• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf 2012 Backlog Blitz - Where we give the middle finger to Steam sales

zkylon

zkylewd
New month, recount.

Bought: -9 (oh dear)
Payday: The Heist
RealMyst
Riven
Stacking
---- Indie Royale ----
Hard Reset
Jolly Rover
Vertex Dispenser
DLC Quest
Lair of the Evildoer
---- Indie Royale ----

Beat: +6
Shank (meh singleplayer, liked coop)
Dinner Date (disliked)
Samorost 2 (disliked)
Rochard (meh)
A.R.E.S. Extintion Agenda (disliked)
ME2: DLC (liked Lair of the Shadow Broker, meh Operation Overlord, disliked The Arrival)

Beat a bunch of short games while waiting for my new PC parts to arrive and I did NOT have fun with them, but at least they're out of the way.

Good thing I got the new PC set up and I could manage to replay ME2 to prepare for ME3 (and I enjoyed ME2 a lot more than the first time, probably because I don't have any recent ME1 experience) and I've been enjoying Payday: The Heist tremendously.

So score this month is -3, not counting Kickstarter (W2 and DFA), adding up to -4 this year. Better than I thought.

ghibli99

Lists updated. +6 and holding.

Bought Kid Icarus Uprising when BB had it on sale last week. Couldn't resist, although I should have.

Sold my copy of P3 FES... just don't see myself playing through P3 again anytime soon, if ever, and if I do, it'll be the girl's side of P3P. Decided to just read the synopsis for the extra story at the end. Got it. :)

DKC has been great, but man, it's tough! Lots of memorization, and crazy hand/eye coordination and reaction time. Good stuff, though!

Also started Donkey Kong on the GBC. Where has this game been all my life? LOL So enjoyable!

Brashnir

Another -1 for me - Pinball Arcade. Looking at the XBLA titles coming down the pipe, I expect I'll be taking a few more negatives shortly.

Bought in 2012 - 10
Rayman:Origins
Gears of War 3
Batman: Arkham City
Zen Pinball 3D
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
De Blob 2
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Adventures of Tintin
Pinball Arcade

Finished in 2012 - 22
Batman:Arkham City
Batman:Arkham Asylum
Gears of War 3
Prince of Persia:The Forgotten Sands
Alan Wake
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
Fable 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Meat Boy
Mech Commander 2
Zen Pinball 3D
Chrono Trigger
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Elefunk
Back to the Future: Episode 3: Citizen Brown
Back to the Future: Episode 4: Double Visions
Back to the Future: Episode 5: Outatime
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Adventures of Tintin

Overall Score: +12

ghibli99

Nice! I decided to go for the 101% in DKC, even though I'm pretty close to the end of the main game. This will definitely slow down my progress, but there's a part of me that hates not getting/seeing everything in Nintendo games.

kyubajin

Update to backlog

Beaten in March/April: 3

• Alice: Madness Returns
I loved this game. Levels did tend to drag on a bit too much but the overall presentation, creativity and game mechanics made it very worthwhile. Like many before me, I absolutely loved all about Chapter 4. It's a pity that it doesn't seem likely that Spicy Horse will develop Alice 3.

• Assassin's Creed II
I played this game non-stop almost a year ago when suddenly switched to others and thanks to Easter holiday I've finally completed it. Desmond himself couldn't say it better about how I felt about the ending :D I just got Brotherhood cause I'm really into the series yet again.

• RAGE
I really don't see how some minor technical problems, as in I started to not care, could tarnish this amazing game. I agree about the ending being the worst cold shower ever but man, what a brilliant ride it was.

Purchased in March/April: 3
Neverwinter Nights 2 (Mac)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS3)
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Mac)

Total score 2012: -9

Currently Playing:
Radiant Historia (DS)
Portal 2 (PS3)
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Mac)

End of Feb. update.

Bought: 12
Beaten: 5
Score: -7

And about a month later. Only played one game! (Busy time of year with end of semester.)

Bought: 16
Beaten: 6
Score: -10

Bought:

Mass Effect 3 (360 pre-order from last year's Future Shop sale)
Jolly Rover (Steam gift from a friend)
Deus Ex: Invisible War (Steam sale)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Steam sale)

Beaten:

Bastion (360, ~11 hours) - Starts out a bit slow, but once it picks up the pace, it's a surprisingly fun and engaging (and substantial in terms of content) game. The optional content is where it really shines at first (proving grounds and combat arenas are a good gameplay workout compared to some of the more simplistic early story missions) but eventually the main quest opens up with the weapon variety, more challenging missions, and some potent gameplay/narrative twists (I loved the mission that takes place over seven days). Nice graphics, lovely music. Nothing really to add, I guess; I was a bit late to the party and found it was worth the hype.

Thores

Q1 Update

Been slacking on making individual updates, so this post is pretty much just a slightly modified copy-paste of my constantly edited original post. Hoping to do monthly updates after this that feel more specific and have more in-depth impressions.

Bought in January-March 2012: -3
Beaten in January-March 2012: +7
Current Score: +4

Bought:

Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP - Saw it on a few GotY 2011 lists, figured why not.

Catherine (PS3) - Valentines Day sale!

Monster Tale - Kept promising myself I'd buy this to support the Henry Hatsworth guys but it got drowned in other March releases. Finally committed to that and picked it up when I bought Catherine.

Beaten:

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - I don't really wanna say that everything about Skyward Sword was amazing. A better way to put it would be that pretty much every element of the game was a pleasant surprise. There were a couple things that did suck, but almost everything sucked less than I thought it would. Either way, it's tied with Link to the Past for my 2nd favorite Zelda game.

Sonic Generations (PC) - It started out really impressive, but as I got farther in the game it felt like it was getting sloppier in design and I was having less fun. This culminated in a kind of crappy final boss. Still the best Sonic game I've played in years though, and I feel like both the fanservice-tastic soundtrack and the suprisingly likable Saturday Morning Cartoon style cutscenes in particular deserve a shout-out. Definitely worth the $15.

