• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ May Deals ("another awesome month")

androvsky

Already have the two Castlevania games, but it's still looking like a good month for me. Considering I got about $50 worth of games that I was planning on buying anyway with just the free PS+ codes Sony sent out early in the year, shelling out for the full year was an easy decision. It's all gravy now, which is good since I have to cut back on spending for a while.

It's a running joke, lighten up.
If it's still a running joke, not a single person has told it right since Yahtzee started it. It's more uncomfortable than funny.

Carl

Not a PS+ member but that looks pretty good. I hope this is the model Sony carry over into the PS4 instead of going down the pay for online route. Most of the people on my FL are PS+ subscribers so I gather it's pretty popular and Sony must be making a nice bit of cash out of it.

I hope they will too. Majority of my friends list are PS+ subs, and most people seem to like it. They also get to keep the "Free to play online" selling point, which is a bit reason why most of my friends bought it. Win win.

Is it really a deal if you're paying money to get discounts?

Surely if you save more with discounts than you paid for the sub...?

Wtf max payne? Awesomenauts? Gatdamn baby yes! Money well spent.

PS+ is the best season pass ever! Lol

May is gonna be a battlefield. So many things to play...

How much is this thing yearly? $50? I don't like to spend money on these kind of services, but it's getting hard to resist considering the great deals.

If I didn't buy as many games as I do now, I might consider it but I don't need to add to my backlog. Also, I already pay $30 a year for XBL and don't know if I want another yearly payment but I can see the value in it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Rock of Ages FINALLY comes to PSN.

At least it's free for the long wait. Too bad I had already bought it on Steam.

Oppo

Hey does anyone remember where you look up the expiration date for your sub? In Account Management somewhere, I assume?

I just realized that I've never actually re-subbed, I paid for the one year which had like 3 bonus months up front, then the PSN outage added some more... have no idea where I'm at. I just know I still have the little + sign.

androvsky

It's a massive rip for the developers but a steal for consumers.

Is it? A while after PS+ started, they said that games that were put up for free with PS+ actually saw higher sales from word-of-mouth, higher profile advertising, etc. And I'm assuming there's some sort of compensation to the developers/publishers that have their games put up for free, otherwise I don't think they'd agree to it.

Unless you know the details about how PS+ works on the developer side and want to share?

We don't know how much developers get if their game is given out for free from this though. They might be compensated accordingly for all we know.

I doubt it. Look at Shank 2, they must have lost a lot of sales, same with Trine 2 and now Awesomeanauts is getting the 100% discount treatment. Can't see Sony reimbursing them a ton of money or anywhere near the money they lose through potential sales.

Big mistake by Sony to put brand new titles up as 100%. They have a decent back catalogue on SEN, use the 100% discount to promote older games or titles that have sequels coming up and give discounts to newer titles. If these promotions start to eat into sales on SEN, developers simply won't bother releasing titles come next gen.

Wow Awesomenauts looks great! I think I might actually subscribe to PS+ before the end of April so I can grab this months free games also.

M.D

I doubt it. Look at Shank 2, they must have lost a lot of sales, same with Trine 2 and now Awesomeanauts is getting the 100% discount treatment. Can't see Sony reimbursing them a ton of money or anywhere near the money they lose through potential sales.

Big mistake by Sony to put brand new titles up as 100%. They have a decent back catalogue on SEN, use the 100% discount to promote older games or titles that have sequels coming up and give discounts to newer titles. If these promotions start to eat into sales on SEN, developers simply won't bother releasing titles come next gen.

You think Sony just do the fuck they want and put any game they want for free?

Ricky_R

Is it really a deal if you're paying money to get discounts?

Well if the discounts are more than what you pay for the subscription fee and if the games you're getting are actually games you want, then yeah. It's a deal indeed.

It's like Costco and I pay that fee with a smile on my face.

lol how is it not negative? By being the "master race" you're implying that every "race" is inferior.

It was never used by PC gamers as a term of superiority. Some PC gamers use it ironically to describe themselves. That's fine.

If for example a Nintendo fan uses it to imply PC Gamers are elitist, snobs, etc, then that's when its used in a derogatory way and banned.

GeoramA

Or maybe they're just trying to get more PS+ subscribers? You're really over-analyzing things here.

Carl

Speedymanic
Freelance PR For Microsoft
(Today, 04:48 PM)

Chris_C

My mind was imploding as i read your post, then i read your tag.

rbanke

Happy to see Trine 2.

I've had PS+ since it started and have totally altered my PSN store purchasing because of it. I used to buy games on day one from the store all the time and found myself constantly burned because all the games PS+ was offering, were things I already owned. After a while I made myself a rule to not buy any games on PSN anymore and after a few months have found PS+ to be well worth having. It's a strange thing though, because of PS+ I no longer buy games from PSN (Journey being an exception), SONY has actively caused me to spend less money on their service which seems like something they should have seen coming. Are other people doing the same thing as me with PS+?

