• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My research into Metroid Prime’s gargantuan cut content.

Risgroo

Great job! I hope Retro goes back to Metroid soon, the series' mythologi is so interesting, and it would be great to see it fleshed out even more(Other M doesn't count).

IISANDERII

A surviving Chozo?

chozo1exy8y.jpg

(Source: Metroid Prime Instruction Manual)

livingchozo9auuq.gif

(Source: Martin L’Heureux)

This intriguing image and animation would suggest that at some point, at least one Chozo (or a sleek robotic recreation of one) was operating on Talon IV. The animation seems to suggest caution and stealth, a far cry from the deranged Chozo ghosts seen in the final release.

Could secret sabotage from this creature be the reason for the various failures and delays reported by the Space Pirates in their logs?
My favourite part of the game was reading the logs and I would've loved to see this.
A lot of content was cut...makes me want to play the sequel now, even after all these years.

This thread delivers.

legacyzero

Banned
Love me some Metroid Prime! Still surprised at how awesome it was. I remember how reluctant to accept it that I was because I loved 2D Metroid the way I did. Boy was I ever wrong.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
A lot of this doesn't quite look like cut content, but things that changed during normal iteration processes. Like, say, Flaahgra's forest environment may have turned out too busy visually to play well, or may have been too taxing on the hardware. Ridley is in, mostly as shown. Thardus might originally have been a Magmoor boss, and all that changed was due to him being put in a different sector of the world. Omega Metroid may have been the original concept for Omega Pirate. Just like flying insectoid guy <=> jet-pack pirate.

The environment captures are recognizable as Chozo Ruins Plaza and a tunnel in Magmoor that is still in the first game. Maybe some platform moved around, yes. But they're not absent from the product as it was released.

I think it's pretty standard procedure to throw a lot of ideas around in the concepting stage, and then pick and choose the ones that seem the most promising and the most fitting. That's basically what I'm seeing in most of those examples.
Yeah, that's my take as well. "Cut" seems a bit strong of a term, they're mostly exploratory ideas or designs that were either taken in slightly different directions in the final product, or just brainstorms that never got fleshed out.

I think you'd find almost every game has a similar clutch of alternate designs and concepting that doesn't make it into the final product. Probably a lot more on average, actually.

Pyrokai

I keep saying I want Retro to move onto other things that aren't Metroid or Donkey Kong, but hell if they aren't the best at Metroid. Would not mind seeing it in their hands again someday. Amazing stuff. Can't wait for the 1.5, 2, and 3 threads.

randomwab

Quick question, but what's the best way to play Prime 1 and 2? I have them both on Gamecube and I have the Trilogy disc, but I heard some things were cut to save space on the disc. Which way should I go?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is the best topic I've seen on GAF in a while. Well done, OP.

MechaX

Holy shit at Sheegoth Prime and Chozo Suit Ridley. I definitely think the former would have been a really kick-ass encounter if they could have implemented it.

Also, the Omega Metroid being unlockable via Metroid Prime - Fusion connectability actually would have been a fairly awesome idea (albeit, a bit problematic for playability on the Wii or through the Trilogy version).

Thanks for the enthusiastic comments, really glad you guys enjoyed it! Such positive reception only encourages more exploration.

Just to echo the sentiment, Metroid Prime is my favourite game of the last generation. I've raved on elsewhere about its considerable strengths, so I won't repeat myself. Exploring this excised content is not intended to be critical, more to give us a deeper understanding of a majestic game.

Though some of the content was undoubtedly cut for budget and time reasons, a lot of it was almost certainly down to certain ideas having a detrimental affect on the game. Perhaps Sheegoth Prime was simply not a fun battle? Perhaps the Chozo incarnate or possessed Ridley were too convoluted?

What I would love would be a chance to see a HD remix of the game, with some of these elements re-implemented as an alternate quest. I'd be giddy over a chance to explore the Impact Crater, to understand Mother Brain's machinations, to battle Kraid in the third dimension, and to meet a living/robotic Chozo. The idea of a spiritually ascended Ridley is tantalising!

However, Retro produced a near-perfect game, and if they felt this content resulted in a less quality product, I absolutely trust their judgement.

Sheegoth Prime looks absolutely incredible, and the Thardus being the Magmoor Caverns boss switched out in place of Sheegoth Prime seems to make sense.

I always thought Magmoor Caverns not a having a boss seemed odd. Could have been interesting if you fought Thardus there instead

Your speculation about Thardus and Sheegoth Prime is almost certainly spot on, though. Thardus seems like a logical choice for magmoor

Just to add, I've done a bit more digging into the Metroid Wiki site, and some clever person has had this idea before we did:

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Thardus#Trivia

In a 2010 interview with Mike Sneath, it was revealed that Thardus was originally slated to appear in "a large lava pit arena" in Metroid Prime, before it was changed to the Quarantine Cave in Phendrana Drifts, because of time constraints. This is supported somewhat by an animation video of Thardus that depicts the creature with having a fiery orange core, rather than a blue one.