Blazblue: Calamity Trigger (PSP) - Finished all the Story Mode stuff, beat the True Ending. Love the gameplay but man the story sure is Japan Weird. I will probably get Continuum Shift Extend sometime this year so I can play this online and use the new characters.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team - Beat the main story, got me some ending credits. I'm sure there's a lot of postgame stuff to do. The sequel, which I beat first, was a good deal better, but the core gameplay is great in any scenario.

Bully: Scholarship Edition (PC) - Bought this during a Steam sale last year, saw it on the Re-GOTY 2008 thread a few times and decided to give it a shot. It was pretty cute and I had fun with it. I really liked the "taking classes to level up attributes" system. A lot of other things about it are more of a skeleton for what could be an amazing school parody simulator. Hope one day we get a Bully 2 that delivers on those concepts.

Monster Tale - I love the Henry Hatsworth guys. I don't think they executed as well on the concept this time, but it's still a great enough concept and aesthetic that I'll put up with some sloppy design choices.

The Binding of Isaac- This was a lot more fun than I expected. But about as hard. Also, about as gross.

On The Horizon:

My Bought count is probably going to increase by at least two next week, when I buy Skullgirls and my Xenoblade Chronicles preorder (hopefully) arrives in the mail. I'll still be in the positive despite this, but I kinda wanna get another notch or two under my belt before the time comes. Right now I'm eyeing Chrono Cross and Advance Wars: Dual Strike, and I've made some progress in both. Though I guess not so much that beating either in less than a week isn't potentially a bit overambitious.

ghibli99

-1 due to Xenoblade Chronicles. Will probably take another -1 next week when Skullgirls comes out (if I end up liking it).

vall03

Not a good month for March and April, out of the all these games, only Tales of Graces f and Atelier Rorona were on my planned list, the rest are impulse purchases except for Metal Torrent which I got for free from Club Nintendo. Mario Kart 7 and Black Ops (Wii) was from my sister who asked my dad to buy it for her, we equally share games so I counted it on my backlog. For the games I finished, I played The Mirror Lied and Digital since I accidentally saw their installers when I was looking for a file on my pc. I consider Mario Kart 7 an arcade game with no end so I marked it as 'Null'. Oath in Felghana Steam was my 3rd playthrough already so I considered it finished. Devil Survivor 2 took me a while to finish, and lastly, CoD as always have a short campaign, if not for my sister, I could've finished it in one sitting. Infinity Blade and Metal Torrent are fun and short games.

Purchased
Mar: -7
Tales of Graces f
Adventure Bar Story
Mario Kart 7
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
The Bard's Tale

Apr: -2
Infinity Blade
Metal Torrent

Finished
Mar: +6
The Mirror Lied
Digital: A Love Story
Mario Kart 7
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops

Apr: +2
Infinity Blade
Metal Torrent

Currently Playing: Im supposed to be playing Tales of Graces f but I can't use the tv because of my dad. Even with my backlog, I can't seem to start on anything else. Im now thinking between Innocent Sin or Skyrim, whichever I start I suppose...

Jan: +6
Feb: +6
Mar: -1
Apr: 0
Total Points: +11

http://www.backloggery.com/vall03

Arukado

Updated 04/23/2012

Purchased in 2012: -11
Ridge Racer Type 4
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Ace Combat Joint Assault
Infamous Festival Of Blood
Wipeout 2048
Motorstorm RC
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Sonic Generations
Front Mission 3
Legend Of Grimrock

Beaten in 2012: +12
Infamous Festival Of Blood
Sonic 4 Episode I (pc)
Wipeout Pulse + 4 DLC
Ridge Racer Type 4
Ace Combat Joint Assault
Wipeout 2048
Motorstorm RC
Mass Effect 2
Sonic 4 Episode I (android)
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic Generations
Uncharted Golden Abyss

Total: +1 :)

Currently Playing:
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Resonance Of Fate
Legend Of Grimrock

On Hold: (I'll keep playing them when the time comes)
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Oblivion GOTY
Child Of Eden

Update:

Bought in 2012: -3

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC)
Red Faction: Armageddon (PC)
Payday: The Heist (PC)

Finished in 2012: +11

Bastion (PC)
Hydrophobia: Prophecy (PC)
Resident Evil 5 (PC)
Trine (PC)
Zeno Clash (PC)
Braid (PC)
Metro 2033 (PC)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC)
Halo: Reach (360)
Red Faction: Armageddon (PC)
Red Dead Redemption (360)

Total: +8

Brief holiday update today.

Purchased: -10
Jan 2012 - March 2012
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Soulcalibur V
BlazBlue Continuium Shift Extend
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Vita
SSX
Street Fighter x Tekken
Mass Effect 3
Tales of Graces f

April 2012
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

Finished: +4
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Assassin's Creed

Current Score: -6

Currently Playing:
Assassin's Creed II
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

Bebpo

Banned
Two more buys, two more clears, hehe. Zero progress is better than negative progress!

Bought in 2012:
1. Castlevania LoS
2. Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing
3. Ghost Trick iOS
4. Gundam G Generation World
5. Beyond the Labyrinth
6. Resident Evil: Revelations
7. Super Robot Wars: OG Saga Lord of Elemental II
8. Professor Layton 5
9. Gundam The 3d Battle
10. Tales of Innocence R
11. Uncharted Golden Abyss
12. Hot Shots Golf 6
13. Wipeout 2048
14. Little Deviants
15. Super Stardust Delta + DLC pack
16. Escape Plan
17. Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND
18. Twisted Metal
19. Lumines Electric Symphony
20. Touch my Katamari
21. Good People Die
22. Tales from Space: Mutant Blob Attacks
23. SSX
24. One Piece Kaizoku Musou
25. Journey
26. Silent Hill Downpour
27. Wizorb
28. Warriors Orochi 3
29. Kid Icarus Uprising
30. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
31. Super Robot Wars Z2 Saisei-Hen

Cleared in 2012:
1. Dead Space Extraction
2. Uncharted 3
3. Rock of Ages
4. Orcs Must Die
5. Saints Row The Third
6. Outland
7. Final Fantasy Type 0
8. Renegade Ops
9. RAGE
10. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
11. Touch my Katamari
12. Professor Layton 4
13. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
14. Escape Plan
15. Journey
16. Assassin's Creed Revelations
17. SD Gundam G Generation World
18. Silent Hill Downpour
19. Edna and Harvey: The Breakout
20. Back to the Future Ep3: Citizen Brown

Total for 2012 = -11

As I catch up on some of these short telltale eps I might actually make it under -10! Also, almost done buying games for the year so that'll let me cut down my backlog real quick. Only games I'm planning to buy between now and the fall stuff are Fire Emblem 3DS and Guild 01.

ghibli99

Updated.

