• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Lol, 360 owners might be experiencing shellshock upon opening this game.
I'm just delighted 360 owners are buying it. I hope the word spreads that CDProjekt have not only made a great game but delivered one of the most thorough and attentive console ports of this or any other generation. They deserve every sale and more.

I worry the carry weight limit is going to become a pain, so far I have picked up everything I can (in Flotsam now) is this a bad idea?
I don't even know if I need to carry all of the crafting gear with me at all times but you never know when it might be useful.
Crafting items would be the first thing I'd stop carrying. Wood and cloth are plentiful around towns when you need them. Ore is always in caves. Plus they can all be bought at shops if you don't want to venture out, and get restocked every day, which you can meditate to speed along.

So either don't pick them up yet or stash them in storage. Since you have to have a merchant craft things for you, you're never gonna suddenly need to craft something on the spot.

Naito

Has anyone completed Lilies and Vipers on Act III?
(Roche's side, after saving Brigida)
I can't somehow get the right combination to check the authenticity of the fake letter

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That sounds fucking great. I really do hope that makes its way to PC.

I asked this earlier before most 360 users picked up their game let me ask again.

On PC if you use a 360 controller you hold the L trigger to pull up a menu that lets you select between your spells and quickslotted items. I'm assuming this is the same on the 360 version.

When you pull the trigger it always has the center option selected first, meditate. And then to select a spell for example you have to press to the left and then up and down the spell list.

My question is this... on the PC version when you bring up that menu and let's say you want to select a spell you have to press left TWICE to get over into the spell list, the first press doesn't register. Do you have to press left twice on the 360 version or does the first press register?

It's the same with picking a quickslotted item, to get from meditate to their list it takes two presses to the right, the first press doesn't register at all.

Very minor but very annoying.

Controller layout has altered a bit on Console.

-Left Bumper now pulls up the same menu(spells, meditation, etc...); Biggest difference is that you no longer need to push Left->then up/down to highlight requisite spell. Now you just literally move the analog stick freely to choose any of the 5 spells directly! Soooo much more comfy. It's like the weapon wheel selection in a game such as Resistance.

-Left Trigger is now lock-on. You hold it down to maintain lock on a target; camera locks onto target and combat basically plays out as if you were Z-targeting in Zelda. Circle-strafe, etc... Let go of trigger and the camera goes free-roam once again. Did not check if targetting can be set to toggle versus Hold(default). I imagine it can, but I'll check later. Toggle would help maintain lock while shifting spells/items.

-Right trigger is block, parry, riposte. No real change here.

-Right Bumper is item use.

-Y is magic, B is roll, A/X are light/heavy attack.

This scheme really should come to PC EE at some point. It's vastly more comfortable.

mjc

I actually cancelled my Dark Edition preorder on Amazon last week and changed it to the standard version. I don't need the art book for an extra $50. It looks neat though I bet!

Pathetically I own Witcher and Witcher 2 on Steam and have a kick ass PC. Still bought the 360 version. Do I really need to play Witcher 1 first before this or can I skip it?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I actually cancelled my Dark Edition preorder on Amazon last week and changed it to the standard version. I don't need the art book for an extra $50. It looks neat though I bet!

Art book is pretty impressive...for an artbook. But yea, it's an artbook.

Slair

Pathetically I own Witcher and Witcher 2 on Steam and have a kick ass PC. Still bought the 360 version. Do I really need to play Witcher 1 first before this or can I skip it?

You dont NEED to, but i think playing the first helps you appreciate the world more. Also it's got a great story, that, if it's not already spoiled for you, should be experienced.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
-Left Trigger is now lock-on. You hold it down to maintain lock on a target; camera locks onto target and combat basically plays out as if you were Z-targeting in Zelda. Circle-strafe, etc... Let go of trigger and the camera goes free-roam once again. Did not check if targetting can be set to toggle versus Hold(default). I imagine it can, but I'll check later. Toggle would help maintain lock while shifting spells/items.

Damn, this sounds great. Targeting isn't a major issue for me since I play with a mouse, but I would definitely switch to a pad for this stuff.

They're self contained enough that you can skip it. They're also self contained enough that Witcher 2 won't spoil Witcher 1's main story so you could go back to it later.

-Left Bumper now pulls up the same menu(spells, meditation, etc...); Biggest difference is that you no longer need to push Left->then up/down to highlight requisite spell. Now you just literally move the analog stick freely to choose any of the 5 spells directly! Soooo much more comfy. It's like the weapon wheel selection in a game such as Resistance.

This scheme really should come to PC EE at some point. It's vastly more comfortable.

UUGGH!!!

Yeah, I really hope they port that over. At least they could have fixed the damn spell wheel after all this time >=(

Justin

Playing the Xbox version for the first time and just got up to the first town. I am blown away by the production value of every part of this game from the graphics and sound to the manual and quest guide. Amazing package in every way and a very epic intro.

Eusis

It's why I stuck with the standard version for PC, I figured I'd just buy it on sale on GOG sometime and get the artbook PDF that way. Instead they straight up offered a free copy to everyone who already owned it, so I got to eat my cake and have it too! And early enough to have both the standard and EE versions of the artbook too.

owlbeak

Act II Spoiler ahead:
I was digging around in the caverns beneath Vergen and found a silver sword called the Blood Sword (34-38dmg, bleeding +50%, 3 enhancement slots).
I never found that the first playthrough. Great stats for a silver sword at this point in the game! :) Would have made my life easier on my first run Haha.