Two rooms within the Magmoor Caverns, the Triclops Pit and Geothermal Core, are abnormally large and yet contain relatively little volume used for gameplay purposes. Either of these rooms may originally have been intended to contain Thardus, or the arena may have been removed from the game entirely.

That speculation makes sense to me. I remember during a playthrough thinking those rooms were rather unusually big for no reason.

I've done a scan around for any concept pieces or animation snippets that show Thardus in his original environment, no luck unfortunately.

The Boat

Amazing work, if there were more people doing research and digging around like you, gaming journalism would be much better. Kudos!

Johnas

Wow, I thought I had seen all your previous work, but it's obvious I missed some things.

It's funny, until now I had never really thought of Prime as lacking in anything, but after looking at all this cut content, and your speculations on each piece (which I fully agree with), it seems like it would have been so much richer.

Magmoor and Impact Crater being larger and with added content, each major area having a boss, Kraid being in the game, I never previously thought of as serious omissions, but I don't think I'll ever quite look at the game the same way now.

That is not to disrespect the game at all, I still revere it highly, but there literally nothing in that OP that would have seemed like too much, or out of place if it all had been included.

It's not only a testament to Retro's creativity, but also to how amazing the game still is.

Xav

If this game was made today people would be crying and saying nintendo owes them all the cut stuff.
There is a difference between cut content and completed stuff that is on the disc or ready for download on day 1.
Anyway fantastic thread Mama Robotnik, I can't wait to see more.

Fantastic thread (though you spelled Tallon wrong in the opening :p). I'm curious about that Mother Brain concept; what is there to tie it to the first game rather than the sequels? That Samus design used for scale in it wasn't around for the first game (it's also weird that it doesn't sport an arm cannon).

Another interesting tidbit from all this is the presence of the original Space Pirate design in action in Martin L'Heureux's showreel. The design is much more reminiscent of the Zebesian look from the earlier games, down to the claw cannons, and it can be seen in the instruction manual for the game, though the only hint of its existence in the game itself is some decaying body parts in a container in the Phendrana pirate base (there's a giant claw cannon among them, maybe there was an Elite Pirate design based off the older model at some point as well?).

Cranzor

Very nice work. I really love Retro's concept art. It's pretty amazing that they went from doing that type of art to the uplifting art of Donkey Kong Country Returns. I want to see them make a new Metroid for the Wii U.

Does anyone here prefer the GCN controls over the motion controls on the trilogy disk? I played through Metroid Prime with motion controls and I don't know which way I should play Metroid Prime 2.

Johnas

Does anyone here prefer the GCN controls over the motion controls on the trilogy disk? I played through Metroid Prime with motion controls and I don't know which way I should play Metroid Prime 2.

I'm in the minority that prefers the GC controls, myself. I just get tired of the Wii controls after a short while. Personal preference, not a knock against them.

Exeunt

Awesome thread like the last one; there are definitely some animations and pieces of art that I have never seen before in this bunch. I'm definitely looking forward to what else you can uncover.

That speculation makes sense to me. I remember during a playthrough thinking those rooms were rather unusually big for no reason.

I've done a scan around for any concept pieces or animation snippets that show Thardus in his original environment, no luck unfortunately.

That Magmoor speculation is quite intriguing, and if true, I like how they were able to turn both those rooms into something that is still fun and functional. My memory is a bit foggy at this point, but didn't the Triclops Pit even begin on an elevated level like Quarantine Chamber (or whatever Thardus' room was called) before dropping you off in the main room? I too must echo the sentiment of needing to replay Prime&#8230; Interesting to think that Thardus was possibly meant for Magmoor when his battle works so well in the snow in the final game.

Mama Robotnik, I also noticed while multi&#8209;quoting your post that the link in your tag extends all the way to the post information (i.e. Today, 6:00 PM). I can't say I've ever seen that before.

I think that the motion controls really make the Prime games a better experience, but at the same time when I replayed the first two after Prime 3 I was certainly able to adjust to the old controls. Having said that, I would definitely recommend the Wii controls for Prime 2; in my opinion Prime 2 is a transitional game that starts to push Prime's control scheme a little far in terms of combat. By that I mean that the game is a little combat&#8209;heavy for the lock&#8209;on controls and there is a certain powerup that works far better with Wii controls than on GCN. Prime was certainly designed around its controls, but I think Echoes pushed those controls a little too far at times. Starting Echoes on Wii also means you can begin with a lower difficulty level than was originally offered if you think the potential frustration of the game may be too much for you (and otherwise you can opt to ignore it). Of course I am somewhat biased in that I really longed for a Wii port of the original games after playing Prime 3, and don't really see myself returning to the GCN setup in the future, but that's my take on the matter.

Once again fantastic thread. I'm really looking forward to the next one, MP3 was my favorite and I'd love to see some of the behind the scenes info from the game.