Finished DKC1 last night (101%). Great game, really tough at times, can't wait to play the other games in the series now!

Final
post-credit
case in Phoenix Wright 1. So good. Lots of reading in this game, my goodness... I had to move my cartridge to my XL so that it'd be easier on my eyes.

Ledsen

Backloggery

Bought in 2012: -24
Beat in 2012: 11
Current Score: -13

Bought

• Zelda: Spirit Tracks (NDS)
  • Alpha Protocol (PC)
  • DoDonPachi Resurrection (360)
  • Rayman Origins (360)
  • Shadows of the Damned (360)
  • Crysis 2 (PC)
  • Risen (PC)
  • Clive Barker's Undying (PC)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
  • Wolfenstein 2009 (PC)
  • Rage (PC)
  • Red Faction: Armageddon (PC)
  • World in Conflict (PC)
  • Dragon Quest: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (NDS)
  • Blue Dragon (360)
  • Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC)
  • Batman: Arkham City (PC)
  • Ultima Underworld (PC)
  • Ultima Underworld 2 (PC)
  • Might & Magic 4+5
  • Might & Magic 6
  • Might & Magic 7
  • Might & Magic 8
  • Legend of Grimrock

Re-buys or games I don't intend on playing (these don't count)

• Alan Wake (PC)
  • Tomb Raider Legend (PC)
  • Tomb Raider Anniversary (PC)
  • Tomb Raider Underworld (PC)
  • Mirror's Edge (PC)
  • Metro 2033 (PC)
  • Might & Magic 1
  • Might & Magic 2
  • Might & Magic 3

Beaten

• Goldeneye Wii
  • Renegade Ops
  • Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
  • Shadows of the Damned $
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Space Marine
  • Puzzle Agent 2
  • Sonic Generations
  • RAGE $
  • Shank
  • Duke Nukem Forever

$ - indicates game purchased in 2012

And about a month later.

Bought: 16
Score: -10

The semester is over. Time to get to work on the backlog in earnest. But, first, more purchases.

Bought: 20
Score: -14

Bought:

Gotham City Impostors (PC)
KOF Sky Stage (XBLA deal of the week)
Deathsmiles II X (360 Games on Demand)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (360 Games on Demand)

Okay, seriously, have to stop buying games now.

Brashnir

Another +1/-1. I bought Hack Slash Loot last week on Steam, and have spent much of the week playing it. The game has a way of eating up hours once you start it up. I thought I had played for maybe 7 or 8 hours, but when I checked the Steam clock, I had played twice that.

The game is a roguelike that really has the feel of an old DOS game. The goal of the game is to pick a character and complete 5 levels of a dungeon. There are a total of 6 dungeons in the game, and while there are 6 characters to choose from to start out, I believe there's a total of 32 which can be unlocked.

The game is very challenging to start out, in typical roguelike fashion. I died 38 times before finally finishing a dungeon. As you play, you'll eventually begin to find relic items, which once looted, have a chance to be given to your character each time you start a new game. These definitely make things easier in subsequent runs, but are not exactly easy to come by. They're even easy to miss completely, since you have to actually pick the item up to know it's a relic, so you might not pick it up if it's not something that's suited to your current character. (say you're playing an archer and a sword drops)

There is also a significant element of luck to the game. One starting character (the Amazon) starts with a divine weapon, which can increase your stats (including HP) each time you kill an enemy with it. Having this weapon (or any divine or necrotic weapon) early on makes a huge difference, so getting a drop on the first level with a non-amazon character can make a massive difference. Being a turn-based game, there are also instances where the RNG gives you a string of missed attacks, while your enemy gets a string of hits, which can cripple you. I've also been deep in a dungeon only to drink a potion which stripped all of my accumulated buffs (including HP) which pretty much ended a dominating run.

Even with all the lucky elements, smart tactics and good choices make far more difference than the random elements. Early on, I struggled to make it halfway through a dungeon, but now I make it to the 5th level on most attempts. It's a really satisfying game despite its simplicity, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who likes old-school roguelike RPGs.

Overall Score - 4/5

Bought in 2012 - 11
Gears of War 3
Batman: Arkham City
Zen Pinball 3D
De Blob 2
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Adventures of Tintin
Pinball Arcade
Hack Slash Loot

Finished in 2012 - 23
Batman:Arkham City
Batman:Arkham Asylum
Gears of War 3
Prince of Persia:The Forgotten Sands
Alan Wake
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
Fable 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Meat Boy
Mech Commander 2
Zen Pinball 3D
Chrono Trigger
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Elefunk
Back to the Future: Episode 3: Citizen Brown
Back to the Future: Episode 4: Double Visions
Back to the Future: Episode 5: Outatime
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Adventures of Tintin
Hack Slash Loot

Overall Score: +12

Deus Ex: Human Revolution beaten. A bit to long, weird bosses, but still very good.