Edit: Also, question for you guys who got (and opened) the Dark Edition - what's the quality like on the wolf medallion? Could you post a pic? I really want to get the DE, I'm just waiting for some more to become available and was pumped for the medallion. :) Would like to know how it is.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So what the hell, I just got a full system crash watching the intro on PC? Anybody else getting this?

I've had several full system reboots/crashes ( had 0 crashes in tw2 vanilla ), no solution yet, trying to redownload it all and reinstall.

2AdEPT

My only gripe so far. Seems extremely sensitive, especially when fine tuning bombs and such.
THere is a small side quest in act 1 where you compete with ves in knife throwing...its really tough to aim and hit the targets....seems to be worht the effort though as you improve your knife throwing ability by doing so.

I must ask though I had a section where I went into "stealth" mode is there a way I can actively decide I wanna be in stealth mode? Sneaking up and beating guards down was a good time, would like to be able to do that at will.

Yeah not really, I mean I do not think so.......but every time it is useful it does it for you...taking your weapon out around town scares people and aggros guards so I don't know for sure, but pretty sure you can't enter that mode without at least drawing your weapon. Can someone confirm if EVERY time you draw your weapon with no enemies engaged that you enter stealth mode?

I worry the carry weight limit is going to become a pain, so far I have picked up everything I can (in Flotsam now) is this a bad idea?
I don't even know if I need to carry all of the crafting gear with me at all times but you never know when it might be useful.

Alothough you do get 1 storage container in each location in act 1 and 2, the act location changes on you without notice and you obvioulsy can not go back without loading previous saves in order to loot your storage in order to take it wth you. Especially on Dark difficulty, where you have ot make the slightly better armour and weapons you get yourself by giving diagrams to vendors, it actually is important to get as much raw material as possible as although you can buy it, it costs so friggin much that it is way better if you can find it yourself.

Tokubetsu

Doing a dark mode playthrough finally. Died in the prologue thanks to dragon fire and had Release week flashbacks. Goodtimes.

Seriously. I hate to be stubborn or ignorant or whatever. But I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can find Iorveth > Roche.

Nobody balls as hard as Roche. He's got that T.E. Lawrence arab-scarf swag. If a bridge collapses he just says "fuck it" and proceeds to kick ass.

gdt

Anger rising.....

That fucking wheel kills me every time I bring it up.

Moaradin

Seriously. I hate to be stubborn or ignorant or whatever. But I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can find Iorveth > Roche.

Nobody balls as hard as Roche. He's got that T.E. Lawrence arab-scarf swag. If a bridge collapses he just says "fuck it" and proceeds to kick ass.

The
Iorveth
path is just plain better. Perhaps not the character, but the overall package is better.

gdt

Got everything working, and I said fuck it so I'm playing the game in Dark Mode this time. Hard so far, but you just need strategy is all.

Zeliard

Iorveth is chummy with Zoltan

Your argument is invalid

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm just delighted 360 owners are buying it. I hope the word spreads that CDProjekt have not only made a great game but delivered one of the most thorough and attentive console ports of this or any other generation. They deserve every sale and more.

This is all well and good, but:

1. How many romance options are there for bisexual elves?
2. What does Triss' sweat smell like?
3. How many hours ON AVERAGE would you say you spent pacing around your apartment trying to make decisions?

Solo

This is all well and good, but:

1. How many romance options are there for bisexual elves?
2. What does Triss' sweat smell like?
3. How many hours ON AVERAGE would you say you spent pacing around your apartment trying to make decisions?

2. Heaven and Fisstech.

Game comes out here tomorrow finally, picking up the Xbox 360 version!

Excited to play it, I'm not a PC gamer so I only learned of the game at all because of GAF hype last year heh.

Story sounds like something I'll be into, just hopefully the gameplay sticks for me.

statham

is it me, or have they really improved performance. my 460gtx already plays this game great @900p I can now turn on far and normal textures for the same framerate. even high textures run great, and even uber runs choppy but isnt a slide show.

Wizman23

Banned
PC gaming/Steam noob here. Just built my rig a few months ago after being a console gamer for 25 years. My dumb question for the day is when the hell did the 10 GB update download? I keep my PC off except for when I'm on it. I fired it up when I got home today and went into Steam and it says Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition. The only download Steam mentions is a TF2 update. So do I even have the new version? If so when did this download?

I'm about to go trade-in some games (I know, I'm a corporate whore and part of the problem) to get this. This is basically my last ditch effort to get my enthusiasm for gaming back. For some reason I've just been in a slump where I don't want to play anything, or even read news anymore. I picked up my 360 controller yesterday, and it actually had a layer of dust on it. :s

So what's the consensus on the 360 version so far? Amazing?

Same here man. I have a few new games that are collecting dust. Some are good but I still don't have the motivation to play or they are games I bought day one and didn't live up to my low expectations*cough Mass Effect 3*cough*.

Luckily I was able to get the last rental copy. Local Blockbuster lady stated that everyone that called about a game was calling about TW2. After playing it for a few hours I am convinced I need to purchase the game. Great game and I would love to support CDPR for having the balls to release a mature themed good game.

injurai

Banned
PC gaming/Steam noob here. Just built my rig a few months ago after being a console gamer for 25 years. My dumb question for the day is when the hell did the 10 GB update download? I keep my PC off except for when I'm on it. I fired it up when I got home today and went into Steam and it says Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition. The only download Steam mentions is a TF2 update. So do I even have the new version? If so when did this download?

Same thing for me. I remember the Witcher 2 v 2.0 update and all previous updates to the game were updated through the Witcher's own launcher. But that didn't even happen for me. I launched the game and it repaired some .NET framework and then I was off playing after that.

DaBuddaDa

I think there was a pre-load period this last week? It could have downloaded a few days ago.

Top Bottom