You said it was a massive rip for developers though. This is just your opinion? I can't imagine Sony just doing it without consulting the publisher/developer. For example they may offer the game for 100% off in return for devs getting a bigger slice of profits on non PS+ sales.

mclaren777

I'm really excited about getting Floating Cloud God Saves The Pilgrims.

I thought about buying it last week, so I'm glad I waited.

You think Sony just do the fuck they want and put any game they want for free?

Seems so.

Seriously, I expect they reimburse developers to a certain degree but the loss of sales must be annoying more than a few developers.

It's anecdotal, but a few friends don't bother buying anything from SEN on release any more. Instead, they wait for it be heavily discounted via Plus or pick it up if it's 100% off. How is that a sustainable service in the long term if basically everyone does it or starts doing it?

We're seeing something similar happen on XBL, with people waiting for games to drop before they pick them up after being burnt in the past. Some titles are obviously big sellers, but it's not same service it was with regards to sales.

And before people bring up Steam, don't bother...it's not at all comparable.

androvsky

PS+ has been out for nearly two years now, and the games given away for free have been getting newer and higher profile... how does that suggest the devs or publishers are getting screwed? If anything, sounds like they're hoping their game is one of the free ones.

It's anecdotal, but a few friends don't bother buying anything from SEN on release any more. Instead, they wait for it be heavily discounted via Plus or pick it up if it's 100% off. How is that a sustainable service in the long term if basically everyone does it or starts doing it?
Simple. Everyone's not doing it. Nowhere near everyone, I'd wager.

You said it was a massive rip for developers though. This is just your opinion? I can't imagine Sony just doing it without consulting the publisher/developer. For example they may offer the game for 100% off in return for devs getting a bigger slice of profits on non PS+ sales.

Of course, I thought were beyond putting IMO at the end of everything.

That may be so, but what if non PS+ sales are poor? The devs have lost a large number of sales because of the 100% offer. It wouldn't be a problem if it was older titles, but the fact they are putting up brand new titles as 100% isn't viable for developers in the long term and it's bad for the service too.

androvsky

Of course, I thought were beyond putting IMO at the end of everything.

That may be so, but what if non PS+ sales are poor? The devs have lost a large number of sales because of the 100% offer. It wouldn't be a problem if it was older titles, but the fact they are putting up brand new titles as 100% isn't viable for developers in the long term and it's bad for the service too.

What if non PS+ sales aren't poor?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Pretty sweet month indeed. Lol at the Saints Row 3 price though.

I'd pay $50 for a year long resub but I got it for 1/3rd of the price a while back thanks to a Target price goof at the end of last year. Still thankful for that Wario, may you enjoy your vacation :(

PS+ has been out for nearly two years now, and the games given away for free have been getting newer and higher profile... how does that suggest the devs or publishers are getting screwed? If anything, sounds like they're hoping their game is one of the free ones.

Sounds like they hope their games are the free ones? WAT. yeah, I expect developers are happy that a large number of users won't ever pay to play their game.

Simple. Everyone's not doing it. Nowhere near everyone, I'd wager.

I didn't suggest everyone was doing it, I was merely musing on the possibility of it potentially happening. 'Giving away' new titles is bad for both the developers and the service.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Happy to see Trine 2.

I've had PS+ since it started and have totally altered my PSN store purchasing because of it. I used to buy games on day one from the store all the time and found myself constantly burned because all the games PS+ was offering, were things I already owned. After a while I made myself a rule to not buy any games on PSN anymore and after a few months have found PS+ to be well worth having. It's a strange thing though, because of PS+ I no longer buy games from PSN (Journey being an exception), SONY has actively caused me to spend less money on their service which seems like something they should have seen coming. Are other people doing the same thing as me with PS+?
Same for me.

Withnail

Look at all that FUD.

The publishers must be getting decent returns from it, otherwise PS+ would be getting worse each month instead of better.

Mother of God...

Awesomenauts – 5/1
Trine 2 – 5/1
Rock of Ages – 5/15

Rayman: Origins – 5/15 (PS Plus Price: $15.00)

I've been PS+ since the start and forgot to cancel auto-renew... but this year is bringing it. I was going to buy Rock of Ages, was curious about Trine 2 and have been thinking about getting Origins.

Happy to see Trine 2.

Not surprised. This will only get worse the more they put up new titles for 100% and the number of subscribers rises.

Good news for Sony, but potentially bad news for developers hoping to make a profit on their service.

Top Bottom