Now playing
Skyrim

Bought - 0
(PixelJunk Eden)

Beaten - 7
Gemini Rue
Back to the Future - Episode 2
Gray Matter
Ghost Trick
The Witcher 2
Shogun 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Remaining backlog
Skyrim - 57h played.
Alpha Protocol - 2h played so far.
Back to the Future - Episode 3-5
The Last Express
Trine 2
Fallout: New Vegas DLC
Renegade Ops DLC

I'll give myself a cumulative
-50 for 2011 backlog and in case subtract till there's 0 regarding games bought pre-2012.. this includes heavy hit like Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Batman AC, Witcher 2, Dungeon Siege 3, Deus Ex HR, Xenoblade, Two Worlds 2, Gothic 4, Fallout NV, Divinity 2, dead space 2, fear3, etc etc :|

as for 2012..
Bought during 2012
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
Metal Gear Solid 4 (bought it in 2011, arrived halfway, lost it, and rebought it this month)
Metal Gear Solid Collection HD
Ar Tonelico 3
El-Shaddai
Atelier Totori
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (finished the original one for xbox, fancy doing the same for sigma)
Folklore
Last Story
Kid Icarus
Prof Lautrec
Pokemon Heart Gold
Pokemon white (finished the black jap, ougghta finish one in an intelligible language i guess)...
Tales of the Abyss 3d
Super Mario 3ds
Zelda Ocarina of time 3ds
Devil May Cry Collection
Silent Hill Collection
Rayman Origins
Yakuza 4
Majin
Dark Souls (yeah i'm late to the party, bought it, sold it to a friend and rebought it just a few months ago)
Ultimate marvel vs capcom 3
Blazblue continuum shift extend
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Enslaved
Zelda SS
Might and Magic VI
Kingdom of Amalur

Currently working on 2012
Hyperdimension Neptunia

Cumulative score: -31
2011/2012 score: -81

i can do eet!

ghibli99

Updates:

Still on the last case of Phoenix Wright 1. This game feels a bit too long. :p

No progress on DKC2, but it's awesome. Very challenging, better level design, fantastic music.

To celebrate A Link to the Past's 20th Anniversary, I decided to play through this again. Currently in the Swamp Palace. It's been a long time since I've played it, but it's shocking how different this is from modern Zelda games. So much more streamlined with incredible pacing and some truly diabolical dungeons. Good challenge, too... I've died quite a bit, so I've been thankful for bottles/fairies.

Aru

Bought in 2012:
- Final Fantasy XIII-2
- Lumines Electronic Symphony
- Uncharted Golden Abyss

Cleared in 2012:
- Lumines Electronic Symphony (8.5/10): Great game but I miss some modes from Lumines 2
- Uncharted Golden Abyss (8.5/10): Great game. Better than U:DF, but not as good as U2:AT.
- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (7/10)
- Katawa Shoujo (7/10): Enjoyable VN with an unusual setting.
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (8.5/10): A lazy port of a great game, that hasn't aged very well, especially its battle system. Camera is sometime awful.
- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (9/10): Great SRPG.
- Xenoblade Chronicles (8.5/10): Very good JRPG, great design decisions but the battle system and sidequests became boring after a few hours. The first half of the story is kinda slow too, and I didn't like the characters that much. Felt too MMORPG-ish for me.

What's left in my backlog (Current score: -49):
- Blazblue: Calamity Trigger (PS3)
- Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)
- Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (PSP)
- Yakuza 3 (PS3)
- Little Big Planet (PS3)
- Super Stardust HD (PS3)
- Killzone Liberation (PSP)
- Little Big Planet (PSP)
- The Eye of Judgment: Legends (PSP)
- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (PS3)
- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (PS3)
- Tomb Raider Legend (PS3)
- Tomb Raider Anniversary (PS3)
- Tomb Raider Underworld (PS3)
- Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (PS3)
- Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (PS3)
- Vagrant Story (PS1)
- Disgaea Infinite (PSP)
- Fate/unlimited codes (PSP)
- Metroid (NES)
- Super Mario Bros. (NES)
- The Legend of Zelda (NES)
- Plants vs. Zombies (PS3)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
- Megaman Zero (DS)
- Megaman Zero 2 (DS)
- Megaman Zero 3 (DS)
- Megaman Zero 4 (DS)
- Golden Sun (GBA)
- Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)
- Costume Quest (PS3)
- Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (DS)
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360)
- Jade Empire (Xbox)
- Chrono Cross (PS1)
- Parasite Eve (PS1)
- Ys: The Oath in Felgana (PSP)
- Ys SEVEN (PSP)
- Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (PC)
- Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
- Phantasy Star Portable 2 (PSP)
- Super Metroid (SNES)
- Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (GBA)
- The Legend of Zelda : The Minish Cap (GBA)
- Wario Land 4 (GBA)
- Wario Ware Inc.: Mega Mini-games (GBA)
- Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (GBA)
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)

Now playing:
- Deus Ex Human Revolution
- Megaman Zero

I'm not counting games that I got for free (gifted or digital offers / PS+) and don't want to play.

Brashnir

Updates:

Still on the last case of Phoenix Wright 1. This game feels a bit too long. :p

The 5th case in the DS version is actually an extra case tacked onto the end of the game for the DS release. It's fairly interesting on its own, but it sort of exists outside the story arc of the first 3 games.

Would just like to say; proof that this thread has had an affect on me... I didn't buy Fez. :) I also won't be buying Witcher 2. Trials Evolution will be the hard one.

Stay strong, blitzers!

ghibli99

The 5th case in the DS version is actually an extra case tacked onto the end of the game for the DS release. It's fairly interesting on its own, but it sort of exists outside the story arc of the first 3 games.
Really? That's cool. I noticed immediately that there were elements not present in the other cases that made it stand out. Hopefully I'll finish tonight!

nonnocere

Update - 4/15/12
http://backloggery.com/caduceus

January 2012
Purchased: 0

Finished: +2
LEGO Star Wars 3 (360) - 100%
Sly 3 (PS3) - Platinum

February 2012
Purchased: -2
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360)
LEGO Harry Potter 2 (360)

Finished: +2
Uncharted 2 (PS3) - Platinum
Saints Row 2 (360) - 42 achievements, probably one with this one.

March
Purchased: -2 - Best Buy coupons hurt me.
Batman: Arkham City (PS3)
Rage (360)

Finished: +1
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoing (360) - 50/50

April
Purchased: -6 - Damn you B2G1
Resonance of Fate (PS3)
Record of Agarest War Zero (PS3)
Hyperdimension Neptunia (PS3)
Kameo (360)
Prince of Persia Trilogy (PS3)
Atelier Totori (PS3)

Finished: 0

Total: -5

What can I say, I had a moment of weakness. That and ME3 is $40 this week, which I still may jump on. I am nearly complete with Batman: Arkham City and playing through Crackdown 2 with a friend. Maybe I can redeem myself yet.

