• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La Mulana [WiiWare] NA/EU versions cancelled

@MUWANdo

Banned
So Nicalis just gave up on getting La-Mulana approved and didn't even tell Nigoro they were being dropped? :/

Hopefully that means that some other publisher can pick it up then.

Nigoro is releasing the PC version internationally, and they're publishing it themselves. The WiiWare version is probably dead in the water.

Emitan

"La Mulana [WiiWare] NA/EU versions cancelled"

FUCK YOU I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS YOU FUCKS

Wait? PC version? Yay~

I just want to play it...

@MUWANdo

Banned
So what's keeping Nigoro from selfpublishing on Wii? Language barrier?

Among other thing, yes, but it's not as if native English speakers have it much easier. It's just more difficult generally to release on WiiWare outside of your own region--the certification process and the protocols required of you are just different enough that you can have your game rejected in one region for things that don't matter to another, and then there's the whole EFIGS issue and the multiple ratings territories which are specific to PAL releases.

Nicalis routinely trips over all this stuff as it is, but the addition of DLC (each one has to be certified individually) would have compounded matters.

JWtzD.png

Apparently Nigoro just found out. What a mess.

Ouch.

Zekes!

Even back when the Cave Story port was coming out on WiiWare Nicalis seemed shitty to work with.

Who the hell is going to want to work with them now?

Even back when the Cave Story port was coming out on WiiWare Nicalis seemed shitty to work with.

Who the hell is going to want to work with them now?

Pixel is still working with them (Cave Story +, Ikachan on DSiWare).
Terry of VVVVVV seems to be okay with his work with them.
They also just announced 8-Bit Fanatics are working with them.
Also, Night Sky is technically Nifflas' game...is he still working with them in any capacity?

I'd say it is more likely the issue with language that has ultimately led the two to communication issues. Example: the tweet. It seems Nigoro was unaware UNTIL the news was public. Was this the case, or was there a message sent to them that was not translated correctly? It's stuff like this we won't know for sure.

As a note, I don't think Tyrone hates Nigoro and is in fact very fond of them...but the fact is WiiWare is dead, it has taken over a year to certify everything, and there is no end in sight. It had to end. But maybe they should have talked it over a bit better...like, say, to a different platform?

That or maybe a publisher like Carpe Fulgar could help out with a PC release.

I believe someone mentioned earlier that Nigoro is handling their own PC release for this.

I really think this game would benefit from an expanded release, especially considering it's references to classic gaming.

Don't make me partially regret downloading Cave Story for Wii Ware last month, guys. Wow at that tweet, unprofessional indeed. Definitely feel sorry for Nigoro.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I would say something along the lines of "not buying Nicalis titles anymore", but it's not like they release anything.

They could have at least let Nigoro know first and leave eShop/WiiU as a possibility. But they take waaaaaay too long to get stuff released and obviously this is proof they may not be great to work with (whatever part may have been Nigoro's fault). Maybe other indie devs would be best served avoiding them based on this. Anyways, some of the blame also has to be placed on WiiWare being a terrible platform, may it die ASAP.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's essentially dead already. Retro City Rampage is the last high-profile game in the pipeline. The VC has all but dried up, too - the translated Monster World IV may very well be its last hurrah.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's essentially dead already. Retro City Rampage is the last high-profile game in the pipeline. The VC has all but dried up, too - the translated Monster World IV may very well be its last hurrah.

Wasn't that canceled too? I know it's coming to PC/PSN/XBLA now.

Maybe La Mulana can come to PSN and XBLA instead? Is it possible?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wasn't that canceled too? I know it's coming to PC/PSN/XBLA now.

Nah, it was never cancelled and has been re-confirmed a few times recently. It's scheduled for this month alongside all the other platforms (except maybe Vita, I can't remember if it's releasing for Vita in the same window).

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
They could have at least let Nigoro know first and leave eShop/WiiU as a possibility.

Nicalis didn't control development (obviously! wahey!). If Nigoro wants it on 3DS or anything else (PC, of course), they could and can do that on their own. The problem, as we've seen, is getting it out of Japan.

kunonabi

Well looks like my wiiware purchases are finished if all these things are cancelled. I think the only game I need now is nyxquest.

Yuterald

Oh my god, are you fucking kidding me? This was one of my most wanted games! I've been eye balling it for a year or two now. God damn, it's becoming increasingly difficult to care about new games anymore. I think this industry has left me a LONG time ago.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Oh my god, are you fucking kidding me? This was one of my most wanted games! I've been eye balling it for a year or two now. God damn, it's becoming increasingly difficult to care about new games anymore. I think this industry has left me a LONG time ago.

For god's sake it's coming to PC. And have you played the original version?

So Nicalis apparently didn't have the decency to tell Nigoro about the cancellation before making the announcement? Ah, it looks like they decided to opt for the "strategy" of preemptively throwing Nigoro under the bus. It's bad enough when the big pubs pull this crap (I remember a few devs last year commenting that they first heard about their game's cancellation from the gaming blogs), but hey, they can still fall back on mounds of money, a line of devs willing to work with them, and a churnin' PR machine. You'd think that a small firm that presumably lacks these advantages would try to make up for it by treating their dev partners with a little more consideration.

I played the WiiWare version 3 years ago, as well as NightSky WiiWare, at iDÉAME. This is a sad day :(

This year, I asked Tyrone from Nicalis and he told me that they were still working with Nigoro... But to be honest, he only mentioned the game when I explicitally asked him about it, and not when I just asked for a status update on every project they were working on. He didn't even say that it still was for WiiWare...

Oh well, if it appears on Steam I can be ok with this.

Crub

Is it true Nicalis bought the rights to Cave Story from Pixel?

Also, where is the NightSky HD version they offered a beta version of in HIB4?

Top Bottom