• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

You know what really confuses me. Most of the elements in those backgrounds look digital, so... how is it NOT consistent? That's like the main point of using CG backgrounds.

They look like stalls WITH NO DOOR.

The guy who designed this bathroom must be preparing for an invasion by that chick from Neverwhere.

I think the bathroom was designed as some sort of impossible to solve puzzle to be used in bizarre social experiments. How people interact with the bathroom will reflect upon their society.

wonzo

Banned
This is the best arguments for CG setpieces/backgrounds I've ever seen. I'm gonna end up watching yet another bad show aren't I?

duckroll

From left to right: stall, another sink that can be seen in one of the other shots, and a locker.

Yes but compare the "stall" image with the stalls shown in the wide shot. The proportions of the stall "wall" or whatever it is doesn't match up at all. Same with the height of that other sink without a mirror. Everything is completely different.

NewFresh

Further proof that the Toilet is not flush with the wall!

bZLCF.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yes but compare the "stall" image with the stalls shown in the wide shot. The proportions of the stall "wall" or whatever it is doesn't match up at all. Same with the height of that other sink without a mirror. Everything is completely different.
Oh. Yeah. They show it closer too and it changes again.
This new toilet placement confuses me too.
Edit: Beaten on it but you get the point.

Branduil

Wait, let's go back to this shot:

So now that it's established that his back points to another stall... why is it double-walled? What is the purpose of having a tiny empty space between two adjacent stalls?

duckroll

Let's take a look at this shot again:

Notice how the dividers for the last two stalls are significantly thinner than the first two stalls? Why? What's going on? That's not how distance perspective works either. The way depth is perceived is all wrong!

Defuser

Speaking of Accel World, but on a lighter subject. I watched episode one and two recently and even though the show isn't terrible, something really bugged me about it. Well, besides the main characters design; however it's related.

In one scene we see our MC in the bathroom washing his hands. Nothing too weird, but when you look at the position of the sinks, they are perfectly suited to his height. This wouldn't seem off if not for every other character being roughly twice his height.
rPWyL.jpg

So this means that everyone has to reach down to about their knees to wash their hands...

#nitpick
Pretty sure it not only bathroom sinks that has the problem.
Character height is inconsistent too.

Medaka Box 03

The only thing this has going on for it are Medaka's boobs. There's nothing in this episode that wasn't covered in the two before it, and all of the jokes are the same old trite anime has been plagued with since last decade.

Medaka Box is like watching a snuff film of one of your childhood role models, probably involving asphyxiation and fecal matter. Oh, poor poor GAINAX. I shall miss you, even if I do not wish for your resurrection.

I thought you dropped this already?

Branduil

Let's take a look at this shot again:

Notice how the dividers for the last two stalls are significantly thinner than the first two stalls? Why? What's going on? That's not how distance perspective works either. The way depth is perceived is all wrong!

The second one is thickest for some reason.

And the bottom lines of the stall walls are messed up too.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 02
D59iF.jpg

The tone of this show is completely off-putting to me. It presents itself on every level as a creepy/dramatic ghost show, but then at the last second it pulls back this veil and is like, "Psyche! This is a comedy, hahahahahahahaha." Scenes play out with what appears to be a very specific dramatic intent but always end on these flat jokes that feel completely out of place.
You've got it backwards -- Tasogare is a comedy on top of a drama, that is. Or maybe it'd be better to say that it's a drama with a lot of comedy in it? A drama with a character (Yuuko) who'd rather make jokes than fully face her past? Something like that.

That IS what the series is like in the manga too, though -- it repeatedly goes back and forth between drama and comedy. I think it works, but I can see how other people would disagree.

Visually this show is also all over the place. There are weird techniques like black bars filling the screen disproportionally to cut out the background, but there is no clear reason for the effect to be used in the context of the shot. There are all sorts of visual effects and cuts that show up, and sometimes they're kind of cool, but they rarely have any place and they mostly just wind up feeling experimental. Even the ones that do work, like the quick cuts being transitioned by the ghost passing in front of the camera wind up feeling overdone and amateurish.
I'll agree that the visuals aren't quite as slick as Shaft's despite having some similarities in style, but I do think that they work overall. It is a nice-looking episode on the whole.

So I'm not really sure what this show is trying to be on multiple fronts, and the only thing that seems to come across is the ghost sexualization, which isn't even handled uniquely enough to warrant the ghost aspect. At least the girl is likeable I guess.
I do think that Yuuko is a good character, and that does help the series a lot, yeah. I mean, it focuses on her so much that she better be... fortunately she is.

iammeiam

So I just finished episode 13 of Dennou Coil (
Plesiosaur episode
) and am all heartbroken.

Then I read through a bunch of serious bathroom perspective discussion, and I now feel much better. Never change, AnimeGAF.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You've got it backwards -- Tasogare is a comedy on top of a drama, that is. Or maybe it'd be better to say that it's a drama with a lot of comedy in it? A drama with a character (Yuuko) who'd rather make jokes than fully face her past? Something like that.
I would agree with the assessment that it's a comedy from what I've seen so far, but the build up to the punch lines is drama and the punch line itself is often the contrast with the dramatic or creepy elements. For me at least it winds up not really delivering on either end.

wonzo

Banned
Ignoring how the toilet both does and doesn't line up with the wall at the same time. Notice how in this shot the top of the toilet doesn't line up with the blue lines on the wall:

And yet in this one it does:

Clearly this is the work of a technically advanced shape-shifting toilet. I'd expect nothing less from the glorious nation of Nippon.

duckroll

On the subject of CG backgrounds though, I think Fate/Zero Ep4-5 is a good example of something which would be very hard to achieve with 2D backgrounds. A lot of attention was paid to the surrounding area in general, and what they did was to create a full 3D layout of the entire background in CG, and as the fight in ep4 progressed they tracked the positions of the characters as they moved and all destruction and debris in the environment is accurately reflected on the backgrounds, and they stay consistent for the entire duration of both episodes.

Clearly this is the work of a technically advanced shape-shifting toilet. I'd expect nothing less from the glorious nation of Nippon.

Maybe, there is a deeper meaning behind the toilet scene.

The "real world" is not the reality but just a layer of the internet world like in Matrix.

iammeiam

Ignoring how the toilet both does and doesn't line up with the wall at the same time. Notice how in this shot the top of the toilet doesn't line up with the blue lines on the wall:

Is the floor in the stall slanted? Check out the differences in height between the floor and the green stripe at the bottom of the wall. Maybe the whole bathroom is a giant Mystery Spot.

cajunator

Banned
Pretty sure it not only bathroom sinks that has the problem.

Character height is inconsistent too.

Wow she's cute. Whoever that is.

I don't normally nitpick background art, but this is pretty bad yeah. The toilet placement is laughably inconsistent. not just nitpickingly so but glaringly so.

wonzo

Banned
Maybe, there is a deeper meaning behind the toilet scene.

The "real world" is not the reality but just a layer of the internet world like in Matrix.
Is the floor in the stall slanted? Check out the differences in height between the floor and the green stripe at the bottom of the wall. Maybe the whole bathroom is a giant Mystery Spot.
vettie.gif

I think I gotta see Accel World just to find out how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom