• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Salacious Crumb

I've gotten my time down to a 1:36.031 EXACTLY the same time as Yoritomo but the game put me ahead on the leader board :D.

I have no idea how markao gets the car turned in so nicely, post a video with the throttle and break overlay so I can learn your secret ways.

Polyphony

Seriously there must be some kind of voodoo going on lol. 1.5 seconds between 1st and 3rd position. That's crazy. Loving the videos and setups though, thanks markao!

Watevaman

It is just BRNO.

Read it loud - an it should sound BRNO.

Nothing more, nothing less.

For a native English speaker like me it's hard to wrap my mind around pronouncing those 3 consonants in a row when we don't have any words with them in that order.

But yeah, I'll stick to brr-no for now.

fresquito

Reminds me of how hilarious native English speakers pronounce my last name.
lol.

That reminds me of when I went to Ireland and the guy from the trip company told me: "Mr. Martinis..." and I was like: wow, I don't like drinking that much!

Martinez, it's not that hard!

markao

I've gotten my time down to a 1:36.031 EXACTLY the same time as Yoritomo but the game put me ahead on the leader board :D.

I have no idea how markao gets the car turned in so nicely, post a video with the throttle and break overlay so I can learn your secret ways.
I will see if I have some time tomorrow, but here is yesterdays lap from the replay cam.

It is not the 1.34.5, as I messed up braking (rear locking) for the chicane and went over the entrance sideways ended up straight somehow without losing time, but as I sad originally, two wheels on tarmac in the chicane so that lap does not count for me ;)

Atom at Derby GP - 1.34.628

Yoritomo

Alphabetical discrimination!!!

Getting the car to turn in better at high speed is really the key for a fast lap time.

markao

I can't come remotely close to being able to work the gearbox like you can. Downshifts especially. You don't always, but when you do, are you clutching with pedal or a button? I've just been using auto-clutch which looks to be a mistake.
When all goes as planned, I use the clutch (pedal/automatic clutch NO in settings) on up-shifts and blip the throttle on down-shifts. However when I mess things up or get stressed, I often, not deliberate, only lift on downshift and do not use the clutch anymore, no idea why ;) You could get away with flat shifting on most cars for up shifts (and be few tenths quicker) and no blipping (or clutch) on downshifts, up to point the car does not get to unstable while slowing down, for hotlapping (I prefer stable and therefore blip throttle). But during longer races you would damage your engine/car way to much, so I more or less always stick to it (clutch/lift/blip) even during qualifying/hotlapping, unless we are driving modern F1 like cars ;)

My final entry, perfect lap would be 2/3 tenths quicker, but it is so easy to just miss one apex and loose two tenths on this track in each sector, so I'm pretty happy with my current best.

Ariel Atom at Derby GP - 1.34,267

When all goes as planned, I use the clutch (pedal/automatic clutch NO in settings) on up-shifts and blip the throttle on down-shifts. However when I mess things up or get stressed, I often, not deliberate, only lift on downshift and do not use the clutch anymore, no idea why ;) You could get away with flat shifting on most cars for up shifts (and be few tenths quicker) and no blipping (or clutch) on downshifts, up to point the car does not get to unstable while slowing down, for hotlapping (I prefer stable and therefore blip throttle). But during longer races you would damage your engine/car way to much, so I more or less always stick to it (clutch/lift/blip) even during qualifying/hotlapping, unless we are driving modern F1 like cars ;)

My final entry, perfect lap would be 2/3 tenths quicker, but it is so easy to just miss one apex and loose two tenths on this track in each sector, so I'm pretty happy with my current best.

Ariel Atom at Derby GP - 1.34,267

Great answer. The flat upshifts are understandably quick, but those downshifts are so, so smooth. Your 5-->1 downshift for the hairpin is impossible using auto-clutch. The rears start locking by 3rd gear ;)

That's some terrific driving on your part.