Already not doing so well - bought three games over the past couple of weeks. I was sick in bed for a couple of days and stupidly justified buying some portable games. I picked up Unit 13, Dissidia 12, and Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack.

I also may pick up Xenoblade soon, as I'm worried about the availability of it down the line.

Backloggery

Bought in 2012: -22
Beat in 2012: 17
Current Score: -5

Beaten:
  • Portal 2
  • Super Stardust Delta $
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss $
  • Rayman: Origins $
  • Child of Eden
  • Shinobi
  • Nano Assault
  • Resident Evil: Revelaitons $
  • Vanquish
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Mutant Mudds $
  • Metal Torrent $
  • L.A. Noire
  • Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition
  • Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!!! $
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising $

Impressions:

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition - Despite the setbacks, I did complete one game that I've been playing on and off since the end of last year, which was the Halo Anniversary game. Like many, I had a ton of good memories playing this game back in the day, and I never quite enjoyed any of the other games in the series as much as this one.

That being said, nostalgia is a powerful force, and the game really didn't hold up too well for me. The first four levels were a blast - as fun as I remembered, but once I got to the fifth stage (the one with the bridges) the repetition and endless corridors really started to get to me, and by the eighth stage, where you basically have to do it all again, I had to force myself to finish the game.

Also, the nostalgia goggles wore off even more when annoying glitches and bugs kept popping up. Checkpoints not activating remained a constant problem. Nothing worse than struggling through a very difficult area, making a lot of progress, dying, and realizing that the game didn't activate a check point since an enemy might have still been in the vicinity, even if I didn't notice them. Also, falling through elevators, guns getting stuck in walls, and things of that nature helped diminish some of the fond memories.

Glad I got through it, and I'll probably still put some more time into multiplayer here and there, the first few levels are still great, but sometimes it's best to keep memories as memories.

dolphx

Neo Member
I haven't had much time to play games. But there's always time to buy some new ones ;)
Also got 2 new games as easter present from my girlfriend: Alter Ego and A New Beginning
We love to play P&C adventure games together.
I also grabed the Gothic Collection as it was on sale on steam...
I'm also pretty nostalgic these days, so I added some games to my replay list, like Hidden&Dangerous, Desperados and Commandos 1+2

http://howlongtobeat.com/userpage.php?username=dolph

Purchased in 2012: -12
  • LA Noire DLC (XBox 360)
  • Bulletstorm (XBox 360)
  • Yesterday (Steam)
  • The Next Big Thing (Steam)
  • Memento Mori 2 (PC)
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
  • Lost Chronicles of Zerzura (PC)
  • Alter Ego (PC)
  • A New Beginning (PC)
  • Gothic (Steam)
  • Gothic 2 Gold Edition (Steam)
  • Gothic 3 (Steam)
Beaten in 2012: +14
  • 15 Days (PC)
  • Halo Anniversary (XBox 360)
  • LA Noire Main-Story (XBox 360)
  • Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
  • DJ Hero (XBox 360)
  • DJ Hero 2 (XBox360)
  • Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
  • The Next Big Thing (Steam)
  • Tales of Monkey Island Episode 3 (Steam)
  • Tales of Monkey Island Episode 4 (Steam)
  • Tales of Monkey Island Episode 5 (Steam)
  • Grim Fandango (PC)
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
  • Alter Ego (PC)

Total: +2

Currently Playing:
  • LA Noire DLC (XBox360)
  • Bulletstorm (XBox360)
  • Skyrim (Steam)
  • Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe (PC)
  • Desperados (PC)

Damn, I went from +5 to 0 in one Update...

Some stats from howlongtobeat:
Backlogged Games: 124 Time To Complete: 120 Days, 2 Hrs, 34 Mins
Replay Games: 6 Time To Complete: 1 Days, 20 Hrs, 36 Mins

Everdred

Backlog on HowLongToBeat.com

Bought In 2012:
Bulletstorm
Crysis 2
Duke Nukem Forever
GTA 4
Max Payne
Max Payne 2

Beat in 2012:
1. Renegade Ops
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution + Missing Link
3. BioShock
4. Crysis 2
5. Portal

Total Score: -1

Backlog Priorities:
BioShock 2
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Duke Nukem Forever
GTA 4
Max Payne
Max Payne 2

Medal Of Honor

Well some new purchases have wiped out my positive score, BUT I'm going to work my way through Max Payne 1 and 2 quickly before the 3rd comes out.

Brashnir

Picked up Trials Evolution tonight, for another -1, bringing me back down to +11 for 2012.

If it's as hard as the original, I may never finish it. The checkpointing seems pretty generous so far, so maybe that won't be a problem this time. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

coopolon

My backloggery.

Bought so far in 2012: 2
Beaten so far in 2012: 9
Score: +7

Purchased in 2012
Kingdoms of Amalur - Reckoning:
Mass Effect 3:
Beaten:
Psychonauts:
LA Noire
Puzzle Quest:
Grand Theft Auto IV:
Warcraft 3:
Bastion:
Sam and Max 204

