the world (the Huttu's of this planet) and those guys are just insanely fast and consistent and trust me, I'm not :p

But I don't think I have reached the max yet on this combo, so I would not be surprised to see someone getting close to the 1.30 (or even below)

Shaneus

Well, I've done my first quasi-mod for the DFGT pedals:
qurGw.jpg

Ghetto, but anyway:
*Pedals upside down and pivot from top rather than bottom, feels WAY better
*Removed black, harder spring from brake (now accel) so that the tension is the same on both pedals
*Removed foam pad on base of old brake so that it has more throw
*Used said foam pad on old brake pedal shaft to reduce resting point, now sits at roughly the same level as the other pedal
*Given the entire range of old brake has shifted, adjusted gearing on pedal so the full range as read by the PC matches the new throw created

Hope that makes sense! About to test it in-game, but I think it's going to make one hell of a difference. Next change will be to increase the tension in the old accel so it feels more like a brake, but that will be all I'd need to do, I think.

Orgun

Well, I've done my first quasi-mod for the DFGT pedals:
http://i.imgur.com/qurGw.jpg

Ghetto, but anyway:
*Pedals upside down and pivot from top rather than bottom, feels WAY better
*Removed black, harder spring from brake (now accel) so that the tension is the same on both pedals
*Removed foam pad on base of old brake so that it has more throw
*Used said foam pad on old brake pedal shaft to reduce resting point, now sits at roughly the same level as the other pedal
*Given the entire range of old brake has shifted, adjusted gearing on pedal so the full range as read by the PC matches the new throw created

Hope that makes sense! About to test it in-game, but I think it's going to make one hell of a difference. Next change will be to increase the tension in the old accel so it feels more like a brake, but that will be all I'd need to do, I think.[/QUOTE]

Haha that does look proper ghetto. What's the benefit of switching the pedals like that? Just more realistic?

Watching GP2 at the mo and all I can think about is grabbing my wheel and putting in more laps in CARS...

kafiend

I Just wanted to say thanks to markao for posting his setup. I reduced my time a little but the car feels far FAR better than my time represents.

I think any laptime issue I have is now located somewhere between the wheel and the chair :p

Jibbed

Picked this up the other day, add me to the 'Team members' list :)

I'm currently lacking a wheel (G27 coming soon) but it feels pretty good with a 360 controller, Formula B seems the most satisfying to drive for me so far.

Also, I was just wondering how the 'free-cam' works in replays? I figured out how to enable it and move around, but it's clunky as hell. Are you able to control zoom/tilt etc? If so, what are the keys? Thanks!

Isomac

I was checking out those new tracks yesterday. Quite hard to drive with the 360 controller. Those jumps are a bit random. In one jump it felt like someone hit the turbo boost button. Then I was rolling couple seconds. I tried to accelerate but nothing happened and my controller was rumbling like crazy. Then I changed to outside view and saw this:

pcars2012-03-2402-23-aifui.jpg

When was this added or is it just a bug? I don't remember ever messing up my car that badly.

Shaneus

I've gone slightly better at a 1:36 something, and I've also gone "Full Member".

After fucking around with settings all over the shop, I've found that 100 steering sensitivity, motion blur low, no MLAAX8, injected (not internal) FXAA, no HDR and all other graphical settings make this game look HOT, handle and run perfectly well. PC barely breaks a sweat :D

Also, FV... you've somehow managed to continue on your rabid tirade against Australians by screwing up the link to my time in your posts. The above one should work. That's after only dropping fuel to get a better speed, can easily see where I can save a good 2-3 seconds, it's just coming to grips with the finer points of the '68, maybe tweaking the FFB as well.

This shit is fun :)

Yeah organising a league will take more effort than our F1 2011 league, for sure.

I'll update the table in a sec. I'm amazed Orgun has got a WR - he can't drive for shit usually ;)

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)

markao - 1:30.812 (video)
Big Takeover - 1:31.385 (Video)
Dilly - 1:31.877
Orgun - 1:32.167 (video)
Foliorum Viridum - 1:32.622 (video)
Salacious Crumb - 1:32.824
fresquito - 1:33.030
Whatevaman - 1:33.566
jet1911 - 1:34.670
kafiend - 1:34.731
_machine - 1:34.850
Shaneus - 1:36.567
Blizzard - 1:41.437

Orgun

Oh I thought you meant for our table!

Suzuka is so much fun in this game, isn't it? Going around 130R... phwoar.

Ah no way man, I don't think I could get under a 1.31 so i've given up on that. Messing around with other car/track combos now.

The esses in the 77 Lotus feel great

autocannon

Neo Member
Hello GAF

This, I think, is my first post.

Fell in love with this project immediately.

GAF username: autocannon
Project level: Senior
pCars username: autocannon

mclaren777

We are now up to $4300 so what ever became of our plan to use Blizzard's status to design an in-game billboard?

Should we seek out Design-GAF for help on making a professional image?

Kyaw

We are now up to $4300 so what ever became of our plan to use Blizzard's status to design an in-game billboard?

Should we seek out Design-GAF for help on making a professional image?

I'll whip up something, what are the requirements? (dimensions etc)

Top Bottom