I'm going to look into what kind of options are out there for button clutching. I'll try out some clutchless hotlaps too.

markao

Great answer. The flat up-shifts are understandably quick, but those downshifts are so, so smooth. Your 5-->1 downshift for the hairpin is impossible using auto-clutch. The rears start locking by 3rd gear ;)

That's some terrific driving on your part.

I'm going to look into what kind of options are out there for button clutching. I'll try out some clutch-less hotlaps too.

I would not go trough the trouble of mapping a button if you don't have a clutch, except maybe for race start purpose.

- Just start with lifting on up-shifts (if you ever get a clutch, you just press is somewhere in the middle of it ;) ), in most if not all currently available sims, you will not damage your engine that way, which might happen with flat up-shifting.

- And try to find a rhythm on the down-shifts/blipping throttle, that fits the car/speed/tires you are driving. On a high downforce modern F1 car at high-speed you can probably get away with quick down-shifts, without locking(from 6th to 3rd) . On a old Formula car with older tires, less downforce (road cars) you will have to be more patient and find out with what you can get away with (for me mostly done on sound, engine/tire squeal).

You will find out it will come second nature rather quickly if you stick to it for some time.

So what happens to us juniors if we don't pay up this week? Still get monthly builds?
I have not seen anything to suggest that tomorrows build (content wise) will not be the same for all members. How it exactly will be after tomorrows build, no clue.
[edit]Content wise things did change, as the to point to point roads are not included for Jr's, sorry for the mis information ;)

_machine

Sorry if it's been asked recently but is the final "upgrade/buy-in membership" date set?
I don't think so, it's probably when SMS seal the investor deal(which apparently might not be a game publisher according to one of Andy's posts) so I'm guessing they won't be able to provide an exact time since that stuff is apparently under NDA, but I'm guessing it's going to be within a few weeks maybe.

Anyway, the latest build is up for all members, but I think Juniors don't have acces to the country road tracks and eventually there will be a car or cars that won't be available for juniors during the development. Other than that, everything will remain the same; you'll get your builds like before.

Also, you should read the A.J.'s Thread about physics. If I understood correctly, AJ, whoever he is, is working on a completely(?) revised, another type of physics engine for player controlled cars and the AI would use the physics we're currently driving, just "fixed"?

EDIT: The TweakIt Tool for lighting and other stuff is for full members+ and now available.

Three60

I don't think so, it's probably when SMS seal the investor deal(which apparently might not be a game publisher according to one of Andy's posts) so I'm guessing they won't be able to provide an exact time since that stuff is apparently under NDA, but I'm guessing it's going to be within a few weeks maybe.

Anyway, the latest build is up for all members, but I think Juniors don't have acces to the country road tracks and eventually there will be a car or cars that won't be available for juniors during the development. Other than that, everything will remain the same; you'll get your builds like before.

Also, you should read the A.J.'s Thread about physics. If I understood correctly, AJ, whoever he is, is working on a completely(?) revised, another type of physics engine for player controlled cars and the AI would use the physics we're currently driving, just "fixed"?

EDIT: The TweakIt Tool for lighting and other stuff is for full members+ and now available.

Can you please point me to the topic where he said that? Thanks ;)

EDIT: Build 189 is up /Junior+/

Btw people have found out that Porsches are coming. Not sure which one exactly yet but most probably the race versions. That's great cause the game could really use some proper GT cars.

It was not confirmed (or denied) by SMS but if you look at that video on the Fanatec website you will see that they are driving Porsches on a "unnamed new racing simulator (not from EA or Microsoft)" and you can clearly see the pCARS hud on the screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuzssiai0L8&feature=player_embedded

Porsche Motorsport Online?

http://automaniax.com

It's a full simulation game in development with Porsche, they plan on picking up other makes and licenses, it's supposed to be a continually expanding online racing community.

