• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Gintoki

NxjTwl.jpg

Just a heads up, the Unholy Edition of TBOI is up for preorder on UK Amazon, priced at £13.99. Release date is 16th of March. Includes:

- DRM free copy of the game.
- Steam code for the game.
- Soundtrack disc.
- 40 page sketchbook
- Poster.

survivor

Banned
So I just beat Sheol for the first time with Maggy. Feels so good. I got that ability that makes me shoot bombs and had the bombs stronger with the other item. I was too broken.

Gintoki

That poster is absolutely terrifying. Has he given a release date for the expansion? That would be nice if the Unholy Edition included it.

Hes still working on the expansion, I don't think this will include it.

So I just beat Sheol for the first time with Maggy. Feels so good. I got that ability that makes me shoot bombs and had the bombs stronger with the other item. I was too broken.

Heh. I felt the same when I first used moms knife.

Vlad

Yeah, that's Dr. Fetus for you. It's pretty much a "win button"-level item.

Ifrit

Man I had such a great run with ????? last night, had the nail and batteries and mom's knife, 12+ soul hearts, and the game freezes just a couple of rooms before mom's heart FML

This freeze/glitch is strange, the sprites are animating in place but I can't do a damn thing to make anything move, can't even pause the game or exit fullscreen mode within the game, I can alt tab to return to windows though. Had this problem a couple of times now, both happened in the womb and both were great runs (first one was with Isaac though) , anyone with a similar experience?

Since I got all of the achievements, I've been trying to challenge myself to complete the game in unusual ways. Last run, I went through with Eve, using Whore of Babylon the whole time. So, when in Basement 1, I immediately damaged myself until I had half a heart left, then only picked up soul hearts. It was incredibly awkward trying to open chests without picking up hearts. Sometimes hearts would be very near to a doorway, so I would need to edge my way around it. I couldn't use any pills, incase they were "Full Health", I couldn't pick up food (which a lot of the bosses seemed to drop) either. In the end, I actually completed it quite easily. I had Gish, Robo Baby, The Rock, The Pact, The Compass, The Ladder, PHD (super useful /sarcasm) and a few others I can't remember.

I'm really excited for the expansion, seeing how it will have built in challenges.

Ifrit

I've clocked in nearly fifty hours without a single freeze-up.

I think.

Im around 40 hours and had three freezes and a glitchy boss fight, the two I mentioned before and one whole freeze (nothing animating at all).

I also had a glitchy boss fight, I think it's Death the horseman that fill the screen with scythes. Well, he went to one of the borders of the stage and just stood there throwing scythes at me, and I couldn't do anything to hit him, not even bombs. And well, after like 5 minutes of pointless dodging I just had to let him kill me :(

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
hkbaQ.png

I went for a lot of familiars that run.

And speaking of glitches, the Cube of Meat 2 I had wouldn't seem to shoot. It animated like it was, but no shots were coming out. And occasionally there would be glitchy flickers on the screen like blood was hitting the ground. So the game maybe thought it was shooting, but it wasn't...

(And despite all that, Monstro 2 killed me on that floor. Bah.)

MNC

Ugh, just got killed again after having awesome items as Judas, got to womb, 5 + 2 hearts, and then I get hit too often by the scythes-horseman's scythes and DIE. I hate this game. I love this game.

Insured

smash.jpg

Just had an immensely lucky run as Eve, got 30 coins in the first two floors and found a shop with book of revelations + 9 volt inside. Found a battery later on, and got more soul hearts than I could ever lose despite playing horribly, getting hit a lot and not finding the boss room in Sheol until the last possible room... Having a skeleton key -> bombs are key pill, homing bombs, super meat boy, 3x flies and an attack fly, the dead bird and two familiars on top of that, I have to say this run was pure luck :D My own tears weren't that strong (I believe I only had A lump of coal + spectral tears) but I didn't even really need them to be able to beat Sheol with ease. Crazy how sometimes everything just clicks.

Weenerz

Banned
Brain farted and reformatted without backing up my isaac save, so now I have to start fresh =/

Are there any sites out there hosting TBOI saves? I had 104 items.

Joe Molotov

Yes! Just got the Mama's Boy achievement. My Isaac was so badass that round, I had everything maxed except range, I had Ouji Board, I had Lord of the Pit, I had Demon Baby and Sister Maggy, I had two flies and a Lv. 1 meat and a distant admirer.

Still need Dark Boy to 100%, but I'm feeling pretty pumped now.
Ez30S.jpg

Edmund McMillen
‏ @EdmundMcMillen

Attention: After a long internal debate Nintendo has decided NOT to allow the Binding of Isaac on the 3ds. :(

As many assumed the reasons were due to the games "questionable religious content". Thank GOD Steam exists!

itworkedout.png

Hooray! Have now beaten the Sheol with Isaac and Eve, beaten Mom's Heart/It Lives with Maggy and Cain, and nothing with Judas 'cos he sucks. Haven't touched ????? yet.

My game of 2011. Easily.

16032012isaac2.png

My best run ever. Satan dead. Health off the screen. 1-up completely unused. I actually set the pad down and stopped firing to take a screen, and my followers killed Satan off before I could snap him in time.

I had the Battery which charges items over time, I had 5-volt which makes items start with 2 points of charge already loaded, and I had the Book of Revelations which gives a soul/armour heart every time it's used. And it was recharging on EVERY SCREEN.

This is close to being my favourite game of all time.

Everytime this thread gets bumped without news on the expansion, I it's a total tease.

(awesome screenshot though. I love the book of revelations plus batteries, it's almost an I-win button)

So, i just found this in my steam list.. not sure if i was gifted it or i bought it when on sale.

Despite the ... dickish attitude of team meat at times i was a massive SMB fan and a huge part of that was the art style.

I plan to give this some serious playtime, just wondering if you guys think ill like it and any tips going in fresh.

Fake Edit: 30 Dec 2011 £0.99 Purchase The Binding Of Isaac <- steam sales :/

Thinking of grabbing the unholy edition to support the devs since i got it for £1

dc89

Just picked this game up from Steam and when I try to launch it, it won't get past "Preparing to launch" Anyone got any ideas?

Tried almost everything, restarting Steam/Verifying game cache/Reinstalling the game/Deleting ClientRegistry.blob

Chronoja

Just picked this game up from Steam and when I try to launch it, it won't get past "Preparing to launch" Anyone got any ideas?

Tried almost everything, restarting Steam/Verifying game cache/Reinstalling the game/Deleting ClientRegistry.blob

Is your version of flash up to date? Only thing I can think of

Haunted

and done!

Those headless jumpers in The Depths had prevented my Dark Boy achievement for too long.

ibw2YGVj4aeOBw.JPG

2012's 2011 GOTY, imo.

Can't believe I spent so much time with it. The numbers just add up because it's so easy and tempting to fire it up and just do one or two runs at a time. Fantastic difficulty progression and addictive design. Greatly looking forward to the expansion pack!

edit: as an aside - 64 out of 63 secrets? what?

Haunted

I'm jealous, I still haven't gotten that Dark Boy achievement.
I hear it's the very last one for a couple of people. There's just something about the level layout and enemies of the Depths that make no damage runs harder.

I did it with Judas and had treasure map + compass + bible so I could go pretty much straight to mom in the fewest rooms possible and instakilled her. The coolest part about Isaac is that so many item combinations can be useful while encouraging wildly different playstyles.

Joe Molotov

For one thing, Mom's Heart is a lot easier than Mom. Also in the Womb you usually get Scolex, but in the Depths you might have to fight some bullshit like Monstro II.

Top Bottom