Mass Effect 3: Did a pretty intense playthrough of ME1, ME2+all story DLC, then ME3 with the same character. I really enjoyed myself. I think ME1 has the best story, ME2 the best combat, and ME3 looks the best and has better combat than ME1 and better story than ME2. Mass Effect 3 was pretty good though. All my team survived from ME2 so some of the missions they were incorporated in were some of my favorite moments of the entire series
(Mordin and Legion specifically)
. Unfortunately, the team in ME3 is terrible but I was still able to find a few people I liked having around. The game really played on my emotions a few times more successfully than any previous game has because I was so invested in so many of the characters. Level design wasn’t as good as ME2, but was still fun. Then the ending. Holy cow. While I think it’s silly people are trashing the entire game because of the ending, the ending is pretty damn bad. What makes it so frustrating to me is that it would have been so easy to make a good ending because of how invested the audience is. It is one of the biggest disappointments I’ve ever had in an entertainment medium, but everything except the last half hour is excellent so I still love the game.
Drakensang: The Dark Eye - I loved this game. Primarily because it was so surprisingly good. It has very real faults though: the story/setting/art style are about as generic as they could possibly be, but they’re all done competently. The camera in combat is very frustrating because it always goes to one character's perspective, rather than pulling all the way out so that you can see the entire battlefield. The localization is laughably bad, including the translation and the voice acting. Finally and most importantly, the pacing can be really off in some sections. Part of the problem is you have an extremely slow running speed and you have to walk a lot, so moving between two parts of a city takes way longer than it should and kills any build up the quests may have. I doubled my running speed via a mod and it still took way too long to get places, I can’t even imagine playing it vanilla. In addition, some of the mobs in dungeons take way too long to kill and there are way too many of them. Primarily I am thinking of amoebas (who regenerate health very fast) and stone goblins who have lots of armor (this was a big problem for me since both of my warriors were axe/maces which suck against armor, so that’s partly my fault.) Neither of these enemies were hard to kill, they just took forever to kill. Yet despite all its flaws, the game does so much so well. I loved the leveling system - instead of waiting for every level before adding new spells, talents, and stats like in most RPGs, in Drakensang you build your character with experience points. So it might take 100 experience points to raise your swords ability while the next level is still 1000 experience points away. Rather than having to wait till you hit the next level, after you’ve earned that 100xp you just spend it on your swords. It makes leveling a much more interesting process and you are constantly improving, even at end game content where in most RPGs you’d have to wait an hour or two to hit the next level. I like microing in isometric RPGs and this game is all micro. The AI is terrible and there are no gambit/tactics systems so it is all micro all the time which was great for me. The combat system is another strength giving multiple rock/paper/scissors equations that make many fights very interesting. It probably succeeds so much here because it draws from a well established PnP game, but it has a noticeable benefit in the game. Overall the game is too easy, but there are enough interesting fights that I was willing to overlook that problem. It is really the stereotypical “fans of the genre” game. For people who love this genre, it’s a great addition, with its greatest strength being that it has a good combat system that is distinct from D&D (which pretty much every other well designed combat system in the genre does ) and it’s not shit like Bioware’s original systems (as seen in Dragon Age). If you didn’t finish playing NWN2 and Dragon Age Origins wishing for more though, this game is emphatically not for you.

Cleared from Backlog (meaning I played them and decided I don't want to play them anymore but didn't beat them)
Dungeons of Dredmore:
Puzzle Quest 2:

Currently Playing:
Drakensang: The River of Time: Figure since I’ve gotten so well acquainted with the TDE ruleset I might as well roll right into the next one. Supposedly this one is more of the same but better from the dark eye so I am very excited. I also have the Phileasson’s Secret DLC installed.

Asparagus

Backloggery

LoD should be beat in a day or so, I only have two more quests left. Horsebag is tearing it up! Freelancer still looks and sounds amazing, the story was a bit pants but I loved it all the same.

March/April

Currently Playing:
Diablo II: LoD

Bought: -1

Beat: +3
Wolfenstein 3D: Spear of Destiny
Diablo II
Freelancer

Current Score: 20

Everdred

Backlog on HowLongToBeat.com

Bought In 2012:
1. Bulletstorm
2. Crysis 2
3. Duke Nukem Forever
4. GTA 4
5. Max Payne
6. Max Payne 2

Beat in 2012:
1. Renegade Ops
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution + Missing Link
3. BioShock
4. Crysis 2
5. Portal
6. Max Payne

Total Score: 0

Backlog Priorities:
BioShock 2
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Duke Nukem Forever
GTA 4
Max Payne 2
Medal Of Honor

So it took me an entire month to finish reading A Clash of Kings. Mind you I took a week off for PAX East, but still, wow.

Back on the gaming track, yesterday I started with a short one and it is beat as of a few hours ago today. God of War: Origins Collection: Chains of Olympus is done. I am counting the 2 games separately.

Puts me at +9, for now

Beat: (+11)
1. LA Noire: Complete Edition
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
5. No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
6. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
7. Duke Nukem Forever
8. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
11. God of War: Origins Collection: Chains of Olympus

Bought: (-2)
1. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
2. Mass Effect 3

Backlog now at: 23
http://backloggery.com/gryphter

Deciding on what next. I think I'm going to play something else before Ghost of Sparta, just to break them up.

Update: I failed miserably and bought Trials Evolution, The Witcher 2 & Torchlight.

Bought: -8
Completed: +8
Total: 0

Finished
  • Gears of War 3
  • Journey
  • Limbo
  • Madden 12
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Trials HD
  • Uncharted 3

Now Playing
  • Forza Motorsport 4
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Trials Evolution

Backlog
  • Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
  • Bastion
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Devil Survivor: Overclocked
  • Fallout 3
  • God of War III
  • ICO & Shadow of the Colussus HD Collection
  • Infamous 2
  • Just Cause 2
  • L.A. Noire
  • Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planewalkers 2012
  • Mortal Kombat
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Portal 2
  • Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
  • Saints Row: The Third
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Terraria
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Witcher 2
  • The World Ends With You
  • Torchlight
  • Trine 2

ghibli99

Original post updated.

+7 for the year. Finished The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. What a game. I haven't played it in a decade, and haven't finished it since its original release. After all this time, it's now clear to me why fans so strongly defend this game as the best in the series. It really is special.

Might get myself into double-digit positives finally with Phoenix Wright, DKC2, and NSMB DS finishing up soon.

Updated my post as well.

April has been a month of weakness - ended up picking up 5 more games - Trials Evolution, Fez, Xenoblade, TWEWY (I owned this years ago, but had sold it and don't remember if I ever beat it, so I'm including it), and Monster Tale.

On the positive side, I beat two games this weekend, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!!! and Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Mutant Blobs was a bit of fun, but honestly, I wouldn't have purchased it if weren't for the Vita software drought. I obtained all trophies, and I probably wont' be revisiting the game.

I had about seven missions left in Kid Icarus, so I finally wrapped that up. It's really too bad about the controls - I could see this being one of my favorite games due to its sense of humor and quirkiness, but I still think the controls are terribad. I would like to revisit it more to unlock more of the treasure hunts, but unless there is a patch to use twin sticks on the Circle Pad Pro, I don't know if I'll bother.