I was at the new Porsche boxster launch this week and they had 4 sim units set up. Was very nice and felt very good, very realistic, amazing sounds and great models. The only car available was the gt3 cup and it was on hockenheim but I was very impressed.

The race had 24 cars on track at once and the graphics were quite good.
Going to keep an eye on this, supposedly it will be free to play and include online mp, clubs, different classes and events, series racing, all sorts of community things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jADyUpQ2V6w&feature=player_embedded

Is that being developed by Slightly Mad Studios?

Cause that was the pCARS HUD and menu. No doubt about it.

8s0qP.png

a8yeC.png

vzGfT.png

rxORY.png

Megasoum

Banned
Is that being developed by Slightly Mad Studios?

Cause that was teh pCARS HUD and menu. No doubt about it.

Yeah that's why I'm trully puzzled by the whole thing. If you watch the fanatec video you can clearly see the logo and the screenshot of that new Porsche game on the panel between the two TVs...but, like you said, it's clearly pCars bein played...

One wild theory that I came up with while talking about the whole situation with my friend today is that maybe Porsche is the new partner that SMS has been hinting about in the last couple of weeks? Porsche would pay SMS to license the technology/engine to create their own F2P promotional game and SMS would use that money to get the rest of the founding on pCARS.

Megasoum

Banned

xptoxyz

It could be like the M3 Challenge stand-alone game Blimey! (Ian Bell) did for BMW.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/mseries/m3coupe/2007/experience/game/content.html

No Porsche in the logo (or name if the site is real) seems a bit weird though, if it is a Porsche only game.

That website if real, is not registered to Slightly Mad, at least not upfront.

Also not enough difference, but the buttons seem to be embossed whereas pCars are flat. Also the gears "R" seems like a different font, and the gear light is different in size in relation to the gear number.

edit: Didn't read Wax's post too well

The website seems to possibly be registered to a German marketing company, so all's safe there :)

I have little doubt it will be some sort of subset of pCARS. The likeness is obvious. Hopefully it doesn't mean that pCARS won't actually be getting Porsches now. That they'll be reserved for this F2P thing. It may not really matter much though. I think it was stupid-easy to slip the BMW content into RACE '07.

That's a good move by SMS, if that's how it's really playing out.

Shaneus

So we know that Porsche will be in it? I mean, if you remember, the Brawn F1 was demoed in rFactor but from my knowledge, it was never released...
Called it.

Edit: Well, sort of. I think I was just a little more skeptical than everyone else this early on in the game.

spicy cho

I haven't spent enough time with it to be able to comment, it just seems like they're juggling too many projects based on the news. (Test Drive Ferrari, etc)

Blizzard

Banned
It seems like they have been progressing quite well to me. I won't be submitting a time since the new build is already out, so I'll wait for the next time trial pick.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #3 - Ariel Atom Mugen @ Derby GT (Build 184)

image.php

1. markao - 1:34.267 (video)
2. SmiggyRT - 1:35.754
3. Yoritomo + Salacious Crumb - 1:36.031

BigTakeover - 1:36.399
Speech - 1:36.498
Dilly - 1:36.567
Polyphony - 1:36.632
fresquito - 1:39.133

Well done again, markao! The number of entries tells you how hard that goddamn car was to drive. Since you got your pick last week I'll go ahead and pick something I think will be easier this week! :p

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #4 - Formula A @ California Raceway (Build 189)

A very high speed track with a car that's not hard to drive. The Monza challenge was very popular, and I hope this will be a similar case of easy to do, hard to master!

Previous weeks:
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)

Yen

I thought Test Drive Ferrari has been cancelled (at least from SMS)?

No. It was shelved in 2008 as SMS went to make Shift but has been revived. SMS are still developers. Releases in May. I'm looking forward to it for all those 70s/80s F1 cars.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Drive:_Ferrari_Legends
It looks good. I was watching a French video preview and the narrator was getting very vitriolic towards Shift and kept saying how TD:F is nothing like it, so that's a plus.

Top Bottom