KevinCow

Banned
I wonder how they were gonna have you fight Thardus in Magmoor. It must have been completely different, seeing how the Thermal Visor completely shits itself in Magmoor.

Also, on this:

livingchozo9auuq.gif

I love how bird-like its movements are. Great attention to detail. It makes me want to see a game where the Chozo aren't extinct.

AColdDay

That Mother Brain concept image is absolutely terrifying. I would have loved to see that fully fleshed out in the game. Awesome digging, Mama Robotnik!

The first thing that crossed my mind was how scary that concept was. Jesus, Retro had (has?) such kickass artists.

The OP has been updated with more content that I just discovered, including some more animations, images and other stuff that I think is pretty interesting.

I've also discovered something that has (personally) blown my mind a bit for the next thread, will try and have it up later.

Junie12

This thread is making me want to play MP again.

It's been so long since I last played it, and I've forgot the majority of the story. But this thread bought back some fond memories of the game. Thanks for sharing OP!

Rezbit

That's amazing Mama, you really are a legendary poster.

A pirate using a metroid as a jet pack?

Now i've seen everything.

What a brilliant design. Such a shame this enemy couldn't make it into the game.

Holy shit, Chozo Suit Ridley o_O

Again a brilliant design. Just goes to show how much of a fine line it must be between ensuring you put out the best game and meeting a reasonable deadline. So much of this content looks like it could have stayed.

It kinda reminds me that Magmoor Caverns really did need a boss (even though it was mostly just a through-way).

It kinda reminds me that Magmoor Caverns really did need a boss (even though it was mostly just a through-way).

It's actually strange that, even without its boss, Magmoor might be my favourite location in the game. The music, the thrill of leaping over lava and the atmosphere that the place could overflow with lava at any moment, is amazing!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm in the minority that prefers the GC controls, myself. I just get tired of the Wii controls after a short while. Personal preference, not a knock against them.

I also prefer the GC controls. So much so that I'm probably going to pawn off the Trilogy and rebuy the original versions. I liked that the lock-on just snapped your aim to a target -- there's no real need for aiming. Switching weapons/visors also felt a lot better. Minor things, sure, but they add up. And apart from that, the Trilogy's missing various visual effects. Oh well...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love the design of that jetpack on the space pirate a LOT. the idea of using a captive metroid's abilities for flight is so questionable where eco-ethics are concerned that it fits right in with the space pirate modus operandi. i kind of wish that had been kept in.

m.robotnik, this is spectacular work, and makes me long for more quality metroid.

Dyno

Great thread!

Makes me think how much better games would be if they got the time and investment they needed to keep all of their good ideas in.

Gunpei

Apparently, Retro wasn't interested in just exceeding expectations with this game.

Amazing thread, btw. The possible inclusion of Mother Brain alone gives me the chills. It would have haunted my dreams for years.

ced

Retro is awesome, wish they were not locked to Nintendo.

This reminds me I never beat the last boss in MP.

izakq

Damn, Mama Robotnik, you're on a roll. Fantastic work.

Kraid noooo! I would've kindly waited a little bit more for Kraid to be included. So many ideas.

In typical fashion, I've discovered more things after the fact. The OP now also contains:

-Early concepts for Samus' suit, gun, beam upgrades (Crocomire!) and the appearance of Tallon IV.

-A higher quality image of one of the Ridley designs.

-The Space Pirate organic weapon designs.

-An early opening animation.

-Animation from the alternate Parasite Queen battle.

-A fantastic concept piece of what may be a living warrior Chozo (or something wearing its battle armour).

Nnqn6.jpg

The OP also includes links to the Metroid 1.5, 2 Remake, 2 Echoes, 3 Corruption, Hunters and "Toon Metroid" threads.

A bump to add the following new discoveries:

Very Very Early Title Screen and Menu Themes

EP2Yn2H.jpg

oGngWQQ.jpg

AUQ2LBc.jpg

NfCfqca.jpg

FvdqXI7.jpg

SNa3B9Z.jpg

(Source: Bernardette Lacarte)

These images represent some of the earliest concepts I've ever seen from Metroid Prime. I'd guess they were throwing out lots of different ideas of the game's "look".

Alternate UI

ZOVvU9d.jpg

G1vBj8T.jpg

2PoC2En.jpg

Alternate station landling pad

XD5WApd.jpg

The station Samus lands at during the opening sequence, was dramatically changed in development.

Nintendo of America unused Promotional Logos

sCqmVvp.jpg

(Source: Tim Garet)

N.O.A were focus testing the above logos to promote the game. The ones with ticks next to them were approved by focus groups. In the end, none of these were used.

All this just makes me wish so much harder for a new Metroid game.

Those menus are so cool, get a real steampunk feel from them.

HoJu

were those early shots running on N64? jesus. and nice finds, mama.
It's too bad we'll never see this type of stuff for SMG, MM, or other classic Nintendo games...

Guevara

I'm glad we got the existing title screen, which is the best in gaming.

Still it's cool to see what might have been (I sort of like the alternate logos).

Top Bottom