Now at -5 for the year.

guest1321

Backloggery

Bought in 2012: -9
Beat in 2012: +14
Current Score: +5

Beaten:

Currently Playing:
  • Super Meat Boy

Backlog Priorities:
  • Borderlands
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Forza Motorsport 4 [aiming for 100%]
  • Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
  • Portal 2
  • Rage $
  • BIT.TRIP RUNNER
  • Metal Gear Solid $
  • Metal Gear Sold 2: Sons of Liberty $
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater $
  • The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition $

Impressions:

Bulletstorm (2.5/5) - I was extremely underwhelmed by this game. After seeing it on so many of GAF's top 10 lists for 2011 GOTY's voting thread I really thought I was in for something cool. I'll start with what I liked first. The variety in weapons was actually pretty neat but I found half of them to be absolutely pointless. I really only used the pistol and the rifle and if I ran out of ammo I used whatever else was equipped. The point system for kills was entertaining but considering I was forced to kill 90% of the enemies the same way it seemed like a BS extra. The variety in AI was actually pretty good and I liked that I was fighting various factions and that there was interesting relationships that surrounded each of them. The level design wasn't all that bad either even if you were forced down corridors and limited to not be able to jump on things. The kicking and leashing mechanisms were cool but after a while I found them to be rather boring. I recall the graphics being praised by other but I did find myself feeling any sort of connection with them. The visuals were not as crisp as I had expected but I attribute that to the fact that it was on a 360 (which is where a majority of my gaming is done) and not a PC which I believe is the fan base from which most of the praise was coming from. The art style was certainly different but again it did not do much for me. The story line was unique and something I have never really experienced before so I appreciated the fresh take but at the time I found it to be devalued through the stupid interactions between characters. I know this was the intended direction and I'm sure there is an audience that really enjoys this but I felt it detracted from the game. I finished the game on hard and don't really plan on picking it back up for a replay or additional content/multiplayer. Interesting and unique feel, but just not for me.

Ms. 'Splosion Man is done. I love the series but damn, I am not going to lie. Some of the stages were brutally frustrating. Glad to be done with this one.

Puts me at +10, for now

Beat: (+12)
1. LA Noire: Complete Edition
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
5. No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
6. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
7. Duke Nukem Forever
8. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
11. God of War: Origins Collection: Chains of Olympus
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man

Bought: (-2)
1. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
2. Mass Effect 3

Backlog now at: 22
http://backloggery.com/gryphter

I think I am going to read something next. Part of me wants to read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter before the movie comes out, another part of me wants to read a comic book series; it's been a while since I read some comics. I would probably fire up Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

4/30 edit: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (book) is done. I am going to start my next video game tonight. Still deciding on what but it will most likely be Ghost of Sparta.

ghibli99

One more down (DKC2). Got the 102%... one of the toughest SNES games I've ever played! Posting the image of my tracking doc... will update my original post later. Have a good weekend folks!

20120427bb.jpg

stonedwal

Been a while since the last update - too much work, not enough play. Work is going to start settling down soon, so that should mean a little more gaming time.

Bought in 2012: -4
Beaten in 2012: +25
Current Score: +21

Bought:
Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
Mass Effect 3 (360)
Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
Binary Domain (PS3)

Beaten:
Shadows of the Damned (PS3)
Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Wii)
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (Xbox)
Total Overdose (Xbox)
Deathrow (Xbox)
Sid Meier's Pirates! (Xbox)
Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PS3, Sly Trilogy)
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (PS3, Sly Trilogy)
The House of the Dead: Overkill - Director's Cut (PS3)
Urban Chaos: Riot Response (Xbox)
NBA Jam (PS3)
Banjo-Tooie (XBLA)
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (3DS)
Dead Island (360)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PS3, Origins Collection)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (GCN)
Resident Evil 0 (GCN)
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (PS3)
Mass Effect 3 (360)
WWE Day of Reckoning (GCN)
WWE Day of Reckoning 2 (GCN)
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (360)
Binary Domain (PS3)
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (PS3)
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage (PS3)

Currently playing:
Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Wii): For some strange reason I can only seem to play Kirby games for 15 minutes at a time.
Crysis 2 (360): Needed a quick/easy FPS.

Still plan on returning to Majora's Mask and Okami some day. Gotta say it was a bad idea to go back to back on the Day of Reckoning games. All 4 One is the worst game in the Ratchet & Clank series. DW: Gundam 3 was quite good. Ken's Rage continues the proud tradition of bad Fist of the North Star games, and is probably the worst Musou game I've played (disclaimer: haven't played DW6 or 7). Binary Domain is freaking sweet.

Bebpo

Banned
April has been a slow month for clears. But that's what happens when you play 100 hour+ rpgs.

Bought in 2012:
1. Castlevania LoS
2. Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing
3. Ghost Trick iOS
4. Gundam G Generation World
5. Beyond the Labyrinth
6. Resident Evil: Revelations
7. Super Robot Wars: OG Saga Lord of Elemental II
8. Professor Layton 5
9. Gundam The 3d Battle
10. Tales of Innocence R
11. Uncharted Golden Abyss
12. Hot Shots Golf 6
13. Wipeout 2048
14. Little Deviants
15. Super Stardust Delta + DLC pack
16. Escape Plan
17. Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND
18. Twisted Metal
19. Lumines Electric Symphony
20. Touch my Katamari
21. Good People Die
22. Tales from Space: Mutant Blob Attacks
23. SSX
24. One Piece Kaizoku Musou
25. Journey
26. Silent Hill Downpour
27. Wizorb
28. Warriors Orochi 3
29. Kid Icarus Uprising
30. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
31. Super Robot Wars Z2 Saisei-Hen
32. Skullgirls
33. The Pinball Arcade
34. The Legend of Grimrock
35. House of the Dead 4
36. Botanicula
37. Fire Emblem Kakusei

Cleared in 2012:
1. Dead Space Extraction
2. Uncharted 3
3. Rock of Ages
4. Orcs Must Die
5. Saints Row The Third
6. Outland
7. Final Fantasy Type 0
8. Renegade Ops
9. RAGE
10. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
11. Touch my Katamari
12. Professor Layton 4
13. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
14. Escape Plan
15. Journey
16. Assassin's Creed Revelations
17. SD Gundam G Generation World
18. Silent Hill Downpour
19. Edna and Harvey: The Breakout
20. Back to the Future Ep3: Citizen Brown
21. The Pinball Arcade (as much as you can clear a game like this)
22. Skullgirls
23. Dead Space 2
24. Dead Space 2: Severed

Total for 2012 = -13

ghibli99

Why do you rate your games out of 100?
Why not? :) I suppose I could just move the decimal place and go w/ stuff like 7.1, 8.5, 9.9, etc., but ultimately, it doesn't really matter. I just use what works for me... it reminds me of grades/percentage points in school.

Oh, and another +1 tonight for Mega Man (NES). Never beaten it before. Brutal difficulty, but it was a fun (albeit short) romp.

Managed to beat Defence Grid. Great game. Didn´t really consider it a backlog game, but a win is a win.
Didn´t get the Steam achievement though, and I didn´t an achievement for beating the fourth level in Shatter either. Something iffy with Steam?

Now playing
Skyrim
Back to the Future - Episode 3

Bought: -1
(PixelJunk Eden)
Botanicula

Beaten: 8
Gemini Rue
Back to the Future - Episode 2
Gray Matter
Ghost Trick
The Witcher 2
Shogun 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Defence Grid

Remaining backlog
Skyrim - 66h played.
Fallout: New Vegas DLC
Alpha Protocol - 2h played so far.
Back to the Future - Episode 3-5
The Last Express
Botanicula
Trine 2
Renegade Ops DLC

IrishNinja

http://backloggery.com/IrishNinja

sitting at 20 games; trying not to buy others and canceled my gamefly too. i don't feel like breaking into the longer PC backlog at the moment, nor finishing my Yakuza Dead Sousl plat, so i'm working on the handhelds now! Resident Evil: Revelations by the 1st week of May, and then i'm gonna knock out more of these ambassador titles.

Netto-kun

April has been a pretty slow month. Most of the finished games from this month have been sitting in my backlog for some time. Not to mention that I have also spent way too much time playing the Phantasy Star Online 2 Closed Beta. :D

Games bought in April:
Bug Princess 2 (iOS)
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor’s Treasure (3DS)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (PS3)

Games beaten in April:
Ys Origin (PCDL)
Bug Princess 2 (iOS)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
Irregular Hunter X (PSP) [Aka Mega Man Maverick Hunter X]
Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (PSP)
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor’s Treasure (3DS)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (PS3)

April
Bought: 3
Beaten: 7
March score: +4

March
Beaten: 5
March score: +2

February
Bought: 6
February score: +2

January
January score: +5

Backloggery

coopolon

My backloggery. Link to previous post. Wow, this has actually been a great year for me since work has been really slow so I've had a lot of time. I was feeling amazing about my +9 but some of you guys are real troopers!

Bought so far in 2012: 2
Beaten so far in 2012: 11
Score: +9

Beaten:
Drakensang: The River of Time - I had a great time with this game. They really did take everything they did right in the first game and then fixed almost all of what they did poorly. The biggest improvement is the pacing of the dungeons. There were very few dungeons that felt like they went on forever filled with trash mobs. And they had a lot of more interesting battles that had some kind of new twist added onto it (i.e. deciding how many seals you want to use against a megademon boss, the more you use the easier the fight, but you’ll be able to make a lot of money off the seals if you don’t use them.) Also a lot more interesting loot. Well, not interesting, just more magical loot. Another huge improvement is fast travel within areas. It really sped up the game a lot by being able to just fast travel wherever you wanted to go, and it facilitated better side quests since going back to talk to guy x is a lot faster when you can teleport vs having to walk back. Once again however, they have a horribly slow running speed. Fortunately same hack that worked in the first game worked in this game as well. While the story is a lot better, it’s still not great. Rather than defeat a nameless universal evil ala the first game, you have to get back a stolen treasure ( in other words, a macguffin.) Localization is just as spotty, there is one npc who is voiced brilliantly, most are done alright, but one companion (the thief) has terrible voice acting that really got on my nerves. They improved the graphics a little bit as well, overall it is a very good looking game.

Drakensang: Phileasson’s Secret - Mini expansion for the river of time. Most of it was quite good. There are two quest lines, the main quest and a side quest. Main quest is in 3 parts. The first and 3rd were both really good, the 2nd was terrible though. It is as if they forgot everything they learned from The Dark Eye and just created a super long dungeon filled with boring monsters to fight again. The side quest is also good. Graphically the expansion is the best work they’ve done, the ice cave in the side quest is one of my favorite areas of the entire game. Disappointing loot though. You get some good stuff right at the beginning, and then that’s pretty much it.

Not sure what I am going to play next. Thinking about trying to do FFXII on psx2 so I can get it in hd but not sure if my pc is up to it. I definitely want to play something with a gamepad though.

Hey guys, I'm currently building a backlog website, and I was wondering what sort of features you would want in it? I have some pretty ambitious ideas that will differentiate it enough from backloggery, but is there anything specific that you guys would find useful?

allansm

Bought in 2012: 13
Completed in 2012: +22
Current Score: +9

Finished:

Sideway: New York
Defy Gravity Extended
Skyrim
Tropico 4
PixelJunk Eden
Dungeon Siege III
Osmos
Cave Story +
Fractal
From Dust
Rochard
Hamilton's Great Adventure
Rock of Ages
BEEP
Psychonauts
SpaceChem
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Botanicula
Auditorium
L.A. Noire
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

ghibli99

Hey guys, I'm currently building a backlog website, and I was wondering what sort of features you would want in it? I have some pretty ambitious ideas that will differentiate it enough from backloggery, but is there anything specific that you guys would find useful?
I like metrics, personally. I have several columns hidden in my doc that do some calculations of value per hour based on price paid, weighted by score. Stuff like that is interesting. Also, having some type of set goal per month or year is good, like, hey, I want to beat 2 games per month this year. Tracking the actual vs. "forecast" is always fun to do (for me anyway).

And holy crap at Mega Man 2. Makes MM1 look like a prototype demo by comparison!

Top Bottom